Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

My Q-Face posted:

You realize that James Bond Deus Ex Machina technology stuff didn't start until the third movie, right? I mean, what wild technology did they use in From Russia With Love? A suit-case with a pop-out knife? A tape recorder disguised to look like a common camera? Oooh, really reaching with that Sci-Fi technology!

And since the argument is "Car phones didn't exist", showing that they pretty clearly did exist is about the most substantial argument you could come up with.

The combination of this post, your name, and your avatar has intrigued me. Are you a defender of all things Q?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

The Human Crouton posted:

The combination of this post, your name, and your avatar has intrigued me. Are you a defender of all things Q?

star trek av poster fight

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

gnarlyhotep posted:

star trek av poster fight

I concede because I know that even if my Janeway won it would be in the most boring and contrived way possible. I'd rather lose than waste time watching my victory.

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

gnarlyhotep posted:

Are there any shows or movies that aren't based on comic books now?

how it's made

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

best show on television

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
I will never be happy until star trek nerds admit that Enterprise was the best series

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
One day Jeremy Renner will be famous enough that they'll consider making a Hawkeye TV show.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

gnarlyhotep posted:

I will never be happy until star trek nerds admit that Enterprise was the best series

You will never be happy.

Edit: Cargo Ship of Prey.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

The Human Crouton posted:

You will never be happy.

that just means you aren't admitting it

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

iZombie sounds like a less good Pushing Daisies

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Ein cooler Typ posted:

sad to see so many misogynists who can't handle a strong female lead

Do you masturbate when Bones delivers an especially acerbic comeback?

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

gotham is a bad show. prequels in general are terrible because if that was the interesting part of the story thats where the story would have started. who gives a gently caress about batman pre batman the interesting thing about batman is that he dresses up like a bat and fights people. the interesting thing about gordon is that despite being a straight laced by the books cop he works with a man who dresses up like a bat and fights people

agent carter is ok so far, agents of shield is just getting good now, arrow and flash are both good

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Phoon posted:

gotham is a bad show. prequels in general are terrible because if that was the interesting part of the story thats where the story would have started. who gives a gently caress about batman pre batman the interesting thing about batman is that he dresses up like a bat and fights people. the interesting thing about gordon is that despite being a straight laced by the books cop he works with a man who dresses up like a bat and fights people

agent carter is ok so far, agents of shield is just getting good now, arrow and flash are both good

I like the young penguin, and Gordon's partner, the guy from Terriers. I think Jada Smith has been pretty good too.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

gnarlyhotep posted:

Every episode had at least one set of banging tits on screen and that makes it the best Star Trek.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

Arkanomen posted:

Every episode had at least one set of banging tits on screen and that makes it the best Star Trek.

i want to spend the rest of my life with the vulcan lady talking to me in that condescending tone

Ragtime Cthulhu
Dec 11, 2014

5er posted:

A budget, retro Black Widow for serial tv, with people talking on the phone in the car in the 1940s because the writers can't comprehend how to write for an era they weren't born in.

To be fair, have you ever seen any sci-fi/thriller movies from the '40s/'50s? That was basically the go-to explanation for their characters being able to obtain information without needing to return to their base.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Arkanomen posted:

yes, and I also liked the fact that the ship could get shot a couple times and not instantly fall to pieces like in all the other series

plus they had space marines

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

gnarlyhotep posted:

yes, and I also liked the fact that the ship could get shot a couple times and not instantly fall to pieces like in all the other series

plus they had space marines

they should have said gently caress it and made the mirror episodes an entire season.

Ragtime Cthulhu
Dec 11, 2014
Did anybody else find Janeway attractive? Not in a "Voyager's on, time to whip out my genitalia" sense, but in a cool, confident, probably brimming with secret passion way?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
She was hotter in ntsf:sd:suv::

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

pile of brown posted:

She was hotter in ntsf:sd:suv::

this but OITNB

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

Ragtime Cthulhu posted:

Did anybody else find Janeway attractive? Not in a "Voyager's on, time to whip out my genitalia" sense, but in a cool, confident, probably brimming with secret passion way?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuPduv692fY

The subtle allure of a woman in the full flower of early middle age.

