Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

KittyEmpress posted:

Seriously, it's basically as much of a loss as Joey and Marik should have been a win. Last minute before Reiji/Joey declares his final move that wins him the game, with no possible way for Yuya/Marik to come back, he quits/passes out, and thus loses by default.

He could have spent a minute longer dueling and gotten to the problem that everyone was panicking about then, and would have won.

It was at least better than Joey v Marik because Reiji was basically playing for nothing since he made his own pendulum cards and at the end of the duel he was portrayed as the victor and a badass even though he technically didn't win, while in the former case Marik still gets treated as a better duelist than Joey and a near insurmountable challenge for the Pharaoh even though he by all accounts lost his last duel.

It's still a stupid plot point though. The protagonists losing every once in a while is a good thing, they don't need to get let off by technicalities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Newest Arc V is out and the new kid is already incredibly suspicious his performapal-esque monster and similarity to Yusho can't be a coincidence so it looks like they might finally be progressing that plot line as well. Arc V's got so much stuff going on right now that I hope they manage to handle all these plot points well, they've still got Yuri and Yugo waiting in the wings to turn up at any moment as well. Also, Dennis's deck better be localised as Performagicians, it fits too well.

I also liked how they did the other tag duel where Gon was taken out by Halil and Yuzu almost defeated by Olga since it means that they still could have theoretically defeated their original opponents before it become a tag match. And the next episode is going to be great because Sora is back and so are his crazy faces. :allears:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

The cheesiest win in old-school YuGiOh. They pulled that off something like 3 or 4 major duels in the last two season of Duel Monsters. I'm really not seeing how Sora gets anywhere fighting Shun again. It has pretty much been cemented that he's the super skilled rival that isn't going to lose until the main character beats him in a life-changing duel. :black101:

Also, with the new OP and ED, I have a sneaking suspicion that Yuto isn't actually gone, he just got slammed back to his dimension. Don't know how he'll survive without Dark Rebellion, though. :v:

Yuto is apparently just hanging out inside Yuya for now. If his vision before he got possessed is any evidence

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rent-a-Bot posted:

Just dropping in to say gogenzaka's duel with ankokuji owned, sawatari vs yuya owned, and shun vs sora did not own but I like raid raptors and carpet bombing children in a card game so it was still good. Go watch arc v it owns.

But Shun vs Sora had crazy faces. So that was pretty rad. And Masumi vs Yuzu also owned. The first round of the tournament is fantastic and probably Arc V's best point so far, epsicially if you include the episodes immediately following round 1.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

So what i'm getting from this is that i should watch Zexal. Super Saiyan's talking Dog's and Tomatoes. Sounds like a good time.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's not a Yu-Gi-Oh! series without a cast of useless characters.

That said, Yugi's group all have serious importance and cool moments in the manga before card games take over the plot, so that's something to keep in mind. Following series...don't get that excuse. At least Arc-V is very clearly trying to not fall into this, with even the children trio being duelists themselves of some skill. Tatsuya hasn't had a duel yet, but they're very clearly setting up for him to take on Reira next, and considering how much build up there is to that I doubt it'll get skipped like Futoshi vs Reira was.

Talking about that, you know who I really want to see in a duel? Shuzou. He was holding back against Yuya (something that was said on-screen) and the series has hinted pretty hard that he can use Fusion and Synchro (he doesn't teach Xyz because he's never done it, but he teaches Fusion and Synchro, which means he has done both). Plus we know he's skilled from Yoko's comments (that he could easily be a tournament player if he didn't care more for teaching). It'd be cool to see him BURN! HOTBLOODED!

I really hope Shuzou gets another duel as well, maybe against Leo or something because he's cool and rad. Also, did I just imagine it or did Yoko get some foreshadowing as being a duelist as well? I swear that at the end of one of Yuya's duels (against Shuzou maybe?) she says something about how she doesn't need to step in yet. It'd be cool if she got to duel as well.

I like pretty much all of Arc V's characters and I want them all to be involved in stuff, even though that'd probably make the show too bloated and is never going to happen.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Welp. RIP, Knight Duelists you were assholes in your one appearance and I appreciate that. Also RIP Obelisk Force you are going to be sacrificial lambs to show the power of possessed Yuya. And Dennis continues to be the most suspicious person in existence, that music in his confrontation with Yuzu and his magician's evil laugh don't make him out to be an upstanding individual. Oh, and no crazy faces with Sora's return? What the gently caress.

Dennis vs Serena is the first time in a long while that I think the outcome of a duel is in so much doubt. Dennis is pretty clearly being built up to be Yuya's opponent in one of the future rounds but this is Serena's first duel and she's also been built up as a big deal, so who knows how this will go down. I guess if it doesn't get interrupted Dennis will win since if he loses he'll get carded and I doubt that's going to happen.

