Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Even as a kid I thought the show was pretty contrived.

I got into the card game though, even though it, like a lot of card games, had pretty inconsistent "card power" between sets after a while.

Dungeon Dice Monsters was hella rad though I'll get on board with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

I watched the first couple of seasons of GX and actually quite liked it. It is my shame.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

I was super cool when I was younger and totally organised a Yu-Gi-Oh! lunchtime club at me secondary school (which later expanded into just games in general).

Don't get me started on the problems with anime card effect vs real card effect discrepancies, like the face-up DEF stuff. It was a real hassle at times.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

This thread has not only pushed me start (re-)watching all of the anime but also has made me want to pick up the manga for the first time too.

Viz is releasing the first Yu-Gi-Oh 1+2+3 volume sometime next month.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

This rewatch has been perfect to have on in the background while packing for a move.

I need to move more often.

I love how variable the atk/def values seem to be in the anime. Like people being surprised at the attack of the opponent's monster or it just suddenly shooting up. Often due to "field effects".

There's no way GX or later can compare to the dub of the original series. It's perfect.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

I didn't believe this was real and had to look it up.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Did the card game used to be simpler or is it just that I'm too old to understand how.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Anything beyond Metal Raiders is awful.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

For me Yu-Gi-Oh as a card game hit its peak around the time the first couple of batches of Western structure decks started to come out. They really pushed the way combos could work at me and I started to get it.

And that Zombie deck man, Christ, what a wrecker.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Wish I had bought the Yugi and Kaiba Reloaded decks when they were new so I didn't have to pay a bit more. But I will get them both for nostalgia.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Is it just me or do Pendulum summons seem kind of overpowered?

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Nyaa posted:

It's pretty much the norm now to be able to summon a bunch of monster in one turn. Especially for rush archetype like x-saber and blackwing.

This seems to be the prime difference between what I was used to and and the current game.

I just picked up a Starter Set (possibly a recent-ish one, it's based around Pendulum monsters?) and someone kindly gave me the 2014 Mega Tin so I'm trying to get back into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Silento posted:

I don't know how 4Kids got the opening so right when they dubbed Pokemon and Yu-gi-oh, but managed to gently caress up a bunch of their other shows' openings (One Piece, Tokyo Mew Mew) so badly.

I have never watched One Piece but thanks to the theme song I am least aware that it's the name of the treasure, and for that I am thankful.