Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
At least nobody from Baylor robbed a Burger King.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Neil Armbong posted:

Can't jump ship when poo poo gets real.

edit: if you got real poo poo to deal with in your life, then by all means gtfo the internet and deal with it. but don't walk away from watching football when it isn't all sunshine for baylor.

I mean, if this is as bad as it looks then either someone important loses their job and the season probably gets a lot less fun anyway, or some rear end in a top hat who let a rape happen is gonna be chilling on the sidelines every game making sure that I don't exactly feel great about going "WOO BAYLOR TOUCHDOWN SHAWN OAKMAN WITH THE SACK WHOO," and I don't really have any attachment to any other team, so...

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Spiritus Nox posted:

I mean, if this is as bad as it looks then either someone important loses their job and the season probably gets a lot less fun anyway, or some rear end in a top hat who let a rape happen is gonna be chilling on the sidelines every game making sure that I don't exactly feel great about going "WOO BAYLOR TOUCHDOWN SHAWN OAKMAN WITH THE SACK WHOO," and I don't really have any attachment to any other team, so...

While the football team was less than proactive in getting this guy the gently caress out of there, I don't think there's been much to suggest that anyone associated with the program actively attempted to obstruct justice, which puts it probably a level below what Franklin's staff possibly did at Vandy (and suffered no repurcussions).

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Spiritus Nox posted:

Just take an hour, delve into those Baylor message boards, internalize some rationalizations, and then get back here and make some excuses. It's no fun if we don't have a Sash going "Art Briles did nothing wrong."

It's a role everyone will have to play around here at some point, and I know I'll have to do it someday when it comes out that Charlie Strong was beating his assistant coaches with a sock full of pennies or something.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Frackie Robinson posted:

While the football team was less than proactive in getting this guy the gently caress out of there, I don't think there's been much to suggest that anyone associated with the program actively attempted to obstruct justice, which puts it probably a level below what Franklin's staff probably did at Vandy (and suffered no repurcussions).

Sure, but I'd feel like an rear end in a top hat if I kept right on cheering for that Vandy team too.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Frackie Robinson posted:

While the football team was less than proactive in getting this guy the gently caress out of there, I don't think there's been much to suggest that anyone associated with the program actively attempted to obstruct justice, which puts it probably a level below what Franklin's staff probably did at Vandy (and suffered no repurcussions).

Nah, he opened up the issues with why the kid was there in the first place and appears to be full of loving poo poo after getting caught making a deal with the devil to save his defense. Can't imagine Baylor will be too happy if he gets caught lying about what he knew and why he accepted the transfer in the first place.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD

PostNouveau posted:

Just take an hour, delve into those Baylor message boards, internalize some rationalizations, and then get back here and make some excuses. It's no fun if we don't have a Sash going "Art Briles did nothing wrong."

It's a role everyone will have to play around here at some point, and I know I'll have to do it someday when it comes out that Charlie Strong was beating his assistant coaches with a sock full of pennies or something.

Charlie Strong is more of a pillowcase filled with nickels kind of guy

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

PostNouveau posted:

And sometimes you even get a shiny new avatar out of the deal!

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Thoguh posted:

Nah, they're more likely to fall asleep in the drive-through than rob it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Neil Armbong posted:

Nah, he opened up the issues with why the kid was there in the first place and appears to be full of loving poo poo after getting caught making a deal with the devil to save his defense. Can't imagine Baylor will be too happy if he gets caught lying about what he knew and why he accepted the transfer in the first place.

Meh, I'm sure he can find some angle of plausible deniability. Of course no one will really buy it and it will be kind of an black eye for him, but its not like he's the first coach to take a transfer from a known piece of poo poo. He's got too much distance from the obvious scapegoat (Baylor's incompetent-rear end Title IX office) to suffer much real blowback.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Frackie Robinson posted:

Meh, I'm sure he can find some angle of plausible deniability. Of course no one will really buy it and it will be kind of an black eye for him, but its not like he's the first coach to take a transfer from a known piece of poo poo. He's got too much distance from the obvious scapegoat (Baylor's incompetent-rear end Title IX office) to suffer much real blowback.

