Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I forgot about Kaiba's sparkly rear end blue coat that was also in Forbidden Memiries, that thing owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Nyaa posted:

I got that wrong, yea.

I meant in the French dub :v:

French Tristan and French James(Pokemon) are voiced by the same dude.

Here's the French dub by the way (from the same clip as the Latin American video earlier) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5wORPsyGx4#t=7m03s with Kaiba and Yami.

I like the opening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErhzuwW9uGs

C'est l'heure...du du du du duel!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Momomo posted:

So something has been bugging me for a while, what exactly is the concept behind Synchro and XYZ? Like, with Fusion, the monsters are literally supposed to be fusing together to make one monster, but Synchro and XYZ both seem to be the exact same thing? Is it just two different names for what already existed in the game?
Fusion is two *specific* monsters fusing together using specific fusion cards to make the fusion happen. For instance, Red-Eyes and Summoned Skull
Synchro requires a tuner to combine two monsters, but the requirements are much less specific. They only need to combine to be a specific level, not be two specific monsters.
XYZ doesn't require specific monsters, but it does require two monsters of a specific level, and usually a specific type. However, the advantage it has is that you don't need a tuner or a fusion spell to make it happen. If you have two level 4 monsters on the field, you can make a level 4 XYZ.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Well yeah, but that's the game mechanics, I meant more the concept in the context of the show. Is there any real logic as to what the two monsters are supposed to be doing, or is it just fusion without them admitting it?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
They are more tribute/sacrifice special summon than fusion.

Edit: now that I think about it, fusion is the nicest summon method for the monster involved. Unless it turn them into something terrible.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 16, 2015

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Momomo posted:

Well yeah, but that's the game mechanics, I meant more the concept in the context of the show. Is there any real logic as to what the two monsters are supposed to be doing, or is it just fusion without them admitting it?

Synchro was handled as the two monsters opening sort of a portal for the Synchro monster to materialize on the "real world". The tuner is the door, while the synchro material is the key.

XYZ are supposed to be antimaterial creatures using the XYZ units as means to stabilize their presence on the material world.

Or something like that :v:

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Synchro was handled as the two monsters opening sort of a portal for the Synchro monster to materialize on the "real world". The tuner is the door, while the synchro material is the key.

XYZ are supposed to be antimaterial creatures using the XYZ units as means to stabilize their presence on the material world.

Or something like that :v:

Are we trying to make sense of the summoning mechanics of Yugioh?

It's simple really: two monsters go bye bye, one new monster comes out and goes "'sup yo?"

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Its not like we haven't seen kids get killed for realsies. (I can't find the clip on youtube, but Amelda's little brother getting shelled while trying to climb into a tank was pretty hardcore.)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'm still reading through the manga and say what you will about Pegasus but Marik's the one with the real issues

Pegasus allowed his minions to carry guns and stuff to hang people, Marik decides that's something that needs to be made for the tournament. The process to simply make that required some high-stakes corporate espionage as well since the disk was revealed days before the tournament even. What the gently caress.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Alright sex fergie I like the Kaibaman episode

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
This thread has not only pushed me start (re-)watching all of the anime but also has made me want to pick up the manga for the first time too.

Viz is releasing the first Yu-Gi-Oh 1+2+3 volume sometime next month.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcL3kAtbcYE

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

It was so strange finding out that duel didn't even happen in the manga. I had the song open in another tab ready to read the duel and everything. :ohdear:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Oooookay so I'm almost caught up on Arc-V. So am I to assume that Each of the dimensions is supposed to be one of the other shows? I never watched Zexal so I dunno how prevalent Xyz summoning was in there, but if this is some kinda grand scheme to bring back all the protagonists for one grand finale this will be the most amazing children's card game show ever.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

SpazmasterX posted:

Oooookay so I'm almost caught up on Arc-V. So am I to assume that Each of the dimensions is supposed to be one of the other shows? I never watched Zexal so I dunno how prevalent Xyz summoning was in there, but if this is some kinda grand scheme to bring back all the protagonists for one grand finale this will be the most amazing children's card game show ever.

Not really. Each of the dimensions just represent a summoning method and contain a lot of references to the show where that summoning method was the main focus. Since the city in 5D's is mentioned to be the same Domino City from the original and GX, and that in a canon movie Yusei travels into the past and meets Yugi, it is impossible for them to have been separate dimensions.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

But also Heartland, the field in Shun's duel and the place he lived in, is where ZeXal happens and is identical to that field.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

But also Heartland, the field in Shun's duel and the place he lived in, is where ZeXal happens and is identical to that field.

I'm totally ok with Zexal being written out of canon by literally taking place in another dimension.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SpazmasterX posted:

someone posted the timeline a few pages ago

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
This rewatch has been perfect to have on in the background while packing for a move.