Also, does anyone remember if the battle royale goes to the quarter finals or the semi's? Because if it's the semi's one of Yuzu or Gongenzaka will probably get defeated soon. :(

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

For the people that have watched all 5, which lead character was the best, in your opinion?

I watched the first episode of Zexal, does that count?

Anyway, I like Yuya a lot but that might just be because i'm currently watching Arc V and it's great. It would've been Yusei but season 3 happened and he stopped being interesting and fun.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I don't think they're going for full on Yuto exists as a seperate persona ala Atem/Yubel/Astral just more his raw feelings and personality superposed over Yuya's. At least I hope not because two distinct people-one body has been done three times already

But Dennis vs Yuzu was terribly quick, three turns? Bah. Just when Yuzu got a win she gets slammed back down.
And why'd they have to reverse her best moment? Divingu catchi was genuinely cool moment.

Three turns is about the length of most one episode Arc V duels right? I think Yuya vs Isao went that long and the two tag teams last episode followed that same formula, Arc V is just rushing through the battle royale fights right now. It doesn't make me look forward to Serena vs Dennis though because it's either going to get interrupted or one of them will end up losing in just a few turns despite having both gotten a fair amount of buildup.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

There is a chance they're trying to get the audience to think Dennis is shady as all hell (and I'll guarantee you, he has some secrets like everyone in this show), but I think they're just writing him as an American playboy. This is a Japanese show after all. And they have some pretty strong stereotypes for pretty boy Hollywood types. And, I'm seconding the concern over Dennis stepping in to take on Serena. The only way this can go without completely emasculating Yuzu is either to have the duel get interrupted right as Dennis is about to lose, or to have him lose, only for Yuzu to step in and save his rear end before he gets carded.

Well, it's not like Dennis is stepping in to protect Yuzu or anything he was just Serena's target from the beginning because XYZ scum and all that. I doubt Serena gives a poo poo about Yuzu at all, she's got her priorities full with proving she's a soldier by carding dudes. It's just that neither Dennis nor Serena should be losing at this point because this is Serena's first duel and Dennis is being set up as Yuya's opponent in the next round. At least that's where I think they're going with him.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

AnacondaHL posted:

I can't believe they resolved the Yusei/Akiza relationship in the exact same way they resolved Jaden/Alexis :lol:

Running off into the desert with their cat, ghost professor, and God that lives in their brain?

Edit:

NikkolasKing posted:

Yugi was the only YGO Protagonist who expressed interest in women. Jaden, Yusei and Yuma are all too in love with Card Games to care about those things with bumps on their chests that have higher pitched voices than other people.

Yuya has blushed with hearts showing up in the background. :smug:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Xoidanor posted:

I've never actually seen it pulled off by an actual ghostricks deck. This is the only way I've ever seen it done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4wSIrcX30o (see after the 8:00 mark)

This guy has some crazy mokey mokey strats. He is rad as hell

But he is also making me want to play this dumb card game again. :(

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That was A Good Episode.

So much poo poo is happening right now. We've got Yami Yuya wrecking fools and probably going to get confronted by Gongenzaka after he murders these jobbers. Yuzu meeting her first Alternate self who at this point is reminding me of a slightly more sane Sora, "XYZ Scum" and all that. Sora probably getting annihilated by owls but not before he and Shun show some more Fluffal's and Raid Raptors respectively. And Dennis probably continuing to prove himself to be the most suspicious person in the universe, I hope his untrustworthiness just keeps escalating and never stops because it's getting pretty great. :allears:

I'm pretty interested in whatever the hell Dennis is up to. Dude doesn't just seem to know fusion but he's also clearly familiar with Serena as well since he seemed to know exactly what she was going to fuse, which is apparently not common knowledge even amongst Academia since Sora didn't recognise her. I doubt he's Yuri though because Yuya's first duel against one of his counterparts is going to be a big loving deal and if they're going to do it this tournament it'll have to be in the finals but Shun's probably got the role of final enemy this arc. Maybe Dennis is a defector from Academia or a spy or something?

Also, i'm really curious about what's going on with Yuya. Considering the symbolism of Yuya and Yuto as pendulum scales I doubt Yami Yuya is just a really angry Yuto and it doesn't just seem like a fusion of the two or anything. I'm surprised this transformation doesn't seem to have any obvious connections with their dragons after what happened to Yuto and Yugo but maybe after he summons Rebellious Supreme King Black Dragon he'll go even crazier or something.

I'm having a lot of fun with Arc V. Hopefully it can keep this up (and bring back the LDS trio and Sawatari soon).

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

paradoxGentleman posted:

My theory is that, since Performapals are the main character's archetype, they can only change their effects so much.

That very same website published some more dub names, which I can only hope are fake.

Zuzu? Really?

Sylvio makes up for it though. Also, Zuzu is apparently a German name or something and thus is likely going to be changed for the English version.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

K. Flaps posted:

Zuzu is not a German name at all, sorry.

