Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Arc-V owns bones and if you haven't already watched all of it you should chain yourself to a computer and marathon it.

On an unrelated note, I thought I had watched most of DM, but judging from the OP I must have watched something like 30% of it. This is an interesting development.

e: can we talk about the card game here?

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I got the impression that this was meant to be a recap episode, to clarify the plot in case anyone was confused by all these dimension-hopping shenanigans. It also gave a quick rundown of what happened to the rest of the cast, thus allowing the plot to move forward without checking on something like 6 duels featuring secondary characters, even though it would be completely IC of Yuya to care about them.

Side notes: I am more and more curious of Reira's deck. Copying your opponents' cards isn't really that viable of a strategy, but I like the weird, alien feel his monsters have. I would like to hope that his monsters will get a real life release, but if his role isn't more important than what we are seeing it's unlikely to happen.

I really hope they give Mieru something to do besides drooling over Yuya and occasionally doing magic. They are doing such a good job at giving a female character some real, well, character, and it's a shame that they're banking on such a tired stereotype with her.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

There seems to be a typo in your GX writedown. It says that the Ojamas are "insanely annoying and terrible", which is a pretty weird way of spelling "cool and funny".
Seriously though, I realize you're not fond of the Greek chorus but you could at least slap a picture of them somewhere.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jan 14, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

PoshAlligator posted:

I watched the first couple of seasons of GX and actually quite liked it. It is my shame.

It gets much darker in later seasons, and I think that is what most people are objecting against.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jan 14, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

SpazmasterX posted:

Haha okay so I just watched the fortune teller duel in Arc-V. "My god! What will I do with this worthless Polymerization card? WAIT! I've had a fusion monster sitting in my extra deck for no reason this entire time!" Really made more sense in the original series when they they never mentioned the extra deck at all and just pulled fusion monsters out everywhere.

The impression I got was that Rune-Eyes Pendulum Dragon appeared because of some magic medallion bullshit, the same way his monsters became Pendulum in the very first episode. Wheter thisis a better or worse explanation is up to you.
If anyone else is watching Arc-V, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it. Personally, I think it's incredibly well made, especially considering that at the end of the day it's meant to be a particularly complex commercial for a card game.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Xoidanor posted:

I think you're forgetting about the cards literally being brought in from different dimensions being legal according to the machine as well. :v:

Now wait just a second; I thought that XYZ monsters coming from another dimension was a card game lore thing, something that is only true in the same setting where Dark Magician and Entermate Whip Viper are real entities; not something that is accepted as true in the same place where Yuya and Gongenzaka live.

...right? :tinfoil:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Neo New Sawatari's archetype is respectably powerful, although not all the cards that appeared in that episode are available as of right now, and maybe never will. It's not going to make Qliporths or Nekroz shake in their boots, but against a non-completely broken archetype it can fair pretty well.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

So the new Arc-V episode was subbed, and it was pretty neat.

The duel was rather uninteresting and Yuya's opponent an unoriginal (but well-handled) stereotype but it's not the meat of the episode: that honor goes to possessed Yuya, who went full evil by... winning without making people smile. To be fair, Dark Rebellion XYZ Dragon isn't a very funny monster.

The question remains of what exactly took control of our protagonist. Was it Yuto? That little scene when the two fused seems to imply that. But Yuto isn't quite so... vicious, I guess is the word I'm looking for.
We know, or at least it was very strongly implied, that the dragons can possess their weilders; something like this seemed to happen when Yugo showed up. Does that mean that Dark Rebellion XYZ Dragon possessed Yuya?

I don't know, man. Both hypotheses seem possible at this point.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jan 20, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

dogsicle posted:

I wish the subs still used "DDD Hell Armageddon CEO" instead of the full name.
Yeah, "Hell Armageon Overlord" sounds like something a 15 year old would come up with as the bad guy's name for his novel.

