Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Condiv posted:

the episode also introduced the fact that there had been a number of rebellions in the yatter kingdom

Well if you wanna' say what I just did but all like, not crazy then yeah that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

In this episode a robot crushed another robot with a flying leglock, and then it exploded.

It was very eventful.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Ernie Muppari posted:

Well if you wanna' say what I just did but all like, not crazy then yeah that.

i can't be bothered to read stuff, that would interrupt my busy posting schedule

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
this episode ruled

whispering reporter had me in tears

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It was good.

Goodbye! Adios! Sayonara!

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

They never showed that one dudes face though, mega suspicious.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Sharkopath posted:

They never showed that one dudes face though, mega suspicious.

You mean Goro's second in command? You can see it briefly - purple variant on the Yatterman mask. If you mean someone else, I'd be interested to know who you mean.

Beyond that, enjoyed this episode. Starting indicating more of the inner workings of the Yattermen, in small bits, and if I'm not crazy it looks like the episode actually featured one of the Ainu. Pretty cool to see.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Oh I guess they did show it.

Whenever he was speaking you only ever saw his legs or back or the camera was on somebody else, it was weird and I assumed intentional.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, I initially thought it too, but nope, just a lack of focus it seems.

Pretty sure Galina is like, a lost Yatterman heir or something. Maybe Goro was his replacement.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Goro and his robot dog actually seem to be Alouette's family.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Astro Nut posted:

You mean Goro's second in command? You can see it briefly - purple variant on the Yatterman mask. If you mean someone else, I'd be interested to know who you mean.

Beyond that, enjoyed this episode. Starting indicating more of the inner workings of the Yattermen, in small bits, and if I'm not crazy it looks like the episode actually featured one of the Ainu. Pretty cool to see.

RIP Ainu-man though.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Lurking Haro posted:

Goro and his robot dog actually seem to be Alouette's family.

Dude with a cane in the ED.

Goro was Al's dad, it was staring at us all this time.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Episode was good, sad about Ainu-man biting it though.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

In today's episode of Yatterman: It's loving wierd, yo.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The dude wants to gently caress the fish.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It was a bad episode.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Are you kidding that was amazing. Their evil plan was to pretend to fulfill the hunger induced delusions of a pack of morons.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Rodyle posted:

Are you kidding that was amazing. Their evil plan was to pretend to fulfill the hunger induced delusions of a pack of morons.

I liked the submarine stuff with the squid but I don't think the episode was good otherwise, honestly.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009
I wondered why this episode only had one star on the funimation page, when all the others had somewhere between 4 and 5.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

The dude wants to gently caress the fish.

Hey, if your show is based around Yosemite Sam and Elmer Fudd liberating the other Looney Toons from Bugs Bunny's fascist dictatorship, you're eventually going to have to deal with Pepe le Pew.

Personally, though, I'm just wondering what the hell Tatsunoko's execs were smoking in the Seventies (or whenever it was) that made them pitch 'The Adventures of Cap'n Fishfucker' as their big new kids' TV show.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Wait he was based on a real show?

I wanna see it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

Wait he was based on a real show?

I wanna see it.

That's what I'm guessing, given the trend so far (see also, that incontinent sumo guy). And yes, I wanna find out which one it was too.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

There was a series called Mirai Keisatsu Urashiman, based on the same folktale this episode is based on. The main character has the same name, but looks completely different and hasn't a fish fetish.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

That's what I'm guessing, given the trend so far (see also, that incontinent sumo guy). And yes, I wanna find out which one it was too.

Wait what? He was a Tatsunoko reference?

But yeah, I... was not completely sold on that episode. Seems like the general trend is currently one plot drama episode followed by an episode of helping a random citizen (who, if the above is true, is a reference to another series) as they head to the Metropolis. Also hoping the writers can maybe distance from Galina a little. I mean, maybe they're trying to make him the deuteragonist after Leopard, functionally reconciling two old foes, but he's been a continual focus for a while now, whilst other characters haven't really had the chance to have the spotlight.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yep, that sure was a quality episode all right.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Yeah this is...the first episode of the series I can call bad. The character of the week was really creepy, the whole plot tries to be funny and doesn't succeed that much, it didn't move forward the series in general and there wasn't anything dark or hard-hitting at all.

I guess there's one thing of importance in Doronjo getting a crush on Galina and Galina's newfound confidence (and the beginnings of Omotchama), but it doesn't really help.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Allarion posted:

i don't see anything unusual in this picture

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Allarion posted:

I think they made it deformed like this on purpose. Still, there were many other moments when Leopard's head was... well, there was something a little bit off about it.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

As attempts at comedy go, this week's episode was better about it than last week's. Still something of a continued focused on Galina, but this episode was more to do with the series setting in general, and its tone.

