Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Just a heads up for any dub fans in the thread; by the end of the month, all spinoffs (Arc-V excluded) should have Season 1 DVDs available to buy. GX and Zexal are already out, with 5Ds realeasing something soon. At least in the US. Not sure about other areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Man, I can't even watch 5Ds dubbed. Jack's voice and the original music is just too good, which I hate to say because 4kids somehow finds a way to make Yugioh better usually.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Beef Waifu posted:

Man, I can't even watch 5Ds dubbed. Jack's voice and the original music is just too good, which I hate to say because 4kids somehow finds a way to make Yugioh better usually.

the master of faster

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

forbidden lesbian posted:

No offense but I find it hard to follow your comment, it seems like you're saying he kills people in the manga, which I already know. I'm asking if he does in the tv show season that was never translated.

It is never made explicit in the season 0 show. Like, the dude who get lit on fire with the vodka doesn't actually drop his cigarette into the spilling liquor. Atem just makes him think he's lit on fire after he breaks the rules about using more than one finger. Same with the bully who gets dropped from the tower and the fighting game guy. They don't get physically injured. It is all "MIND CRUSH," and they become gibbering wrecks or go comatose which is arguably worse.

I never did watch past the first few episodes of GX. Now, I'm wondering what the hell you guys are talking about. All the female character chat is making me think that female Seto Kaiba doesn't live up to being a Seto Kaiba. That saddens me greatly.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Asuka loving sucks, she is like the most nothing character in the show which is dumb because she gets so much screentime and duels and her brother is the best and doesn't get nearly as much.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 14, 2015

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Just watched the first couple episodes of Arc-V and... it's very good??? I was not expecting that at all.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Dragonatrix posted:

Just watched the first couple episodes of Arc-V and... it's very good??? I was not expecting that at all.

Yeah, 'till now it has only had two filler-ish duels, and even then i'd only consider one of them bad. By the point we are at now (ep 39) the main trio have all developed quite a bit, have a pretty good duel ratio and holy poo poo the girl in the group has had a really good win.

Going back to Gx real quick: there is one episode I say everyone should watch no matter what, all the way near the end of season 4, episode 172 starts off with Judai jumping off an exploding building, bouncing from explosion to explosion until he summons Elemental Hero Neos so it'll explode the ground and break his fall, afterwards he picks up a card from the floor and it turns out the villain of the season left it there and Judai is essentially drunk but gets on his motorcycle and drives under the influence. Meanwhile back in the volcano school a kid is using D.A.D. to chump every character that's left on the show, so the dinosaur kid goes to fight him. Back to Judai drunk driving he crashes by the docks and suddenly sees the main villain of the show so he starts dueling him and slurring out that he wants his friend back. Dinosaur Kid is winning so D.A.D. Kid makes him relive his past life: he was a dinosaur. His dinosaur leg they put on him for reasons was his in his past life. And he's fuckign loving it he loves having been a dinosaur but then gets sad because he ate dinosaurs when he was a dinosaus and the D.A.D. kid brings the souls of the herbivores he ate and they start eating him and so he falls into darkness and sorta dies. Back to drunk Judai he's freaking out that the villain is using his best friend's cards until the villains shoots rainbows at him, causing him to sober up and realize he was just drunk fighting his best friend. Then they steal a boat the end.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

It is never made explicit in the season 0 show. Like, the dude who get lit on fire with the vodka doesn't actually drop his cigarette into the spilling liquor. Atem just makes him think he's lit on fire after he breaks the rules about using more than one finger. Same with the bully who gets dropped from the tower and the fighting game guy. They don't get physically injured. It is all "MIND CRUSH," and they become gibbering wrecks or go comatose which is arguably worse.

:( That's disappointing.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
The time when I bought the second issue of Shonen Jump and saw a man get burnt alive defined my youth, also goddamn I just realized that was back in elementary school.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dragonatrix posted:

The best is yet to come.