DDDs are my second favorite archetype that appeared in Arc-V, right behind Frightfurs, whose official announcement I await with bated breath.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Proof of this

Sophia no Necloth / Nekroz of Sophia
Light Spellcaster / Ritual / Effect
LV11 3600/3400
You can Ritual Summon this card with any “Nekroz” Ritual Spell Card. Must be Ritual Summoned from your hand by using 3 monsters with different Types you control, and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. (1) During either player’s Main Phase 1: You can discard both this card and 1 “Nekroz” Spell Card; during this Phase, your opponent cannot Special Summon from the Extra Deck. (2) When this card is Ritual Summoned: You can banish all other cards on the field and in both Graveyards. During the turn you activate this effect, you cannot Normal or Special Summon other monsters.

What the gently caress Konami? :suicide:

This is almost insulting. Nekroz are already one of the most broken archetypes in the game, the last thing they need is another boss monster, one that can apparenty shut down summoning for a whole turn.

These new cards were posted in the Anime Card Game thread, you might want to check them out.

quote:

Raidraptor - Blaze Falcon
Winged Beast/Xyz/Effect
3 Level 5 Winged-Beast-Type monsters
While this card has Xyz Material, it can attack your opponent directly. When this card inflicts battle damage to your opponent: You can target 1 monster your opponent controls; destroy it. Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; destroy all Special Summoned monsters your opponent controls, and if you do, inflict 500 damage to your opponent for each monster destroyed.

Raidraptor – Mimicry Lanius
DARK L4 Winged-Beast
1100/1900
You can only use the effect of “Raidraptor – Mimicry Lanius” once per turn.
(1) During a Main Phase of the turn this card was Normal Summoned or Special Summoned: You can increase the Level of all “Raidraptor” monsters you control with a Level by 1.
(2) During a Main Phase of the turn this card was sent to the Graveyard: You can banish this card from your Graveyard; add 1 “Raidraptor” card from your Deck to your hand, except “Raidraptor – Mimicry Lanius”.

Raid Raptors – Impale Lanius / Raidraptor – Impale Lanius
Dark Winged Beast / Effect
LV4 1700/1000
You can only use the effect of “Raidraptor – Impale Lanius” once per turn. (1) Once, during the Main Phase of the turn this card is Normal or Special Summoned: You can target 1 face-up Attack Position monster; change it to face-up Defense Position. (2) During your Main Phase 2, if this card attack this turn: You can taget 1 “Raidraptor” monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon it.

Rank-Up-Magic Revolution Force
Apply 1 of these effects, depending on whose turn it is.
● Your turn: Target 1 "Raidraptor" Xyz Monster you control; Xyz Summon from your Extra Deck, 1 "Raidraptor" monster that is 1 Rank higher than that monster you control, by using it as the Xyz Material. (Xyz Materials attached to it also become Xyz Materials on the Summoned monster).
● Your opponent's turn: Target 1 Xyz Monster your opponent controls that has no Xyz Materials; take control of it, then Xyz Summon, from your Extra Deck, 1 "Raidraptor" monster that is 1 Rank higher than that monster you control, by using it as the Xyz Material. (Xyz Materials attached to it also become Xyz Materials on the Summoned monster).

Raidraptor - Revolution Falcon
Winged Beast/Xyz/Effect
3 Level 6 Winged-Beast-Type monsters
You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; this turn, this card can attack all monsters your opponent controls once each. At the start of the Damage Step, if this card battles a face-up Special Summoned monster: That monster's ATK and DEF become 0. If this card has a "Raidraptor" Xyz Monster as an Xyz Material, it gains this effect.
● Once per turn: You can target 1 monster your opponent controls; destroy it, and if you do, inflict damage to your opponent equal to half of its ATK.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jan 23, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

forbidden lesbian posted:

having not played since a long time ago i can only assume this is a fusion hoser

Not only Fusion, but also Synchro and XYZ, which is much more noteworthy as they are more commonly used; lots of deck mantain certain XYZ monsters in their Extra Deck just to deal with certain situations.

