Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
What I wanted the most out of Arc-V when it started was stupid gimmick wrestling-like duelists and for action duels to straight up be brawls, this last episode delivered on both ends with the stupid ninja duelist (complete with overly long scarf) and a guy just punching that LDS dude in the face until (somehow) winning. :allears: The dimension stuff is fun, but the Standard Dimension is ridiculous enough that it can deliver amazing things. Hope it maintains this quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

^Nope. It's been a while since I read the very first volume, started reading from the second or third since about a week ago (just finished Pandora's duel) but IIRC Atem hasn't actually murdered anyone, there's been a few implied but then it's more implied they just get brain problems for a while.
Jou's murder tally is of two, tho. Kaiba is I think one but not from lack of trying.

e: actually yes, upon rechecking he totally did burn that guy alive with vodka. Some other dude got burned alive as well. So that's two murders for Atem, two for Jou and I guess one from Kaiba and 80 million dollars spent trying to increase those numbers.

Silento posted:

Well, we saw Sora going around doing a bunch of silly duels. There was an enka duel and some others I've forgotten. Good stuff though, would have loved to see it focused on.

Unrelated, but I think I'm gonna post some of the season 3 of 5Ds slice of life episodes I liked. I remember there being one where Jack goes to confront a gang to save a member of security, and of course ends up dueling their leader. But after their leader loses, he doesn't immediately give up and instead tries to kill Jack anyway. Then Jack beats the poo poo out of them with his bare hands. :allears: The only 5Ds character better than Jack was the announcer, and that's high praise for the announcer.

Yeah, totally, there's been a lot of good gimmicks, hell, we opened with a Fist of the Northstar cosplayer, but the Ninja is the one that really clicked for me

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 14, 2015

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

forbidden lesbian posted:

No offense but I find it hard to follow your comment, it seems like you're saying he kills people in the manga, which I already know. I'm asking if he does in the tv show season that was never translated.

You're right in what I was saying and I read your post wrong.
I have no idea what season 0 did.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Dragonatrix posted:

Just watched the first couple episodes of Arc-V and... it's very good??? I was not expecting that at all.

Yeah, 'till now it has only had two filler-ish duels, and even then i'd only consider one of them bad. By the point we are at now (ep 39) the main trio have all developed quite a bit, have a pretty good duel ratio and holy poo poo the girl in the group has had a really good win.

Going back to Gx real quick: there is one episode I say everyone should watch no matter what, all the way near the end of season 4, episode 172 starts off with Judai jumping off an exploding building, bouncing from explosion to explosion until he summons Elemental Hero Neos so it'll explode the ground and break his fall, afterwards he picks up a card from the floor and it turns out the villain of the season left it there and Judai is essentially drunk but gets on his motorcycle and drives under the influence. Meanwhile back in the volcano school a kid is using D.A.D. to chump every character that's left on the show, so the dinosaur kid goes to fight him. Back to Judai drunk driving he crashes by the docks and suddenly sees the main villain of the show so he starts dueling him and slurring out that he wants his friend back. Dinosaur Kid is winning so D.A.D. Kid makes him relive his past life: he was a dinosaur. His dinosaur leg they put on him for reasons was his in his past life. And he's fuckign loving it he loves having been a dinosaur but then gets sad because he ate dinosaurs when he was a dinosaus and the D.A.D. kid brings the souls of the herbivores he ate and they start eating him and so he falls into darkness and sorta dies. Back to drunk Judai he's freaking out that the villain is using his best friend's cards until the villains shoots rainbows at him, causing him to sober up and realize he was just drunk fighting his best friend. Then they steal a boat the end.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Well, it could be that Fusion Gongenzaka is the tall figure that went with Fusion Yuzu. That'd bring us up to 4 Yuyas, 3 Yuzus (including the unseen Ruri) and 2 Gongenzakas which seems appropriate.

A manly Gongenzaka duel would be nice but hey, we're getting Dude That Will Punch You For Card Games Vs Yuya And His Two Blood-Thirsty Dragons Trying To Take Over, so that looks promising.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Tae posted:

You got the one filler arc in the entire series, and it's bad because they go beyond what is usual in making up poo poo for their card games.