You haven't even seen The Man, Gongenzaka duel yet.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The latest episode of Arc V is out and... it was not quite as good as the last few episodes. Though that's to be expected considering what just happened. Still good though and the modifications to the OP were nice. (And now i'll spoiler the rest to be safe because it seems most people in the thread haven't watched any Arc V yet)

I still like how Yuya and Yuzu are actually discussing plot elements with each other and if the OP can be trusted it looks like some Yuzu clones are about to be introduced. Which i'm surprised they're doing so soon after the introduction of the rest of the Yuya's last week. When are we going to get some alternate Gongenzaka's. :colbert:

Also that duel was amazing. Just straight up beating your opponent up, even after his life points hit zero. This is what Actions duels were made for. And i'm surprised how endearing they've made the LDS trio, i'm actually upset Yaiba is out of the tourney and doesn't get to have a rematch with Gongenzaka next round. Though we might not have even seen it if so because Gon's duel is supposed to be the first one of the round but next episode is on Yuya's duel instead. :(

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Well, it could be that Fusion Gongenzaka is the tall figure that went with Fusion Yuzu. That'd bring us up to 4 Yuyas, 3 Yuzus (including the unseen Ruri) and 2 Gongenzakas which seems appropriate.

A manly Gongenzaka duel would be nice but hey, we're getting Dude That Will Punch You For Card Games Vs Yuya And His Two Blood-Thirsty Dragons Trying To Take Over, so that looks promising.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Well, it could be that Fusion Gongenzaka is the tall figure that went with Fusion Yuzu. That'd bring us up to 4 Yuyas, 3 Yuzus (including the unseen Ruri) and 2 Gongenzakas which seems appropriate.

A manly Gongenzaka duel would be nice but hey, we're getting Dude That Will Punch You For Card Games Vs Yuya And His Two Blood-Thirsty Dragons Trying To Take Over, so that looks promising.

There's a like a 99% chance that he will summon Rebellion Dragon at the end in desperation and go temporarily crazy.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I got the impression that this was meant to be a recap episode, to clarify the plot in case anyone was confused by all these dimension-hopping shenanigans. It also gave a quick rundown of what happened to the rest of the cast, thus allowing the plot to move forward without checking on something like 6 duels featuring secondary characters, even though it would be completely IC of Yuya to care about them.

Side notes: I am more and more curious of Reira's deck. Copying your opponents' cards isn't really that viable of a strategy, but I like the weird, alien feel his monsters have. I would like to hope that his monsters will get a real life release, but if his role isn't more important than what we are seeing it's unlikely to happen.

I really hope they give Mieru something to do besides drooling over Yuya and occasionally doing magic. They are doing such a good job at giving a female character some real, well, character, and it's a shame that they're banking on such a tired stereotype with her.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
GX is up

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

There seems to be a typo in your GX writedown. It says that the Ojamas are "insanely annoying and terrible", which is a pretty weird way of spelling "cool and funny".
Seriously though, I realize you're not fond of the Greek chorus but you could at least slap a picture of them somewhere.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jan 14, 2015

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

At what point in the anime (if ever) do characters stop normal summoning monsters in face-up defense position?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

paradoxGentleman posted:

I got the impression that this was meant to be a recap episode, to clarify the plot in case anyone was confused by all these dimension-hopping shenanigans. It also gave a quick rundown of what happened to the rest of the cast, thus allowing the plot to move forward without checking on something like 6 duels featuring secondary characters, even though it would be completely IC of Yuya to care about them.

Side notes: I am more and more curious of Reira's deck. Copying your opponents' cards isn't really that viable of a strategy, but I like the weird, alien feel his monsters have. I would like to hope that his monsters will get a real life release, but if his role isn't more important than what we are seeing it's unlikely to happen.

I really hope they give Mieru something to do besides drooling over Yuya and occasionally doing magic. They are doing such a good job at giving a female character some real, well, character, and it's a shame that they're banking on such a tired stereotype with her.

Mieru's basically in the same role as the XYZ loser from the LDS trio, namely an accomplished duelist who pushed Yuya to his limits but is now there mainly to serve as a gag and also probably lose to establish someone else as a badass (I assume Hokuto's going to lose next round). I do hope she gets to do other things as well just because it was fun to see a deck built around flip and ritual.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

I never did watch past the first few episodes of GX. Now, I'm wondering what the hell you guys are talking about. All the female character chat is making me think that female Seto Kaiba doesn't live up to being a Seto Kaiba. That saddens me greatly.
The Seto analogue in GX is Chazz, at least in the first season.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
I watched the first couple of seasons of GX and actually quite liked it. It is my shame.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hjalmar posted:

At what point in the anime (if ever) do characters stop normal summoning monsters in face-up defense position?

