Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

e:^^ Odd-Eyes looks great, but that CG Yuya is just hilariously bad.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

For Zexal i'd say give with the subs since apparently the dub ended abruptly and there is no dub of Arc V yet, so it's subs or bust.

Are you sure you're not mixing it up with 5Ds? Because when I talked to one of the voice actors about Arc-V they said that they had already finished recording all of Zexal.

It wasn't that big a loss for 5Ds or GX anyway since their final arcs are both god-awful.

Kay Kessler fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

alcharagia posted:

Another unpopular opinion I have: I don't mind, hell, I like Crow Hogan, I think he is a down dude

It's not that Crow's a bad character, he's just the worst of the Joey characters. I mean, you've got Joey, Syrus, Shark and Gongenzaka, all really interesting characters in their own right. And then you have Crow, who's just... there. Nothing bad, but nothing good.

Although if the Crystal Beast guy is considered a Joey character, then he's definitely the worst of the bunch.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Just a heads up for any dub fans in the thread; by the end of the month, all spinoffs (Arc-V excluded) should have Season 1 DVDs available to buy. GX and Zexal are already out, with 5Ds realeasing something soon. At least in the US. Not sure about other areas.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Momomo posted:

T-That poor guy just wanted to play some card games :(

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Televisio Frankus posted:

Although GX doesn't have the best character ever, Johnny Steps. :swoon:

Yes it does. His name is Dimitri and he's awesome.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Dragonatrix posted:

I got so confused when Xyz first showed up in Arc-V since I never saw anything of Zexal. They really could have picked a better name, since the current one led to me not being wowed by mystery goggle ninja and more of a "man I don't remember Kaiba having to do this when he used that dragon thing."

The name is supposed to represent the the coordinates on a star map (x-axis, y-axis, z-axis).
What's really weird is that early subs translated it as Exceed, even though there's not a single d-sound in the japanese name.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

The singapore dub for YGO is so powerful.

Fixed that for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-qylk_uscg

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

:stare:

I want to know what Singaporean Bandit Keith sounds like, now.

I looked, but I haven't been able to find any clips with him in it. But I did manage to find this

edit: And this.

Kay Kessler fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 15, 2015

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Speaking of Pokemon voice actors in Yugioh,Japanese Yami Bakura is Ash.

Kay Kessler fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 15, 2015

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Dexie posted:

4kids only has like, five voice actors that they endlessly recycle between all of their shows.

Well, they're not really owned by the company or anything. It's just that 4K is one of the few noteworthy companies in New York that hire voice actors, ever since other NY dubbing companies like Media Blasters and NYAV shut down. It's pretty much just them and Pokemon USA.

Also, since a lot of New York voice actors like Eric Stuart and Dan Green have either retired or just aren't doing as much voice work anymore, more and more roles are being given to new talent. All of the Arc-V dub VAs that have so far been announced are relatively new.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Dexie posted:

I really hope Dan Green comes back for the new movie.

He probably will. he still does voice work (his latest Yugioh role was apparently this guy in Zexal. Voice acting just isn't as big a thing for a lot of the older VAs anymore. Eric Stuart is busy with his music career, and Dan has kids to take care of.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Someone should gather all of those up.

Well, there's this image I had lying around showing some of them.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

quote:

Kalin Kessler

loving seriously? Goddamnit. :cripes:

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Strange Quark posted:

What about the crossover movie.

It's secretly a 5Ds movie.

It's also worse than Pyramid of Light.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

ThermoPhysical posted:

Other things about Pendulum Summons (since I run a Pendulum Deck and all :v:) are:

- You can't interrupt a Pendulum Summon while there is a Pendulum Summon going on. If I bring out Dragoons of Draconia and Lancephorhynchus and you have no response, you can't activate Dust Tornado as I use the 2 Scales (Dragoons and Lance) to bring out a second Lance, Tune Warrior, and Flash Knight. The Pendulum Summon can't be interrupted.

- If your Scales have only 1 Level between them, you cannot Pendulum Summon only Monsters of that Level. For example, if one Pendulum Monster is Scale 3 and your other is Scale 5, you cannot Pendulum Summon only Level 4 Monsters. This differs from the Anime, however.

A few small corrections:
While the Pendulum Summon itself cannot be stopped, the activation and summoning can be negated. So while Dust Tornado wouldn't stop it, a card like Solemn Judgement would.
And your example would be valid, since the numbers are two numbers apart. A Pendulum Scale of 3 and 4 would not work though, since there are no monster levels between those two numbers.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

ThermoPhysical posted:

Not sure, it's in the rulebook though that's with the Starter for 2014.

That rule just counts for numbers that are next to each other. It's just saying you can't Pendulum Summon with, say, a 3 and a 4 since you would only be able to summon monsters with a level of something like 3.5, which don't exist in the game.

Kay Kessler fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 23, 2015

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Silento posted:

Why did they change Reiji to Declan, anyways? Wouldn't "Reggie" have been fine? :shrug:

Edit: Though I guess it is kind of casual... Reginald, then.

