Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

VJeff posted:

It ain't happening, ever. This is Yuya's show and it's never not gonna be Yuya's show.

Kinda hope they don't end up doing this same sort of thing with the GX cast then, if they end up going that route. They're... alright, but Jaden was definitely the reason to watch that show. Maybe if they had Hassleberry and Chazz (the early one) and nobody else.

Still need to finish that series, actually. The second season kinda killed my enthusiasm for how lame it was. I'll get to it eventually...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Kay Kessler posted:

Were you watching it subbed or dubbed? Because the dub is excellent.

Dub, I can't imagine what this show would be like in Japanese.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Eh, I like the silhouettes. Makes it feel like they care enough to hype up something that's going on in the show.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Wait, Jack Atlus is his Japanese name? It's the most 4kids sounding thing in the world. They really were meant to dub this show.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

They framed that as the main characters working together to fight off the evil threat, but it still came off as the goofiest and most nonsense duel of the season, maybe even the series. Couldn't you keep someone from having a turn as long as you keep adding in people?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I'd say Yuya was holding on pretty well all things considered. Once the backup came it was obvious he wasn't really trying to entertain them anymore, just distract them so the others could run.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Slur posted:

He was riding a cartoon hippo. Why did he not run away with it and avoid the duel altogether? It's not like all of those cops would have been able to catch up with it.

He's like 14 and has to deal with cops. I think I can cut him some slack.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dabir posted:

It'd be season 1 Chazz. At best we could expect new Armed Dragon support, maybe.

Good, cause that's when Chazz was actually a good character.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

So of all the summoning types, is there any that comes out as the strongest? It's weird that fusion is apparently good these days, cause all I remember is never even touching it as a kid.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

paradoxGentleman posted:

There is no way that Dennis is actually a triple agent. There are going to be 8 years old watching this cartoon, there is no way they are going with something so complex,

They do that every single time there's a card game. The show has gotten about a billion times more complicated then when I was a kid.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Slur posted:

I launch my Gaia into your Castle of Dark Illusions using my Catapult Turtle, which thereby knocks off its flotation ring and destroys my own Gaia. For some reason, I lose some life points even though the strength between our monsters was equal, but that was well worth the price, for now the only thing holding up your castle is my Swords of Revealing Light. As soon as I end my turn, my swords will disappear, sending your castle crashing down upon your monsters. Unfortunately for you, your monsters cannot run away from the falling castle because you left them behind a convenient yellow barrier. Therefore, your castle will crush all of your monsters, depleting your lifepoints somehow, and I will win the duel with you.

http://www.hitbox.tv/SlurYgo

That's not even vaguely part of the game though and kids could never be expected to actually follow those rules. These days it's all legit.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I finally catch up to the anime and find out there's random Destiny Bond support? This is my lucky day.

Also Synchro dimension sure was... eventful. That was definitely like 50 episodes well spent. Yeah.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Of all the things to base a monster around beating, I'd say Special Summoning is about the most broad you can possibly come up with. I'd say his deck is more annoying to watch than that card being ridiculous.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Slur posted:

Oh good so I'm not the only one who thought of that entire arc as needless padding

Mostly the utterly pointless tournament. You could have had this stuff happen in a more interesting backdrop that wasn't just a vehicle to segregate the characters.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Now that Sora seems to be gone again for a while, it looks like Yuri has to pick up the slack for being best character. He doing a pretty good job so far.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Oh, Baal, you sweet, innocent Baal. You're watching some of the best stuff. When you get to the third year you'll be yearning for Synchro Dimension.
I'm a couple eps behind but the XYZ and Fusion arcs were tons better than the Synchro stuff, even if their characters weren't great.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

When you're almost a hundred episodes in it's no longer foreshadowing, it's just called stalling for time.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Tae posted:

Joey wins like 90% of his games due to rng cards, it's only fair

Yeah it's why I laugh at the idea of him being the "real" strongest duelist. A guy with a weighted coin can do as well as he does most of the time.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Then they gently caress all that up by having Atem show up for real and make everyone look incompetent, even after Yugi proved he was gone for good. That was really lame.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I thought the movie was pretty good but not great. It could have easily been a lot worse, like the way they beat the big bad, but I am glad Yugi got to beat Kaiba all by himself.

CharlestheHammer posted:

That would be Kaiba as gently caress

That was rad as hell but I can't help but think Atem would have no way of dueling him since the card game doesn't seem that developed in Egypt.

It also meant Kaiba learned absolutely nothing from the whole affair. He should be finding a new rival in Yugi, not chasing after the guy who died thousands of years ago.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

The only part I thought was plain bad was the ending, since the stuff before it made it clear it wasn't supposed to be about the duels at all.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I can't help but imagine Atem's reaction at the very end (post credits) being "Kaiba what the gently caress are you doing here, cards haven't even been invented yet."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I'd rather he end up coming back because the way it is, Kaiba learned literally nothing from the whole movie's message. The message it entirely undid in the climax but still.

I prefer thinking Atem shooed him off because it was a dumb idea and he doesn't even have any cards to play with.