Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Plot Summary (paraphrased from Wikipedia)

Yoru no Yatterman is a sequel to 1977 anime Yatterman, made to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the larger Time Bokan series it was a part of. Long ago, the Yattermen were heroes of justice who fought against the evil Doronbo Gang, exiling them and bringing peace to the Yatter Kingdom. Several generations later, the Yattermen have become corrupt with power while everyone else has been forced to live in poverty and despair. After losing her mother to the Yattermen's selfishness, Leopard, a direct descendant of the gang's leader Doronjo, reforms the Doronbo Gang with Boyacky and Tonzura's descendents to rebel against the corrupt Yattermen.

Do I Need to Watch the Original?
I haven't seen more than a couple episodes of the '77 and '08 Yatterman series, but this show stands pretty well on its own. There were small references to the older series (characters humming the old OP, Boyacky and "high school girls") but anything essential to know has been completely explained as of the end of episode 1!

Characters

Dorothy (VA: Shizuka Itou)
A descendant of Doronjo, she is also Leopard's mother. Dies shortly after Leopard's ninth birthday.

Leopard / Doronjo (VA: Eri Kitamura)
Dorothy's daughter and descendant of the original Doronjo. After her mother's death, she takes up her ancestor's name and costume to lead the other Doronbo members against the Yattermen. Loves to read and blow bubbles.

Elephantus / Tonzura (VA: Kenta Miyake)
A descendant of the original Doronjo's henchman, Tonzura. Currently serves Dorothy and Leopard. He's only good at heavy lifting.

Voltkatze / Boyacky (VA: Hiroaki Hirata)
A descendant of the original Doronjo's henchman, Boyacky. Currently serves Dorothy and Leopard. Great with machines, terrible at sewing.

Oda (VA: Chiaki Takahashi)
Leopard's pet pig, capable of human speech.

Yattermen
The heroes of legend who defeated the Doronbo Gang long ago. Now a legion of robots created in their image defend the Yatter Kingdom.

Alouette (VA: also Shizuka Itou)
A blind girl the Doronbo Gang meet while running from the Yattermen. Her voice and presence reminds them of Dorothy, and she refers to Doronbo as "her angels." Her name is similar to Ai-chan, one of the original Yattermen.

Where can I watch this?
Funimation is streaming new episodes every Sunday at 10:30 EST
I'm not sure on the status of streaming outside the US, if anybody posts with that info I can update this section.

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel
The first episode left a strong impression on me to give the changes to the premise a shot.

I was really not expecting much since I only heard the change to Doronjo design wise, but they made it work.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Time Bokan is normally for young kids, right? Is this the same or is it more for people who grew up watching it? It seems like a cool idea but I'm not sure how much I'm gonna get out of a sequel series to a kids' show I never actually watched.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Everything you need to know is presented to you in the first episode. There are minor callbacks but they are completely independant from the main story.

vvvv
Nostalgia was what got people riled up over Leopards design, so no. Just by the first episode you can see the makings for a pretty cool series on its own. In fact is probably the best first episode out of all the shows this season.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jan 14, 2015

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I mostly mean "am I going to be wasting my time if I don't have nostalgia for this in the first place?" but I'm gonna check it out anyway.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Like Gatchaman, this is one of the more interesting shows that have been put out there.

There are 3 core themes that I can spot:

1) Immigration. Have-nots are going to migrate to wherever there are opportunities. Trying to stop this at all costs is futile and unjust. Japan is currently wrestling with the idea of immigration, and this show takes the side of opening up the country to others. Ideally, the current occupants and the immigrants would come to an understanding, but dramatically this will not go well and the show will depict the conflict from the perspective of the immigrants.

2) Ancestor guilt. Japan has been wrestling with this concept for a while, and the show solidly takes the side of relieving the guilt. It's a bit of a strawman, as Japan hasn't been facing systematic oppression and resource starvation, but it's still an issue that the show feels it needs to dramatise.

