Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Anime-styled Cartoons have been going on for a long time. Whether it's American-made sequels to Anime series or just shows that take from the style, it's a whole genre!

Here are some notable examples of Americanime:

Megas XLR

YOU! DIG! GIANT ROBOTS!
I! DIG! GIANT ROBOTS!
WE! DIG! GIANT ROBOTS!
CHICKS! DIG! GIANT ROBOTS!
Nice.

That's the show.

Teen Titans

The story of five younger superheroes, led by Batman's ward Robin, as they fight various threats, such as Slade Wilson, H.I.V.E. and Trigon, the demonic father of one of their own members, Raven.

The Boondocks

A more adult show than the rest on the list, an Adult Swim cartoon depicting the life of a black family as they move from the South Side to a fictional white suburb.

The story of a world at war, and the peacekeeper who has to learn how to stop it. It's an amazing story about how Avatar Aang masters Water-, Earth- and Firebending, foiling the honorable Prince Zuko, his scheming sister Princess Azula, and their dastardly father, Fire Lord Ozai, and bringing peace to the world.

The Last Airbender: The Legend of Korra

The sequel series to Avatar: The Last Airbender. After Aang dies, the story follows his successor, Avatar Korra, a bending prodigy who needs to learn the spiritual side of Bending, as she attempts to save the world from new threats, and learns the place of magic powers in the Roaring Twenties. After a rocky first season and an outright bad second season, the second half of the show is much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Avatar is my favorite anime, and if you split Korra into the first half and second half, the second half of Korra is my second favorite.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

rwby

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Did that ever get any good? I watched the first episode, but never had any interest in anything past that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

literally nothing happened for two seasons

like the things that happened across two seasons would be an okay first two episodes of an actual anime

also they gave jaune all of the focus and character development instead of actually focusing on the characters who the show is ostensibly about, because the writers are all self-inserting onto him

it kind of owns

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Megas XLR was definitely the good poo poo, it was really cool seeing a dude who just really loved beating up bad guys in a giant robot.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Megas XLR is my favorite robot thing ever.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Avatar is still the best, Korra can suck it (though it has improved to "bareable" status).

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Senerio posted:

Did that ever get any good? I watched the first episode, but never had any interest in anything past that.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh sorta?

If you divide North American anime viewers into two groups, those who have been watching subbed anime since Kenshin and those who have probably started watching at the start of the current boom where the overlap between gamers and anime viewers starts to take off its mostly the latter group who like it; and only the former if your okay with the idea of "This is what I totes would've imagined as my own anime when I was 18."

Not counting the group of gamers who might be exclusively Roosterteeth and Achievement Hunter fans who watch it because its by the same people as Red vs Blue who I only suspect exist but know it certainly colours my opinion.

The action is nice, the voice acting gets better, the music is fun, the character development and plot is competent at least and the character designs do get creative.

If you liked shonen like Bleach you'll probably like RWBY just set your expectations low; the episodes are generally fairly short so its not that much investment.

The problems stem more from the technical side of things (Poser for animation) and some animation and writing goofs; but the writing goofs aren't egregious if you've been willing to let a lack of dramatic tension slide in Bleach.

I like it, I know there's a lot of 'better' stuff out there but whatever, how I choose to waste my time is my choice.

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
Korra had infinitely more lesbians.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Rwby is my favorite just because it's basically the result of giving a 14 year old a production crew, except that 14 year old is 30 and doesn't have a high school education.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
wheres big o

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ViggyNash posted:

Avatar is still the best, Korra can suck it (though it has improved to "bareable" status).

Avatar was really good and I didnt like Korra at all.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If Korra didn't have sexy teens and steampunk absolutely no one would care about it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Senerio posted:

Not really. It has good music though.

The writers don't know anything about pacing and have introduced like 30 characters but barely have enough time to develop and characterise a team of 4, and it is slow as hell for anything to happen. But all the characters have just enough of a personality for fans to get a grasp of it and then invent the rest on their own, so they pick up new fans due to the fandom itself rather than the actual product not too dissimilar from popular doujin works. But I guess if you look at it as an animated web series rather than an anime it's kind of impressive?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

id be fine with rwby being a 14 year old's fanfic if stuff actually happened

by chapter 3 of the fanfics i wrote when i was 14, frieza was having a fight to the death with shadow the hedgehog

by episode 20 of rwby, there was a prom

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Countblanc posted:

If Korra didn't have sexy teens and steampunk absolutely no one would care about it.

At least it has Varrick. That's about all the first two seasons had going for it. Bolin is also more amusing in the third season, but everything else also improved a bit too honestly.

I haven't watched the fourth season yet. It's probably meh.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

ViggyNash posted:

At least it has Varrick. That's about all the first two seasons had going for it. Bolin is also more amusing in the third season, but everything else also improved a bit too honestly.

I haven't watched the fourth season yet. It's probably meh.

The fourth season is pretty neat. I'm rewatching it with my boyfriend right now, and I'm enjoying the villain being Literally Lady Hitler.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

korra was fun to marathon with my girlfriend but i dont think id watch it again, unlike atla

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Endorph posted:

korra was fun to marathon with my girlfriend but i dont think id watch it again, unlike atla

It's a different experience watching TV with someone excitable. I watched it by myself and was vaguely interested, but when I watch with my boyfriend it's so much fun because he gets INTO it.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Megas XLR was definitely the good poo poo, it was really cool seeing a dude who just really loved beating up bad guys in a giant robot.

he was a Gamer, and a Hero.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I need to watch Korra sometime. I watched the first two episodes when they were first previewed and then never got around to watching it on TV, but I enjoyed the small portion of the music and visuals that I saw. It seems to be divisive among goons, but goons are very negative about media so I don't expect it to be that bad.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
My favorite Megas XLR episode was the one with that midget robot that kept getting bigger by eating things and had that serious music playing in the background whenever it talked.