Seriously people, watch a couple of YGOpro duels on Youtube and try your hand at it. The game has changed but it's still fun.

e: And really, once you've wrapped your head around the new types of summon it's not that hard.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 23, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Schubalts posted:

Wait, so if your opponent has less than 3600 lifepoints, is this just an "I win now" card?

Well, you could get rid of her with a Bottomless Trap Hole or a Torrential Tribute before her effect triggers, or something to negate her effect like Breakthrough Skill. If you don't have that though, you're going to have to take the hit.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Dexie posted:

She would still get her effect off if you chain Bottomless or Torrential. They don't negate effects. You'd want something like Breakthrough or Solemn Warning.
Yes, but she'd be out of your hair and you would not get smacked in the face for half your lifepoints. If your deck has good recovery or you've got a decent hand you could handle it.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Remember when Nico Smiley told Sora to stop his saw lion plush abomination from messing with the Solid Vision virtual reality? How come THAT sets him off and seeing duelists getting their poo poo kicked in doesn't?

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 28, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

A new dub name for Arc-V has been announced, this time for Hokuto.
https://twitter.com/Jackydan513/status/533474891010678785
I unironically love this.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

So Fusion Yuzu is apparently called Serena. I got the impression that she's not here on official Academia business, like Sora was, because the guards tried to stop her... which begs the question of just what the hell she's doing, turning Hokuto Dipper into a card like that. It could be mindless revenge against XYZ users for humiliating Sora, but she didn't seem all that fond of him, considering that she was grinning as he screamed in the infirmary. I guess we'll find out later.

In the meantime, we finally got a Reiji duel! And he actually won this one! Isn't that...

Xoidanor posted:

:lol: Did no one else notice that Reiji should have lost that game? He could have crashed the Borgpanther instead of buffing its attack above 2000 and won by attacking directly with the materials.

...great?
Man, Reiji needs to actually score some victories. He has the reputation of this unbeatable Dueling master but we've only see him play twice in 40 episodes. Plotting and scheming is nice and all, but you can't be the Kaiba of the series by watching from the sidelines forever.

He certainly has the tools he needs: the new D/D/Ds are pretty drat nice. Well, Tell not so much: he's alright, but the fact that he can only trigger his effect after damage from a Covenant is too much of a limitation. Without that he'd be pretty respectable, otherwise it would be better to use Zenmaioh or Adreus over him. D'arc is better; so much better, in fact, that I can't help but wonder if her effect can only be triggered something once per turn, and can consequently only protect you from a single Covenant or burn card; it would be a bit too much to have all effect damage turned into healing on a costant basis. Even considering this, I imagine her Fusion materials will be something more than two random DDs, because she's pretty drat powerful.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jan 29, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Shukaro posted:

Also it would be better than everyone who went to card game academy or whatever having inexplicably lovely decks.

My explanations is this: people that don't go to those academies have even worse decks, with 1500 atk level 4 normal monsters and Negate Attack at the very best. Good or even just decent cards are unspeakably rare and are hoarded by people with the money to go to duel academies.

...of course, this doesn't really make much sense consiering 5DS, but it's the best I could do.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

People say that Yuzu (the female lead) is the true main character in Arc-V, and while it is clearly a joke, she has had more agency and importance to the plot than I believed possible. Granted, her motivation boils down to "I want to be stronger for my dueling school and possibly understand what the gently caress is going", which isn't the most origina thing in the world, but it's still more than this series has ever seen. I don't usually watch anime, so I don't know if this is a common thing or not, but I am willing to bet that this rarely happens in a show aimed at boys.

Nyaa posted:

I don't really like her though, if that help.
Just out of curiosity, what is it that you don't like about her? She's not my favorite character but I kind of appreciate her.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Senerio posted:

I still find them less bullshit than almost every XYZ.

I have no idea how you managed to reach that conclusion, considering that the closest thing to bullshit in the XYZ front (or at least the one I see more often) is Silent Honor Ark, which eliminates a single Special Summoned monsters before dying an ignominous death against the second decent monster you put out there.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Joey is pretty awesome, and that rear end in a top hat that forced him to wear a dog costume because he lost at his bullshit dice game is far more evil than Marik.

