Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So is Aster Phoenix always going to be this lame? He's in the opening now, so he's presumably gonna stay important for a while, and that kind of worries me. At least Zane didn't just copy someone else's deck.

Dinosaur guy is awesome though, hope he sticks around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I'm kind of enjoying how the Destiny Heroes come off as really lame knockoffs, like the kind you'd find in some generic comic. Names like Captain Tenacious and Diamond Dude suit Aster perfectly.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Sometimes the altered changes confuse me. Take Beast eyes for instance, why don't you use Polymerization to make it? It's a fusion monster, but for whatever reason you don't have to actually do anything other than have two monsters. For that matter, why doesn't it even need Odd Eyes to make it? It makes Trump Witch's whole thing kind of useless in the context of the show.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I think I misunderstood the card's effect. It says:

quote:

Must be Fusion Summoned, or Special Summoned (from your Extra Deck) by Tributing the above cards you control (you do not use "Polymerization"), and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways.

I thought this was saying "You can't use Polymerization to fuse this, it's always tributed"

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Is there something about Synchro summoning I'm not getting? If I remember right, the total levels don't have to equal the level of the monster you're trying to summon, right? Every time I try summoning something high level though, it doesn't seem to let me. even though Black Rose Dragon doesn't seem to have any special conditions.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Gotta be honest, getting kind of sick of this Society of Light crap. Chazz was actually kind of cool before and now he's just a complete tool. Alexis actually had some sort of agency during the end of the last arc (She got like four duels in five episodes or something) but now she's back to being on the side, and every single episode is "the Slifer dorm has to duel or they lose it". Is this going to go anywhere soon? I'm on ep 74 right now, where Jaden's dueling a princess or something.

edit: Also it doesn't really feel like Syrus deserved to be promoted. He got all of two wins before they put him in Ra. I get that he's the growth character, but eeeeh...

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

So now I'm officially half done with GX. I enjoyed the first season a lot more than this one tbh, it had a lot more charm with the way Jaden interacted with the other characters, but now it's like he doesn't even matter. I really hate it when the rival characters and villains act like the protagonist is worthless, when they haven't actually beaten him a single time, ever. Technically Aster did beat Jaden, but scene after scene of Chazz and Alexis in the background talking about how lame Jaden is gets annoying. Bastian is also a black hole of a character now, suddenly he's supposed to be a mediocre duelist?

I read most of the stuff about this in the op (I've forgotten a chunk of what it said about the plot, but I remember the whole idea of it going downhill) but it's a shame to see it in action.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Yeah, half the fun is the silly things they slip in. I don't want to watch a show where The Chazz doesn't randomly yell out "Beetron 2: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO! Uh, what I meant was "Beetle Turbo."

Switching gears for a bit, how do you counter something like having two of these http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Talaya%2C_Princess_of_Cherry_Blossoms and two of these hhttp://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Chirubim%E9,_Princess_of_Autumn_Leaves on the field? I realize getting them all out at once can be hard, but it looks like you'd be invincible from everything if you did. Is there something you can do to get out of this, though?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

A monster with high enough ATK. I dont see any destruction by battle negation, only effect destroy negation.

Then a breakthrough skill/effect negate on one of the Autumn princess. Those are two things probably in any deck worth its salt.

Wouldn't one of the Autumn Princess protect the other, meaning you can't actually attack either one? Having a card on the field they can't deal with is something I thought of, and I'm not entirely sure what to do about that, but I figure there are other cards than can deal with them. I didn't think of them being targeted by spells and traps though, I'll have to keep that in mind.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

The way they release these cards seems really odd to me. Is it less about pulling people in that remember the show, and more about them just being new cards? Cause I can't imagine kids today would really know what stuff like Hermos and Critias even are. Hell, by the time they showed up, I stopped paying much attention to the show anyway.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Well, finally finished that Society of Light arc. It... wasn't very good, and the villain ended up being even lamer than I thought when they started making him sympathetic. I also can't think of a single duel I found memorable in that entire arc.

Also laughing at how they completely forgot about Bastian. For a guy that cares about his friends, that was kinda lovely, Jaden. There were a few snippets of what could've been good ideas (Bastian feeling left out, Zane getting slapped with the real world after being told he was perfect at school) but they did absolutely nothing with them.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Pretty sure other than getting Joey's Red Eyes back and the two gods, Yugi didn't take anyone else's cards, and Kaiba didn't take anyone's. He probably figured he was way too cool to use a loser's card.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

alcharagia posted:

Make your deck spit out more cards and/or use cards that let you get those cards, laugh at them because the Graveyard is where 80% of all combos work anyway

Yeah, it feels really weird that half the time I think "This card would be way more useful if it wasn't actually in my hand". Feels like being banished is essentially the graveyard, though even then you can move stuff out of it (Which kinda defeats the purpose...). Is there any card that can only be used when its banished?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I'm glad I only use programs for playing the game, cause not getting your first draw is something I'd gently caress up every single time.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

So what is so broken about Noden? Summoning something seems nice and all, but I don't see how it's all that special.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I'll try it out, if there are still spots left.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Shun plays like an rear end in a top hat with turns that never end, and I am glad Sora threw him down the stairs.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

It really looks like the two should be flipped. Rin's got blue hair like Shun and Ruri shares Yugo's blonde hair.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Senerio posted:

Synchros are cool because they require a special monster type, so they're not AS toolbox-y and overused as XYZs (with exceptions like Stardust). That's my opinion.