Kinda annoyed with how little the gang actually 'did' this episode, mostly just providing a distraction for Kussie.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mom's are tough.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Here he comes, here comes Speed Racer. He's a demon on wheels.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Lurking Haro posted:

Here he comes, here comes Speed Racer. He's a demon on wheels.

More like he was the demon on wheels. Biggest sad moment of the series, right there.

As per usual odd episodes are serious and continue the story, and we sure got a lot of that in this one. Goro is closer and closer to remembering who he actually is, and the gang has finally hit Yatter Metropolis! Also Alouette has fully discovered that Yatterdog is actually her dog. Great episode but...can we stop focusing on Galina? I thought this series was about Leopard/Doronjo. Then again, I guess the title should've told me who the main character would be.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

More like he was the demon on wheels. Biggest sad moment of the series, right there.

As per usual odd episodes are serious and continue the story, and we sure got a lot of that in this one. Goro is closer and closer to remembering who he actually is, and the gang has finally hit Yatter Metropolis! Also Alouette has fully discovered that Yatterdog is actually her dog. Great episode but...can we stop focusing on Galina? I thought this series was about Leopard/Doronjo. Then again, I guess the title should've told me who the main character would be.

Actually, prior to this episode, it'd be the even episodes that were more serious, and odd numbers more comedy based (though with the series size, it was really more like a couple off eggs). After all, five was the wrestling, and seven the perverted fish guy, whilst four was BANZAI and six the fate of poor Ainu man.

Getting to watching the episode now, but yeah, with Galina it seems they haven't figured out to balance his importance to the storyline with being basically the true heir to Yatterman, in spirit if not actual blood, with the basic premise of the show being that we were supposed to be following the 'villains' having to step up as the new heroes. I wonder what the writing credits look like, and if there's a split between like, the first four episodes and the later ones.

Admittedly, helps that the second half of this episode actually looks like it has a budget.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Double posting because of a new episode. First five minutes is a recap, but after that... HOO boy.

Looks like we've got some further backstory and context for the setting. I had my suspicions, but yeah Dokurobe co-opted the Yattermen for his own purposes, using the propaganda and legacy of them as the 'heroes' to hide that the bad guys had won, apparently to the point not even his own generals realise. In a way, it feels like the episode is a climax on a second act that wasn't the one we actually got though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
... Yep, I think we all called this one. poo poo, I called it before we even made a thread (spoilers for latest episode in link, obviously).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Uuuugh, I don't know how to feel about this. On the one hand, it's a pretty cool plot twist that changes the situation entirely and shows just how goddamn competent Dokurobey is, considering he won and yet made the world think the Yatterman did, and fully used that to his advantage. On the other I actually liked having the heroes as villains, and this just ruins that entirely, the villains were evil all along so that one plot thread is now entirely meaningless.

Being honest I'm more on the "this is the worst possible way to go" side, but maybe I'll warm up to it.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

Uuuugh, I don't know how to feel about this. On the one hand, it's a pretty cool plot twist that changes the situation entirely and shows just how goddamn competent Dokurobey is, considering he won and yet made the world think the Yatterman did, and fully used that to his advantage. On the other I actually liked having the heroes as villains, and this just ruins that entirely, the villains were evil all along so that one plot thread is now entirely meaningless.

Being honest I'm more on the "this is the worst possible way to go" side, but maybe I'll warm up to it.

Well, Doronjo, Boyacky and Tonzura still ended up outside the wall and I doubt they had a hand in blowing up the moon. It's also a bit of a shame that Gatchan and Al are probably the actual descendants of the original Yattermen.
For a moment I even expected dice robot to be the mastermind.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

It was always coming. The Yattermen were just too noble in the original show to make a villain turn convincing. Doronbo were the stars, but never the heroes - you could never make a compelling Tom and Jerry-style argument that the bad guys were good and the good guys bad. Revisionism requires something to draw on in the first place. This seems like the only real way you could reconcile Doronbo's charm with their villainy.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Lurking Haro posted:

Well, Doronjo, Boyacky and Tonzura still ended up outside the wall and I doubt they had a hand in blowing up the moon. It's also a bit of a shame that Gatchan and Al are probably the actual descendants of the original Yattermen.
For a moment I even expected dice robot to be the mastermind.

Perhaps Dokurobe ordered it in order to make the whole thing convincing? Ie, to the outside world, the villains were defeated at last, so they jumped onboard the Yatterman train. That, or Dokurobe was a douche and threw them out for incompetence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Astro Nut posted:

Perhaps Dokurobe ordered it in order to make the whole thing convincing? Ie, to the outside world, the villains were defeated at last, so they jumped onboard the Yatterman train. That, or Dokurobe was a douche and threw them out for incompetence.

In the original series, Dokurobei was playing Doronbo for his own ends and never planned on rewarding them for their help. Him screwing them over is no more of a surprise than Giovanni doing it to Team Rocket.

• Locked thread