Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Jack Atlas is the loving bomb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Chazz Princeton is cool, actually. And so is Tyranno "Dino DNA" Hassleberry.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
sounds like someone never learned to

CHAZZ

IT

UP

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Chazz is the best character in GX and his being sidelined is the primary reason the second half of Season 3 of GX was poo poo

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Beef Waifu posted:

Nah he got sidelined as a schmuck in Season 2 and only won because he was mind-controlled by Dio. He got treated like poo poo far before the whole pro duelist and zombie students bullshit happened and it's one of the worst things about GX.

The episode where he duels Aster is my favorite episode in all of GX, and I'm not even sorry. And at least he was still there in Season 2 and 4, he "bites the dust" halfway into Season 3 and then it's the Adrian and Zane Grimdark Party

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
The Ojamas are cool, actually. I play an Ojama deck because of Chazz and I'm not even sorry.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Beef Waifu posted:

You are literal garbage

Heh, not my fault you can't get your game on. I'll have you know I'm garbage with an Ojamagical scent. :smug:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Another unpopular opinion I have: I don't mind, hell, I like Crow Hogan, I think he is a down dude

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Leo was garbage anyway to be perfectly honest

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Beef Waifu posted:

Carly had an entire character arc about dying and not being able to be with Jack because of it and then they reconciled and Jack actually showed he cared about someone who wasn't himself and it was awesome and then she disappeared forever in Season 3.

totally agree with this though, that was pretty bullshit

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Like she showed up a few times in the Jack-centric episodes in Season 3 and I thought it was cute because I thought "aww, they stayed together, that's cute" and then she disappeared from Season 4 and 5 basically entirely until Jack drove off in the ending literally saying "WOMEN WILL ONLY GET IN THE WAY" and I was like :geno:

Endorph posted:

yeah but Luca/Luna was cool. I liked that miniarc where she went on a fantasy adventure with a lion and the Dark Magician.

i was confused by the ape king's minus curse

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I liked it when Yusei and Bruno stayed up for three days straight "talking about motorcycles"

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Look really I'm probably just glorifying the memory of the parts of Yugioh 5D's I found funny because oh my loving GOD Zexal is bad and I hate it

what the gently caress does kattobingu even mean

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
My favorite part of Zexal so far was the bit where III blasted Yuma's lovely catchphrase out of his brain, and Yuma turned into a nervous gibbering wreck, because I am a horrible monster who wishes for the suffering of an 11-year-old. I hate Yuma Tsukumo.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Beef Waifu posted:

Man, I can't even watch 5Ds dubbed. Jack's voice and the original music is just too good, which I hate to say because 4kids somehow finds a way to make Yugioh better usually.

the master of faster

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

mabels big day posted:

I'm getting to the battle city finals, and I don't remember a thing after this point. I'm actually enjoying this show at this point, it's good.

But does the original series have FLAME WINGMAN'S SUPER POWER?!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
man reading that made me remember that even in the bad times 5D's was still entertaining for a number of reasons unlike some other series i could mention

i'm talking about season 3 of gx

man gently caress season 3 of gx

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Season 4 of GX wasn't really that dark, I mean yeah THE FATE OF HUMANITY WAS AT STAKE because of DARKUNESS... but it also had incredible, hilarious moments like Chazz and Aster's duel, that time Jaden got stoned, the fact that the villain calls himself Mr. T, and Atticus v. Fujiwara, the most homoerotic duel in the entire franchise, including every episode of 5D's. Oh and it turned Yubel from Jaden's weird creepy stalker Elder God ex-girlfriend into Jaden's douchey wisecracking Elder God buddy cop, which was a change entirely for the better (gently caress Yubel in Season 3 (gently caress Season 3 of GX))

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Oh wait I guess there was that episode with Axel? Man that poo poo was fuckin' dumb

"Axel do you remember the time you LET YOUR MOTHER DIE?" "yeah and I FUCKIN HATE IT" "that's right let the hate flow through you let me make this entire duel a metaphor for your dead mom is it working" "NO" "is it working Axel" "yes" "good now let me win and you can fall into the DARKUNESS... (because of your dead mom)"

[cut to Axel's not-dead mom]

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Ever since Jaden tossed a perfectly good Transcendent Wings game-winning play so that GX could advertise Sabbatiel, a card that did absolutely nothing even close to its actual card counterpart, which is garbage, I sort of learned to just kinda accept that Jaden was gonna do dumb bullshit to win season-ending duels.

Edit: I use Super Polymerization to fuse myself and Yubel

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

AnacondaHL posted:

real question: As someone who only watched YGO and YGODM, is there any reason at all to watch GX and 5DS?

Yes.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Basically the Series Checklist goes thus:

GX:

Seasons 1 and 2: Own because they're stupid and hilarious, the last episode of 104 contains the best moment in the entire series.

Season 3: Skip basically everything after they get back from the alternate dimension because that is the worst

Season 4: If you're into GX watch it, if you're not, just watch the episodes about Chazz and the episode where Jaden gets stoned and you should be good.

5D's:

Seasons 1 and 2: Actually legit good. Watch these.

Season 3: You know Dexter's Laboratory? If your favorite part of Dexter's Laboratory was the Justice Friends, then watch Season 3. If not, watch the episodes about Jack anyway, because he's The Master of Faster.