They've stopped in Arc-V! Although, admittedly, the very first time it was mentioned was Gongenzaka using a monster that you can Summon in face-up defense anyway.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
I was super cool when I was younger and totally organised a Yu-Gi-Oh! lunchtime club at me secondary school (which later expanded into just games in general).

Don't get me started on the problems with anime card effect vs real card effect discrepancies, like the face-up DEF stuff. It was a real hassle at times.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

PoshAlligator posted:

I watched the first couple of seasons of GX and actually quite liked it. It is my shame.

It gets much darker in later seasons, and I think that is what most people are objecting against.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jan 14, 2015

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Some people feel like the first two seasons are an over-long buildup to Jaden getting some actual development in the third. I'm not saying that's my opinion, but it's an opinion.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I've had the Season 0 theme stuck in my head ever since this thread. Thanks thread! :arghfist:

FLY AT HIGHER GAAEEEEEEEEEEME
http://youtu.be/sSRqAnzQdAY

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's not that it gets dark, it's that GX doesn't really build itself getting darker in those ways properly, so everything just gets dumped on you and it's all rather ridiculous too.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Wow GX seems stupid as hell, why do you like this again Fergie

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Because GX is either good or so bad, it's really funny.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Yeah, reading that summary it looks like I missed out on way too much, GX sounds like a loving ride. How does 5D compare?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Why is there space reserved for Zexal but not 5Ds? :cripes:

Momomo posted:

Yeah, reading that summary it looks like I missed out on way too much, GX sounds like a loving ride. How does 5D compare?

You be the judge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfDZjxFjvD0

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Xoidanor posted:

Why is there space reserved for Zexal but not 5Ds? :cripes:

I'm putting 5Ds in the same spot as GX, guy.

Momomo posted:

5Ds is crazy too, but in all of the right ways. Mostly because it sets the bar at playing card games on motorcycles and its rival character is the biggest ham to ever ham a Yugioh series and that's quite an accomplishment.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

T-That poor guy just wanted to play some card games :(

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Momomo posted:

T-That poor guy just wanted to play some card games :(

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
It always seems when I'm watching Yugioh I get to like the last 5 episodes of the series then just can never find copies of the episodes. I think it took me a year to finish watching the last like 3 episodes of 5Ds. and I was like 5 episodes short of Ze-X-al when I was unable to find them anymore.

hot pants
Nov 11, 2008
I watched the first couple episodes of ARC-V and although it's very much a YGO show, I really don't like the main character's outfit. He's a clown/entertainer so his gimmicky outfit should be more "clowny." Instead, they give him the jacket cape and army green cargo pants. They could've at least made his shoes seem big and puffy like in Kingdom Hearts, but he's just wearing regular sneakers. It's like they designed the top part of his character and called it a day on the bottom half...

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010
Rewatching the original series years later is a magical thing and I can't wait to watch GX again.

Although GX doesn't have the best character ever, Johnny Steps. :swoon:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Televisio Frankus posted:

Rewatching the original series years later is a magical thing and I can't wait to watch GX again.

I just marathoned the Battle City finals in the background today since I was home teleworking due to weather, and jesus, I forgot how loving nuts Dark Malik was. And how heart stabby the fake out with Jounouchi's death. All he had to do was say "attack" and he would've won after getting nuked by a god. :black101:

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

I just marathoned the Battle City finals in the background today since I was home teleworking due to weather, and jesus, I forgot how loving nuts Dark Malik was. And how heart stabby the fake out with Jounouchi's death. All he had to do was say "attack" and he would've won after getting nuked by a god. :black101:

Joey has by far the best duels in the series, especially in the Dartz arc. Real men play card games by punching each other! :black101:

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Televisio Frankus posted:

Yes it does. His name is Dimitri and he's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They dedicated a whole episode of the GX dub to some dude imitating Dan Green's Yugi voice and it was loving amazing.