That was the episode that made me realize I loved Megas XLR.

Also I should really watch Korra. I watched the first season, liked it, then forgot to keep up cause I got lazy.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Silento posted:

I need to watch Korra sometime. I watched the first two episodes when they were first previewed and then never got around to watching it on TV, but I enjoyed the small portion of the music and visuals that I saw. It seems to be divisive among goons, but goons are very negative about media so I don't expect it to be that bad.

Season 1 is rocky (I liked it, but it's flawed), season 2 is kinda bad (except for the Avatar Wan two-parter), Season 3 is probably the best season, and Season 4 is solid.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Beef Waifu posted:

Megas XLR is my favorite robot thing ever.

I guess the director tweeted a bunch of poo poo in 2012 about reviving the show or working with Valve to make a Megas game, but nothing ever came out of either. RIP Coop you beautiful bastard.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
the REGIS episodes was my fav i think

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

the REGIS episodes was my fav i think

I liked that one a lot, as well as the episode where a super sentai team witnessed all the destruction that Megas caused and assumed that coop was the supervillain

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Remember when Korra was promising in the first half a dozen episodes? Recall the rest of that sorry affair. Korra has much better animated action scenes than Avatar, but man, it is duller than anything. As poorly written as bad harem light novels too. Korra is like an awful LN protagonist, except genderswapped, with about as much personality and lack of competence. Season 1's ending was like high school level fanfiction. The rest of the show was barely better conceived and planned out, sometimes worse. Yes, it ends with a believable, respectfully depicted lesbian relationship, which is pretty awesome in an American cartoon, but it doesn't excuse the rest of the series! Avatar is endlessly superior in every way, besides animation quality. Can we get Avatar: The Later Years for real next time?

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 14, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Silento posted:

If you don't spend at least as much time bitching about media on the internet as actually watching you're doing something seriously wrong

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I thought Young Justice was pretty awesome despite being DC

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Senerio posted:

The best things rwby gave the world are that scene where a wields a staff that splits into two pairs of nunchucks made out of flintlock pistols and...I dunno, beyond that it's mostly served as an inspiration for lots and lots of lesbian fanfiction

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

some of the fanart is way better than the show deserves

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

But yeah, in all seriousness the action scenes can be fun and dynamic and the character designs aren't bad (buoyed a lot by weapons that are dumb in cool, Devil May Cry/Bayonetta ways), but the writers keep trying to write a generic, fairly straight-faced high-school drama instead of a silly, over-the-top, vaguely sapphic action show like the material is begging for it to be. Probably because that would require them to either keep an irregular update schedule or actually produce more than 5 minutes of that cool action every two months of like a four month season.

Shame. I wanted to like it in a 'turn your brain off and munch some garbage' sort of way, but there's just not enough there there.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I think Powerpuff Girls should count, even if it did come out back before anime was well and truly a thing.

I was never really impressed by Avatar, and I think it's terribly overrated. I haven't seen Korra yet, but at least that one doesn't sound like it's overrated.

Endorph posted:

id be fine with rwby being a 14 year old's fanfic if stuff actually happened

by chapter 3 of the fanfics i wrote when i was 14, frieza was having a fight to the death with shadow the hedgehog

by episode 20 of rwby, there was a prom

I wrote a Command & Conquer/Pokemon crossover when I was in high school. Kane had taken over Team Rocket and Ash & Pikachu were working for the GDI. It was somewhere around 10 chapters and borrowed very heavily from the plot of Tiberium Sun.

I really wish I still had it around.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Command Ant posted:

I think Powerpuff Girls should count, even if it did come out back before anime was well and truly a thing.

Uhhhh Powerpuff Girls was all the rage back when Gundam Wing, DBZ, and Sailor Moon were the most popular cartoons on TV. Saying it was on before anime was a "thing" is silly. Besides, anime was popular in America even back to the 80s with Robotech, Star Blazers, etc. It's strongly anime-inspired too. You can tell that's what the staff was going for. It even has a Japanese anime retelling. It's that anime. Samurai Jack (by some of the same staff) goes along those lines too.

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009
Boondocks is a big favorite of mine, if only because Aaron McGruder had a lot more creative freedom for the cartoon that he didn't have in his newspaper comic strip, and he made good use of it. Of course, the flip side of that being that he had to constantly fight over his more controversial scenes about BET and Rosa Parks among others, and eventually after three seasons the show ended. At least it went out on a relatively high note, because the fourth season does not exist and anyone who says otherwise deserves a swift kick in the crotch.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Killer Queen posted:

Samurai Jack (by some of the same staff) goes along those lines too.

I love Samurai Jack so much. I've been meaning to do a real rewatch of the whole thing since I mostly watched it whenever I happened to catch an episode on tv.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Yeah, I feel kinda dumb for forgetting that stuff. If you guys do quick write-ups of Dexter's Lab, Powerpuff Girls, and Samurai Jack, I'll throw them in the OP.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
This thread should just be about how amazing samurai jack and megas xlr are imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

This thread should just be about how amazing samurai jack and megas xlr are imo

Also Big O.

• Locked thread