Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

I liked when they were stuck in the giant computer fantasy world and you got to see the Duel Monsters in their natural habitat.

Also really liked Falsebound Kingdom game for the Nintendo Gamecube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

i remember watching season 0 as a kid cuz i heard it was darker and cooler! or whatever and i wish it was that instead because they were right

just some kinda hosed up child anime version of saw where the main character is jigsaw with really stupid looking hair instead of really stupid everything else

iirc he straight up murders a dude via massive deathtrap axe for stealing a toy watch or something really stupid

but not before embedding a ton of watches into that guy's skin with evil egyptian curse powers because he's just a real shithead

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I remember some of the minor character of the week guys in the Pegasus arc, like Mako Tsunami and the labrynth twins, and they were cool

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!
I like the Goemon cards from the game. Goemon is cool and should be in more things. I also like Necrovalley because it used to be really good and helped me win. Good game imo. But now its not as good.

Also the dice game from the TV show was hella sick and I'm sad it got discontinued bc I had more fun with it than regular YGO.

Uznare fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jan 13, 2015

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

There you absolute fucks I made all the abridged series jokes so you don't have to;.

Lol you're behind the times. Also reminder that yugioh: tas is still a thing (and actually still pretty funny)

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I remember playing the Japanese version of the GHA game. The AI outright cheated with their best combo in their starting hand. Kaiba have cyber Stein, megamorph, raigeki, and HFD to one turn kill me. It's very satisfiying to beat that hand though.

Thankfully, the English version got rid of the cheating.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

mabels big day posted:

I remember some of the minor character of the week guys in the Pegasus arc, like Mako Tsunami and the labrynth twins, and they were cool

They brought back the labyrinth dudes on GX iirc.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I found it hilarious that the filler in the original series was ridiculously more mature than everything else, and all of it revolved around Kaiba. (His adoptive father's dead son, a feud with a rival corporation, and an ancient wingnut who conducts a hostile takeover of Kaiba Corp. just to gently caress Kaiba over and further his own plans).

The Orichalcos Arc was always one of my guilty pleasures. There was actually a sense of danger with each of the duels, and the Pharaoh actually showed weakness and character development after getting his rear end stomped by Raphael. (Sure, it may have been a bit contrived, but it was great after seeing him basically steamroll everyone up until that point, including Dark Marik.) The Legendary Dragons were kind of lame, but it gave them a reason to bring back Pegasus for a cameo. :v: Insector Haga and Dino Ryuzaki's duels were loving throwdowns, and Haga's taunting of Yugi spawned one of the greatest YGO memes of all time.

And the Armor deck was the sweetest loving thing the writers for that show ever designed.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 13, 2015

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Even as a kid I thought the show was pretty contrived.

I got into the card game though, even though it, like a lot of card games, had pretty inconsistent "card power" between sets after a while.

Dungeon Dice Monsters was hella rad though I'll get on board with that.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

I liked the Dungeon Dice Monsters GBA game even though I probably shouldn't have.

Fuckin' loved Eternal Duelist Soul

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

mabels big day posted:

I remember those twins, I had a Burger King toy of their cool looking combiner monster

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I really like this/the first show, and I'll even admit to thinking fondly of the Abridged series. (Though I doubt the latter holds up).

I also played the gently caress of of the games and WorldWide Edition was my favorite. I actually recently found it while sorting through stuff to sell/give away and played a few rounds for nostalgia's sake.
I also adore how stupid the full name of that game was. Yu-Gi-Oh! Worldwide Edition: Stairway to the Destined Duel.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Great OP, Beef. :)

If you watched 5Ds you probably remember the CG, and Stardust Dragon in particular, being kind of garish. Well, in Arc-V it's way better!

http://imgur.com/FuLTwpd

Sorry for the bad image quality, I've never made a gif before and I have no idea what I'm doing. It's also a lot faster than it is in the show, but whatever, it shows off the cg well enough.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

e:^^ Odd-Eyes looks great, but that CG Yuya is just hilariously bad.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

For Zexal i'd say give with the subs since apparently the dub ended abruptly and there is no dub of Arc V yet, so it's subs or bust.