The known piece of poo poo fell right out of line for poo poo that's a no-brainer to dump him from the team. Why he was admitted in the first place and then remained a member of the team after all of this may be too much for the baptists to handle.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Thoguh posted:

You dont know that :colbert:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Neil Armbong posted:

The known piece of poo poo fell right out of line for poo poo that's a no-brainer to dump him from the team. Why he was admitted in the first place and then remained a member of the team after all of this may be too much for the baptists to handle.

Winning is a hell of a drug

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Thoguh posted:

Raping young coed girls gives me a jones for some chicken fries.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

Sure, but I'd feel like an rear end in a top hat if I kept right on cheering for that Vandy team too.

It will get better. Speaking as somebody who Survived™ the TCU drug bust (and 4-8) season as a student, you can still be there to appreciate the sport as well as the players who weren't absolute morons.

E: but yeah if you have some personal stuff time away from the internet and time outside and/ or with friends is always the best panacea.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Spiritus Nox posted:

If I remember correctly, you're super young as far as your sports fandom goes? Maybe it's a good year to find yourself a second team or even a few second teams to root for.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Yeah, adopt a second team. And they don't even have to be lovely or underdogs! Go ahead, adopt some silly fun team like Auburn or Cal or Clemson for a season. Some team that'd be fun to watch even in a loss.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Chieves posted:

It will get better. Speaking as somebody who Survived™ the TCU drug bust (and 4-8) season as a student, you can still be there to appreciate the sport as well as the players who weren't absolute morons.

E: but yeah if you have some personal stuff time away from the internet and time outside and/ or with friends is always the best panacea.

Not to quantify rape too hard, but I would rank Rape as being More Badder than Drugs. But I appreciate the sentiment.

kayakyakr posted:

If I remember correctly, you're super young as far as your sports fandom goes? Maybe it's a good year to find yourself a second team or even a few second teams to root for.

Maybe.

At the risk of being too easy, has anyone at Oregon does anything super lovely in the last few years?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Spiritus Nox posted:

At the risk of being too easy, has anyone at Oregon does anything super lovely in the last few years?

They didn't beat Ohio State... That's pretty lovely.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Spiritus Nox posted:

Not to quantify rape too hard, but I would rank Rape as being More Badder than Drugs. But I appreciate the sentiment.

Maybe.

On the one hand, TCU was an entire drug network, not just some drugs. Rape > drugs, but drug cartel ?? rape?

And... Probably. They paid a skuzzy recruiter out of Texas to send them some top talent. Will Lyles. That was back in the Chip Kelly days.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Spiritus Nox posted:

Oregon's the easy choice because it's obviously the correct one. I think most everyone outside the Pac 12 somewhat roots for them.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

PostNouveau posted:

Oregon's the easy choice because it's obviously the correct one. I think most everyone outside the Pac 12 somewhat roots for them.

gently caress that. Go Beavers!

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
I despise the non mascot portions of Oregon but you should root for them as penance for Baylor due to the "No Means No" chant

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Spiritus Nox posted:

Not really. If you want to root for a team that hasn't done much of anything wrong off the field in the last long time, could always root for Kansas State. :unsmith:

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Frankly I suspect that Charlie Strong's whole discipline thing is in part a way for him to recruit guys with character issues and never take heat for it. The rules are always front and center, and if guys come to play for Strong they know what they're signing up for. Once they arrive he's got them locked down living on campus, watching them like a hawk, having coaches pop in to their classes and make sure they're going, etc. If he takes a guy with some issues and nothing bad happens, Strong gets all those pats on the back for being a great role model who helps young men get their lives turned around. If that same guy ends up raping somebody, Strong very publicly kicks the player off the team and he still gets pats on the back for setting a good example and showing he has values. It's kind of brilliant.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I love my dead gay team

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Strobe posted:

Not really. If you want to root for a team that hasn't done much of anything wrong off the field in the last long time, could always root for Kansas State. :unsmith:

Crossed my mind, but much as I love the snydercats this is kind of a bad time to adopt them as my team for the year - I'd gotten the impression that KSU is maybe going to be kind of bad this year and probably going to be kind of boring.

