Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Endorph posted:

yeah but Luca/Luna was cool. I liked that miniarc where she went on a fantasy adventure with a lion and the Dark Magician.

Basically I have to wonder if they got some sort of corporate mandate to make Season 3 more like Duel Monsters, like what happened to Gundam 00 inbetween seasons.

A new showrunner took over, wrapped up all the plot stuff in season 2 as quickly as possible and then went full steam ahead with generic shonen bullshit 101. Carly didn't disappear, that's the worst bit, she became a waitress in Jack's favourite cafe where he drinks absurdly expensive coffee and every so often was called upon to swoon over him with the other waitress there.

alcharagia posted:

Look really I'm probably just glorifying the memory of the parts of Yugioh 5D's I found funny because oh my loving GOD Zexal is bad and I hate it

what the gently caress does kattobingu even mean

YEAH I'M FEELIN' THE FLOW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hjalmar posted:

At what point in the anime (if ever) do characters stop normal summoning monsters in face-up defense position?

They've stopped in Arc-V! Although, admittedly, the very first time it was mentioned was Gongenzaka using a monster that you can Summon in face-up defense anyway.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Some people feel like the first two seasons are an over-long buildup to Jaden getting some actual development in the third. I'm not saying that's my opinion, but it's an opinion.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

SpazmasterX posted:

I still don't understand how you have an honest to god card games school. Like, how much material can you conceivably stretch out over a school year let alone multiple years?

Also does no one have the internet or a Duel Monsters wikia in Arc-V? I don't see how cards and things like specific summon methods can just be unknown. :v:

Everyone at the academy is a total screaming moron. Also, there's classes like 'duel alchemy'.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah, and Xyz monsters are all from outside the galaxy and made of antimatter.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Well, he founded Duel Academy, which is what Regalingualius was referring to. He does make one cameo in season 2. Nothing after GX, though.

E: And once in season 1 if you count Kaibaman (always count Kaibaman).

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

poo poo you people post fast.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

When you get to Battle City, yeah. Prior to that? No.

Excuse me.

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Attack_the_Moon!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

mabels big day posted:

It's really cool that the hosed up evil spirit in yugi's puzzle has no qualms with sending people's brains into the shadow realm

This but unironically.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Half the cards in Yuya's hand spontaneously transformed into entirely new, never-before-seen, presumably not offically printed cards in the first episode of Arc-V and that was just accepted as the way things are done now.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That poo poo's traditional. Toon monsters, anyone?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Oh man, that one time Mirror Force did damage and the amount it did was just blatantly plucked out of thin air to put the opponent's life points on something dramatic.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

He had his moments in the other seasons too, like his duel against Camula.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

The best part about Season 4 of GX?

They basically somehow worked Creationism into the show and made it so a single card was God and created the entire world. Because that is just how important card games are in Yu-Gi-Oh.

I don't know if I'm misremembering that but I'm pretty sure I'm not.

Oh, and when Judai was REALLY sure that Darkness wasn't going to go and use his Infinity Combo again and is really loving shocked that...yes. Yes he did.

Isn't that ZEXAL's mythos? The universe was created by the Numeron card.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

There's a lot of teasing that relationship throughout the whole series to the point where Leo and Luna are sarcastically commentating on how they're the third wheel on a date between the two of them and the last episode has Aki confessing her feelings and Yusei accepting them with a very obvious kiss cut. So yes, a Yugioh series had a canon girlfriend for the protagonist.

Didn't they then immediately go their separate ways in the epilogue?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Xoidanor posted:

Pot of Greed and Graceful Charity are the dominant writing crutch for most of the original and GX. They're gone by the time of 5Ds though and never return as far as I can remember.

I'm pretty sure they were legal back then, and disappeared when they were banned IRL.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Judai is an odd case in that he isn't directly cheating, the manga describes him as having extremely high draw luck, which is a bullshit talent but not technically unfair. Even when he does get supernatural powers they're used mostly out of battle, I can't think of any moment Judai uses his Supreme King powers or Jubel to cheat. On the other hand, there is no way in hell he's actually carrying all the Fusion Monsters he uses.

Comes up a couple of times in the anime too. There's one other minor character who somehow learned bullshit draw luck by going and becoming Tarzan.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

To be fair, what he learned was specifically being able to tell exactly what card he was going to draw, if I remember it correctly. Or at least what type of card. Which is still impossible, but not as impossible as 'i learned to draw what card I want'.

"Tide WILL come in. Leaf WILL fall. Me WILL draw card me want. Me in tune with nature. please give me a shirt"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jaden's deck would have been improved if he'd used Negate Attack instead of Hero Barrier.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

My favourite bit about ZEXAL is how in Japanese it's pronounced ZEARU. The X is silent.

