Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
It always seems when I'm watching Yugioh I get to like the last 5 episodes of the series then just can never find copies of the episodes. I think it took me a year to finish watching the last like 3 episodes of 5Ds. and I was like 5 episodes short of Ze-X-al when I was unable to find them anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

I'm going to bring this thread up to say, man, VRAINS is neither good or bad but it is punishingly Mediocre to me.

Which is a shame, because I think some of the characters in it (Go Onizuka is the most obvious) are really good characters, either due to depth or simply because their personalities and goals are simple, easy to understand, and they're fun to watch. But the rest of it is pretty mediocre. The gimmick of pulling out new cards then winning with them was fun for awhile, but I'm glad they've changed it up, and watching chain summonings is pretty fun. But Speed Duels just don't seem like they're as much fun to watch as Master Duels, because there's less stupid combos and more 'here's a random anime power I have'.

I also don't particularly like Soulburner as a duelist. He basically just uses the same Deck/Strategy as Yusaku except he only has 1 equivalent to the Talkers, so he only plays like 8 cards, and the pattern is basically 'Yusaku does a new thing and then Soulburner does it in his next duel', particularly with the Ritual and Fusion summonings. Also the fact his first few duels were him going to Season 1 characters and making them realize they were being dumb or whatever was kind of silly.

The show isn't bad to me, but I feel like the most boring characters are the protagonists, which I guess is standard for a lot of shows, but I feel like it hasn't always been the case in Yugioh.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

It is a very combo focused show due to how Link Summoning works, unfortunately. It's not like 5Ds where Yusei was basically a straight up Tempo/Control player instead of a beat down; Yusaku (And Soulburner) both run beatdown combo decks, so it's not very engaging. It's awesome spectacles and I'd say the second season's dueling is more engaging, but I'm mostly watching it because it still feels like it could be good somewhere.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

the actual sin of the Hanoi flashback episode is that the end scene was cool but made me totally baffled as to what was going on.

Was the doctor's brain trapped in some secret cyberprison and they were freeing her mind so she could go back to work? Was she trapped in a real space prison and them all turning into their Knights avatars just a dramatic ending sting even though they basically look the exact same? Why was she captured but no one else was?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

I mean it does have a justification; the AIs that are the plotkeys of the show are built on the basis of dueling. There's a step between that and 'so we solve the problems with dueling' I guess, but that also kind of makes sense; since the AIs are residing in the duel disks, maybe beating the AI is how you unlock the program or whatever. In the first version of VRAINS you couldn't even hurt people if you wanted to; in VRAINS 2.0 you still can't unless you're a hacked character like Blood Shepard.

the 'Go into Link VRAINS to duel' was really dumb but also I guess kind of made sense because Revolver had the shutdown program to the Tower linked into him losing a duel; beating him outside of VRAINS wouldn't have done anything.