Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
This game is what happens if one of those terrible Flash doll makers sells its soul to acquire a narrative, right?

Let Cedric take over. Then get some goddamn sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm going to go against the crowd here and say let Faust keep his own body. I mean, yeah he's an idiot, but it's still his body, some 600 year old ghost with a crazy mom going around spouting poorly written dialogue doesn't have a right to it. Hopefully Cedric can still hang around in the passenger seat of his brain and give advice on how to be less lame.

Let a guy from the middle ages start running around and he'll probably just immediately step out in traffic and get hit by a car anyway.

...drat it, I have a feeling I've already put more thought into the reasoning here than the author ever did.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Those hanging tendril things. Are we supposed to be literally inside our own brain or what? Jesus this game is giving me a headache. I wanted this game to be good, it had a fun premise, but what the gently caress is even happening anymore? I thought we were going to be gambling our way into Heaven or something, not this! Are you going to be showing off all the endings, or are there just the two?

Cerebellumn
Oct 29, 2011
I still can't believe that there hasn't been a use for Faust's stats since the fourth update. As if the results of that basketball game were at all alterable.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Cedric can sod off. Faust may be a total idiot, but it's still his body.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Cedric can drive.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Cerebellumn posted:

I still can't believe that there hasn't been a use for Faust's stats since the fourth update. As if the results of that basketball game were at all alterable.

I'm guessing that there's a single use for each stat. It's pretty incredible how shoehorned it all is.

Crepuscule Adepte
Feb 21, 2008

Why is my hair purple? It's from the blood of everyone that lost a bet against me.
Well, that's not entirely true. The skills that get the most use are manipulation and athletics. That being said, almost every scene vaguely important to the plot gives you the option to use manipulation to bypass it, so if you put 3 points into Manipulation, you're pretty much set.

Stats stop being used at the point you leave the country though.

Veris
Jul 5, 2007

Crepuscule Adepte posted:

Stats stop being used at the point you leave the country though.

No soul gambling, either. Which kind of defeats the point of the game

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
... No one sat down and thought "Hey, maybe we should actually include more of the mechanic our game is named after than just the introduction"?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I don't think they've even reached the "sitting down" part. Thia game was made standing up and in an hurry, like a coffee gurgled down five minutes before reaching your workplace.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
The most inexcusable thing about this game is there isn't a single thing about Kenny Rogers in it.

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Are you going to be showing off all the endings, or are there just the two?
Pfft, I'm only going to show off whatever ending we get

Crepuscule Adepte posted:

Well, that's not entirely true. The skills that get the most use are manipulation and athletics. That being said, almost every scene vaguely important to the plot gives you the option to use manipulation to bypass it, so if you put 3 points into Manipulation, you're pretty much set.
Yeah I haven't mentioned it, but there are things like picking up the stone in the shell game that are intelligence based. Also every time Faust engages in basic thought process like 'if this guy says I can't trust anyone MAYBE I CAN'T TRUST HIM' that's your intelligence points hard at work.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
We accept the fight for our soul. I mean, with the other option we... don't accept the fight for our soul. Which means we fight for our soul anyway, probably.

vancho1
Oct 6, 2013
Faust is stuck in his head with an alternate version of himself. Cracked.com has revealed the only true solution:

FIGHT or gently caress?

Of course, this game doesn't have the second option, so I guess he's shunted into fighting his alternate self.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Sorry Faust, but you're terrible and deserve oblivion, Cedrick take the wheel.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
We're seeing this one through to its mind-numbing end. Faust stays.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Not a good game for sure...

In theory, it seems like the game gives you a lot of opportunities to NOT end up in a confrontation with Hog: You cold not take the bet, you could decided not to follow up, you could not go into the apartment, you could leave it... Are all of those just fake choices and you are stuck doing them anyway?

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
AWWWW YEAH GIRL guess what time it is.

Haha just jokes. (Actually I didn't know this didn't matter, oops.)

How did you come here?
Your mother had enslaved me...but I made a deal with that cute witch, Faust's soulmate.
Peg? She knows about this? About the pact?
She knows much more than you, silly boy...Faust, it is true that he hates his mother. But he has no intention of letting you take any kind of control. All this time trapped has made his ego too strong. As soon as he gets on your body, he will trap your personality. You must fight him!
And how do I do that?
That tattoo on your chest will hold him back.
I should have known...a seal to keep me with him. So he is complete and has control over me.
But first you must defeat him. I'll help you. I'll give you my energy, but there's one thing you need to know. If you use my energy, I will follow you...I'll be with you until the day you die, maybe even later.
And how do I know I can trust you?
It's quite simple, Faust. You believe. And if you believe...you know.
Fair enough. Let's go!
I guess Faust is Goku now.

Placed both hands on my head. And hugged me. I felt a wave of energy and confidence going through me. And she disappeared.