You know, I was thinking about Serena from Arc-V, and I noticed that we spent a whole episode dealing with nothing but her (and Reiji's) backstory. Could it be that we're going to get TWO active, decently developped female characters.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

It felt like I was watching a season 2 GX episode all over again.

I don't know what you mean by that, but yeah, this guy's appearance out of the blue is pretty unsatisfying. Just know that this isn't a Crow scenario, and the guy isn't going to rob anyone of the spotlight.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Xoidanor posted:

Just forget that it is a physical game altogether, Devpro is just as fun and without having to shell out hundreds of dollars. Unless you really want to be a part of the WCS circlejerk the real thing just aint worth it.

I can confirm this. I have something like 5 decks in YGOPro, all of which could not be put together without importing OCG cards from the East. It has all of the advantages of playing the game for real with none of the disadvantages.

On that note, is there any appreciable difference between Devpro and YGOPro?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Zexal has a surprising amount of fans, that I suspect have been traumtized by the the first seasons and latched compulsively onto Zexal II as a way of coping.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Level Seven posted:

Some list I've seen with what to watch/skip in Zexal part 1. The thing about Zexal that bugged me the most was how big an IDIOT Yuma was. He (mostly) grows out of that by part 2 so that was a giant plus.

If one was to judge basely solely on this guide, it would seem that Zexal isn't nearly as bad as everyone seems to describe it. There are far too many episodes that are simply "okay" for it to be great, but still not the eye-searing abomination described ITT.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

It serves its purpose for the story as the Final nail in Yuyas pendulum monopoly coffin.

This is correct, but the rear end in a top hat martial artists remain absolutely terrible. Not only because they put Yuya on the ropes so fast (it's better than dragging out the duel with these unimportant guys when we have bigger fishes to fry from a plot standpoint) but because their monsters are the most boring, generic vaguely mystical warriors they could come up with.

Halil, on the other hand, was pretty nice if somewhat politically incorrect. La Jinn is an absolute blast from the past, from back when Normal Summoning an level four, high attack monster was a viable strategy; and his Lamps' schtik is at least orginal from a mechanical standpoint.
I was hoping Yuzu could beat him, thus making it her first on-screen win against a guy, but I'll settle for a tag team battle.

And is that guy who saved Yuya's bacon going to be plot relevant? Goddamnit, the cast is already overcrowded as it is!

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

ThermoPhysical posted:

Looks like the next Weekly Shonen Jump promo will be Ultimaya Tzolk'in as voted in by...pretty much everyone, really.

Attb: DARK
Type: Dragon/Synchro/Effect
Level: 0
ATK/DEF: 0/0

This card is treated as Level 12. Cannot be Synchro Summoned. Must be Special Summoned by sending 2 Level 5 or higher monsters you control that has the same Level (1 Tuner and 1 non-Tuner), and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. Once per turn, when a Spell/Trap Card(s) is Set on your side of the field: You can Special Summon 1 "Power Tool" Synchro Monster or Level 7 or 8 Dragon-Type Synchro Monster from your Extra Deck. While you control another Synchro Monster, this face-up card on the field cannot be targeted by attacks or card effects.
There are few things quite as fun as activating a Breakthrough Skill just as your opponent summons this guy.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

I caught up with Arc-V and watched the first episode of Zexal and did not like it very much.
Did you like it? Got some opinions? Thoughts? Theories?

I wonder if the guy who saved Yuya's bacon is going to become a permanent member of the cast. We already have lots people doing lots of things, why expand it even more?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

If you are really going to watch Zexal, I suggest liveblogging it to get the snark out of your system. There's always a market for that sort of thing.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

The thing about XYZ is that they are considerably easier to summon than their Synchro or Fusion counterparts. This is partially balanced by the dependance of their effect on XYZ material, but even then it's not that great of a limitation.

That being said, I don't think they are as bad as everyone seems to think they are. They don't have the greatest ATK, for starters, and of you manage to endure their effect once you can probably handle them.