You mean the second one, followed immediately by some random pink haired dude wanting to take over Kaiba corp via card games on an amusement park.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Televisio Frankus posted:

Kaiba created an entire amusement park just to kill Yugi and his friends with high stakes, life or deathshadow realm laser tag. He is undeniably the greatest character in the franchise.

Don't forget he hired a team of people to play against them, offering a bounty Yugi's and pals' heads. The team consisted of a Hitman, a guerrilla combat expert and an U.S. general.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Child possibly murdered a dude's sister and lots of his friends and legit destroyed his city. They get to play card games in a tournament so he drops a skyscraper on the child after said child pulled off marik faces.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

See also: jamming a gun with a card, and his being more concerned about said card being damaged.

Kaiba is the best.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Xoidanor posted:

The manga owned, it's kinda disappointing in retrospect that all of it was forgotten at the start of Battle City.

I really wish Joey would just never forgive Kaiba for Death-T, just everything remains the same but every now and then Joey reminds people that Kaiba is a jerk that tried to kill them several times in a tower of shenanigans.
"The other me and I will have to work hard to defeat Kaiba this time... but that's what makes it so thrilling"
"Yeah, hope this time he doesn't hire a loving murderer and holds Tristan's nephew hostage while swinging chainsaws at us. Anyone got snacks? I ain't touching shitthey try to feed us after the whole "i was five minutes away from dying thanks to mokuba's food poison game." oh well, hope you enjoy the card game Yugi, this time I might not have a gun pointed at my head during the whole thing!"

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I'm still reading through the manga and say what you will about Pegasus but Marik's the one with the real issues

Pegasus allowed his minions to carry guns and stuff to hang people, Marik decides that's something that needs to be made for the tournament. The process to simply make that required some high-stakes corporate espionage as well since the disk was revealed days before the tournament even. What the gently caress.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

It was so strange finding out that duel didn't even happen in the manga. I had the song open in another tab ready to read the duel and everything. :ohdear:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

But also Heartland, the field in Shun's duel and the place he lived in, is where ZeXal happens and is identical to that field.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Xoidanor posted:

:lol: How is literally standing on your opponents arm to prevent him from playing a card not considered cheating? :cmon:

He was just trying to get the card, man! You trying to say that Card Game Cobra Kai are cheaters?!

Also I love that Card Game Cobra Kai are basically Duel Academia but slightly more sensible "YOU CANNOT SEE YOUR FAMILY WHILE YOU STAY IN THIS SCHOOL OR EVEN GO OUT AT ALL. ...Except for real school because we only teach you how to play card games and legally punch people. Please don't punch the kids during real recess."

Wish Isao had been more brutal, but his almost OTK with getting all the cards he can is pretty neat.

Super curious on what happened to Yuya, it could be the dragon taking over or maybe it was Yuto because that final play wasn't that violent, it was just "gently caress all this cutesy poo poo, i'm gonna play the card and be done with this bullshit." seriousness

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Well this ep was really interesting.
Since all of the YGO protags (barring, iirc, 5D's) had this multiple people in one body thing I wonder if Yuya's deal is going to be mixing all the dimension's personalities?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Same with the final duel with Jack "NOW I PLAY MY FIRST COMBO... AND JUNK GOD THAT BOOSTS JUNK WARRIOR BY LIKE 2000 POINTS SURE WOULDVE WORKED BEFORE, HUH"

I'd say 5D's has the least satisfying ending of all. As odd as the fourth season of Gx was it at least had some direction while 5D's was Yusei fixes everything by himself.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

I just started watching Arc-V because, why not? And would someone mind explaining pendulum summons in the actual game? I'm guessing it is throwing out two pendulum monsters, then you can summon anything from your hand with a level between the two pendulum monsters for free? Do the pendulums stay out, or is the effect only good for the turn? Are they really treated as spell cards? Can I dust tornado your poo poo before you get a chance to summon? (I'm also guessing action cards aren't actually a thing, right?)

I will say that I prefer the show without all these ridiculous new mechanics, but then, I stopped playing the game a decade ago.

Edit: Wow. Did they remove the old guy in a wheelchair emote?

The first ten or so episodes are dedicated to explain every single part of the Pendulum mechanics.