Pour one out for phonetics.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Although really he should have used TWO Faultrolls, that's a loop you can keep going as long as you like.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

He's right, you know.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

dogsicle posted:

I hate the 5ds dub opening and wish it were easier to skip on Hulu. But yeah the GX one is great.

You may have no soul. The 5Ds one is the most inexplicably awesome thing to come out of 4kids.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Kay Kessler posted:

I watched the first two episodes when they aired, from what I can remember it was a pretty standard kid's anime dub. If you've ever seen the Nintendo-made Pokemon dubs, its like that but with less wooden acting. Yuma's voice was okay, but from clips of it I've seen it gets worse (i.e. nasally) as the series goes on. Other than that, I don't remember it being any worse than the original Japanese, and was better in some ways.

I'll probably start watching it soon, but I'm a) waiting for the whole thing to be completed, and b) I'm watching the 5Ds dub for the first time and having just finished the Dark Signers arc, which means I now have to suffer through the loving WRGP all over again. :smithicide:

You don't have to. Stop. It's for your own good.

The thing that gets me about zexal, even just reading plot summaries on the wiki, is how loving stupid the whole metaplot is, even for Yugioh. The general rule I'm seeing in Yugioh is that the bits that have some connection to real world mythology (ancient Egyptian games, Atlantis, demons in the Nazca lines) are the good bits and the rest of it takes a left turn off the crazy cliff and nosedives into the rocks of awfulness (Virtual World, GX season 3, Yliaster, ALL OF ZEXAL). Arc-V seems to be kind of an exception, but arguably alternate dimensions are kind of like modern mythology.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

Just watching through the remastered ep1 of DM when I hit a note.

Kaiba's flunkies make mention that they picked up three of the four BEWDs but I was under the impression that he had them before the series started.

Course I could be trying to make Season Zero fit into DM Continuity again which is something I shoudln't realy do.

In the manga he didn't have them from the start, he tried to steal Yugi's grandpa's copy, but by.. I think his second appearance? He had the other three. His second appearance was where he tortured Yugi's grandpa in the holographic room, which I guess was adapted into hospitalising him before the duel with Yugi.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I certainly wouldn't demand that Beef Waifu go through and summarise all of the horribly dumb poo poo that happens in ZEXAL. I wouldn't blame him if it was just one line.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Xoidanor posted:

La Jinn actually being a normal monster cracked me up, I can't remember a single normal monster being played through the entirety of 5Ds.

VVVVVVV: Goddammit you're right.

Unicycular. Maybe.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Xoidanor posted:

Yup, the real question is, will we be seeing a ritual version eventually?

No.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

No.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Momomo posted:

They could always break their own rules, like they always do, and say you have to use Dark Rebelion as an overlay with Odd Eyes and say it's not a normal XYZ summon.

Rank-Down-Magic to turn a Rank 7 into a Rank 4, then have it Cxyz change or Rank-Up-Magic to turn into something greater?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

All the video games do, except the international release of ZEXAL World Duel Carnival because it just gives you all the cards off the bat.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Is it just me, or are Obelisk Force's masks designed to actually look like the weird thing on Obelisk's forehead?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The cool thing about Red-Eyes Fusion is that Black Skull Dragon is the fusion depicted in Polymerization. The orange shapes are Summoned Skull and Red-Eyes.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yusei started sounding less and less like Tristan as it went on.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Kay Kessler posted:

I mentioned it a few pages back, but one of the composers for the 5Ds dub uploaded some tracks to his site, and some of them are actually really good. They just tend to be drowned out on the show.

On a different note, the 5Ds dub is probably the only time I ever said to mayself, "wow, you know who's a really good actor in this? Jason Griffith!". Well, that and the Zetman dub he was in.

You didn't link it though!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

They won't try and translate the wordplay, they know better than that. They'll probably just have Yuto accuse Yugo, maybe get his name wrong.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Bear in mind that the Yugioh Wiki is mostly written by actual 12 year olds so the card tips have a 50/50 chance of being helpful. For instance, any card that lowers your own LP will have Megamorph recommended in the tips.

E: On the other hand if you want a list of all things a card works with/can search, it's very useful for that.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I still want to make Gradius good. I mean not Gradius the card, but all the cards like it.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That's a year and a half old though and the game's shifted up about six gears since then. And he's cherry-picking hard in that video.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It got translated as Googly-Eyes Drum Dragon though. Much worse name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You could have used a better analogy there.