You know what needs a buff? Fusion monsters. They have the most limiting summon conditions and are not nearly as strong as they should be.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 16, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Yeah, Shaddols are pretty ridiculous. That being said, them and Masked Heroes are the only fusion-based archetypes used with any regularity that I can see.
I hope that Frightfurs change this, though.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Also known as the pay '1000 lifepoints to Xyz/Synchro' monster.

Not anymore since Instant Fusion has been banned.

I have been trying to put together a decent Lovecraft deck, but I've yet to find a way to make it work.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 17, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Uh, I could have sworn that it had been banned. Guess I was mistaken.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Dexie posted:

http://ygorganization.com/buymoreraidraptors/

Red-Eyes support. We're getting new Red-Eyes support.

I thought this day would never come. :swoon:

(Also Infernoids are going to be tier 1 now, yay I guess).

This is wonderful, don't get me wrong, but I am a little confused by Black Daemon's Dragon. According to the wiki, the only level 6 Archfiend Normal Monster are (because of faulty translation) Summoned Skull and another one called Beast of Talwar.

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Card_Gallery:Beast_of_Talwar

What is the advantage of giving generic summoning materials if only two cards fit the bill?

e: oh, that and the new Red-Eyes Lighting Lord I guess.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Feb 17, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I only watched a couple of Zexal episodes, because I like Chronomaly monsters and I wanted to see them in action, and holy sanctified poo poo is Yuma's dub voice terrible. He sounds like a six years old that inhaled helium.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

The fact that Dennis uses (presumably) the same monster archetype that Yusho uses seems to suggest that Dennis is going to be have at least some measure of plot importance; and characters with some plot importance usually use the cards that are going to be added to the main game.

With that in mind, Entermages don't seem to be that solid of an archetype. Protection against burn damage is all well and good against a burn deck, but it's not likely to come up enough to build your whole deck around it. Maybe they'll be a generic defensive archetype? With direct attack protection and whatnot?

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Feb 18, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Nulling all burn damage is amazing.
You can use all the self-burn effects and just not give a poo poo.

Apart from the Covenants, what else causes self burn and would benefit from these guys?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Here's a thought regarding Arc-V: how do you think they're going to translate that scene where Yugo doesn't understand that Yuto isn't referring to him but to the Fusion users?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Onmi posted:

Ha, just wait until he unlocks Dark Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan 2 and Super Saiyan 3.

Oh god, you are not joking, are you.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

But Dennis vs Yuzu was terribly quick, three turns? Bah. Just when Yuzu got a win she gets slammed back down.
And why'd they have to reverse her best moment? Divingu catchi was genuinely cool moment.

It's even more bullshit when you consider She shouldn't have lost the duel, since Trapeze Magician'a effect should have protected her.

I am curious about Dennis' role in the story. He seemed like a prettt okay guy... but that scene where he looms over Yuzu seemed to suggest otherwise. I am going to side with Yuzu's father on this one.

I am also very curious about Serena's deck: we only saw some sort of catgirl monster in her Academia flashback.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Strange Quark posted:

The spell card Dennis used swapped their monsters with the effect of the monster he traded over negated, so unless you're saying someone goofed in the subtitles, not really.

I had missed that, actually! That makes that card much better.

My money is on Serena winning the duel. Having her lose her debut duel after waiting so long to see her on action would be a blow to her credibility as a threat much worse than dropping Dennis' win-to-defeat ratio from 100% to 66%.

And it would be absolutely wonderful to Yuzu stepping up defend him from being carded, but I fear it's not going to happen, it would pretty much invalidate his victory over Yuzu. The likely thing is that Serena is going to leave, possibly without carding Dennis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Holy poo poo I have just found out about the new Frightfurs and Fluffals. They are just as good as I was hoping they would be, which is to say pretty good but not meta-busting good.

http://ygorganization.com/ocg-fluffal-vs-raidraptor-video-info/

oh and there are also the xyz bird jerk monsters i guess

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Feb 28, 2015