The game is tragically different than a decade ago.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

They justify making a cram school that teaches you how to punch someone in the face during a duel, so they're fine on my book.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

PoshAlligator posted:

Did the card game used to be simpler or is it just that I'm too old to understand how.

It used to be a game where stuff happened, now it's just having the deck that plays itself faster. The graveyard went from a graveyard to the second hand.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Nuebot posted:

This topic made me want to watch yu-gi-oh. I used to watch it ages ago but they re-ran it so many times I don't think I ever saw past the marik arc, in fact I don't think I ever saw the conclusion of it.

So instead I started reading the manga. What's the general consensus on that? Better or worse than the show?

Much tighter and better constructed. At the point you stopped watching the anime introduced a year or so of filler arc and then had a low budget for the end arc, so I suggest the manga and then if you want more DM you can watch the anime arcs.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I didn't really care for the orichalcos stuff. The whole monster dimension thing is something I'm just not into and it being generic Yoshida (hear me out: darkness in mankind, eh? eh? sure isn't lame the fifth time right???) makes it worse for me in retrospect.

The early manga is amazing and Death-T is a masterpiece. Joey is the only right character for never letting go of that.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Not really, but there's a movie coming out next year that deals with post-DM Yugi and Kaiba.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

dogsicle posted:

Arc-V continues to entertain with Barret losing his entire squad and the left side of his face to a trap card, left on the floor. The preview makes it seem like he's going to self-destruct his duel disk?

Barret is pure Call of Duty tho, I bet that borg eye under his eyepatch (he totally has borg tech on him, look at the professor and look at the cards he played) implanted those memories so he doesn't feel too bad about being a genocidal warmonger

Senerio posted:

The power of Cheating always beats whatever bullshit new mechanic. Yugi Supremacy.

To destroy a gravity ring and bring the opponent's life points to 0 thanks to a DEF increasing magic is the ultimate, greatest cheat of the whole franchise.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The only thing of importance he has done is getting his poo poo pushed in by Mokuba 3 off-screen to confirm that he uses the same multi-summon tactics that Kaiba 5 uses.

I really dig Arc-V, lots of neat characters having their own things going, though lol at how LDS are getting chumped all over the place, they aren't bad or anything, but it's nice to see them get their asses whooped.

Also on top of duel disks being used for sorta lightsaber fights we got a duel disk in the actual form of a sword.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

It happened while Yu-Gi-Oh! Abridged was becoming extremely popular.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The good side is that the Quiz duel is the worst duel in the whole series, it's all going up from there.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Joey's the most loving legit and skilled character there is, don't let the filler after Yugi vs Kaiba fool you.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Jack used his own supergods to fight off some badsupergods, Joey took a punch in the face from the loving Sun and stood there with Gierfred.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

That's still the most bullshit finish ever.

"GEARFRIED, ATTACK!"

*faints right before hologram can land the blow*

"JOEY IS DISQUALIFIED!"

Like come on, he called the attack. Do you really have to wait for the pretty special effects to finish?

You just know Kaiba was the one to make that call.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

dogsicle posted:

I hate the 5ds dub opening and wish it were easier to skip on Hulu. But yeah the GX one is great.

I like the third dub opening option they had where it was literally all about how cool Jack Atlas is.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

Ok. Just finished the Yuuya vs. Kachidoki duel. Yeah, it is kind of obvious where this is going, and it is going to be loving glorious. How many seasons is this show up for?

Most likely three years since that's what 5D's and ZeXal went on for and it gives a good 'era' worth of booster packs before introducing a new element to the card game.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

^You mean Kill la Kill Season 2 started?

Momomo posted:

Yuzu and Selena look closer than Yuya and Yugo do. Hell, before they faded from Yuya's face into Yuto's, I didn't see it either.

They're pretty decent cases of sameface, it's just that it's a children's anime so the budget means the faces aren't consistent enough even in the same characters and any person that watches anime is pretty much indoctrinated to see the ridiculous hair to distinguish characters since samefacing is a common way to save some money in character design for animation.
Arc-V does well in making most characters have widely different faces, there's nobody with a face quite like Gongenzaka or Yuzu's dad, and the kids are extremely different from one another.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Onmi posted:

That's because the dub doesn't have her theme which is awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMbQse2dOL0

Man, I forgot that 5D's was Yu-Gi-Oh! Club Mix :allears: that early soundtrack's amazing.

