Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I remember being really annoyed at GX because they couldn't seem to figure out if something had a SPECIAL ABILITY or a SUPER POWER, even within singular episodes. Some cards would have special abilities, others would have super powers, I don't know the difference.

I only remember this because this thread made me go watch the season one Chazz vs. Jaden match to hear them chazz it up.

How did anyone think that sounded good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Dabir posted:

Half the cards in Yuya's hand spontaneously transformed into entirely new, never-before-seen, presumably not offically printed cards in the first episode of Arc-V and that was just accepted as the way things are done now.

Look, they worked in the machine that monitors all dueling and tracks fake cards and whether every move is legal, so clearly it was all above board. Just because no one, not even the people running the system had ever heard of Pendulum summoning or seen or printed any of these cards doesn't mean they're illegal, the computer accepted it all so it all checks out.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Xoidanor posted:

Is it really any worse then the son of the owner of leo corp having cards made for him and simultaneously being the best player in the world thanks to them?

Uh, yes? Sort of? I mean that's worse in a different way. The way Yuya's stuff works is weird because it's something that's legal despite no one knowing anything about it. His cards should never have existed, they were never printed by anyone as far as we know, the summoning method is one that the company in charge of Duel Monsters in the show knows nothing about, despite controlling the massive computer that automates duels.

Someone getting their father who is involved in makingcards to make special OP cards for you is jerkish and really spoiled and stuff, but it's not the same tier.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The final season of GX was great because wasn't that the one where Crowler suddenly becomes evil again, and then it turns out it's because he loves all his students and he doesn't want them to go away? Like that was the best character development, after he spent two and a half seasons being a jerk and then about half a season being a jerk but also an ally.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Man, I remember Ritual cards. Did they ever get a big season dedicated to them, or did the first (card game) season count as the 'ritual summon focused' season? because I remember that as mostly being fusions with like two ritual summons and a lot of 'advanced' summons.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

So I dunno much about the card game, but isn't Pendulum Summoning kinda a huge boost to XYZ summons? I know one of my friends played a deck based around having an 8 rank XYZ that required three level 8 monsters, and could just win the game after three turns with it. Being able to suddenly throw down three level 8 monsters in a single turn seems pretty big.

Though it also seems like just throwing down 3 level 8 monsters at once would win you the game easier than that.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Dabir posted:

Comes up a couple of times in the anime too. There's one other minor character who somehow learned bullshit draw luck by going and becoming Tarzan.

To be fair, what he learned was specifically being able to tell exactly what card he was going to draw, if I remember it correctly. Or at least what type of card. Which is still impossible, but not as impossible as 'i learned to draw what card I want'.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Dabir posted:

"Tide WILL come in. Leaf WILL fall. Me WILL draw card me want. Me in tune with nature. please give me a shirt"

Okay, well I haven't watched it in awhile, that's even dumber than I remember.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

It's pretty clear that you get a deck assigned to you at whatever school you go to, based on your name. Thus Dipper and his star deck, duh.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The only part of Arc-V I dislike is the Odd-Eyes Dragon. :colbert: they should have gone all in and given him a deck composed only of cute circus animals.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I always just pictured the Magicians as being like, the ring leaders of the circus. They look over the top enough for that. So the Dragon in particular stands out to me.

I'm only on episode 18 though, good to hear they don't phase them out for a more 'serious' deck.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Endorph posted:

What did Kaiba have to do with dragons besides the fact that he really loving liked dragons

Kaiba's deck was literally 'i have the strongest cards, gently caress thematics', because this was back before every card was only strong based on synergy with others of its type.

Nowadays in Yu-Gi-Oh 90% of decks and cards are only useful when used with other decks and cards of the same type, with some (mostly trap card) exceptions. Back when it first came out you could totally make a non-themed deck and just have ways to pull out a Blue Eyes, without making a full on Blue Eyes themed deck.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Dexie posted:

Characters didn't really start mimicking their deck themes until GX.

Nah, it was always a kind of thing, just not to the same extent. But all the side characters who weren't in the main group still represented their deck themes. Rex, Weevil, Mai, etc.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The only really good deck archetypes I remember are Black Wings and Dark World. Did either of those get nerfed hard recently? I actually own a full Dark World deck, as a gift from a friend when he decided to start playing magic instead of Yu-Gi-Oh.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Why does that girl have a piplup

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Onmi posted:

Yuya basically lost to Reiji. And even he admits that he won on chance and not merit.

Seriously, it's basically as much of a loss as Joey and Marik should have been a win. Last minute before Reiji/Joey declares his final move that wins him the game, with no possible way for Yuya/Marik to come back, he quits/passes out, and thus loses by default.

He could have spent a minute longer dueling and gotten to the problem that everyone was panicking about then, and would have won.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It's still a stupid plot point though. The protagonists losing every once in a while is a good thing, they don't need to get let off by technicalities.