I need to move more often.

I love how variable the atk/def values seem to be in the anime. Like people being surprised at the attack of the opponent's monster or it just suddenly shooting up. Often due to "field effects".

There's no way GX or later can compare to the dub of the original series. It's perfect.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Oh man, that one time Mirror Force did damage and the amount it did was just blatantly plucked out of thin air to put the opponent's life points on something dramatic.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

PoshAlligator posted:

There's no way GX or later can compare to the dub of the original series. It's perfect.

Sounds like you need to GET YOUR GAME ON.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Endorph posted:

someone posted the timeline a few pages ago

I got caught up through a friend. Apparently they wasted a perfectly good opportunity by the writing staff saying in an interview "lol Heartland ain't that Heartland".

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Well, the raws for the next Arc V are out and so much for bringing smiles to everyone :ohdear:. Seems like Yuto got Yuya possessed by Dragons or something since it's still Yuya's voice.

Also, i'm upset they didn't fully show Gongenzaka's duel. :(

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Witch of the Black Forest + Lady of Faith = ...some rock and roll guy???

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I just got to the episode of Arc-V where Neo Sawatari appears and couldn't be happier. Somehow he became even more hilariously full of himself. It's just a shame he's ditching the darts theme.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

dogsicle posted:

I just got to the episode of Arc-V where Neo Sawatari appears and couldn't be happier. Somehow he became even more hilariously full of himself. It's just a shame he's ditching the darts theme.

I'd switch too in favor of a "basically cheating" theme.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

SpazmasterX posted:

Isn't that the entire point of Yugioh

Like, Series 1 was Pharoah found out he's been cheating since day 1 using his bullshit Egyptian powers to top-deck into anything

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

SpazmasterX posted:

Parlor games are just more interesting than ice dudes. But I don't really know the game to see how his new deck was any more broken than Not Yuuya or the Constellation guy. :shrug:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

PoshAlligator posted:

This rewatch has been perfect to have on in the background while packing for a move.

I need to move more often.

I love how variable the atk/def values seem to be in the anime. Like people being surprised at the attack of the opponent's monster or it just suddenly shooting up. Often due to "field effects".

GX's dub is goddamn amazing. It's somewhere between the original series dub, and the Duel Masters Dub in terms of taking the source material seriously. It doesn't go full self referential, but it's very clear the writers were having some fun.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There is an entire episode in the dub dedicated to fellating Dan Green's Dark Yugi voice and it is loving magical, that Japanese version's equivalent of that episode is nowhere near as good.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

There is an entire episode in the dub dedicated to fellating Dan Green's Dark Yugi voice and it is loving magical, that Japanese version's equivalent of that episode is nowhere near as good.

Would that be the episode where the guy steaks Yugi's deck?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

dogsicle posted:

Parlor games are just more interesting than ice dudes. But I don't really know the game to see how his new deck was any more broken than Not Yuuya or the Constellation guy. :shrug:

Small hint: he made that deck specifically to gently caress with Yuya's.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Small hint: he made that deck specifically to gently caress with Yuya's.

From what little was shown, he basically had the frost monarchs to kill the pendulum scale cards? It doesn't seem like a particularly useful strategy when Yuuya would've already summoned 2+ monsters the turn prior. After seeing that X Saber deck nothing else seems particularly broken though.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

dogsicle posted:

From what little was shown, he basically had the frost monarchs to kill the pendulum scale cards? It doesn't seem like a particularly useful strategy when Yuuya would've already summoned 2+ monsters the turn prior. After seeing that X Saber deck nothing else seems particularly broken though.

My favourite thing about that episode was that there was nothing gimmicky about the x-saber duel. That's how the deck plays if it gets its setup. :allears:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

dogsicle posted:

Eh, it's what he said he made his deck for.
Doesn't mean it would've worked.

My advice? Keep Watching.

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

Dexo posted:

GX's dub is goddamn amazing. It's somewhere between the original series dub, and the Duel Masters Dub in terms of taking the source material seriously. It doesn't go full self referential, but it's very clear the writers were having some fun.

There was a wonderful bit about a third of the way through season 3 where it almost did go full parody: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpYZ4fR2m-s

Not included in the video:

"I activate my trap card!"
"But how!?!"
"By saying its name dramatically and having it pop up. Haven't you played this game before? It's kind of a common occurance."

or

"Hey, remember the time you dueled that talking monkey?"
"Yeah, that what a really weird episode."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Neo New Sawatari's archetype is respectably powerful, although not all the cards that appeared in that episode are available as of right now, and maybe never will. It's not going to make Qliporths or Nekroz shake in their boots, but against a non-completely broken archetype it can fair pretty well.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ThermoPhysical posted:

Would that be the episode where the guy steaks Yugi's deck?

Yes.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Which episode is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Episode 18