Well, my information source of random posts on the Internet is inaccurate then.

But even with that I think keeping Yoko the same is the strangest thing out of these choices. I can understand keeping Yuya and his counterparts names in order to keep the Yu-prefix but keeping anyone else's original names doesn't seem the dub's style. Everything else seems pretty plausible though, wouldn't be surprised of its authenticity either way.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

This dub is probably going to be bad.

I am going to watch it and potentially enjoy it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

everythingWasBees posted:

on a related note yuya's deck is so boring in comparison to literally everyone else's

Performapals are cool as hell. :colbert:

They are fun circus animals. :3:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

everythingWasBees posted:

the cards are cute and good but the duels with said deck are really repetitive

I think that is mostly because he gets like 3 times as many duels as everybody else because Main Character and all.

I don't know where you're up to but if you just had Gongenzaka's first duel you are probably about to enter the worst of it. Yuya's qualifier duels are pretty bad up until his 3rd one but since then he's been getting good duels and constantly changing up his deck.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

XYZ Pendulums seem weird to me because since they have ranks not levels can they even be resummoned out of the extra deck once destroyed? Seems like fusion pendulums or synchro pendulums will be easier to use.

I do like Odd Eyes Rebellion Dragons's pendulum effect though.since it's pretty much regular old Odd Eye's effect except in overdrive.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

You're forgetting the most shocking part of that episode. One of Reiji's elite LDS mooks uses a Perfectly Ultimate Great Moth. If that is supposed to be the deck of apparently one of the best duelists in the dimension then Academia deserves to burn Standard to the ground imo.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

Hey, Weevil was national champion! :v:

His opponent was Rex and he won using Basic Insect. The nationals were a joke. :colbert:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Beef Waifu posted:

Odd-Eyes Rebellion Dragon looked pretty cool in the show and Yuya biting that dude was pretty funny. Good episode, more Yoko, Tatsuya's dueling Reira in the finals most likely, Dennis & Yuri are possibly BFFs.

Speaking of that last part, I haven't watched the subs yet, but man will Yugo get a best buddy? Yuya's got Gongenzaka, Yuto had Shun and Yuri possibly has Dennis. The Synchro dimension has been pretty out-of-focus compared to everything else and that's kind of a shame since Synchro is cool.

Also, I read a translated Interview from the Arc V writers and apparently we're nearing the end of what they consider to be the end of Part 1 (out of 3) of the story. Which is supposed to be at the show's anniversary in April. If they do actually have the next few years or so planned out that's pretty crazy. 5D's fell apart once the first major story arc concluded but if the Arc V guys actually have at least a general idea of the entire story hopefully they'll be able to keep up the quality all the way through.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Momomo posted:

Sometimes the altered changes confuse me. Take Beast eyes for instance, why don't you use Polymerization to make it? It's a fusion monster, but for whatever reason you don't have to actually do anything other than have two monsters. For that matter, why doesn't it even need Odd Eyes to make it? It makes Trump Witch's whole thing kind of useless in the context of the show.

If you just tribute summon beast-eyes you can't use his affect since he won't have a fusion material. Which is the incentive for fusing him legitimately.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Xoidanor posted:

Wait what? This wasn't a thing when I tried Beast-eyes like 2 months back in devpro.

Oh, that's just what I thought from reading the card description. I was just thinking that if he was only tribute summoned then the beast type monster used wouldn't really count as a fusion material. Might've been wrong though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Why is Yuya's hair a slightly different colour?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

In this day and age will I finally be able to make a competitive Red Eyes deck? Unlike in my youth when it sucked rear end. That's amazing.

Also Toons. What the gently caress. :psyduck:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Joey is cooler than Kaiba and Yugi so it makes sense that his archetype gets buffed before the other two's inevitably do in time for the movie.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Huh. Shun actually lost to Sora. I did not see that one coming. I guess the moral of the Shun/Sora series is don't poo poo-talk your opponents until you've actually defeated them. Shun probably had this coming after underestimating Sora in the early parts of the duel, much like Sora did to him before.

Sora's victory coupled with Yuri's introduction suddenly makes Academia a far more credible threat and even the Obelisk mooks have only been driven off by the Main character and his alt-universe counterparts. Speaking of Yuri, i'm liking him and Yugo a lot. It looks like Yuto was the only clone who ended up without much of a personality and I hope these two stick around for a while before they inevitably get absorbed by Yuya, they're pretty fun. I'm curious as to what's going to happen with Yuzu and Yugo though. By the bracelets established rules it should just teleport them to another part of the city, which means they're still probably going to be in a lot of danger unless Clear Wing ports them away as well. A lot of potentially complicated and interesting stuff is happening in this Card Game Anime. Oh yeah, and RIP Perfectly Ultimate Great Moth guy, you have confused me more than anything else in this show.

