Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm glad the coolest character is back and destroyed 4 people in a spaceboard fight and is about to beat up this nerd.

Anyway, I like that Go is dueling for the fate of a bunch of teenage coma patients but all the audience watching cares about is whether he's going to be able to recover his falling popularity. Vrains is kinda silly sometimes. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oh My God, he uses the Poison Mist. Dark Onizuka is incredible!! :swoon:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Only a man like Go Onizuka could pull of making a heel turn and a face turn in the same match. That's why he's the best sports entertainer in the business!

Also, very glad that it's my guy Go who is managing to finally get the team together by being the coolest and the best.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Valon and Joey's duel owns actually because they punch each other.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

At least once in Vrains (maybe more) characters have liked looked at monster effects before they activate and I was very impressed.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Grand Championship is bad because Joey's the best and coolest character but he's written like a big dumb rookie who doesn't know how cards work.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tae posted:

Joey wins like 90% of his games due to rng cards, it's only fair

To be fair most of the characters win 90% of the time to rng draws.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah but Joey throws another layer on top of that.

Which is ballsy.

That's why he's so powerful. He ain't got the magic powers or the rare cards so he has to trust his deck like twice as hard, and just trusting your cards in general is of course a high level yugioh skill that only the professionals can perform. So it's pretty impressive.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The first 3rd of Arc V is my favourite thing across all of Yugioh.

I didn't mind the rest of it either, though I ended up falling off around episode 100 and I think the final act wasn't received super well.

Those first few arcs though are the loving best.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yuya's arc in Synchro has a good beginning and end but there's an astounding amount of wheel spinning in the middle. My good friend Jack Atlas being used as Yuya's foil is very strong and good and cool though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

mobile suit goatse posted:

The gas chamber was renamed, because it's horrible and insensitive. Pretending the acronym of the forum means something different isn't the same.

It's really funny that you've gone from defending your right to use autism as an insult to pretending you were actually arguing about the forum acronym the whole time.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Arc V built up a very good reputation over it's first 50 episodes, which are top tier Yugioh, but it also has another 100 episodes which do not keep up that high quality to say the least.

Anyway watch SEVENS because there's only like 40 episodes so far and it's silly and fun and good. Rough and predictable duels but not really worse than what I saw of VRAINS.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm not caught up with SEVENS but I dunno, I feel like cute is sort of what its going for.

It's a cute, silly and light show that makes for easy viewing. It's definitely more of a goofy kids show but I think it lands what it's trying to do most of the time. The core 4 are all pretty cool and they bounce off each other well. They're all pretty straightforward characters but they're a likeable bunch and I like their decks and all that (though I do hope Yuga gets like a full Sevens Road archetype and not just a few cards in a sorta generic spellcaster deck that uses multiple attributes). The more extended cast are generally pretty simple yeah and their decks are often just vehicles for gags, but with the show mostly following a monster of the week format they only really need to have enough going on to carry 1 or 2 episodes and they mostly manage that and the gags usually land. Like, Ramen Ninja ain't interesting or really that good a character but him returning for a duel against Noodle Alien was a good time and I though that was a really fun episode.

It's a pretty fun show imo. And it has a great op!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dabir posted:

Crash Town owns now, but at the time it really dragged on. Literal months of them still being in cowboy town, doing nothing that mattered in any way to the overall plot. And that's in a season of almost season 1 GX-tier filler.

Season 1 GX filler is solid imo.

Anyway post Dark Signers 5Ds is much weaker than what came before but I think it's still a better back half than a lot of the other series got.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think that's fine. I like monster of the week stuff.

The first half of the first season sets up the characters via school shenaningans and then the plot hits after a couple meaningless one-off duels. It works ok.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I enjoyed how the Taiyou stuff seemed like it drew inspiration from how card games are played in the real world. Because if someone's on some stupid, terrible deck that miraculously managed to pop off then people are absolutely going to be cheering for it.

I liked the episode where they got stoned with the Mokey Mokey guy

My appreciation for GX season 1 might be because I only remember 2 episodes, one of them being the Mokey Mokey duel. The other being sandwich Tarzan.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Arc V had a whole 50 episodes that was a lot like 5Ds tbh.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Skeleton Mom posted:

sevens is the only yugioh anime that doesn't have any significant low points. it's just a consistently good time from start to finish. please consider it

I thought the start of season 2 was super boring and I fell of the show.

Dabir posted:

yeah, the second half of 5Ds

And also the first half.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Its got motorbikes, corrupt duel cops and Jack Atlas is there! A lot of similarites with 5Ds imo.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Roa and Yuga rematch was pretty sick tbh.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I like early season 4 of GX where every character gets one last focus episode but after that its got kind of a weird vibe that feels off to me. Same with late season 3 but I like Yubel more than Nightshroud.

Anyway in regards to Sevens I think it is a pretty ok show. The cast is a bunch of enjoyable goofs but they're not like super interesting themselves and although it's cool that it balances a huge cast pretty well and keeps a lot of characters around and relevant the size means none of them get like a whole lot of focus. I mentioned earlier that Roa and Yuga had a really good rematch a few episodes ago but it's kinda weakened by it being 70 eps since their last duel and the rival vibes aren't super strong. Like Roa has always been around and kinda important but not important enough for his relationship with Yuga to feel super developed so it's not as cool as it coulda been.

Duels wise I think some of the climactic duels are better than people are giving them credit for but the show relies so much on 1 episode games and even the series with the best duels often don't get to do much when they've only got 4 turns for an entire fight. So even some of the better duels feel pretty basic.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Sevens final duel only being 1 episode long was lame tbh.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Final duels should be minimum 2 episodes long. Maximum 3 episodes.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It was all it needed to be, but it coulda been more!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

If shows always only ever aimed for what they 'needed' to be then we wouldn't really have any particularly stand out shows or episodes or characters would we?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Vrains was bad

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

VRAINS actually had a bunch early on.

Proof of VRAINS incompetence

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Season 4 is the best because of the like 6 episode stretch which was just concluding character arcs for all of the side cast that weren't really all too important these days. Ending in a Crowler vs Jaden rematch where he is trying to keep all his students from graduating, not because he still hates them but because he cares about them too much.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zane is so sick.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Crowler's very cool

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Ancient Gear ftw

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I fell off early because I guess I had my fill of Rush, also because the new ace cards were like 1500 atk normal monsters which I could not abide.

Instead i've been getting my card game hit from Shadowverse, which has been extremely good.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I like that historically Yugioh changes tones and aesthetics between seasons. Would be a big shame to lose that imo.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Also tournament arcs are good. Very much enjoyed the tournament in Sevens

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

King of Solomon posted:

For what it's worth, while it's still silly, the tone in Go Rush is quite different from Sevens.

I only watched the first 3 eps and then fell off so I can believe I didn't get to what makes the show different.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Vrains is the worst Yugioh. And that’s just how it is.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It’s cool when Yugioh gets up it’s own rear end.

Maybe it’s time to catch up with Go Rush

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Now that Shadowverse is on break I do need my weekly card game hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I liked Jim. hosed up he never returned.