Because according to the wiki, Reginald is Shark's dub name. :shepface:

Not gonna lie, I kinda want to watch the Zexal dub now.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Personally, the only reason I don't really care for Yuzu is I think her monsters' designs are really boring. Especially when compared to Yuya's and Gong's.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Endorph posted:

What did Kaiba have to do with dragons besides the fact that he really loving liked dragons

Well, Kaiba is Japanese for seahorse, which is considered a dragon in Japan for some reason. This is also the reason why Kaiba has a monster called Kaiser Sea Horse in his deck. :eng101:

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Silento posted:

TBH I found Re-Contract Universe to be one of the most ridiculous (in a good way!) things in ZeXal, and I was sad that it didn't show up again.

I feel like ZeXal was cancelled. They never explain whats up with ZeXal or the Door of Destiny, or how Yuma's dad knew what was going to happen in the future, and they shoehorned in the "Yuma is a piece of Astral" in the last episode. It's perfectly okay that it ended like it did, though, because it had its chance and Arc-V is way better from the very beginning.

That's probably true of all the spinoffs. Each one always felt unfinished to me. Especially GX.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I heard Zexal was really popular in Japan though, so I don't know why it'd be cancelled. Or am I misinformed?

Yeah, it was pretty big in Japan. It's got a lot of the stuff that Japanese audiences eat up; catchphrases, puns, exaggerated expressions, those omake scenes at the end of the episodes, etc.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

I don't know if it's true, but there was a pretty common rumor that the show was cut short because of issues with KENN's contract. Something about them not wanting to renew it for another year when they probably wouldn't need him for the entire year.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Personally, I'd have to say this one is my favorite of the bunch.

I have to wonder who thought the lyrics "I can hear you breathing" had anything to do with Yugioh.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

I'm up to 4 episodes of Arc-V and I love the designs of Stargazer and Timegazer magicians. Pendulum is a cool idea, but it seems really stupid in how much it can let you do, but hey I guess you actually need the cards to do it with first. I'm ready to see other people besides Yuya duel like Yuzu and Gongenzaka, but it's been fun so far.

This is one of the reasons you don't watch the 4Kids dub of 5Ds, the music is great.

The dub soundtrack had some good songs too, I think. I remember the composer had them up on his site to listen to and some were really good, about on par with the Japanese tracks.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

AnacondaHL posted:

Not that I'm close to starting Zexel yet, but are the dubs passable? I really don't want to look directly into the yugioh

I watched the first two episodes when they aired, from what I can remember it was a pretty standard kid's anime dub. If you've ever seen the Nintendo-made Pokemon dubs, its like that but with less wooden acting. Yuma's voice was okay, but from clips of it I've seen it gets worse (i.e. nasally) as the series goes on. Other than that, I don't remember it being any worse than the original Japanese, and was better in some ways.

I'll probably start watching it soon, but I'm a) waiting for the whole thing to be completed, and b) I'm watching the 5Ds dub for the first time and having just finished the Dark Signers arc, which means I now have to suffer through the loving WRGP all over again. :smithicide:

Kay Kessler fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Feb 10, 2015

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

mabels big day posted:

what the HELL did they do to mai's voice

Her actress moved to California so they had to get a replacement.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

The best thing is that it was totally pointless. You can lose twice in the WRGX (...it was that, right?) before getting kicked out, Team 5D's never loses. They could've lost this, to a team that actually showed more skill, and instead they win in an incredibly stupid way because the opponent suddenly becomes mentally retarded and decides that winning is less important than...some weird, out of place, nonsensical pride.

We could have avoided all this poo poo and still reached the same conclusion, but apparently our heroes must be absolutely invincible even if we have to gently caress everything up for it.

God, I love 5D's and yet that must be the most infuriating moment in the entire history of YGO for me. Even Zexal at its worst does not compare.

To make things worse, every other team in their bracket was rendered unable to compete by either Team Catastrophe or the Battle Royale against that robot army. They didn't even win their second match, they just advanced by default. The writers could have easily had them lose once.

Also, I don't know if this plot point was a dub-only thing or not, but it seemed like they foreshadowed that they would eventually face Ushio in the tournament. That would have been so much better than what we got instead.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

Oh I'm sure I will have words to say about considering the first episode alone made me go.

"Why is the first episode moving so fast?"

I think that might be a consequence of being a English dub on broadcast TV. I think some scenes have to be sped up slightly because of the way commercials work differently here than in Japan.
I've started watching the dub too, coincidentally. My thoughts:

Yuma's voice is worse than the original, but he's somehow more tolerable by virtue of not spouting his stupid catchphrase literally every sentence.
I can't stop laughing every time Shark opens his mouth. His voice is so over the top.
The dub opening is a loving million times better than 5D's.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

I hate the dub opening, like I legit almost stopped watching the episode entirely because I utterly despise the dub opening.

I laughed at both this and him slapping Yuya's hand away, it's the funniest thing about that whole episode.

