Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I've always been amused for how batshit insane the manga versions are compared to the anime (Lua and Rua being Psychos, GX being a more proper sequel to Duel Monsters, Yuma being an idiot--oh wait.)

Still, the original manga was way more enjoyable when the card games were secondary. Once that they became the focus the only thing the manga got over the anime was the lack of filler arcs.

So, what's gonna happen with the Card Battle anime thread now? I mean, it was pretty much the YGO thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Beef Waifu posted:

Was it? I'm sorry, I assumed that like Japan had an abundance of this stuff still like Cardfight Vanguard and Bakugan to talk about.

Well, only like two thread regulars talked about Vanguard. The rest of us were in for YGO (both the anime and the card game). Although this thread has been way more active.

everythingWasBees posted:

So wait, subs or dubs, for each series and season, before I begin marathoning them all.

Skip Zexal, is terrible.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So I don't know how many of you guys are familiar with the card game but there are some cards inspired by the Isthar family

There's also this guy, inspired by the Thief King Bakura

Pretty neat homage to the anime.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Man, the english dub for YGO is awful. I'm gonna keep seeing my latin american dub thank you so much.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
What can I say? The latin american dub was wonderful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTNZVcfWNcY

Man, those duels were hype as poo poo :allears:

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 15, 2015

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Beef Waifu posted:

Man, spanish dubs for anime always have this weird sound quality to it where the voices sound like they don't mix very well with the audio in the rest of the show.

To be fair, that is because is a low quality recording. They sounded perfect on the broadcast or the home releases.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Holy poo poo, is that Yugi's mom?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Is a mix of both actually.

There are fusion, XYZ and Synchro monsters on Yuya's dimension, but those are restricted to the people on LSD academy. Then you have the cards hold by the Rebellion people and Yugo that are cards never seen before on Yuya's dimension.

So I guess that Leo Corporation servers have info about every card in existance in the multiverse.

:catdrugs:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Pv4LjRbET8

Card games are serious business

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Momomo posted:

Well yeah, but that's the game mechanics, I meant more the concept in the context of the show. Is there any real logic as to what the two monsters are supposed to be doing, or is it just fusion without them admitting it?

Synchro was handled as the two monsters opening sort of a portal for the Synchro monster to materialize on the "real world". The tuner is the door, while the synchro material is the key.

XYZ are supposed to be antimaterial creatures using the XYZ units as means to stabilize their presence on the material world.

Or something like that :v:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The game is tragically different than a decade ago.

Proof of this

Sophia no Necloth / Nekroz of Sophia
Light Spellcaster / Ritual / Effect
LV11 3600/3400
You can Ritual Summon this card with any “Nekroz” Ritual Spell Card. Must be Ritual Summoned from your hand by using 3 monsters with different Types you control, and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. (1) During either player’s Main Phase 1: You can discard both this card and 1 “Nekroz” Spell Card; during this Phase, your opponent cannot Special Summon from the Extra Deck. (2) When this card is Ritual Summoned: You can banish all other cards on the field and in both Graveyards. During the turn you activate this effect, you cannot Normal or Special Summon other monsters.

What the gently caress Konami? :suicide:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Schubalts posted:

Wait, so if your opponent has less than 3600 lifepoints, is this just an "I win now" card?

Ayup.

Mind you, this was the original version of the card

Sophia, Goddess of Rebirth
Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must be Special Summoned (from your hand) by banishing 1 face-up Ritual, Fusion, Synchro, and Xyz Monster from anywhere on the field, and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. This card's Special Summon cannot be negated. When this card is Special Summoned: Banish all other cards from both players' hands, fields, and Graveyards. Cards and effects cannot be activated in response to this effect's activation.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Holy crap, there's a guy on Arc V that uses a Prophecy Deck. Wonder if we will see him duel though.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Xoidanor posted:

Yup that's pretty much exactly how they operate when they get their setup, it's beautiful. :swoon:

It says a lot of how insane the card game has become that X-Sabers are considered mediocre at best on the current meta.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

KittyEmpress posted:

The only really good deck archetypes I remember are Black Wings and Dark World. Did either of those get nerfed hard recently? I actually own a full Dark World deck, as a gift from a friend when he decided to start playing magic instead of Yu-Gi-Oh.

They haven't been nerfed but they're seriously outclassed by the bullshit archetypes Konami Japan is making on each new expansion.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The original Duel Monsters anime will air in a "Remastered" version starting February 7th

And this has just showed up

It seems that is gonna be the follow up to Dragons of Legend

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Beef Waifu posted:

I bought a deck today, help

Hope it was Hero's Strike.

And see it like this, at least you didn't bought 4 Noble Knights box sets (one of them in spanish) for collectionist purposes.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Beef Waifu posted:

It was Saga of the Blue Eyes because I am in love with Seto Kaiba.

Oh that is pretty good too.

Onmi posted:

why did you need 4? did the spanish one come with a new one. Also how's that spot of a non-platinum Brothers feeling in your deck?

