Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Anime-styled Cartoons have been going on for a long time. Whether it's American-made sequels to Anime series or just shows that take from the style, it's a whole genre!

Here are some notable examples of Americanime:

Megas XLR

YOU! DIG! GIANT ROBOTS!
I! DIG! GIANT ROBOTS!
WE! DIG! GIANT ROBOTS!
CHICKS! DIG! GIANT ROBOTS!
Nice.

That's the show.

Teen Titans

The story of five younger superheroes, led by Batman's ward Robin, as they fight various threats, such as Slade Wilson, H.I.V.E. and Trigon, the demonic father of one of their own members, Raven.

The Boondocks

A more adult show than the rest on the list, an Adult Swim cartoon depicting the life of a black family as they move from the South Side to a fictional white suburb.

The story of a world at war, and the peacekeeper who has to learn how to stop it. It's an amazing story about how Avatar Aang masters Water-, Earth- and Firebending, foiling the honorable Prince Zuko, his scheming sister Princess Azula, and their dastardly father, Fire Lord Ozai, and bringing peace to the world.

The Last Airbender: The Legend of Korra

The sequel series to Avatar: The Last Airbender. After Aang dies, the story follows his successor, Avatar Korra, a bending prodigy who needs to learn the spiritual side of Bending, as she attempts to save the world from new threats, and learns the place of magic powers in the Roaring Twenties. After a rocky first season and an outright bad second season, the second half of the show is much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Avatar is my favorite anime, and if you split Korra into the first half and second half, the second half of Korra is my second favorite.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Did that ever get any good? I watched the first episode, but never had any interest in anything past that.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

ViggyNash posted:

At least it has Varrick. That's about all the first two seasons had going for it. Bolin is also more amusing in the third season, but everything else also improved a bit too honestly.

I haven't watched the fourth season yet. It's probably meh.

The fourth season is pretty neat. I'm rewatching it with my boyfriend right now, and I'm enjoying the villain being Literally Lady Hitler.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Endorph posted:

korra was fun to marathon with my girlfriend but i dont think id watch it again, unlike atla

It's a different experience watching TV with someone excitable. I watched it by myself and was vaguely interested, but when I watch with my boyfriend it's so much fun because he gets INTO it.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Silento posted:

I need to watch Korra sometime. I watched the first two episodes when they were first previewed and then never got around to watching it on TV, but I enjoyed the small portion of the music and visuals that I saw. It seems to be divisive among goons, but goons are very negative about media so I don't expect it to be that bad.

Season 1 is rocky (I liked it, but it's flawed), season 2 is kinda bad (except for the Avatar Wan two-parter), Season 3 is probably the best season, and Season 4 is solid.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Yeah, I feel kinda dumb for forgetting that stuff. If you guys do quick write-ups of Dexter's Lab, Powerpuff Girls, and Samurai Jack, I'll throw them in the OP.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

DrSunshine posted:

Ah, so after the Korra thread was closed, I suppose this is where we can argue infinitely about The Legend of Korra. :v:

Man, though, Kuvira in LOK Book 4 was awesome. Her fighting style was so goddamn cool.

I also love how she's basically Satsuki Kiryuin - Americanime Version. :allears:

I love Kuvira's fighting style. It's really neat. It's reminiscent of another bending style though.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Rangpur posted:

Is that meant to be a comparison to Earth-bending? I genuinely don't know if that's the comparison you're making because the last episode of Korra I saw ended with her completely catatonic. Now everyone keeps talking about femmeHitler and gay relationships and I'm just completely lost. But it would make sense if there's a similarity to Earth-bending because metal-bending is like a specialty of that or something, I think? In conclusion, I like the pure comedy beats and action beats of Korra but the character development seems to fall flat a lot of the time, and the pacing gets kind of weird. On the other hand, I actually liked the spirit world stuff in the second season so :shrug:

It's a comparison to the Earthbending from the Movie.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So, here's a piece of comedy gold regarding the Avatar franchise's future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Monty Oum died. Tossing it in here because of the RWBY talk at the beginning.

• Locked thread