Are you sure you're not mixing it up with 5Ds? Because when I talked to one of the voice actors about Arc-V they said that they had already finished recording all of Zexal.

It wasn't that big a loss for 5Ds or GX anyway since their final arcs are both god-awful.

Kay Kessler fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 13, 2015

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
English Dub Bakura is the greatest villain in anime history.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
I have a fondness for the "DnD" session Yugi and co. had with Bakura in the pre-Duel Monsters storylines, mostly for the ridiculous dice cheating that was going on (rolling dice in such a specific way that Bakura kept getting double 0/critical rolls.)

Who is that purple-haired girl in the OP though, I don't recognize her at all.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

she's only in season 0

i guess serenity technically took over her role

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Can Of Worms posted:

I have a fondness for the "DnD" session Yugi and co. had with Bakura in the pre-Duel Monsters storylines, mostly for the ridiculous dice cheating that was going on (rolling dice in such a specific way that Bakura kept getting double 0/critical rolls.)

Who is that purple-haired girl in the OP though, I don't recognize her at all.

Miho Nosaka, a minor character in the manga who Tristan had a crush on. For some reason, the first anime decided to raise her to main character despite being rather unimportant even there.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Arc-V owns bones and if you haven't already watched all of it you should chain yourself to a computer and marathon it.

On an unrelated note, I thought I had watched most of DM, but judging from the OP I must have watched something like 30% of it. This is an interesting development.

e: can we talk about the card game here?

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 14, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

paradoxGentleman posted:

Arc-V owns bones and if you haven't already watched all of it you should chain yourself to a computer and marathon it.

Agree wholeheartedly. I feel like I'm a kid and watching the old series again. Some advice for new watchers: Skip the cooking and quiz duels. Nothing of note happens in them, they are mindless filler.
The latter two qualifying duels are incredible and amazing and encapsulate almost everything that's good with Arc-V

And Gongenzaka owns :colbert:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

paradoxGentleman posted:

On an unrelated note, I thought I had watched most of DM, but judging from the OP I must have watched something like 30% of it. This is an interesting development.

e: can we talk about the card game here?

Yeah sure.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Agree wholeheartedly. I feel like I'm a kid and watching the old series again. Some advice for new watchers: Skip the cooking and quiz duels. Nothing of note happens in them, they are mindless filler.
The latter two qualifying duels are incredible and amazing and encapsulate almost everything that's good with Arc-V

And Gongenzaka owns :colbert:

But the cooking duel has scenes with Yuya and his mum and I enjoyed that because I like it when anime protagonist actually have parents, let alone a good relationship with one.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

SyntheticPolygon posted:

But the cooking duel has scenes with Yuya and his mum and I enjoyed that because I like it when anime protagonist actually have parents, let alone a good relationship with one.

Well yeah those parts are good.
The rest is a steaming plate of lukewarm filler.

Gongenzaka Owns hard

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
What I wanted the most out of Arc-V when it started was stupid gimmick wrestling-like duelists and for action duels to straight up be brawls, this last episode delivered on both ends with the stupid ninja duelist (complete with overly long scarf) and a guy just punching that LDS dude in the face until (somehow) winning. :allears: The dimension stuff is fun, but the Standard Dimension is ridiculous enough that it can deliver amazing things. Hope it maintains this quality.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Dan Green's Atem is amazing, and his version of the Weevil - Yugi duel I think is way better in establishing Yugi's season 0 cred.

Similarly the season 0 atem is Komaeda Nagito/Makoto Naegi from Danganronpa, that's actually kinda fitting.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

What I wanted the most out of Arc-V when it started was stupid gimmick wrestling-like duelists and for action duels to straight up be brawls, this last episode delivered on both ends with the stupid ninja duelist (complete with overly long scarf) and a guy just punching that LDS dude in the face until (somehow) winning. :allears: The dimension stuff is fun, but the Standard Dimension is ridiculous enough that it can deliver amazing things. Hope it maintains this quality.

Well, we saw Sora going around doing a bunch of silly duels. There was an enka duel and some others I've forgotten. Good stuff though, would have loved to see it focused on.

