Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I found it hilarious that the filler in the original series was ridiculously more mature than everything else, and all of it revolved around Kaiba. (His adoptive father's dead son, a feud with a rival corporation, and an ancient wingnut who conducts a hostile takeover of Kaiba Corp. just to gently caress Kaiba over and further his own plans).

The Orichalcos Arc was always one of my guilty pleasures. There was actually a sense of danger with each of the duels, and the Pharaoh actually showed weakness and character development after getting his rear end stomped by Raphael. (Sure, it may have been a bit contrived, but it was great after seeing him basically steamroll everyone up until that point, including Dark Marik.) The Legendary Dragons were kind of lame, but it gave them a reason to bring back Pegasus for a cameo. :v: Insector Haga and Dino Ryuzaki's duels were loving throwdowns, and Haga's taunting of Yugi spawned one of the greatest YGO memes of all time.

And the Armor deck was the sweetest loving thing the writers for that show ever designed.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

forbidden lesbian posted:

No offense but I find it hard to follow your comment, it seems like you're saying he kills people in the manga, which I already know. I'm asking if he does in the tv show season that was never translated.

It is never made explicit in the season 0 show. Like, the dude who get lit on fire with the vodka doesn't actually drop his cigarette into the spilling liquor. Atem just makes him think he's lit on fire after he breaks the rules about using more than one finger. Same with the bully who gets dropped from the tower and the fighting game guy. They don't get physically injured. It is all "MIND CRUSH," and they become gibbering wrecks or go comatose which is arguably worse.

I never did watch past the first few episodes of GX. Now, I'm wondering what the hell you guys are talking about. All the female character chat is making me think that female Seto Kaiba doesn't live up to being a Seto Kaiba. That saddens me greatly.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Televisio Frankus posted:

Rewatching the original series years later is a magical thing and I can't wait to watch GX again.

Although GX doesn't have the best character ever, Johnny Steps. :swoon:

I just marathoned the Battle City finals in the background today since I was home teleworking due to weather, and jesus, I forgot how loving nuts Dark Malik was. And how heart stabby the fake out with Jounouchi's death. All he had to do was say "attack" and he would've won after getting nuked by a god. :black101:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Genocyber posted:

Kaiba vs Sigfried is just the best. Constantly one-upping each other with bullshit luck while the characters looking-on remarking at how exciting it all is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkMhyIJnJAg

this edits it a bit but it's the only one on yt.

Holy poo poo. That dubbed voice for Siegfried is loving atrocious. I haven't seen any YGO dubbed passed the first round of Battle City and now, I know I never will.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Nyaa posted:

Summon method is like a weird magic/science thing that need to be discovered with science, magic, or Heart(?).

The normal summon cards are basically made by Pegasus redrawing ancient Egyptian stone monster with his magic eye.

Jaden get his Neo sapient cards by contacting dolphin-man/ultraman alien that was also made by Pegasus.

Syncro summon's discovery somehow lead to MOMENTUM technology that is powerful enough to power/destroy the world.

Pendulum summon is still a mystery for now.

Edit : I think this is magic utilize via technology. Like a phone app that let you cast fire except in card form.

It's Shin Megami Tensei is what you're saying.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

:stare:

I want to know what Singaporean Bandit Keith sounds like, now.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Regalingualius posted:

I love how petty Kaiba was about the naming and ranking for each of the dorms of GX. :allears:

Wait. Kaiba shows up in GX? Any other cameos in the other serieseseseses?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Its not like we haven't seen kids get killed for realsies. (I can't find the clip on youtube, but Amelda's little brother getting shelled while trying to climb into a tank was pretty hardcore.)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I just started watching Arc-V because, why not? And would someone mind explaining pendulum summons in the actual game? I'm guessing it is throwing out two pendulum monsters, then you can summon anything from your hand with a level between the two pendulum monsters for free? Do the pendulums stay out, or is the effect only good for the turn? Are they really treated as spell cards? Can I dust tornado your poo poo before you get a chance to summon? (I'm also guessing action cards aren't actually a thing, right?)

