Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

du du, du, du, d-d-d-d-d-d-d-DUEL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I've had the Season 0 theme stuck in my head ever since this thread. Thanks thread! :arghfist:

FLY AT HIGHER GAAEEEEEEEEEEME
http://youtu.be/sSRqAnzQdAY

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I just re-watched season 1's Yugi vs Pegasus and loving lol I forgot a key part of winning was the goddamn friends somehow blocking the mind reading

this is the greatest show

edit: holy poo poo that yugi-darkyugi air high five miss :lol:

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 16, 2015

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

real question: As someone who only watched YGO and YGODM, is there any reason at all to watch GX and 5DS?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Status report: Currently up to episode 13 of GX where Jaden duels a monkey named Wheeler. Still can't decide if I'm in the

alcharagia posted:

GX:

Seasons 1 and 2: Own because they're stupid and hilarious, the last episode of 104 contains the best moment in the entire series.

stupid fun camp or the

forbidden lesbian posted:

everyone says that GX is stupid funny I mostly think it's just stupid stupid, tho the ones that are love letters to the original series were good to me.

stupid stupid camp

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Rangpur posted:

Ocassionally I get the urge to relive my youth where everything I watched on TV existed to sell me cards and toys. So where the hell are you all even following this, anyway? Does Netflix/Hulu/Crunchyroll carry the subtitled version or something?

Hulu via http://www.yugioh.com has subbed versions of 5DS and Zexal, but otherwise watching the dubs.

I just finished the GX episode where Jaden battles the stoned hippie and everyone but him gets stoned. This is just so stupid and I love it.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Request to update Chumley Huffington's bio to mention eating, specifically grilled cheese sandwiches, loving said grilled cheese sandwiches, and whining about running.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

history lesson :allears:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

this loving episode of GX with the ~*90s rapper gangsta*~ dub voice is painful to finish

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Season 2 of GX down, main thought: as a card game player who has little idea how Yu-Gi-Oh actually works, I got sick of watching nearly every episode get decided by "Did I draw Pot of Greed/Graceful Charity and you didn't? Guess I win!" that I had to look up the rules to see if the cards were banned from the tournament play and it looks like they are.

Anyways, the wikia also spoiled that the cards are rarely featured in the remaining seasons and series of the anime and I'm not really sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

What, you weren't bugged by how Jaden always wins A Hero Emerges?

Busted cards and combos are whatever, but you can win with anything if you have completely busted card advantage/card draw.

edit: Oh, that card. That's not even that busted, it's just the "random" that always works out in Jaden's favor even though I'm sure it's easy to play the card in a way to make the percentages really favorable. Also that card only showed up 10 times in seasons 1 and 2. Pot of Greed is in 59 episodes.

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 28, 2015

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

Judai is an odd case in that he isn't directly cheating, the manga describes him as having extremely high draw luck, which is a bullshit talent but not technically unfair.

Jaden uses alien cards found in a vision quest/literal trip to outer space.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Dabir posted:

My favourite bit about ZEXAL is how in Japanese it's pronounced ZEARU. The X is silent.

Pour one out for phonetics.

probably because otherwise it'd sound too similar to "sexual harassment"

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

11 episodes into GX season 3; the dubbers must have had way too much fun with this. And by fun I mean began to show signs that they were all losing their minds by this point and started doing weird random stuff in vain attempt to stay sane, such as 4th wall breaking, self references, famous pop culture quotes, even doing an Arnold Schwarzenegger YEARRGH when the crystal elephant attacked.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

It happened while Yu-Gi-Oh! Abridged was becoming extremely popular.

I mean yes I realize I'm watching a show where the main antagonist is making HGH from the sapped life-force of school students and something something magic eyeball monster, but I'd need to see proof of causation over just correlation here.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

also you know that whole ancient egyptian stone tablet thing

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Well I made it to Season 3 episode 28 (132) before I had to stop watching GX. I decided to skip to the last 3 episodes of Season 3 just to see what a trainwreck it is and loooooool

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

I bought a deck today, help

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Kay Kessler posted:

Personally, I'd have to say this one is my favorite of the bunch.

I have to wonder who thought the lyrics "I can hear you breathing" had anything to do with Yugioh.

As someone trying to grind through the 5Ds backlog, I have to say how the hell did this not win the contest instead of whatever the hell disjointed crap was actually chosen as the song.

Dabir posted:

You may have no soul. The 5Ds one is the most inexplicably awesome thing to come out of 4kids.

