Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

mookface posted:

The Canadian lady's story is hilarious.

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/m/episodes/2012-2013/into-the-death-zone

Here is a link to a documentary about it. She was a loving idiot.

What a bizarre trainwreck of one willful person.

"For the sixteenth time this is stupid and you're not trained and you're gonna die"
"Nah it's cool I'm willful"

Canadian piano player just like :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Just finished Into Thin Air and watched Storm Over Everest, it was weird to have the rest of dramatis personae talk about the event without Jon there in the Nova episode.

Let's see some dumb rich people start climbin'

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Chris! posted:

They're changing the recommended route up Everest to avoid the left side of the Khumbu icefall, which is relatively easy to climb but where the majority of avalanches happen, to be replaced by a more central route up the icefall, which will probably kill people in different ways. I think a more technical but safer route is a good thing, though maybe less people will summit / more people will die of exhaustion.

It seems absurd that they had been using what is often described as a horrifying deathtrap for the sake of "inexperienced climbers" when I remember in Into Thin Air that he found the icefall to be the most terrifying part of the ascent.

But I guess when every investment banker wants to be short-roped up the "easier" trail...

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

DerekSmartymans posted:

Poz my -40 degree hole...

I drop my gortex jorts + shake my neg frostbitten rear end @ u

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

I was watching Dark Side of Everest and this lady's story was in the middle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francys_Arsentiev

She just went up to be The First American Woman Who Climbed Without Supplemental Oxygen (tm) and the interview with her family is :smith: tier. Her son was 7 and he goes "Well it was my call that my mother went and died, she asked me, and I didn't want her to hate me forever for denying her dream." and he was SEVEN. What a thing to live with.

Earlier in the thing Buck goes "There's no accomplishment for climbing Everest if you aren't Tensing or Mallory." And he was right. But we wouldn't have this thread if people were sensible :unsmith:

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

6 (66) :devil: shall fall to the ineptitude of their own hypoxic actions

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

I'm just saying that if another entire team is wiped out, they'll close the mountain again. You have be hoping for some kind of global warming-generated hyperstorm to destroy the mountain here to go over 20.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

If all the conditions were a smidge* they could just turn the corpse field into a fertilized garden :angel:

*not whipped by storms, dessicating winds, exposed to nil oxygen and far less solar radiation and also hosted any life at all besides idiots

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Their relatively indestructible synthetic clothing will last on long after Chia Climbers begin to sprout.

Well, until the UV rays bleach it all white and then oh well

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Bitcoin guy should plant his flag at base camp next to the poo poo stalls and huge piles of garbage, perfect fit really.

Then the angry gods of the mountain will give him HACE because he defiled their land and everyone wins.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

I roomed with a Nepali guy when I first started in SF. He was not a sherpa. He did turn me on to a lot of family curries though. And basmati rice :yum:

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Ursine Asylum posted:

Only a little bit, it's in South SF, isn't it?

If I'm taking the BART down there I might as well stop at the Jolibees right at the San Bruno stop first (in tanforan)

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Hunterhr posted:

Got you crampons and ice axe?

It's just base camp compared to going all the way to the hellish industrial wastelands of SSF and SFO. Whole parties are lost in the Airport Icefields, never seen again except for lost gloves amongst the Cinnabons.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

mistressminako posted:

Google has set up a Virtual Trek of the Khumbu region complete with videos and popup information on the areas in and around Everest.

The ambient sounds and walkarounds in the museums and temples in this are so cool.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

midnightclimax posted:

I'm guessing he's live-tweeting from the death zone, and lack of oxygen is kicking in.

ralp as the sherpa tired of saving hypoxic retards, cutting the cord and walking off

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

:fireman:
:pusheen:

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/strong-earthquake-felt-nepals-capital-30576522

Crazy, yesterday I was reading about the earlier quake that obliterated former Kathmandu. And after the Google View tour of the area, the place looked like anything would shatter it. I guess these pictures say that's true.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Well if it was felt in New Delhi... I thought being 150km from Kathmandu which wasn't the epicenter would lessen the doom and gloom aspect. But dang.

Edit: The speed of a video of Kathmandu after is amazing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAv0yHowP6Y

Dely Apple fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Apr 25, 2015

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Meatwave posted:

I wonder how many Sherpas are going to scram now. After last year's avalanche and now an earthquake.

Next year, a boulder rolls through camp, crushing a few dozen. In 2017, lava.

I wonder how messed up their riggings and ladders are now thanks to the avalanches and possible glacial shifts where they cross crevasses. You can't go up if your ladders are at the bottom of a 200m drop, right?

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

AGREE (hope he got paid)

When you scare Sherpa I guess you should be running too.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

A guy from base camp reports in. Base camp okay, upper camps, question mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4qQhQ86Ngo

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

I wonder how all the villages in the Khumbu region are, they seemed made from the same materials and distance I'm this quake seems to not be that great of a buffer.

Stay safe awesome khumbu temple ghost

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Please type AGREE to let us use your national tragedy for free on all national wire services.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

gannyGrabber posted:

How long until we get Everest street view, in honor of dead google man..?

Google recently put up a really cool view of the Khumbu region area. Which is now sort of sad to browse through, isn't it.

I always thought it'd be really neat to visit one of those Everest inns and not climb the drat thing, but just take in the amazing view of the Himalayas as I vomit into a bag from altitude sickness.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Those aren't the Sierra Nevadas, there's water and snow :colbert:

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

A polite glacier, one that just wants to get to Tim Hortons and roll up their lid to win some Timbits.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

It's not like this disaster doesn't tie into the Nepali suffering in their life, their economy, and their heritage. And sacred mountains.

Indian rescue effort reports are amazing though, meanwhile America couldn't mobilize half as fast for NOLA.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

If Into Thin Air taught me anything, that Sherpa tea is like a health potion. Just drink some of it or pour it over the horrible wounds you just incurred, it's better than tuss.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Where would you want to be right now, the ice falls or West Side Baltimore?

Both are pretty frosty to wasps

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

See the heavens, descend into the netherworld of Cleveland.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

What's the version of Pele for Everest, because that mountain goddess will feast upon their tormented souls frozen on her slopes for all eternity with that hubris.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Chocobo posted:

Was there anyone stupid enough to have stayed on Everest? Even the sherpas should have been clear of this one shouldn't they?

"Well if we stay, we get to climb without anyone else in our way!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

The summit will crumble apart, and in its stead a massive ice block will emerge.

• Locked thread