I will say that I prefer the show without all these ridiculous new mechanics, but then, I stopped playing the game a decade ago. :corsair:

Edit: Wow. Did they remove the old guy in a wheelchair emote?

Edit2: thanks!

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 23, 2015

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Wait. They made a series of monsters named after high ranking corporate position? Is there a Chief Financial Officer one? :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Every main character cheats, it's just how Yu-Gi-Oh! works. Yugi can use the Millennium Puzzle to draw any card he wants at any given moment, Yusei creates the Saviour Dragon and Saviour Star Dragon cards out of nowhere every time he uses them (as they're not part of his deck, but summoned with the Crimson Dragon plot device) and his Shooting Star and Quasar Dragons are blank cards he gives shape when needed, Yuma flat out creates cards with the exact effects he needs with Shining Draw and can modify the cards he does have with Re-Contract Universe (which is only used once and might be far more limited than that considering how Yuma describes the ability), Yuya outright changes his cards to a new type of card never seen before and creates Fusion Monsters to help his main card.

Judai is an odd case in that he isn't directly cheating, the manga describes him as having extremely high draw luck, which is a bullshit talent but not technically unfair. Even when he does get supernatural powers they're used mostly out of battle, I can't think of any moment Judai uses his Supreme King powers or Jubel to cheat. On the other hand, there is no way in hell he's actually carrying all the Fusion Monsters he uses.

Yugi, Kaiba, and Jounouchi all use the mythic dragon cards to make whatever bullshit they need at the time, too. :v: I loved that, though.
"Oh no! Imperial Order sealing my Deck Destruction Virus?! Fuse Kritias with it to make a bullshit dragon that nukes your field!"
"Oh no! Black Magician Girl isn't strong enough?! Fuse her with Timeaus to make her a dragon rider with a bullshit pump ability!"

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I will say. This is pretty cool despite how cheesy it it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'm up to the cooking duel in Arc-V. (Sidenote: How many people do you think call it "Arc Vee" instead of "Arc Five"?) And the only bad part about the show so far has been the chubby kid. God, is he annoying. "Shiberu! Shiberu!" Shut the gently caress up, kid! :argh:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Up to ep 23 of Arc-V, and the quiz duel quickly became the worst one so far. That kid was so loving insufferable, like all the worst parts of Insector Haga, Rebecca, and Esper Roba all rolled into one rear end-hat know-it-all. And the worst part was having to go through three episodes of it, and he didn't even have the decency to play the actual card "Quiz!". (Yes, I used the word "worst" three times in that paragraph.) :colbert:

The tarot duel was pretty cool though. I'm glad they're showcasing basically every type of play style and summoning option leading up to the junior championships.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Oh and to people just joining us: Notice how X-sabers and Yaiba arent very well animated? Someone on the show's team must really hate x-sabers.

Is that really how X-Sabers operates in the real game? Because holy gently caress those interactions were bonkers and half that deck should be banned if it isn't already.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Endorph posted:

What did Kaiba have to do with dragons besides the fact that he really loving liked dragons

He kind of created the first Blue-Eyes White Dragon in his previous life. :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'm up to the beginning of the Maiami Championship in Arc-V. Chubby kid has slightly redeemed himself by...having a deck made up of hand-drawn dinosaurs? The gently caress? And Reiji's little brother is officially super loving creepy, and right now, I'm more interested in his deal than crazy alternate dimension shenanigans.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

mabels big day posted:

bullshit that the battle city finals aren't joey vs kaiba and yugi vs merrick, ending with yugi vs kaiba. when the gently caress are we going to see joey vs kaiba.