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
agent carter...

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

smeggy farter

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Kilmers Elbow posted:

smeggy farter

drat. it's like they were asking for it

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online

Fonzarelli posted:

stop watching these stupid c-rate superhero shows, its straight up embarrassing

you don't have to watch everything with a superhero in it, you really aren't gonna miss anything if you don't bother with this garbage

Father_Johann
Aug 28, 2008

Kilmers Elbow posted:

smeggy farter

Piggy Sharter

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

ARE there any good TV shows? Like not "popular" but actually good TV shows.

Penny Dreadful

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Some people have entirely way too much free time to watch 6 or 7 different comic book shows, "waiting for them to get good" in addition the probably other dozen garbage TV they watch. I can barely keep up with 1 or 2 shows.

Someone unironically said that agents of shield gets better after the first 16 episodes. Let me waste 16 hours of my life waiting for this cash in to Get Good lmao

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Joss Whedon involved = probably OK, decent chance of being good.
Jed Whedon involved = "meh" at best, probably not very good. Overrides any benefit from Joss' involvement. See: Agents of Shield, Dollhouse

edit: Agents of Shield is the blandest, most Network TV friendly, mediocre crap I've seen in a long time. Only that Godawful preview for Agent Carter could rival it for banality.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 14, 2015

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Spartacus was not Meh. :colbert:

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Doc Block posted:

Joss Whedon involved = probably OK, decent chance of being good.
Jed Whedon involved = "meh" at best, probably not very good. Overrides any benefit from Joss' involvement. See: Agents of Shield, Dollhouse

edit: Agents of Shield is the blandest, most Network TV friendly, mediocre crap I've seen in a long time. Only that Godawful preview for Agent Carter could rival it for banality.

I only watched the first ep and never will again but I swear to God that poo poo had not one, not two, not three but four precious smart-alec teenager characters, holy poo poo

Ragtime Cthulhu
Dec 11, 2014
Yeah, Agents really failed to evoke any reaction from me beyond boredom. Instantly forgettable. I only watched the pilot, and I acknowledge that television shows can improve, but. drat.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Harime Nui posted:

I only watched the first ep and never will again but I swear to God that poo poo had not one, not two, not three but four precious smart-alec teenager characters, holy poo poo

what are you talking about there's maybe one smart alec type and she isnt a teenager none of them are teenagers

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Wasn't there like a Scottish kid and a whole team of lab people and they were all like Gradated-MIT-at-15 genius teens? And they basically talked in cutesy-bootsy Whedonesque quips 100% of the time?

Ragtime Cthulhu
Dec 11, 2014
Yeah, of course they were super-geniuses (we can't have any average people as protagonists, that would be absurd), but I think they were in their twenties. Though they are easy to confuse with the Buffy crew, of course.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
The good Whedon shows (Angel, Firefly) didn't constantly have jokes going though. Both in Avengers and that Agents show it was like literally everything was "witty one-liner, witty one-liner, question? Badass one-liner." It was like a college humor parody of Whedonesque writing or something.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

theres two scientists, the standard agents are 20 somethings and the superiors are older

everyone talks in whedon quips cause it's a whedony show

it gets goodish late in season 1 and is ok now, still not amazing, mid season finale of S2 set up some bigger scale superhuman stuff but who knows if they will run with it or just spend the rest of the season doing boring introspective stuff

E: i mean it's sort of the point of the show that they are amongst the best in the world at stuff

Ragtime Cthulhu
Dec 11, 2014

Harime Nui posted:

The good Whedon shows (Angel, Firefly) didn't constantly have jokes going though. Both in Avengers and that Agents show it was like literally everything was "witty one-liner, witty one-liner, question? Badass one-liner." It was like a college humor parody of Whedonesque writing or something.

Natural dialogue with relatable characters is so last-decade. We just need super-geniuses quipping like stand-up comics. The notion that any work of fiction whose stakes do not involve the fate of the world - nay, the galaxy - could hold my attention is pure folly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Television's real bad

• Locked thread