The main problem is that every time they put a protagonist in a losing position, it's when big poo poo is on the line. If Reiji had gone through with the attack and won, You Show would have been shut down, and Yuya would have joined LDS.

Like, that could be an interesting story to tell, but it was obviously not the story they wanted to.

It's the same problem with Yuya like, losing to one of his qualifying duels for the tournament. If he lost, then we'd not get to see the tournament with him at least, and he has to be able to participate in some way.

Both of them could have been worked around though (Reiji declares that he doesn't want someone as terrible as Yuya in LDS and that he can keep his school, Yuya is forced to use the exemption that Reiji prepared for him) so I guess losing would've been fine for one of them.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I mean, Yugi's deck isn't top tier, but it's pretty usable, on the condition that you let it keep using the banned cards in it.

I have no doubt that they'll just let him use Pot of Greed or whatever.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Yuya is the best but he should have A.) Kept the clown motif, and B.) Stuck with just Entermates, instead of having a dumb lame dragon.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Agent Rush posted:

I love the concept of Action Duels, I'm just sad we'll never get a playable version of them.

All Yu-Gi-Oh fans would be steadfast duelists with Gong styled decks, because they're too fat to be able to go card searching.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

TheKingofSprings posted:

Aki says you better loving believe it

I actually had a discussion with someone about it, and we're both afraid Dennis might become the new Crow. Really absurdly good meta level archetype? Well look a few posts up and see the revealed Entermages. Smug and built up? Portrayed as better than the current side characters?

That said, at least Entermages look interesting, sorta.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Momomo posted:

Haven't seen 5D, was Aki really built up like Yuzu? At this point in time, it seems like Yuzu's going to be the one spearheading any kind of advancement of the plot, since she's talking to Serena, and she's had an actual character development arc.

Not to the exact same level, but she had her own entire arc, and was portrayed as one of the best duelists in the world before she joined the team. She was this big badass everyone was afraid of, and then had this huge arc where her and friends take down these bad guys, and then she stopped being relevant.

Note: I watched 5Ds back when it was new using subs, so I don't remember the specifics, might be incorrect?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

So is it just me, or are most high rank XYZ's kinda... worthless? Like, if I can get 3 level 7s or 8s, or even two, onto the field to XYZ them, it feels like it'd generally be a better idea to just... leave them there. Especially with how good of effects normal cards can have now.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I want an entirely updated and top tier toon deck return. I love when the top tier decks are adorably stupid designs, instead of hyper serious. it's the one thing YGO has done consistently in my experience.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

What are some good archetypes/deck set ups for semi-new players? I'm getting some friends to play DevPro with me, and want to be able to help them make some easy to understand decks, and most of them have only played a tiny bit.

Edit: specifically I need like four, since I'm getting four people into it.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Endorph posted:

for real though skull servant is a pretty easy to understand archetype. you dump skull servants into the graveyard and make 3 dudes with 4000 attack. i can post my deck list if you want me to, it's got some pretty simple combos that work well

That'd be helpful, but I really want to give each of them different deck archetypes, so they can play each other too, so I don't wanna make four decks of the same archetype.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Jesus, even just building myself a deck is proving a pain in the rear end. Why are all the cool archetypes that I think look interesting terrible?

I just want to make an Artifact Deck, but their best card apparently got hit hard.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Is anyone up and willing to do a quick duel? I want to test out this 'superheavy' deck I made, to see if it's good enough to be usable against noobs/non-tournament decks. I've tried to face pubbies three times, and two of the three were Qli and one was StellarKnights, and they all wrecked me, though I got the Stellar guy down to like, 600 LPs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I've had two really fun duels with this Superheavy deck, so far, out of like four.

One of them is against a Dragunity deck or w/e. I go first, face down giant rat. He goes onto his turn, gets out a 2900 (?) atk minion in one turn. Pops giant rat. I pay big benki. He goes 'fuk u' and surrenders.

Other one is against a Darkworld deck. They win the flip, go first. Spend a good minute and a half doing all their drawing, discarding, etc. I facedown giant rat. He runs into it with his 2700 + 300 atk minion. I get benki. He's let me discard two flutists. I gently caress up actually, and flip the benki to attack mode the third turn it's been out. He laughs and says 'oops i win' in the chat. Luckily I have a brawler out still, and a benki in hand. Sacrifice the two, play out the second benki. He gets all quiet, goes on with me destroying monsters but not really being able to clear the field. He XYZs a monster with the ability to destroy one face up monster.

Except i have flutists in the graveyard thanks to him. So that XYZ monster is negated and dies. I set a card and then destroy one of his (again). He's still at like 5100 LP despite me basically winning from turn 1. He is dumb and decides to attack into set card. Giant rat number 2, that he had let me draw by playing a dark world dealing - it was the card I drew, so I wouldn't have had it if he hadn't. I summon second big benki, and he surrenders.

Also had a game where a dude summoned THE FIRST DRAGON which can only be killed by normal monsters. Took me 10 turns to topdeck my soul piercer, with three benki's on the field.