Goddamn Baylor. Ruin my appreciation of other sorts of offense, then right as I'm gearing up for a really promising and fun-looking season they get themselves into a loving firestorm over an rear end in a top hat who might not have ever started for us even if he hadn't been a loving rapist prick. :argh:

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Hell on a Baylor Scale of 1 to Carlton Dodson this is only like a 5.7

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Don't have to go back too far to find another player with a history of sexual assault that Baylor still recruited:
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/17/texas-lb-recruit-arrested-for-reported-sexual-assault/

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Thermos H Christ posted:

Frankly I suspect that Charlie Strong's whole discipline thing is in part a way for him to recruit guys with character issues and never take heat for it.

No, not really. All coaches claim to take a hard stance on discipline. They have to. He's not doing anything in the coaching playbook that hasn't been done before.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

kayakyakr posted:

Don't have to go back too far to find another player with a history of sexual assault that Baylor still recruited:
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/17/texas-lb-recruit-arrested-for-reported-sexual-assault/

LOL but probably ain't helping

Nox, you could always root for Georgia Tech. They have an unconventional offense, their coach owns, and the rep the best GIF of the past few years.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

Crossed my mind, but much as I love the snydercats this is kind of a bad time to adopt them as my team for the year - I'd gotten the impression that KSU is maybe going to be kind of bad this year and probably going to be kind of boring.

Goddamn Baylor. Ruin my appreciation of other sorts of offense, then right as I'm gearing up for a really promising and fun-looking season they get themselves into a loving firestorm over an rear end in a top hat who might not have ever started for us even if he hadn't been a loving rapist prick. :argh:

For your need to follow a team that's Run the Right Way (TM), I sentence you to 18 months of the Minnesota Golden Gophers.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Frackie Robinson posted:

For your need to follow a team that's Run the Right Way (TM), I sentence you to 18 months of the Minnesota Golden Gophers.

I'd settle for "no rapers," honestly. If this were just recruiting infractions or even paying players, I might already be over it given the clusterfuck that is the whole idea of the NCAA student-athlete.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Spiritus Nox posted:

K-State's offense is going to need some breakout stars or it'll suck, yes. But the defense should at least be worth watching this year! And known practitioner of dark magic Bill Snyder won't let any offense he runs suck for more than a season at a time.

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta
The time that Mike Leach accepted a FedEx package while buck naked

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

The gently caress is this?

EDIT: Hmm, must've changed the link.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Chieves posted:

Nox, you could always root for Georgia Tech. They have an unconventional offense, their coach owns, and the rep the best GIF of the past few years.

Warning: be prepared for the occasional baffling loss to Middle Tennessee State or whoever to balance out the games where they are going to get 400 yards rushing and there is nothing the other team can do about it.

Maybe this year they'll lose to Tulane one week before pulverizing Notre Dame! (I would be ok with this)

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'd settle for "no rapers," honestly. If this were just recruiting infractions or even paying players, I might already be over it given the clusterfuck that is the whole idea of the NCAA student-athlete.

Cougs is the only right answer

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
I say root for Utah State. No conflict of rooting interest. Awesome QB that will, inevitably, get hurt and let you down. Great defense. Their basketball fans lead one of the best cheering sections in the nation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIYaPOjk_Gw

("I believe" was started at Navy, popularized by Utah State, trademarked by San Diego State)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

*in Crocodile dundee voice* Now THAT's a college sports scandal

• Locked thread