It happens. And it is a pretty cool duel.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Joey also beat Yugi after Battle City to get his Red-Eyes back. So he is scientifically proven to be the best duelist. :colbert:

Joey had some serious bullshit luck-skill, though. (Though, you could probably say that about all the main characters from all the YGO series.) Those dice cards popped up way too often in his favor. And the way Angel's Dice and Demon's Dice worked in the anime was broken as gently caress. (Though, I think Angel's Dice has a <=500atk restriction on it.)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

forbidden lesbian posted:

the one piece rap owns

Seconding this.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Ok. Just finished the Yuuya vs. Kachidoki duel. Yeah, it is kind of obvious where this is going, and it is going to be loving glorious. How many seasons is this show up for?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, if Arc-V is based around a separate dimension which focuses on each summoning type and the main world that everything else spokes off of, I want to see a ritual dimension come out of loving nowhere with Mieru as one of their soldiers. :v: They never mention it as an option outside of her duel.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I just like Halil. :3: I wonder who they got to be her voice actress since she actually has proper English pronounciation. Kind of random actually, considering she's suppose to be Middle Eastern, I guess.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Atem and Yugi lose two duels each (including filler). Yugi to suicidal Kaiba and Malik-controlledJounouchi. Atem to Raphael and Yugi (and I guess post-Battle City Jounouchi :shrug: ).

The most amazing example of Atem's bullshit protagonist ability was taking Kaiba's place against Noah, shuffling Kaiba's deck into his own and starting off at 100 LP. :v: Destiny-motherfucking-Draw like a champ.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Eeevil posted:

Her rematch with Masumi was built up as this big thing that was going to show her growth as a duelist, but then Masumi gets taken out in two turns in a duel where she had a massive advantage. Fortunately the rematch was still a good duel, but it's hard to feel like Yuzu has come a long way when she's having an intense duel against someone who got destroyed that badly.

From what I hear, this is fairly realistic to the actual card game. :shrug:

I hope we get a Yuzu v. Selena fight. It would seem kind of a waste if all the doppelgangers get written out without clashing with their counterparts. We kind of got that with Yuto, but he jobbed out for not being a massive dick. (Also, just like the actual card game.)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Yuya going all Action armor on us would be awesome

Bring back Valon's armor deck, please.

Fake edit: Either the knights school or Kachidoki's school should be running it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Aren't the Nekroz using dead monsters as armour?

Because if they are, then Yuya using a Nekroz of Odd-Eyes would be...just a little disturbing, wouldn't it?

:v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Onmi posted:

Also worth pointing out, though everyone already knows it, but Academia is just a really armored version of GXs Academia, with of course the uniforms being more militarized Osiris/Ra/Obelisk uniforms.

Also Shun and Yuto come from Heartland, which is the city of Zexal, so GX attacked Zexal.

And that all the Fusion Dimension mooks use Ancient Gear monsters.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

paradoxGentleman posted:

You know what needs a buff? Fusion Ritual monsters. They have the most limiting summon conditions and are not nearly as strong as they should be.

Fixed that for you. I remember back in the day, the worst feel bad in the world was top decking your Thousand Eyes card with or without the ritual. Why aren't Ritual monsters put in the extra deck? (Or have the rules changed on that?)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Kay Kessler posted:

Elemental Heroes sound like they'd be more your thing. Most of the non-anime ones only require 1 Elemental Hero and one monster of a specific element to fuse. And they get access to the really good Miracle Fusion + Parallel World Fusion combo.

Weren't there a bunch of random Cyber Dragon fusions that didn't need a Fusion card to work? At least, I remember a Cyber Chimera or something like that, that just let you sac all your machines to fuse it and it got bigger the more machines you sac'd to it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

This ep was quite good I'd say. Plenty good pacing, Gongenzaka being too Gon for his own good, Yuzu turning it around in a great way with a real blast from the past, de-fusion, Last time I saw it was GX.
Dennis is shady-as-gently caress, I'm happy that the Ryozanpaku Paradox Brothers are gone now, Yuya got over his dark dragon bloodthirst quite quickly which is a good thing, and YES GIVE ME MORE CRAZY EYES. CRAZY REVENGE EYES vs CRAZY INSANE EYES.