3) Pendulum nature of history. Different groups have acted as selfish oppressors, and selfless defenders of the weak at different points in time. It is impossible to simply label a group as good or evil on the basis of ancient history. The Yattermen failed this test, and have transformed into the oppressors. Leopard is just vulnerable to this failing. Therefore, her final challenge will be if she will be able to reach down the hand of friendship to her defeated enemies, make a peace that encompasses both groups, and end the cycle.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I was expecting a gag anime with lovely animation that only ultranerds would find funny, was pleasantly surprised. My only previous knowledge about Yatterman was that the main villain was a hot dominatrix or something, and I didn't feel I missed anything.

Phobophilia posted:

Like Gatchaman, this is one of the more interesting shows that have been put out there.

1) Immigration. Have-nots are going to migrate to wherever there are opportunities. Trying to stop this at all costs is futile and unjust. Japan is currently wrestling with the idea of immigration, and this show takes the side of opening up the country to others. Ideally, the current occupants and the immigrants would come to an understanding, but dramatically this will not go well and the show will depict the conflict from the perspective of the immigrants.

2) Ancestor guilt. Japan has been wrestling with this concept for a while, and the show solidly takes the side of relieving the guilt. It's a bit of a strawman, as Japan hasn't been facing systematic oppression and resource starvation, but it's still an issue that the show feels it needs to dramatise.

3) Pendulum nature of history. Different groups have acted as selfish oppressors, and selfless defenders of the weak at different points in time. It is impossible to simply label a group as good or evil on the basis of ancient history. The Yattermen failed this test, and have transformed into the oppressors. Leopard is just vulnerable to this failing. Therefore, her final challenge will be if she will be able to reach down the hand of friendship to her defeated enemies, make a peace that encompasses both groups, and end the cycle.

I refuse to read any themes in anime shows deeper than "having friends is cool!" or "with enough burning spirit, you can do anything!", but I hope that this one delivers at least on the first one.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I was reading some japanese blogs and some people were already asking who was korea and who was japan so yeah I think at least some people are seeing some correlation between the themes :v:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I was reading some japanese blogs and some people were already asking who was korea and who was japan so yeah I think at least some people are seeing some correlation between the themes :v:

We are all Korea and we are all Japan. Leopard's experiences are universal to the human condition. Everyone's ancestors have done horrific things to everyone else's ancestors, constantly trading places in a cycle of bloodshed. Yatterman Nights makes you rise up in righteous fury, and will then challenge you to rise beyond simply pushing the pendulum in the other direction, and asks if you will find a better way.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
My experience with the old Tatsunoko shows is pretty limited, though I did watch and enjoy Gatchaman Crowds and I've got a Time Bokan bluray on a shelf somewhere, but I really enjoyed the first episode. With the way everything was presented, it never felt like I was missing out on anything but not being very familiar with the original show from the 70's, they put out enough information to give a good idea of who everyone is and how they got to where they are. And it was pretty solid in terms of design and animation.

Slotting this in as a regular watch is a no-brainer.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009
I was pretty unwilling to even give this time based on the description on the anime chart but when I did I was really impressed. It's the best first episode I've seen this season.

The visual design of the show has been pretty great so far. I loved the goofball but disturbing 'apocalypse' and the visuals of grey skies, grinding poverty and a dull sea really convey a bleak atmosphere. The characters are simple but compelling and it's easy to sympathise with Leopard's sense of disillusionment and the fundamental injustice of being punished for the sins of your ancestors. It will be interesting to see how things develop from here; they certainly have my attention.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
One thing I love and I hope this show goes full on with is traditionally "villainous" skills and methods being applied by protagonists. The new Doronjo Gang is pretty much 1:1 for the original (strong guy, tech guy, lady who bosses the other two around) so I want to see wacky traps and goofy plots planned against the Yattermen and actually succeeding due to the power of protagonism.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

I think the immigration interpretation will subside once we get to see the inside of the Yatterkingdom. The website mentions forced labor.

