Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Beef Waifu posted:

Joey vs Valon, I don't remember which episodes they are, but it's like the only reason to watch Season 4.

Just got done watching it, the Valon duel starts on episode 169 and last 4 episodes. I forgot how heavy some of the accents are, I could've sworn Mai didn't have one.

Also if I just want to want watch the finale of 5Ds I can do that, I don't need any buildup? And which episode does it start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

corn in the bible posted:

Bring back Jaden

I saw a random episode where Jaden dueled a dude that wanted to build the Duel Academy except underwater and after winning he gets kidnapped and it cuts to a week later to a scuffed up Jaden returning to Duel Academy in a smoking boat with no explanation of how he escaped.

GX owns.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

CharlestheHammer posted:

There is an episode were jaden gets hammered and jumps out a burning building.

Never got dubbed which is where GX shined.

Oh yeah I remember that episode becuase after that was dino guy's duel where he could have won but the bad guy showed him his past life as a dinosaur.

It's just I don't remember many episodes from the Shadow Rider arc. Like I also caught the one before the one I posted about which was the Amazoness duel which I remember, but I don't remember the part where Bastion loses and then Jaden's duel with her where their souls literally fight.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

For someone who hasn't been following the card game it feels like they are making it up as they go along,

"check out these new cards I got magically that lets me summon all my monsters."

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I stopped watching when Zarc showed up and from what I'm reading it sounds like the best part of the fusion arc is still Jack just showing up and driving his motorcycle on the wall.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

JamMasterJim posted:

I think it's against Team Catastrophe, episodes 104-105.
Also, watch episode 76

just watched these episodes

"Why did you save me?"
"Because you aren't worthy of dying!"

Jack's rad.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What happened?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

That's real lame

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > ADTRW > Yu-Gi-Oh Thread: But You Still Take Damage

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Speed Duels will be in VRAINS. We don't know if that means Speed Duels only, or if it'll be split between them and regular duels.
https://ygorganization.com/isbeingwiththewindmeaningusingguardiangrarl/

I thought this meant motorcycle dueling was coming back again.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ccs posted:

Is anybody else playing Duel Links for ios and Android? It's got a really good presentation and seems to have a lot of potential to expand and add cards and interesting duel mechanics (even though they simplified the game a bit for faster duels on mobile) but it's also got some grinding against a lot of boring opponents which I'm not a fan of. Still, sure beats having to actually pay money for trading cards.

Haven't been playing it much due to Persona 5, but I like it and yeah the grinding is real bad. Getting Mai to level 35 so I can get Harpy Lady 1 seems impossible.

Also Odion has an amazing VA.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Larryb posted:

Oh it's not a bad show by any means (in fact it's probably my second favorite season after the original) it just takes a bit to find it's footing.

Speaking of which, I've been rewatching some of the older shows and I was curious about something. Why did Yugi's actor change between "Season 0" and Duel Monsters? I mostly ask because the former gave Yami a slightly more sinister tone while in the latter they sound almost exactly alike. As an aside, I really like the original series before the Duel Monsters game basically took over the whole show (which kind of defeats the whole "King of Games" concept if you're only focusing on one), it's kind of a pity we'll never really get something like that again in this franchise.

They kinda tried at least, with Dungeon Dice Monsters. Too bad that didn't take off, I liked the GBA game.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I just found out about Attack the Moon!

I'm glad they made a card based on Yugi's bullshit in Duelist Kingdom.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Man how have I never noticed this? Also Bakura's dub voice is a lot better.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Tae posted:

Lowlight was all the sudden voice changes. Mai's voice in the Orichalchos arc was awful, I don't know why her replacement went full 1880's southern bell.

Highlight was Kaiba in the final episode against Zork, yelling that he's not afraid of holograms.

I like Kaiba telling Zork he doesn't like bullies more.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

CharlestheHammer posted:

They always tell them what the cards do, just only when it's effect activates,

Which makes conditional effects and traps really powerful.

There's an episode in Arc V where Yuya checks an opponent's monster card effect and that was the only time it has ever happened.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

This discussion made go rewatch Joey vs. Marik, but I watched subs on Crunchyroll and lol the episode preview for the last turn

"Don't die Jounochi!"

"Next time on Yu-Gi-Oh, Jounochi Dies"

Like the episode title is literally "Jounochi Dies"

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Next week's episode title is making me think VRAINS is about to do another recap episode.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

lol at jack slowly sliding into frame in the second one

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hjalmar posted:

sergei owns

remember when he revealed he had like jetpack legs or something and then blasted away with yuzu

i hollered & pumped my fist when that happened

My favorite is during the Jack Atlas duel where he smashes his face into the console to fuse with his motorcycle.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I appreciate the Lonely Brace duel for them bluffing despite getting bad draws, it doesn't happen enough.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hey so I've been watching a lot Yugioh that I haven't seen yet and wanted to post some thoughts.

GX season 3 is real bad. It drags a lot, it feels like it last forever, and the duels feel like filler which I feel like GX has a huge problem of, but it's a lot worse in Season 3 because it's boring filler. At least the endgame duels were good, Zane vs. Dark Jesse and then Amon vs. Dark Jesse were super good duels.