Also, I am happy that the LDS trio appeared in Reiji's vision of the group he thinks could be lancers. :)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

Plus, lol anime logic that kids 4 years older than the main cast are somehow too ingrained in their ways to be proper Lancers. Reiji really is a dick.

One of those kids uses a loving Perfectly Ultimate Great Moth deck. He is a lost cause. And I don't blame Reiji for considering everyone associated with him to be a lost cause as well.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

paradoxGentleman posted:

The idea of Kurosaki speaking with an Irish accent just flashed into my mind and I don't know how to feel about this.

Pleased. You feel pleased and excited.

I was going to be upset about him not being called Raven. But being Irish is cool and it still has a dumb bird meaning as well.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yo, Possibly Huge Arc V Spoiler's ahead but can anyone translate Japanese better than Google because this tweet was just made by the official yugioh twitter and it seems like what google translates it too is kind of a big deal that they wouldn't just announce at an expo. So maybe the translation is wrong?

I'm thinking they're just saying Jack and Crow's VA's are returning but the translation seems to imply it's the characters themselves, which is a pretty big thing to just announce.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Thank you Beef Waifu for allowing me to vicariously experience why Zexal sucks without actually having to expose myself to it. You have done a great service.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

So I haven't been able to watch the new arc v episode till now and everyone is dying. :rip:

This was another really good episode though now that The Obelisk Force is actually being threatening it feels like Yami Yuya got pretty lucky the guys he fought were complete scrubs. But even the new and improved mooks are probably not going to be around for much longer since Sawatari and Gongenzaka are going to be reinforcements and they're the best. Also, Sora v Yuya mark 2 should be a good duel but i'm guessing the duel will be interrupted before it finishes because when that duel actually happens it's important enough to be the entire focus of the episode and next week it will probably get split between that duel and the end of The Obelisk Force.

Oh, and I hope they don't just skip over Reira and Tatsuya's duel because EnterMachine's sound like they could be pretty cool, will they be robot's with Top Hat's or magician's cape's? I must know.

Apparently next week is the last episode of the season and the end of Part 1 of Arc V. It's had a pretty good first third, I think. It's not going to be able to keep this up will it. :(

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

You better have a summoning chant prepared for every extra deck summon or else i'm going to be very disappointed.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Senerio posted:

I can guarantee an appropriate chant for every extra deck summon.

There are no extra deck monsters in Battle Pack 2 :ssh:

I thought multiple packs were being used and that each person only gets like 10 cards from each pack used? Or is the same pack just being opened 7 times?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oh. Then there better be summon chants for the Egyptian Gods. Even though no-one will summon them.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Shun is a very angry anime teenager and I appreciate that. Also he carpet bombed a child after causing the kid to have a mental breakdown. Shun rocks.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Last 3 or so episodes of the arc have been really rushed. I guess they wanted to get to choosing the lancers for the one year anniversary next week but it's still a bit disappointing. Hopefully they'll slow down soon.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

VJeff posted:

This pacing is overwhelmingly, infinitely superior to Zexal and 5D's "describe every move of every duel in agonizing detail with peanut galleries chiming in every five seconds and the duel just ends with Stardust or Hope anyway", quitcher whining. :colbert:

I don't disagree. But i wanted to see more entertainment robots. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Slur posted:

Yes, he is a major character, but I don't see any point in him existing anymore. Baal posted two very clear points about him: he's there in order to psychologically manipulate the protagonists, and he has a pre-established relation with them. I then have to ask: what would Sora's loss have cost in terms of the show's stakes, and what can Sora do that other characters (Dennis and Yuri come to mind) couldn't?

Sora is an established character who has been a part of the show since pretty much it's beginning, so his reveal to be evil and slow burn to perhaps joining the good guys has a lot of weight since there has been a lot of time spent getting the audience to sympathise with and like him. And beyond what Beef Waifu has said he is also probably one of the most important characters to Yuya's character arc of "Bring smiles to everyone through dueling". Yuya managing to make Sora smile and I dunno understand that he is hurting people would be a significant step forward in his character arc, and since Yuya's the main character his development is going to be a really important part of the series and rushing it isn't going to do the show any favours.

Dennis and Yuri can't really fill that role if only because they haven't had as much screen-time and honestly aren't as sympathetic as Sora yet because sure they're all crazy bastards but Sora had his freak out at the end of the Shun duel and he seemed to sincerely like the people at You Show. Dennis and Yuri serve different roles to the story anyway, Dennis is the double agent and probably going to advance the plotline of what the hell happened to Yuya's dad, because the similarity is not a coincidence. And at this point Yuri is there mainly as an enigma we want to know more about because why would one of Yuya's clones be evil? Which i imagine will be expanded on in Part 2.

I have put too much thought into this silly card game anime.