Oh, it's pretty bad, don't get me wrong. I'll just take anything over loving Hyper Drive.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

I love ZEXAL's first dub OP. I haven't heard the second one yet, I'm only at whee Quattro lost to Shark.

4Kids was always good about Openings though.

"Quattro"? Seriously?

I suppose it's better than the japanese names. "Hey, what should we name the villains for this arc?" "How about Three, Four, and Five?"

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Hjalmar posted:

Okay yes these are good. More like this.

Elemental Heroes sound like they'd be more your thing. Most of the non-anime ones only require 1 Elemental Hero and one monster of a specific element to fuse. And they get access to the really good Miracle Fusion + Parallel World Fusion combo.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

You're thinking of Chimeratech Fortress Dragon, which indeed doesn't need a Fusion card to be formed and needs Cyber Dragon + 1 or more Machines, and gets 1000 attack for each Fusion Material Monster used to make it.

You might also be thinking of Chimeratech Overdragon, which does need Fusion but has the same materials and can attack as many times as monsters you made it from.

Fortress Dragon also upped Cyber Dragon's splashability. Since it can use monsters from anywhere on the field to fuse, anyone could just put one in their Extra Deck and have a handy counter to your opponents' machines.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

alcharagia posted:

The latter point I will not deny, Japanese 5D's is jammin' as gently caress.

I mentioned it a few pages back, but one of the composers for the 5Ds dub uploaded some tracks to his site, and some of them are actually really good. They just tend to be drowned out on the show.

On a different note, the 5Ds dub is probably the only time I ever said to mayself, "wow, you know who's a really good actor in this? Jason Griffith!". Well, that and the Zetman dub he was in.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

alcharagia posted:

Wheeeeere is this

No idea. He released them around when the dub was airing. He could have taken them down by now for some reason.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

The Entermages/Performagicians though seem to be the most anti-burn archetype ever, and I really like that. Maybe thats what the Enterma*/Performa* archetypes will be all about, control.

Maybe, but Yuya probably won't run a control deck. The whole "hot-blooded shounen hero" thing doesn't mesh well with a deck like that. .

Personally, I've had a good deal of luck running a Performapal beatdown deck with Cheermole at the center. It seems to piss a lot of people off to be beaten by cutesy-looking monsters.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

List of Good Characters
The Alien
Yuma's Sister
I guess Shark, I dunno his voice was funny

List of people I hate
Literally everyone else

You know, watching the dub, I don't really mind Flip/Tokunosuke. That may just be because I had to suffer through his Japanese voice, which is the worst thing ever. Giving him a campy voice and having him act like a door-to-door salesman is definitely an improvement.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

But tben he wont be a yu*.

Well, according to the text in the show, he actually "Hyugo". :v:

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Whelp, finally finished the Duel Carnival Arc. Now onto the actually decent parts of Zexal. :toot:

I gotta say, quality of the original work aside, I'm liking this dub over the 5Ds one. But other than Black Mist, a filler episode starring Dan Green, and a brief cameo of one of the best yugioh villains, there wasn't anything particularly noteworthy that happened in the show itself. I did get to hear Yami with a southern accent and a minor villain that sounded like if Tracey from Pokemon was evil, so it wasn't a complete loss. Looking forward to how a certain character - the aforementioned villain - is voiced.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

AnacondaHL posted:

Trip report: :wtc: Let me just make sure I have this right. Jaden escapes from an exploding Kaiba Corp building using children's card game, then hallucinates a battle against an enemy called Mr. T, while Hassleberry is actually fighting Mr. T who is mind controlling some student friend, and Mr. T is looking for darkness in his victim's hearts, but can't get to Hassleberry because of Dino DNA so they duel, and later figures out a loophole to the darkness by looking at Hassleberry's previous life as a Tyrannosaurus Rex and finding out that the Dino DNA bone in his leg is from a dinosaur that said T-Rex had eaten.

I just love the bad guy's little quip at the end. "You literally deserve this."

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

Yuma please stop defending Flip. Yuma he cheated. He stole other duelists heart pieces. He's not even likeable. Let them kick him out of the city.

Man, you'd hate his Japanese counterpart. He sounds like the dub version of Weevil and has a loving awful verbal tic.

Since you're close to it, I'd recommend you skip episode 39. It's pretty much the worst episode in the entire Yugioh franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

AnacondaHL posted:

So I've watched the first 4 episodes of ZEXAL, and the tomato and dog episodes. I've concluded the following:
- The dub theme song is impressively worse than the 5D's theme song due solely to the singing.
- Total number of times I audibly mumbled "what in the gently caress..." or equivalent: 31.
- It really is difficult to describe how and why this show is bad, it just is. All hyperbole for this series is well deserved.
- The hero of this show are the automated cleaning robots that threw Yuma's cards then Yuma himself in the trash and make snide comments at him.

Nuff of that. Onwards to Arc-V!

Eh, if you've got time to spare, I'd say give the first few episodes of Zexal II (think it starts at 74) a shot. That's when it actually gets a plot.