Jack Atlas' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibHU7K2mnVg

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Momomo posted:

If there's any real problem with Arc-V, it's this. Yuya is cool, but he hogs the spotlight for like, ever.

It's probably because i've become jaded after 5D's and ZeXal, but to me Yuya is sharing the hell out of the spotlight right now and Yuzu is getting an amazingly high amount of it so far that i'm pretty sure in these 42 episode she's gotten more focus in more meaningful way than every female character in every yugioh spinoff combined.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Onmi posted:

It's just one of those things that happens when in the end you're a toy commercial (which makes me laugh because 5Ds entire gimmick was 'poo poo we could never possibly sell to the public' in the form of Riding Duels.) I cannot find the direct links anywhere where someone on the staff went over original plans like Demacks backstory, Rua's revenge duel, and Crow's initial status as a villain. But the short of it is yeah, Konami execs go "Blackwings selling EVERYWHERE cause they're so busted! Make Crow more of a protagonist so we can sell more Blackwings!"

IIRC the Crow villain thing was Takahashi's idea when he made the design and was change early in development (Crow taking over Aki's spot was Blackfeather popularity)
The Demak stuff is fun: Japan had a huge cult controversy with some cult that made women members basically slaves and Carly's VA was a high-ranking member and people got arrested and poo poo, coincidentally around that time Demak got to show no backstory, Arcadia was removed without a trace and Yliaster was retooled from Cult to future robots club house.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Pyrotoad posted:

People give GX a lot of poo poo but Jaden (watching dub) is great. Late to the most important exam in his entire life ever? But there's an old lady who needs help pushing her car! :3: Maybe I'm just a sucker for the genuinely nice shounen hero.

Yeah, he's a nice guy overall and fights for his friends and is a hero alright. :)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Apparently it beat Kill la Kill in some popularity poll in Japan or something.

Dexie posted:

Don't forget 5D's ending right in the middle of a story arc too.

Is the Zexal dub still going?

It's ending next week, making it the first spinoff to actually have a full dub.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Pyrotoad posted:

It's not like how the third series of Digimon went all Diet Evangelion on everyone, is it? :ohdear:

Nah, it's just that Jaden becomes a bit less nice to his friends because he gets a new super best friend forever that he kinda obviously likes more than his other friends and some people think that made him a bit of a jerk.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Strange Quark posted:

So... Worth watching Zexal for?

Worth reading a summary of ZeXal, watching maybe episodes 33-35 and 63-67 and then all of ZeXal II in which points the characters all become tolerable and the plot actually gets pretty decent. ZeXal is kinda the opposite of 5D's, instead of suddenly getting to the shitter it suddenly gets fairly good and even enjoyable as time goes on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Uhh, I'll be perfectly honest. Zexal II is actually really good and very much worth watching (once it gets serious, anyways). The problem is that you have to go through Zexal, which is poo poo and definitely not worth watching.

Zexal is basically the anti-YGO. While normal YGO series get worse by the end, Zexal got a lot better, but it started so drat badly that it really didn't give any Hope to the viewer. I simply can't recommend going through how bad Zexal is only for Zexal II even if I loving loved the Barian Emperors and their arc, which is basically the only thing in Zexal I'm willing to admit I actually liked.

In fact, ArmyOfMidgets is absolutely right, even if the episodes chosen are kind of random. You might as well just watch the last few episodes, since those are actually good, then just skip to Zexal II with a synopsis of what happened in Zexal. It probably will feel weird but if you absolutely must see Zexal it's the way to go, it's not worth going through the beginning of the series, it's not even good to laugh at.

Picked those out specifically because III vs Yuma distilled Yuma's character for the first part and showed Kattobing as a sorta cool ideal to have, while also giving enough info on who the Archlights are. Honestly I'd say that's the point where ZeXal starts going up, and then the last few episodes of Tron because he's a fun as hell antagonist and does his best villain poo poo in his duel against Kaito, and the only proper Numbers fight with Yuma.

e: oh poo poo i'm a dumbass, 47-49 for the III vs Yuma duel. drat it took a longass time to get interesting. In any case if you get really into it then I guess 47 onward is where ZeXal I gets passable to watch.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 10, 2015