What interests me are
1. Why do they need workers if there are robots?
2. Who are the other people that were exiled besides the Doronbo? It even looks like they are actually surrounded by the Yatterkingdom, with the wall in the back.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

New Episode is out.

First observations:

Yatterkingdom is Hokkaido, since the tunnel they took is the Seikan tunnel and the station they came across before the water is in Aomori.

The blind girl's name is Aluette. She looks strikingly like Ai, the girl Yatterman from the original series.
The guy in the ending also looks like Gan, the other original Yatterman.

My guess is that there aren't any human Yattermen anymore and the Yatterman doppelgängers will overturn them by the end of the series. I mean, they even have a Yatter robot in the ending.
The robots still recognize the Doronbo gang, implying they are based on a design from a time when they could still have returned.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
That was surprisingly goofy, but there was some really depressing imagery in that world.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The mystery deepens.

Theory: There was a falling out between the Yattermen and their descendants up to the point where even those who opposed the regime, but still descended by blood, were exiled out of the city, but at least allowed to live within the walls. The Yatterman we see on top of the Crane ship is possibly one of the ruling descendants

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

The mystery deepens.

Theory: There was a falling out between the Yattermen and their descendants up to the point where even those who opposed the regime, but still descended by blood, were exiled out of the city, but at least allowed to live within the walls. The Yatterman we see on top of the Crane ship is possibly one of the ruling descendants

The Yatterman on top of the Crane is yet another robot, just a higher class, since it deflected one of the flicked robots without much effort. It also has a robot head.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Yattermen's robotic creations overthrew them? Getting old-school Karel Čapek-style over here.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

This show is kind of like someone decided to turn Casshern Sins into a comedy.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Sakurazuka posted:

Well Casshan (the original version of Casshern Sins), Gatchaman, and this all originated from the same studio, and from the same writer too I believe. I do like the fact that the Doronbo gang have embraced their predecessors completely, gags and all.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

That bird robot operated in a way that's very similar to the dog robot that the Yattermen used in the original, complete with its creations chanting their names. It's a neat touch but like most of the references in the show, if they don't explain it outright then it's not needed to understand what's going on, so that's cool.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

The finger-flicking mech was probably the best gag this episode but I couldn't help but laugh when Elephantus slipped into kansai-ben. I don't think the show has balanced the humor and drama well, but I love them both individually. Really excited to see a potential team up with Doronbo and the Gan-chan/Ai-chan analogues.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Woah.

That's a weird image.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

On a side note if anyone is curious about the original series, Animesols still has some episodes streaming. 17 episodes of both the original and the remake from the mid 2000s. That's definitely more than enough episodes to get a feel of what it was like.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
So, I just started watching the first episode. Loving the production values, and seems an interesting concept to tackle using one of the most iconic franchises in anime.

I suppose there's something... earnest about it, even if its making the current Yattermen into villains. I know some other series might be more cynical, making the former 'villains' heroic only by proxy of going up against villainous 'heroes' who are even worse. But Leopard and the others are genuinely good natured, and it doesn't really feel like the show is ever railing against the past - its just that some things have changed between then and now.

Still, those first two minutes clearly mean something else is going on here. Bets on Dokurobe having decided it was easier to hide behind the veil of heroes, rather than employing outright villainous goons?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Astro Nut posted:

So, I just started watching the first episode. Loving the production values, and seems an interesting concept to tackle using one of the most iconic franchises in anime.

I suppose there's something... earnest about it, even if its making the current Yattermen into villains. I know some other series might be more cynical, making the former 'villains' heroic only by proxy of going up against villainous 'heroes' who are even worse. But Leopard and the others are genuinely good natured, and it doesn't really feel like the show is ever railing against the past - its just that some things have changed between then and now.

Still, those first two minutes clearly mean something else is going on here. Bets on Dokurobe having decided it was easier to hide behind the veil of heroes, rather than employing outright villainous goons?

This earnestness is why I like it too. Gives me those good Zvezda vibes.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I have a feeling Leopard is actually a descendant of both sides drawing from both the Yatterman and Doronjo blood lines.