Season 4: Skip the episodes that didn't get dubbed, because doing so vastly improves Jack's ultimate monster.

Season 5: You can skip the final duel against Z-ONE, otherwise it's actually pretty good.

Kinu Nishimura fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 22, 2015

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Addendum:

Do Not Watch Yugioh Zexal

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Kay Kessler posted:

It's also worse than Pyramid of Light.

Synchro what?!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

AlternateNu posted:

I just started watching Arc-V because, why not? And would someone mind explaining pendulum summons in the actual game? I'm guessing it is throwing out two pendulum monsters, then you can summon anything from your hand with a level between the two pendulum monsters for free? Do the pendulums stay out, or is the effect only good for the turn? Are they really treated as spell cards? Can I dust tornado your poo poo before you get a chance to summon? (I'm also guessing action cards aren't actually a thing, right?)

Once a turn but otherwise yes, they stay out, yes they are treated as spell cards, yes you can, no they aren't.

AlternateNu posted:

I will say that I prefer the show without all these ridiculous new mechanics, but then, I stopped playing the game a decade ago.

Edit: Wow. Did they remove the old guy in a wheelchair emote?

:corsair:

also Yugioh is rad and new mechanics are rad. Pendulums rule, my favorite Pendulums are DDDs because they have cards named Hell Armageddon the Cruel End Overlord and Abyss Ragnarok the Complete Oblivion Overlord.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Proof of this

Sophia no Necloth / Nekroz of Sophia
Light Spellcaster / Ritual / Effect
LV11 3600/3400
You can Ritual Summon this card with any “Nekroz” Ritual Spell Card. Must be Ritual Summoned from your hand by using 3 monsters with different Types you control, and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. (1) During either player’s Main Phase 1: You can discard both this card and 1 “Nekroz” Spell Card; during this Phase, your opponent cannot Special Summon from the Extra Deck. (2) When this card is Ritual Summoned: You can banish all other cards on the field and in both Graveyards. During the turn you activate this effect, you cannot Normal or Special Summon other monsters.

What the gently caress Konami? :suicide:

Just two days ago I made a friend of mine ragequit and directly say "I never want to duel the Nekroz again." I can't wait to tell him about this.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
the Special Summon effect's pretty good though

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Dexie posted:

She's still poo poo. She's going to be just like Apoqliphort Towers and Apoqliphort Skybase: a powerful monster that requires too much set up and investment, so she won't see any real play.

i have died too much to apoqliphort towers and skybase to agree with you

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
original yugioh kinda sucked tbh

edit: the card game, not the show, can't judge there

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Belowski is the loving bomb

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Pyrotoad posted:

Should I go dub or sub with GX? According to wikipedia they didn't dub season 4, but does that mean I miss out on a wonderful translation if I stick with the sub all the way?

Dub. Dub. Dub. Dub. Dub.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Onmi posted:

But I will say the GX dub is pretty loving funny.

IT LOOKS LIKE THE FANS WANT THE D

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Season 3 sucked because Chazz dies halfway through and Chazz Princeton is a beautiful shining star. Chazz it up.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Strange Quark posted:

So... Worth watching Zexal for?

Please, do not ever watch Yugioh Zexal, because it is poo poo, and bad.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

alcharagia posted:

Season 3 sucked because Chazz dies halfway through and Chazz Princeton is a beautiful shining star. Chazz it up.

I actually own a commissioned Chazz Princeton plushie complete with frayed ends of his blazer, courtesy of some friends in North Carolina as a birthday present one time. It has a voice box that when pressed says "If it can't hide the dirt, I don't want it over my shirt!"

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

paradoxGentleman posted:

If one was to judge basely solely on this guide, it would seem that Zexal isn't nearly as bad as everyone seems to describe it. There are far too many episodes that are simply "okay" for it to be great, but still not the eye-searing abomination described ITT.

That guide seriously undervalues the degree to which Yuma Tsukumo is awful.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

You could watch all the bad stuff in ZeXal and you're still having a better time than season 3+ of 5D's

Actually, no, this is not true, please do not troll. Also, never watch Yugioh Zexal, because it is poo poo, and bad.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Slur posted:

Jean's final turn.

Any bit where the good guy gets out-played by the bad guy but the bad guy loses it all in the name of PLAYING THE GAME makes me laugh

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Blaze Dragon posted:

The best thing is that it was totally pointless. You can lose twice in the WRGX (...it was that, right?) before getting kicked out, Team 5D's never loses. They could've lost this, to a team that actually showed more skill, and instead they win in an incredibly stupid way because the opponent suddenly becomes mentally retarded and decides that winning is less important than...some weird, out of place, nonsensical pride.

We could have avoided all this poo poo and still reached the same conclusion, but apparently our heroes must be absolutely invincible even if we have to gently caress everything up for it.

God, I love 5D's and yet that must be the most infuriating moment in the entire history of YGO for me. Even Zexal at its worst does not compare.

i completely forgot until I just looked it up that Yusei literally loses two duels over the course of the entire series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

To be fair though, doesn't Yugi only lose once not including Filler? And that's when Kaiba threatens to commit suicide if Yugi beats him. I don't think main protagonists lose in Yugioh, like ever.

i still haven't gone through the original yugioh, i'll let you know when i do. that said, jaden did lose a few times. he lost to zane, kaibaman, and aster.