The cheesiest win in old-school YuGiOh. They pulled that off something like 3 or 4 major duels in the last two season of Duel Monsters. I'm really not seeing how Sora gets anywhere fighting Shun again. It has pretty much been cemented that he's the super skilled rival that isn't going to lose until the main character beats him in a life-changing duel. :black101:

Also, with the new OP and ED, I have a sneaking suspicion that Yuto isn't actually gone, he just got slammed back to his dimension. Don't know how he'll survive without Dark Rebellion, though. :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Beef Waifu posted:

I honestly like this. It's sort of silly, but it treats dueling more like a discipline and allows for cooler stuff like character development.

It is really implied that performing certain combos is an extension of the person's force of will. So, to be able to perform special summons means you have the will to control that powerful a monster, and to perform multiple types is the equivalent of someone being skilled in multiple disciplines. Ever met that person who is just great at everything? That's pretty much how Reiji is being portrayed, which is why it is treated like such an oddity when he is able to control Pendulum summoning out of no where only for his pendulum cards to destabilize and pretty much lose him the duel.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Tea was important in the manga at the early and late stuff, when card games weren't there to ruin everything. :colbert:
Tristan figured out that they had to look for Atem's harem in the past. That didn't lead to anything but it was the smartest thing ever said in the franchise.

I would love to point at Rebecca, but they have her job every duel she's in except the one against the Chinese Battle Queen from Kaiba's filler tournament. (It was a pretty neat duel. And she would've nailed Valon, too, if he wasn't playing BrokenBadass.dec)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

alcharagia posted:

Just watched the first episode of Arc-V and Yuya in 1 episode has made himself infinitely more likable than that piece of poo poo Yuma did in 50

Yeah. Yuya is a pretty sweet lead, and even given that, he's still not even close to being the most interesting character in the show.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
There is a chance they're trying to get the audience to think Dennis is shady as all hell (and I'll guarantee you, he has some secrets like everyone in this show), but I think they're just writing him as an American playboy. This is a Japanese show after all. And they have some pretty strong stereotypes for pretty boy Hollywood types. And, I'm seconding the concern over Dennis stepping in to take on Serena. The only way this can go without completely emasculating Yuzu is either to have the duel get interrupted right as Dennis is about to lose, or to have him lose, only for Yuzu to step in and save his rear end before he gets carded.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Endorph posted:

atem is a pretty cool dude

yugi is boring as gently caress though

Unless it is crazy Orechalkos-possessed ghost Yugi loving with Atem in a mirror duel. :unsmigghh:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
It sounds like the original 2 B a Master! Pokemon soundtrack. (Except, the Pokemon soundtrack was good.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCU4WY30HG4

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 26, 2015

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

NikkolasKing posted:

Sorry but this is one of the greatest songs ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFh4lm8UanI

As fabulous as Pegasus J. Crawford is, his song doesn't compare to Team Rocket's.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

paradoxGentleman posted:

oh and there are also the xyz bird jerk monsters i guess

There is a YuGiOh tournament before every Friday Night Magic as my LGS and sometimes I talk with the YGO kids around where the game is right now. Someone told me last night that Raid Raptors are apparently really loving good in the current meta. (Don't know how correct that is.) And it is funny to watch them get confused when I refer to archetypes by their Japanese name because I only know them from Arc-V. (For the records, "Death's-Toy" is far superior to "Fright Fur" but "PeformaPal" gets slightly higher marks than "EnterMate" - which sounds like a loving food supplement.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

dogsicle posted:

Yuuya getting confused for Yuuto is dumb as hell, but I think it's fair to say you'd be able to recognize somebody by their face regardless of weird-rear end hair. But it's anime, so

Weren't Yuzu and Sawatari the only people who actually saw Yuuto as Yuya? Yuzu didn't really believe they were the same person but had enough doubts with the whole disappearing/reappearing act to be confused. (He's a performer, and costumes are kind of a thing.) And Sawatari is just a self-absorbed goof who'll latch onto anything to shunt his inadequacies onto others. Everyone else (read: the LDS team) was just working off the assumption that Sawatari was telling the truth.

Really, I don't think that was handled that oddly.