Alright Cedric...do you want my mind? Come and get it!
You're brave. Faust. You really are a part of me.
My body and soul are mine!
Here this might help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=morPOHxUURI

This is your end, Faust! Say goodbye!

What is this?
It is the barrier of your will. That is why it was necessary for you to sell a large part of your soul.

Cedric created an energy sword and walked toward me.

You do not have enough power to stop me.

I started to feel something on my chest. My tattoo started to glow.

What's happening?
???

That's when I saw it. Right in front of my eyes, like a movie. Cedric's story.
Like a movie, but DEFINITELY not like a cutscene. Or another panel. Or anything that would take effort.

Now I remember how you died. I remember how I died...how you died. My father...your father. He tried to protect you...he tried to save us. But the inquisition...they wanted the son of the witch dead.
Yes, that's what happened. My mother hasn't always been the evil witch she is now. She used to make only little spells with her power. To make the harvest prosper...heal the sick...give strength to the hunters.
When I died...I mean...we...then she...
...She fell in disgrace. The kind of magic that she does today requires much more energy than a person can have. She made several choices, not too...ethical...the turning point was when she fell in love with my father. He was not a bad person, but he had another family. My mother was just a mistress to him, but he still loved me.
I remember...he tried to...protect you...me. He died trying.
My mother could not accept it. And then she put that curse on my father, so that his sould would never rest...
...And began a ritual to change the past.
Yes, a ritual with a horrible price. Hundreds of thousands of souls. The last step of the ritual was to bring me back on the anniversary of my death...so I could rewrite history with blood!
Alter reality. Correct, as she spoke.

Yes...but I've been alone for so long...stuck! My mind has no room inside of yours! I want to be free! I'm sorry, Faust...but I'll take your body and mind for me!
You may try...

He came at me, brandishing the sword again. I was expect the blow when my tattoo began to shine again.

She has absorbed me, and now will absorb Cedric.
AAARRHHG
We're basically just a soul vacuum cleaner at this point.

I...I felt it. My conscious was coming back. Back to my body.

I was in control. There were two voices in my head.

How good it feels to be free from that old witch!
drat! I am imprisoned here!
Don't be such a child, Cedric! It's not that bad! You'll see...
My son, is that you?
Faust, concentrate. Let Cedric take control. You can take control back later, just concentrate on your tattoo.

The spasms ceased, it was not my voice that was coming out of my mouth anymore.

Here it is, son. Complete the ritual. Use your blood to rewrite history! I found myself looking at the dagger, as if I was considering what to do. My chest began to glow again. A female form began to leave my chest.

That's not gonna happen, witch!
Are you free? How's that possible?
You do not need to know! What you do need to know...is that you lost. You lost the moment you tried to enslave a free spirit.
I do not know what you expect me to do. My son is with me now. We will complete the ritual!

NO MOM

W-why? ARGH!!
You've imprisoned me for all this time! You could have let me go in peace. I would have lived again!
But...uggh...it would not have been you, my son.
Die for once, witch!

However, none of them are ordinary people. Ordinary people just don't see it. They go by without even noticing the pub. Only the insane, the restless, and the misfits find this place. Take this man sitting in front of me, for example...

He was born with missing a part of himself.
And for some reason the bartender is narrating now.

I knew I'd see you again, fellow.
You really seem to know more than enough.

Now that part of himself is trapped within a tattoo.

Did you come to meet her this time? She's always around looking for you.

Hmm...I'm starting to think that staying in your body won't be so bad after all.
Yeah just wait 'till we go to sleep, rear end in a top hat.
Quiet Cedric! Don't ruin the mood.
Of course I came.
I was afraid it might not have worked...you know...the tattoo.
Your first magical tattoo worked extremely well, dear.
Sadly...I was defeated by a beginner.
No hard feelings, Cedric.
You can also hear him?
Everyone in this pub can hear him, Faust.
???!! Am I the only one who doesn't know anything?
Yeah Faust. You are the one who doesn't know anything. But in time you'll get the hang of it.

THAT'S IT ROLL CREDITS THE END GOTY LP OVER

Of all the games to make sequel bait for.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

In theory, it seems like the game gives you a lot of opportunities to NOT end up in a confrontation with Hog: You cold not take the bet, you could decided not to follow up, you could not go into the apartment, you could leave it... Are all of those just fake choices and you are stuck doing them anyway?
Yes and no. You'll always end up in the same place, but you can skip some scenes. If you escape from Hog he kills Wagner and you get arrested and never hear about it again.

Party Bug fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 27, 2015

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Well, that was a thing. Thanks for running the LP.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
What does this have to do with Faust, again?

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
It has Goethe's name on it

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Wait, either way the game ends like this? They don't even do the Bioware thing and have a different colored background or anything?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
You get a bad end if you don't get the tattoo.