I wanted a full playset of Merlin, Last Chapter and Bedwyr plus an extra copy of each for my collection binder.

I've had the deck since LOTGY so I only changed the commons for the Plats, and added a spanish platinum knight for those I run on multiples. So I didn't have an issue with my secret rare brothers.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Xoidanor posted:

Did you at least play with the deck? The amounts that you keep spending on all sorts of collectors items will never seize to amaze me.

Well, I haven't used other deck since I built it more than a year ago.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

AlternateNu posted:

Joey had some serious bullshit luck-skill, though. (Though, you could probably say that about all the main characters from all the YGO series.) Those dice cards popped up way too often in his favor. And the way Angel's Dice and Demon's Dice worked in the anime was broken as gently caress. (Though, I think Angel's Dice has a <=500atk restriction on it.)

He fought regularly against guys that could will their next draw, used literal gods or had the strongest arsenal on the game. He needed to even the odds.

Plus, there were times when he was boned by his luck.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
http://1157981433.deviantart.com/

This guy has plenty of HD renders from recent cards

Great stuff

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

alcharagia posted:

Nekroz of Odd-Eyes

Yuya going all Action armor on us would be awesome

For reference this is a Nekroz:

A guy using this monster as armor:

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 15, 2015

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
You guys better get used to XYZ monsters

quote:

Entermage Trapeze Wizard

Spellcaster Xyz Effect
anime effect
2 Level 4 Spellcaster-Type monsters

Any effect damage lower than or equal to this card's ATK becomes 0. During either player's turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, then target 1 monster on the field; that target can make a second attack during each Battle Phase this turn. At the end of the Battle Phase, if it did not make a second attack, destroy it.

paradoxGentleman posted:

You know what needs a buff? Fusion monsters. They have the most limiting summon conditions and are not nearly as strong as they should be.

You want more buffs than shaddoll?

quote:

1 "Shaddoll" monster + 1 WATER monster
Must first be Fusion Summoned. Neither player can Special Summon monsters from the hand or Graveyard with Spell/Trap effects. If this card is sent to the Graveyard: You can target 1 "Shaddoll" Spell/Trap Card in your Graveyard; add it to your hand.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Or Shaddoll

Also, drat. The game has some really great art going as late

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

TheKingofSprings posted:

Unban Future Fusion so I can play this lovely broken card game again

They would need to ban the Dragon Rulers first.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Pretty stupid but drat if it didn't made me laugh

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Onmi posted:

I mean it's hinted at a few times like early on, the first darkness duel, the duel in the Society of Light and those are the only moments off the top of my head that haven't just been "Friends!"

Which is really weird looking at Aki, Anzu and Yuzu who are all very obvious about their feelings

If I'm remembering right, Alexis having a crush on Jaden was something added by the dub at first.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Xoidanor posted:

EDIT: Also, and this is important,

Noble Knights have always and will always be terrible.

Not really, you just need to be smart.

That most meta decks are going for trapless builds it only help us.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Nutellas are other easy to use deck

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
We should set gaming nights or something. I'd love to play with all of you guys.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

:drat:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

everythingWasBees posted:

Wait does a card getting banished prevent effects that occur after you tribute summon. Specifically Cardcar D.

I might be wrong but I seem to remember that only applies if the card specifies "tributed and sent to the graveyard" on its effect. So if only says "tribute" you can apply effect even if it will be vanished.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Just wait until you play against Nekroz

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Xoidanor posted:

I'm still unsure of why Sangan couldn't get pegged back to 1 after that ruling. :negative:

Burning Abyss are a thing.

By the way, Crush Card Virus is getting reprinted on the newest Golden Series. What are the odds it comes off from the Banlist in April?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Dexie posted:

It probably will. It's errata kind of ruins it.

Kind of a necessary evil, tons of meta archetypes can abuse the card nowadays.

Amusingly, My NK will be very happy to get hit by it

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I can't help but wonder if bringing back CED: EOTE would make a significant change to the meta.

Ah the good days when Necrovalley was one of the best options against Chaos decks :corsair:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
It would be nice if Konami would mix things up and make the ace of the deck something but a dragon.

I'm kind of burned out of dragons all the loving time.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Time to start hunting the core of a Red Eyes deck.

The comments say that is an unknow monster, so more Red Eyes in the future?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
As already mentioned, Talaya is only inmune to destruction effects so she can be dealt with easily with cards like 101, Castel, Compulsory Evacuation Device, Karma Cut (among others) or any monster with a high attack.

The same cards can also tace care of Chirubime, but if you are just being held up by her protecting from battle other monsters. A mere Book of Moon can get the work done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
holy poo poo, those Red Eyes cards

Holy poo poo, Hermos

HOLY poo poo TOON SUPPORT

Just uh, tell me that Hermos and the toon support aren't those promo magazine bullshit and we will got them soon.

Also, that banlist is pretty nice. Hope the TCG one isn't utter bullshit again.