I actually like GX Season 4 a lot, Jaden is still boring like in Season 3, but he's a bit better. Chazz and Cyrus got good final duels with good character growth. Everything after to the end is good, except for the part where it turns out both of Axel's parents made it out okay making his duel real dumb and Fubuki's duel ending in a draw only for the show to go "nah" and losing instead. Also Alexis is a real bad character.

Don't actually have to say about the first half of 5Ds just all around good. The second half has that filler problem, but at least it's good, I love Jack Atlas trying to get job so he can fuel his Blue-Eyes Mountain addiction only to get involved with beating up gangs and loan sharks. Crash Town is good and the tag duel against Lotten is one of my favorite duels. The victory against Team Unicorn is baffling made worse be Jean's teammates encouraging him to be dumb, made even worse by Team Unicorn still competing afterwards meaning Team 5Ds could have taken that loss and still been okay. Team Catastrophe is Jack Atlas at his finest.

"Why did you save me?"
"You don't deserve to die."

Don't have much else to say about anything after.

Now all that's left is Zexal.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The problem with the duels is it alternates between Playmaker and Soulburner constantly, they need to have Go, Blue Angel, or Ghost Girl duel to break it up. I imagine that's why they reintroduced the Hanoi into this season, since it seems like there aren't a lot of antagonist. You got the two mysterious brothers who are working under the big bad, DEATH SHEPARD, and maybe that one lady who was on that cruise ship at the beginning of the season and hasn't shown up since.

Also I feel like the plot isn't actually going anywhere right now and I'm still annoyed that they reintroduced Hanoi in another clip show episode. At least Go is a real good character and his deck changing from an archetype that's based around pro wrestling to one based around sport wresting reflecting his change in mentality is cool.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It was real funny watching Yusaku confront Revolver in real life only for the two of them to duel in Vrains.

Can't even play the card game irl anymore.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Larryb posted:

Come to think of it, have we actually seen a single duel in the real world so far or does it all happen in Link VRAINS?

There was one in Soulburner's flashback episode two weeks ago.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

VJeff posted:

So I guess by the ZEXAL formula, it's gonna get really good in the second half? And then the next one will be really good for 75 episodes and then fall off a loving cliff. Because that's the only two ways a Yu-Gi-Oh can go.

Did Zexal have a glacial moving plot interspersed with cute character moments in the first half?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kay Kessler posted:

Really? I stopped watching after the Battle Beast and it seemed adequate enough to me.

The duel against Zarc is insanely miserable. 4 2v1 duels in a row where everyone loses because his boss card has 7 layers of protective bullshit. Then Zarc loses in the most boring way possible.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kay Kessler posted:

I was referring to the dub being adequate (for a kid's show dub, at least). I watched the entirety of the original and am unfortunately aware of how the show shits the bed. I probably stopped watching the dub just so I wouldn't have to relive it. :v:

Oh whoops, but yeah Shay/Shun's voice is good and Sawatari's is excellent.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Rudoku posted:

They stopped showing Pot of Greed years ago.

I'm looking forward to Revolver playing it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

rannum posted:

I think Arc-V also had this one specific instance where Yuuya, in one his many gloomy periods, actually just straight up read what his opponent's card did during his own turn and i was just taken aback in shock

The best part of this is the reveal that the duel disk have always had the functionality for anyone to check cards and no one has used this feature.

But honestly after playing Duel Links for a while I've come to the realization that no one reading cards in the show is completely accurate to real life.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Go continues to have good duels even if he dropped his pro wrestler gimmick and implanting an AI into your brain for the sole purpose of making you better at card games is the ridiculous poo poo I love this series for.

Also kinda of a hosed up way to kill a character, RIP Earth.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

AlphaKretin posted:

The card reading was in the duel against Alexis in Episode 123. Not sure what you mean about the duel disk, the twist I was referring to was suddenly busting out Super Polymerization.

Duel Disk have the function to bring up your opponents cards on their field so you can read them. For some reason this function is only used once.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kaiba clearly used his tech from DSoD to send cards into space in GX.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

5D: Jack Atlas needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Whenever Jack Atlas is not on screen, all the other characters should be asking "Where's Jack Atlas"?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Akiza should have been replaced by Carly. She and Jack are the best characters that don't go around screaming that they're the Captain of TEAM SATISFACTION

Carly even had a better confrontation with Akiza's weird controlling boyfriend.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Yeah it's pretty bad, I thought it was going to be a short one since there's a part in the ED that looks like a stopping point but it kept going. Also the ED change makes me think they are going to drag on this part even though they are what looks to be the final battles.

That being said I kinda like this episode. The plot twist gives Lightning a neat motivation. Too bad it took them so long to get to it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

How come no one told me about this episode of Zexal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTnIp_zSi5g

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Zexal gave us some dumb stuff like this at least

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQSi1AyVGbI

The closest VRAINS ever got to stuff like this is Go implanting an AI into his brain to make him better at card games and almost dying from it. Also the duel where both players brick on the first turn.

Hopefully this arc is better because free will Roboppy is precious.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I like the part in Zexal where the bad guy pulls off the destiny draw BS to get a card that would have won the duel, but the restrictions on it prevent it from activating.

Also Shark's "death" in the dub.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I'm real sad Revolver never pulled out a Pot of Greed like I thought he would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Haven't watched the final episode yet, but it sucks to hear it's a nothing ending. I was enjoying Ai and Robopoppi as villians.

Where does VRAINS fall in the Yu-Gi-Oh rankings for everyone?