:troll:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Up to Five Deez ep 24: I mentally insert Evanescence and Linkin Park songs as Akiza's theme music.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

This is one of the reasons you don't watch the 4Kids dub of 5Ds, the music is great.

oh damnit, so I actually have to pay attention

fake edit: the main theme is marginally better so okay

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Not that I'm close to starting Zexel yet, but are the dubs passable? I really don't want to look directly into the yugioh

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Will the page 1 post on ZEXAL be some hyperbole one-liner THIS SUCKS DON'T WATCH THIS NO REALLY 4 REAL, or will there be an effort post detailing just how lovely the series is?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

Give me more Hyper Drive, going fast makes me feel alive.

my heart beats in 7/4 time
do you think this is jazz where it can sound cool
but in rock it's not very good

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Red Suit posted:

They should increase the main deck min to 45 or 50

but then it'd be a respectable card game that's not completely broken

:boom:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Onmi posted:

Not really. The reason games like Magic and Pokemon have a 60 card deck is because it's expected that a third will be dedicated resource cards, Lands in Magic and Energy in Pokemon (I think, I haven't played since the GB game) Otherwise they would also have 40 card decks. 45 card decks don't mean anything, there's no point.

Well except being the absolute maximum amount of card you'll have when drafting, which of course means that you have no side-board at all.

It was just a basic card ratio joke. 4 copies per 60, versus 3 copies per 40.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Silento posted:

What is that dancing emote from, anyway? It's real ugly. :stare:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3697271
or
http://www.somethingawful.com/photoshop-phriday/taylor-swift-chop/1/

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

dogsicle posted:

God the GX dub is a masterpiece. It turned a nondescript villain into a lawyer/wannabe pastry chef voiced by a Paul Lynde-alike. Plus he's got an interesting deck style and his evil is established by showing him crush a flower. :allears:

It also inspired the creation of this:
(YGO Bonds Beyond Time spoilers?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icrg8rlQmwM

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

*initial reaction to trying to finish Season 4 of GX*
why the gently caress isn't Chazz's voice surly and awesome anymore

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I love the implication that Duel Academy is such a sausage fest that they can only make 11 student boy-girl pairs :mmmhmm:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Though 5Deez ep41, lolling the entire time at Akiza's monologues and backstory

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

this juxtaposition between all these orphans and saving the world and Mina getting :boom: re-loving-JECTED by Jack :psyduck:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Best part is that the whole thing with Hassleberry is build up for a thing he does in Season 4 which, in my humble opinion, is the single greatest episode in all of the spinoffs.

what episode number? I kinda skipped most of Season 4 because it was eh.

edit: aside from the Chazz going pro episodes recommendation

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Episode 172, you might want to know what's going on at the start, but trust me, it works even better when you have no idea why stuff is happening.

Trip report: :wtc: Let me just make sure I have this right. Jaden escapes from an exploding Kaiba Corp building using children's card game, then hallucinates a battle against an enemy called Mr. T, while Hassleberry is actually fighting Mr. T who is mind controlling some student friend, and Mr. T is looking for darkness in his victim's hearts, but can't get to Hassleberry because of Dino DNA so they duel, and later figures out a loophole to the darkness by looking at Hassleberry's previous life as a Tyrannosaurus Rex and finding out that the Dino DNA bone in his leg is from a dinosaur that said T-Rex had eaten.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

5D's, ep 61, the dubbing at the end of this Dark Signers arc is like the thing dubbing nightmares are made of.

"Ahh, ahhh ahh! The darkness! *is this seriously my line?* The-Darkness-inside-me-is-too-powerful!"
"You have to fight the *stifling laughter* dark-ness-in-side-of-you!"
"I might be down, but due to-the-ef-fect-of-my-trap-card *planning on which alcohol to drown self in after work* I'm am definitely not out!"

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

This Season 2 (Season 3 japan) of 5D's is starting off amazing. First the introduction of the French girl making Akiza more jelly than a Welch's grape factory, then watching her steady anime inability to handle feelings for main characterdescent into madness via addiction to ~speed~

Dumpy "eww girls!" dudes: Shouldn't you be at home playing with dolls? It takes a real man to handle the turbo runner :smug:
Akiza: So when are these real men supposed to show up?
:boom::iceburn::boom:

fake edit: is Yusei seriously teaching her how to rollerblade now? :roflolmao:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

That's pretty impressive, the literal first word of the karaoke lyrics being misspelled.

edit: what kind of sicko actually makes a song with a mokuba voice clip

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Yu-Gi-Oh 10D's, episode 151, let me get this straight: Yusei generates new rules for the game and generates the game winning Matryoshka dragon out of thin air, then ZONE basically does the same thing, but Yusei's is just big enough to outlast ZONE's because of teamwork or some poo poo, then tries to crash his flying motorcycle into the what the gently caress ever, and you guys were telling me to skip this battle? This was all sorts of loving hilarious and ruled and was the Yu-Gi-Oh-iest thing ever.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

But for real it's nice that characters in 5D's unlike prior YGOs at least occasionally went through strategic thought processes, thought about which cards the opponent could be playing, and/or were thinking about their best lines and playing to their outs.

I can't believe they resolved the Yusei/Akiza relationship in the exact same way they resolved Jaden/Alexis :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Jack Atlas next levels all of them by actually telling his swooning fan club "gently caress bitches, get card games"