Unrelated, but I think I'm gonna post some of the season 3 of 5Ds slice of life episodes I liked. I remember there being one where Jack goes to confront a gang to save a member of security, and of course ends up dueling their leader. But after their leader loses, he doesn't immediately give up and instead tries to kill Jack anyway. Then Jack beats the poo poo out of them with his bare hands. :allears: The only 5Ds character better than Jack was the announcer, and that's high praise for the announcer.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Does season zero follow the manga exactly, I wanna see yami burn a motherfucker alive.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

^Nope. It's been a while since I read the very first volume, started reading from the second or third since about a week ago (just finished Pandora's duel) but IIRC Atem hasn't actually murdered anyone, there's been a few implied but then it's more implied they just get brain problems for a while.
Jou's murder tally is of two, tho. Kaiba is I think one but not from lack of trying.

e: actually yes, upon rechecking he totally did burn that guy alive with vodka. Some other dude got burned alive as well. So that's two murders for Atem, two for Jou and I guess one from Kaiba and 80 million dollars spent trying to increase those numbers.

Silento posted:

Well, we saw Sora going around doing a bunch of silly duels. There was an enka duel and some others I've forgotten. Good stuff though, would have loved to see it focused on.

Unrelated, but I think I'm gonna post some of the season 3 of 5Ds slice of life episodes I liked. I remember there being one where Jack goes to confront a gang to save a member of security, and of course ends up dueling their leader. But after their leader loses, he doesn't immediately give up and instead tries to kill Jack anyway. Then Jack beats the poo poo out of them with his bare hands. :allears: The only 5Ds character better than Jack was the announcer, and that's high praise for the announcer.

Yeah, totally, there's been a lot of good gimmicks, hell, we opened with a Fist of the Northstar cosplayer, but the Ninja is the one that really clicked for me

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 14, 2015

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Jack Atlas is the loving bomb

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

alcharagia posted:

Jack Atlas is the loving bomb

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Just as an FYI, when I update the OP for GX, I'm not going to be using dub names as the primary ones anymore because the GX dub names loving suck. Joey Wheeler is my poo poo, but Nightshroud and Chazz Princeton? Hop off the edge of my dick, 4kids.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

^Nope. It's been a while since I read the very first volume, started reading from the second or third since about a week ago (just finished Pandora's duel) but IIRC Atem hasn't actually murdered anyone, there's been a few implied but then it's more implied they just get brain problems for a while.
Jou's murder tally is of two, tho. Kaiba is I think one but not from lack of trying.

e: actually yes, upon rechecking he totally did burn that guy alive with vodka. Some other dude got burned alive as well. So that's two murders for Atem, two for Jou and I guess one from Kaiba and 80 million dollars spent trying to increase those numbers.

No offense but I find it hard to follow your comment, it seems like you're saying he kills people in the manga, which I already know. I'm asking if he does in the tv show season that was never translated.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Chazz Princeton is cool, actually. And so is Tyranno "Dino DNA" Hassleberry.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

Just as an FYI, when I update the OP for GX, I'm not going to be using dub names as the primary ones anymore because the GX dub names loving suck. Joey Wheeler is my poo poo, but Nightshroud and Chazz Princeton? Hop off the edge of my dick, 4kids.

I tried watching yugioh gx and couldn't watch it past the second episode, how are you doing this

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Chazz Princeton is like one of the shittiest loving names especially because it removes his Thunder chant. Tyranno Hassleberry is one of the only good ones, though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

forbidden lesbian posted:

I tried watching yugioh gx and couldn't watch it past the second episode, how are you doing this

It's very easy to watch GX because it's either or laughably terrible... it especially gets really laughably terrible from Season 2 on.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
sounds like someone never learned to

CHAZZ

IT

UP

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

forbidden lesbian posted:

No offense but I find it hard to follow your comment, it seems like you're saying he kills people in the manga, which I already know. I'm asking if he does in the tv show season that was never translated.

You're right in what I was saying and I read your post wrong.
I have no idea what season 0 did.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

alcharagia posted:

sounds like someone never learned to

CHAZZ

IT

UP

Gross

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Chazz is the best character in GX and his being sidelined is the primary reason the second half of Season 3 of GX was poo poo