Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Evil Eagle posted:

Tales of the abyss also has the worst song in a game, the mushroom road bgm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dpDV8ioiMI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

Skeezy posted:

abyss 3ds don't play the stupid ps2 one

dont play any verson of it ! throw it in the trash can!

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Swelter Discharge posted:

dont play any verson of it ! throw it in the trash can!

no don't

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
who the gently caress greenlit this

also i lost my tales 3ds before i got to play it much :(

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i just remembered: tales of the world radiant mythology is Good

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

xillia features a scantily clad babe goddess that has a male name and acts very assertive and starts off the game akin to the ff7 first introduction of sephiroth where she is massively more powerful and has cool arcane magics. I played it for ~9 hours but then i didn't play it any more. I recommend this for fans of the following: muscle girl, nerd gets a strong female yandere interest, fem-dom, cucking, post-colonial theory, queer theory, mild yiff implication, animism and/or implied animism, ARTS genre conventions, ironically good voice acting, embodiment of a healer/doctor figure, mildyl witty dialog.

thanks gamers....

good luck...

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

xillia features a scantily clad babe goddess that has a male name and acts very assertive and starts off the game akin to the ff7 first introduction of sephiroth where she is massively more powerful and has cool arcane magics. I played it for ~9 hours but then i didn't play it any more. I recommend this for fans of the following: muscle girl, nerd gets a strong female yandere interest, fem-dom, cucking, post-colonial theory, queer theory, mild yiff implication, animism and/or implied animism, ARTS genre conventions, ironically good voice acting, embodiment of a healer/doctor figure, mildyl witty dialog.

thanks gamers....

good luck...

gently caress you

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Looks like Xillia just shot up the list, haha.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Doctor Goat posted:

who the gently caress greenlit this

sakuraba is a master craftsman

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

As soon as bonzibuddy's PS3 gets here I'm gonna give vesperia a whirl.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

net cafe scandal posted:

As soon as bonzibuddy's PS3 gets here I'm gonna give vesperia a whirl.

do u know japanese?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

thanks gamers....

good luck...

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

do u know japanese?

not a single rune, dog.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

is vesperia the one with the pipe smoking dog.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

does namco make like 3 tales's of games games a year hoel ashiT

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

net cafe scandal posted:

not a single rune, dog.

Then you need the 360 vesperia

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

mysterious loyall X posted:

is vesperia the one with the pipe smoking dog.

yea

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Then you need the 360 vesperia

ヽ( ̄д ̄;)ノ=3=3=3

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

whoops

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Unable to proceed due to thunderstorms.

Dec 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kcF7E69C6Q

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

vesperia is the Tales game with the really good combat system, all the others are optional.

mysterious loyall X posted:

tales of the abyss is allegedly good.

its not. i kind of like it anyway, but beware: its not good.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Vesperia is the best Tales game all around, but it still has problems. Graces has a good battle system but everything else is pretty trash and I didn't like how any of the characters controlled either. Tales isn't really that great of a series, to be honest.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Is there a Tales game that is only like 1/3 of the length of the average Tales game? If so then you should play that one.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

60 hour jrpgs are ftw

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

chumbler posted:

Is there a Tales game that is only like 1/3 of the length of the average Tales game? If so then you should play that one.

The only side quest I did in abyss was the one where you save Luke's mom with magic mushrooms and it was still 45 hours long.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
tales of destiny, op

Dec 26, 2012

chumbler posted:

it wouldnt be a tales game if it wasnt padded to hell and back

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i don't think Tales of the World is padded because all it is is a bunch of Tales characters following your original character around if you feel like hiring them

oh wait if you get a new class you have to start levelling it from 1, but you can hire people to pump your level up

yyeah i'm a level 1 magic knight now. kratos, arche, stahn. let's go powerlevel me.

Doctor Goat fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 14, 2015

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Evil Eagle posted:

The God Generals are the worst villains ever.

agreed, but i still think the game is Not Bad.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Kind of seems like the Tales series is a real rotten bag. I guess I'll work my way through SMT instead.

Rodnik
Dec 20, 2003
Vesperia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpW6ZvIazFk

Take a breast, and take a chance.

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

net cafe scandal posted:

Kind of seems like the Tales series is a real rotten bag. I guess I'll work my way through SMT instead.

good choice friend, its a much better series in this veteran gamer's opine.... the demons/personae are really pretty great in terms of their varied depictions. its also cool if you like the occult, which i assume you would because of your dark allure.

some cool things about SMT are all the modern games are good, the persona games are a little bit lax for my taste but the cast of characters is generally ok and the feeling of adhering to a rigorous high school schedule is a unique sort of gaming imperative. theres lots of dicks butts boobs and vague yonic structures in many of the designs also

the SMT games are more like really dark pokemon games but instead of breeding them and poo poo you fuse them together permanently to make new things and usually you kill like god, or a golem made of your many fathers, or things like that.

the DS ones are real chillax too because they are tactical rpgs and dungeon crawlers and poo poo

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Rodnik posted:

Vesperia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpW6ZvIazFk

Take a breast, and take a chance.

I don't really know what this post means but I shan't be buying any 360 exclusives.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

net cafe scandal posted:

Almost all the SMT games are good, and almost all the Tales games are not good, so youre on the right path.

Vesperia specifically is really good though, because the combat system is extremely good, its a mistake to not play it if you like action RPGs.

Rodnik
Dec 20, 2003

net cafe scandal posted:

I don't really know what this post means but I shan't be buying any 360 exclusives.

They re-released it for that triple.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Rodnik posted:

They re-released it for that triple.

In Japan only, sadly.

But yeah SMT is the way to go. The only SMT games I wouldn't immediately recommend are 1 and 2 because they're both really old and somewhat different from the modern games. If you can get past the initial hump though they both own a lot. Soul Hackers is kind of in the middle.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Duck.

Duck Tales is the game you are destined to play.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

i listened to this for as long as it took to get annoyed and looked at the clock and it was two minutes.

tales remains supreme in terms of loving over completionists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH

Doctor Goat posted:

I like how in Tales games there are always multiple people who know the entire plot but when prompted say "... it's nothing"

Man that guy in your party suuuuure does look like Satan but I mean I guess it's nothin'

I remember thinking Kratos being your dad in Symphonia was foreshadowed pretty well in the game but I might just feel like that because every other big reveal came after about a half dozen 'it's nothing's so it seems clever in comparison.

In fact I almost want to say they tried to do damage control on one of the other reveals. Yes Mithos is a very popular name in this world, let's mention this now so on the next disk when we meet someone named Mithos we might be able to convince about two people it isn't actually the bad guy with the exact same name

I liked Phantasia, but it is a much slower game due to the encounter rate and the fact that almost every magic spell freezes the battle instead of only some of them. Also the best version of it isn't released in English.

• Locked thread