Also, I was loving around with it because I was curious and even if you cheat in a shitload of soul nothing really changes. You can't accept the massive soul cost poo poo, it's just glossed over.

If I was making this game every offer would have been a choice, even if you couldn't afford it. Probably would have done some poo poo to mess with the player if they could successfully pay for a choice they had absolutely no mechanical way of affording at the time.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I tracked down the Kickstarter campaign for the game if anyone's curious.

Party Bug posted:

If you spend any soul trying to find or interact with Peg Faust suddenly 'doesn't feel connected' to her and he just leaves the bar after some awkward talk instead of getting his chest carved on. The game just cuts to the scene where he goes to find the witch. You also don't get any more soul and that might wreck you at the end of the game? I dunno, I've never got the bad ending.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

You get a bad end if you don't get the tattoo.

So basically if you choose incorrectly on a seemingly innocuous choice right at the beginning of the game, you're locked out of the good end and that's just that?

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 27, 2015

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Huh?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Game of the Year.

10/10

Needed more gambling.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Maybe there's a in the middle end I don't remember. I think you end up either losing your body to Cedric or giving control to the ghost lady I dunno this game is bad

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Such a good idea wasted by giving up, throwing the good ideas and gameplay out the window, and turning it into some baffling graphic novel thing. I'm actually kind of pissed by how they started so promisingly and then failed on all fronts, especially since this was Kickstarted. I should have known it would be bad news when they mentioned an Ouya version :v:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

...That is anticlimactic as gently caress. What's lady devil's deal, for one? How is Faust not going to go nutso with two other people in his head? So many questions, so little effort. If you're going to disguise a visual novel as a game, you have to have a good story to tell.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
That was cut rather short.

S.S. Neckbeard
Oct 6, 2007
Proudly lurking since 2000!
Guys, you obviously just don't get it. Otherwise you could see the mastery that the author put into this game thing. It is all an elaborate set up to end with Faust having two headmates. The sequel will deal with him trying to get by in a world where singlet privilege is rampant. There will be no gambling. It will sweep the coveted Tumblr GOTY awards.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I think the people who made this game didn't understand that just because some stories can leave the audience confused and still be good, it's not easy to do it right.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

So the final choice of the game is a but-thou-must. What amazing gameplay!

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
No lie, you could easily use the Choice of Games game-making system to put together a text version of this.

And do it better. Much, much better.

Thanks for the LP, now no one else need ever buy it.

Caros
May 14, 2008

RickVoid posted:

No lie, you could easily use the Choice of Games game-making system to put together a text version of this.

And do it better. Much, much better.

Thanks for the LP, now no one else need ever buy it.

Fun fact of the day, this game doesn't work for anyone running certain versions of Windows. When I first noticed the LP I got a little curious and went digging, I noticed the reviews were poo poo, and one of the biggest complaints is that the game just doesn't loving run on a lot of computers because its pegged to a certain version of, of all things, Internet Explorer.

I'm not tech savvy enough to understand the specifics, but it seems they built upon certain features that were removed in later windows updates. Supposedly they are working on a 'directors cut' version of the game that will actually function but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Frankly this whole thing is just astonishing at how utterly bad it is. I mean, how can you take a seemingly solid concept of "Sell your soul to the devil" and make it worse than Fanfiction.net stories I'll never know, yet here we are.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
The kickstarter video is amazing by the way.

Honestly I think the only way to do a game like this right would be to make it like that harry potter simulator or greatest game ever made The Yawhg or some other dumb stat management visual novel where you can have more of (or at least the illusion of) a piecemeal narrative depending on what you decide to spend your time/soul on. This was my serious game designer effort post I hope you enjoyed it.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Harry Potter Simulator? I'm assuming it doesn't actually have Harry Potter in the name, and is instead one of the magical school games.

Of which, the only two I can think of is Magical Diary (that one with the default character name of Mary Sue), and a game that had title like Acadamagic.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Kgummy posted:

Harry Potter Simulator? I'm assuming it doesn't actually have Harry Potter in the name, and is instead one of the magical school games.

Of which, the only two I can think of is Magical Diary (that one with the default character name of Mary Sue), and a game that had title like Acadamagic.

He's probably referring to Academagia there, and yes it's basically a Harry Potter simulator.

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

Well, that was... um... interesting, to say at the least.

By the way, there's a huge dick move at the beginning of the game when you deny the crone's suggestion to cut your own hand. You lose HALF (or close to it) of your soul almost right off if you want to survive!

I had to go back and restart the game. RIGHT AT THE BEGINNING.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!
This game could have benefited from having a system from Long Live the Queen. Varied skills where you have to sacrifice your soul to gain in order to progress the story. That would actually be, you know, Soul Gambling

• Locked thread