Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Nah he got sidelined as a schmuck in Season 2 and only won because he was mind-controlled by Dio. He got treated like poo poo far before the whole pro duelist and zombie students bullshit happened and it's one of the worst things about GX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Beef Waifu posted:

Chazz Princeton is like one of the shittiest loving names especially because it removes his Thunder chant. Tyranno Hassleberry is one of the only good ones, though.

How can you hate The Chazz?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

at least he gets a better rep than the female characters in any season of yugioh, ever

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

BlitzBlast posted:

How can you hate The Chazz?

I've hated the Chazz ever since I was like 13 and thought the Thunder chant was the hypest poo poo ever and that I just hate the name Chazz with an undying passion.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

It's very easy to watch GX because it's either or laughably terrible... it especially gets really laughably terrible from Season 2 on.

I was not laughing fergie, not one bit

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

You're right in what I was saying and I read your post wrong.
I have no idea what season 0 did.

Oh well, finding a sub of it is being surprisingly difficult so I guess it doesn't matter too much.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Beef Waifu posted:

Nah he got sidelined as a schmuck in Season 2 and only won because he was mind-controlled by Dio. He got treated like poo poo far before the whole pro duelist and zombie students bullshit happened and it's one of the worst things about GX.

The episode where he duels Aster is my favorite episode in all of GX, and I'm not even sorry. And at least he was still there in Season 2 and 4, he "bites the dust" halfway into Season 3 and then it's the Adrian and Zane Grimdark Party

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Ojamas are a big reason why I didn't like how he was handled because he just became a dumb joke character with those losers when he had much cooler monsters in his deck and even in the manga he gets Light and Darkness Dragon and owns Judai.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
The Ojamas are cool, actually. I play an Ojama deck because of Chazz and I'm not even sorry.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

at least he gets a better rep than the female characters in any season of yugioh, ever

Yuzu's doing all right, and has had what could be considered the best duel of the season. In the top 3 at the very least.

Edit: Also Chazz is the freaking best but he is handled pretty drat poorly throughout most of the series, which is a shame since he rocks.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

alcharagia posted:

The Ojamas are cool, actually. I play an Ojama deck because of Chazz and I'm not even sorry.

You are literal garbage

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

Aki was briefly good, until they decided that her being a good female duelist with superpowers was too intimidating and not feminine enough.

I have some hopes for Yuzu, but they are not high.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Beef Waifu posted:

You are literal garbage

Heh, not my fault you can't get your game on. I'll have you know I'm garbage with an Ojamagical scent. :smug:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Myriad Truths posted:

Aki was briefly good, until they decided that her being a good female duelist with superpowers was too intimidating and not feminine enough.

I have some hopes for Yuzu, but they are not high.
She was good for like, five episodes, max. Even by the end of the first arc you can see Crow sidelining her.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I feel bad for Aki because she was super cool and then opening of Season 3 happened and I knew it was downhill from there. It was cool there was an entire episode about her and Yusei going on what was essentially a date with Leo and Luca as a greek chorus so she could learn how to D-Wheel, but she only did one race and got knocked out of it pretty easily. I guess it's nice she had something of an actual romance with Yusei unlike the previous two series, but unfortunately she got sidelined too much

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

forbidden lesbian posted:

I was not laughing fergie, not one bit

Oh well, finding a sub of it is being surprisingly difficult so I guess it doesn't matter too much.

IIRC it does censor the stuff, with evil Yugi just driving them insane as opposed to outright killing them.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Another unpopular opinion I have: I don't mind, hell, I like Crow Hogan, I think he is a down dude

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Crow's fine, but he was not cool enough to be like... the third central character of the show. It really should've just been Yusei and Jack or Aki if they needed a third center.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

alcharagia posted:

Another unpopular opinion I have: I don't mind, hell, I like Crow Hogan, I think he is a down dude
Crow is okay

but I hate what he did to the rest of the cast. he basically sidelined the twins + aki so that they could have the main three characters basically repeat the Yugi/Joey/Seto dynamic.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Leo was garbage anyway to be perfectly honest

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Carly had an entire character arc about dying and not being able to be with Jack because of it and then they reconciled and Jack actually showed he cared about someone who wasn't himself and it was awesome and then she disappeared forever in Season 3.

alcharagia posted:

Leo was garbage anyway to be perfectly honest

He was, but his sister was cool.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Beef Waifu posted:

Carly had an entire character arc about dying and not being able to be with Jack because of it and then they reconciled and Jack actually showed he cared about someone who wasn't himself and it was awesome and then she disappeared forever in Season 3.

totally agree with this though, that was pretty bullshit

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

alcharagia posted:

I liked that they played up the family man angle with Crow, being a hero to the slum kids and all. Unfortunately that kind of fades out after the slum disappears overnight in the third arc.

Dark Signers was such a good arc. Crow was good there, all the good characters got some great duels, and the last duel is probably my favorite in the franchise (though some of the Arc-V duels come really close!)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah but Luca/Luna was cool. I liked that miniarc where she went on a fantasy adventure with a lion and the Dark Magician.