Yeah, Synchro monsters seem to meld together better thematically too, since they all strike me as sorta mechanical. XYZ seems like it's all over the place. I don't know why Camel + Wolf = Dark Dragon.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

This combination can also make Stardust Dragon, just FYI.

You've at least got a Tuner monster there, so it's like Mechanic + Organic. I know I'm overthinking this, I just find XYZ to be a little too easy to do.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Slur posted:

Yes, he is a major character, but I don't see any point in him existing anymore. Baal posted two very clear points about him: he's there in order to psychologically manipulate the protagonists, and he has a pre-established relation with them. I then have to ask: what would Sora's loss have cost in terms of the show's stakes, and what can Sora do that other characters (Dennis and Yuri come to mind) couldn't?

I feel like Dennis falls under this problem more, since we only just got introduced to him and he's suddenly a weird bad guy. Sora's been present the whole time, and they're clearly going to do something with his character.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I have put too much thought into this silly card game anime.

It really is bizarre that the writers actually tried this time around. Endgame for this arc isn't nearly as obvious as I remember the original series being.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

VJeff posted:

We got a close enough look at Sabre Tiger's card to see its material: A level 6 or higher Frightfur and 1 or more Fluffals or Edge-Imps.

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Frightfur_Sabre_Tiger

Like yeah if he was like "I didn't have this card the last time I was in Standard but I brought it this time JUST FOR YOU KUROSAKI-CHAN :unsmigghh:" that'd be kinda cool but as it is it just makes Sora look like kind of a chump. :v:

The show's weird about ownership of physical cards like that. They're really more extensions of the duelist's will than they are actual pieces of paper, just look at how Yuya somehow got his hands on Odd Eyes Rebellion Dragon.

Last episode went at a mile a minute, but I prefer that over an entire ep of Reira and Blue Haired Kid's duel, one for Sawatari and one for Yuya and Sora.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I should still be alright for it. How long are you expecting this to take? If we have to move so many sets of cards around, it would have to take a while.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

So if this card http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Talaya%2C_Princess_of_Cherry_Blossoms is protecting my other plant monsters, but an opponent's card says something like "Negate its effect and destroy it", targeting a different plant (Not Talaya), what happens? Does the entire thing go through and the plant gets destroyed, or does it just negate the effect?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

...I am still annoyed that Reiji saved himself with a facedown card we never actually saw him place.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Oh, guess I missed that. Still makes no sense for him to make that face though, if he knew he'd be fine. Yuya better win this duel dammit, even if he won't.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Much like the Spiral King, Leo is about the most ineffective person ever at setting things right, if that's truly the case. Does it really matter if fusing the worlds is the right thing to do, if everyone's already dead in them?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Yeah, I've been practicing with a Fluffal deck someone made against an ai, and it's really fun. Tiger and Wolf seem like the only useful fusions, though.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I always seem to be stuck with http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Edge_Imp_Tomahawk in my hand at the worst possible times. Should I add some cars to make it work, or should I just dump it? Its effect is nice, but I typically need fusion cards, not Edge Imps.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I hated fisherman guy and I am glad he is dead.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Seriously that duel was like 7-on-3 with a completely incomprehensible turn order and they still lost two people. They had it coming.

edit: Also I tried out a Plant Noden deck the other day... Yeah I think I see why Noden is such an rear end in a top hat now.

Momomo fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 15, 2015

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dexie posted:

The same place that all monsters that have never been seen come from.

Could have been in his deck, but he just never drew them. Could have been put into his deck off-screen at some point.

Or they just appeared by magic, that works too. :v:

I just assumed Yuya had picked them up. The whole premise of that tournament was picking up Pendulum cards, afterall. Odd Eyes Rebellion on the other hand...

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

It's silly for us, but if you saw someone every day of your life and suddenly they had different hair, I don't think you'd see them as a different person. An eyebrow raiser for sure, but they're supposed to look exactly the same.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Slur posted:

The character designers failed in doing their job, then.

Well I mean, you could say this about drat near any anime, and there are multiple times where they say they have the same face. I think it comes with the territory that you're just supposed to buy that.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Above all, I'm very glad the "Yuzu is dead" subplot was shot down before it could ever really be a thing. Probably would've been nice of Yuya to phone her dad about it, though.

Also, notice that they never show her mother. Yuzu was totally adopted.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Since he didn't seem to give a poo poo that Serena told Yuya I doubt that's it. He probably just didn't tell Yuya about it so that he'd get pissed off enough to use Odd Eyes Rebellion in their duel and that way Reiji could learn more about XYZ Pendulum's. And then he didn't tell him afterwards because it'd be awkward or something, I don't know.

I think the intention was to get Yuya and his angriest (and strongest) just so he could smack him into place. Crush his spirit a little and get him to go along with his stupid plan.

If Academia doesn't attack the Standard dimension while they're gone, they are the dumbest villains ever.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

That's exactly what I'm hoping happens. They can't just leave Masumi's plot thread hanging, drat it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Hjalmar posted:

I know everyone always recommends the episode where Jack tries to get a job, but I'd also like to recommend epidode 76, in which Jack tries to be Batman. It might be my favourite episode in the series.

Sounds like Jack's having a bit of a midlife crisis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Yeah, Arc-V is awesome. Keep in mind though, the plot doesn't start to really come in until episode 34. Fittingly enough, episode 34 is also the best episode so far and they will probably never top it.

edit: Um. Pretend you didn't see my avatar.