Lurking Haro posted:

New Episode is out.

First observations:

Yatterkingdom is Hokkaido, since the tunnel they took is the Seikan tunnel and the station they came across before the water is in Aomori.

Didn't they already call it De-kkaido in the first episode?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Zettace posted:

Yup.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Zettace posted:

I have a feeling Leopard is actually a descendant of both sides drawing from both the Yatterman and Doronjo blood lines.

Apparently Dekkaido is the hometown of the Yatterman in the original series, which would make sense, given the series sensibility of parody.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

that belly button made me real uncomfortable

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Holy animation saving tricks, Batman! I mean, they were atmospheric and all, but it's a bit worrying to see them run out of budget so early.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Clarste posted:

Holy animation saving tricks, Batman! I mean, they were atmospheric and all, but it's a bit worrying to see them run out of budget so early.

Yeah... lots of obvious stills this episode.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

So, new episode. More allusions to the franchise, raised even more questions about the state of the world. Map confirms that the Yatter Kingdom is built around Hokkaido, with the capital at Wakkanai.

So uh, bets that Galina secretly knows what's up with the Yatterbots?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

This show is sometimes a bit too cutsey for its own good.

E: also the Yatterbots don't all seem to be very robotic

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 25, 2015

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Rodyle posted:

This show is sometimes a bit too cutsey for its own good.

E: also the Yatterbots don't all seem to be very robotic

As they say, you gotta keep your sense of humour.

Thinking about it, I wonder if how they behave in the capital is different from how we've seen so far. Like, people in those regions are probably hit by the whole 'crimes of your ancestors' issue, but I wouldn't be surprised if like, the people in the Metropolis lived in either a totalitarian utopia, or just blissful ignorance of what their lifestyles are fuelled by.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I love that the robots have personality and that Doronbow are using typical villain tropes as the shows heroes. Much better episode than the second, which left me incredibly depressed. This one got pretty dark at times but it had just the right amount of hope to counteract it and the humor didnt feel forced, it even had Voltkatze provide some directorial intent on why the humor is even there. Very good episode!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Astro Nut posted:

As they say, you gotta keep your sense of humour.

Thinking about it, I wonder if how they behave in the capital is different from how we've seen so far. Like, people in those regions are probably hit by the whole 'crimes of your ancestors' issue, but I wouldn't be surprised if like, the people in the Metropolis lived in either a totalitarian utopia, or just blissful ignorance of what their lifestyles are fuelled by.

I doubt our new additions to the cast are (officially) paying for the sins of their ancestors - their outfits, names, and appearance all suggest they're descendants of the original Yattermen, Gan-chan and Ai-chan. Even the guy's thing with the die is a nod to the Yattermen's die-shaped robot companion, Omotchama.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I love that the robots have personality and that Doronbow are using typical villain tropes as the shows heroes. Much better episode than the second, which left me incredibly depressed. This one got pretty dark at times but it had just the right amount of hope to counteract it and the humor didnt feel forced, it even had Voltkatze provide some directorial intent on why the humor is even there. Very good episode!

I don't see what was so depressing about the last episode, it was really impressive how much of a shout out/homage to Oshii's directing style it was, even if one part of it was ultrablatant.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

I don't see what was so depressing about the last episode, it was really impressive how much of a shout out/homage to Oshii's directing style it was, even if one part of it was ultrablatant.

Well, I dont know. I felt that the entire scenery was depressing/oppressive, I mentioned why in the seasonal thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

if you're curious: The death of the forehead flicking bot was identical to the opening of patlabor 2, down to the moody shot of it rusting in the rain afterwards.

I enjoyed that episodes pace a lot, the panning shots of what nature had survived, the interactions on the scene of the birds and insects, babbling rivers, et all were nice and a good way to break up the various moments.

It wasn't really going for a depressive mood, more something like this, thoughtful and very introspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dmlwhaEEgE

• Locked thread