Basically I have to wonder if they got some sort of corporate mandate to make Season 3 more like Duel Monsters, like what happened to Gundam 00 inbetween seasons.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Like she showed up a few times in the Jack-centric episodes in Season 3 and I thought it was cute because I thought "aww, they stayed together, that's cute" and then she disappeared from Season 4 and 5 basically entirely until Jack drove off in the ending literally saying "WOMEN WILL ONLY GET IN THE WAY" and I was like :geno:

Endorph posted:

yeah but Luca/Luna was cool. I liked that miniarc where she went on a fantasy adventure with a lion and the Dark Magician.

i was confused by the ape king's minus curse

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The first season of 5D's was the best one I felt, because even though there wasn't a consistent narrative, it was mostly just character drama between Jack and Yusei with Aki acting as a really good subplot and Yusei couldn't just Stardust Dragon everything, so he had some really rad duels where he used Junk Warrior and even an improvised deck one time. Dark Signers was good, but I felt there was a lot of stuff that sort of held it down from being better, still enjoyable though. Then Season 3 happens and everything from the previous two seasons is just flushed down a toilet until the finale which was loving amazing.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I liked it when Yusei and Bruno stayed up for three days straight "talking about motorcycles"

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I liked both of the twins. :shobon:

Though I am probably the only person in the world who is generally fine with the token idiot, hot-blooded, tagalong kid in anime.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Look really I'm probably just glorifying the memory of the parts of Yugioh 5D's I found funny because oh my loving GOD Zexal is bad and I hate it

what the gently caress does kattobingu even mean

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I liked both of the twins. :shobon:

Though I am probably the only person in the world who is generally fine with the token idiot, hot-blooded, tagalong kid in anime.
Leo was fine when he was just the dumb kid tagalong and his sister was doing most of the actually plot relevant stuff, but then he pushed her aside

and then they both got sidelined, but she got more sidelined than him

basically 5ds is the story of the time Yu-Gi-Oh almost had not one, not two, but three decent female characters

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That being said, 5Ds eventually got that sick rear end Masaaki Endoh OP, so I'm conflicted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMta4I1CB54

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
My favorite part of Zexal so far was the bit where III blasted Yuma's lovely catchphrase out of his brain, and Yuma turned into a nervous gibbering wreck, because I am a horrible monster who wishes for the suffering of an 11-year-old. I hate Yuma Tsukumo.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

alcharagia posted:

It's not that Crow's a bad character, he's just the worst of the Joey characters. I mean, you've got Joey, Syrus, Shark and Gongenzaka, all really interesting characters in their own right. And then you have Crow, who's just... there. Nothing bad, but nothing good.

Although if the Crystal Beast guy is considered a Joey character, then he's definitely the worst of the bunch.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

Leo was fine when he was just the dumb kid tagalong and his sister was doing most of the actually plot relevant stuff, but then he pushed her aside

and then they both got sidelined, but she got more sidelined than him

basically 5ds is the story of the time Yu-Gi-Oh almost had not one, not two, but three decent female characters

I mean, everyone got pushed to the side and became bad, so I don't hold it against them. It sucked that in the three-way duel against Aporia Luna didn't get to do poo poo though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

speaking of OPs, can we talk about the newer dub OPs, because oh my god

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO6F2W-UOgM

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The 5Ds opening was my favorite thing about the dub for a long time until I heard Eric Stuart voice the knight dude.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

The 5Ds opening was my favorite thing about the dub for a long time until I heard Eric Stuart voice the knight dude.
going fast

makes me feel alive

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yu-Gi-Oh 5Ds is the story of how my love for Yugioh was rekindled by giant dorks riding on motorcycles playing card games and how it became one of my favorite series when I watched the finale and Junk Warrior happened

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

Yu-Gi-Oh 5Ds is the story of how my love for Yugioh was rekindled by giant dorks riding on motorcycles playing card games and how it became one of my favorite series when I watched the finale and Junk Warrior happened

Junk Warrior was like still in every opening but Yusei never used and him and I got so mad. But then the finale happened so I suppose I forgive them.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Endorph posted:

Basically I have to wonder if they got some sort of corporate mandate to make Season 3 more like Duel Monsters, like what happened to Gundam 00 inbetween seasons.

A new showrunner took over, wrapped up all the plot stuff in season 2 as quickly as possible and then went full steam ahead with generic shonen bullshit 101. Carly didn't disappear, that's the worst bit, she became a waitress in Jack's favourite cafe where he drinks absurdly expensive coffee and every so often was called upon to swoon over him with the other waitress there.

alcharagia posted:

Look really I'm probably just glorifying the memory of the parts of Yugioh 5D's I found funny because oh my loving GOD Zexal is bad and I hate it

what the gently caress does kattobingu even mean

YEAH I'M FEELIN' THE FLOW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dabir posted:

A new showrunner took over, wrapped up all the plot stuff in season 2 as quickly as possible and then went full steam ahead with generic shonen bullshit 101. Carly didn't disappear, that's the worst bit, she became a waitress in Jack's favourite cafe where he drinks absurdly expensive coffee and every so often was called upon to swoon over him with the other waitress there.

The Crash Town arc was pretty cool though.