Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Welcome to the Internet Critic Discussion Thread 3.0!

:frogsiren:Thread Rules: :frogsiren:

• Don't be a loving creep and pry into critics' personal lives. They are not (meaningfully) public figures. This includes MST3K-ing Twitter meltdowns.
  • If you need to discuss a specific work in-depth, take it to a separate thread. You can, of course, discuss a work a reviewer is reviewing, but let's not have 3 page hijacks on a single movie.
  • This is not the <insert current internet blowup> thread, just because an internet reviewer tweets that they're appalled by Candylandghazi doesn't mean we need to have an argument about it. If a reviewer makes a video about it, it's okay, but it still falls under rule 2.
  • NEW VERSION: No gamergate. Ever. Don't talk about someone being a gamergater. Don't talk about gamergaters. Gamergate never happened. NOTHING PRODUCTIVE EVER COMES OUT OF THIS.
  • Don't start posting about posting, it's almost as bad as breaking the first three rules and throws the thread even more catastrophically off topic. If someone is being an rear end report it or come back in a few days.

Goon favorites

Chez Apocalypse (sitewide Patreon) -- one of the networks with a lot of the talent you'll see discussed here. Among them include:

Lindsay Ellis (Loose Cannon-specific Patreon): Formerly the Nostalgia Chick, now working on a show called Loose Cannon and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff with Chez Apocalypse.

Kyle Kallgren (Oancitizen) (Patreon)-- Does in-depth reviews of what are generally called "arthouse films" (though he hates the term). He made me legitimately appreciate a movie that was a guy talking over a blue screen.

Todd in the Shadows (Patreon) -- Pop song reviews and retrospectives on one hit wonders. Also a pretty good piano player.

_____

Phelous.com hosts the reviews of... uh... Phelous (Patreon), Obscurus Lupa (Patreon), Andrew Dickman, and Team Panshy.

Allison Pregler (Obscurus Lupa) -- Now does the show movie nights which is a semi-scripted review show about mostly schlocky movies. Also covering every god forsaken episode of Baywatch (presumably due to insanity).

____

Misc (in no particular order).

Brad Jones (The Cinema Snob) (Patreon) -- Attacks more... questionable films with snark and dry wit.

Linkara (Linkara) (Patreon) -- Reviews (mostly superhero) comic books. He also has incredibly silly ongoing plots that he's making into a movie because of his Patreon.

Cinemassacre -- Home of Board James, James & Mike Play, and the Angry Video Game Nerd. (Note that we do have a AVGN/Cinemassacre thread in the Games forum, but you're welcome to discuss it here too)

The Rap Critic -- Reviews rap songs in a very in-depth manner, usually including significant cultural and political critique of the songs.

Feminist Frequency -- Literally tries to enslave and brainwash men by making harmless and thoughtful feminist critiques of various media (mostly TV, Movies, and Video Games).

Matthewmatosis -- Breaks down and reviews video games. He's not huge on the cultural commentary, but he's absolutely stellar at analyzing games on a more mechanical level.

SF Debris (Patreon) -- Reviews (mostly) Sci-Fi television episode by episode. Has a pretty good middle-ground between plot summary and plot analysis.

Red Letter Media (Patreon)-- Review movies. These guys seem mostly insulated from the "internet critic community" so they go at a bit of a different angle, especially with their knowledge of cinematography.

Ross Scott -- He mostly does Machinima (notably Freeman's Mind), but also has a stellar show called Ross' Game Dungeon which is strikingly unlike most other game review shows. He picks more obscure games and just kind of... chills and talks about them for 30 minutes. Despite the way that sounds, they're well-edited, structured, and paced to boot!

Former Video Anime Reviewer Jesu Otaku is now writing text articles at Anime News Network under his real name (Jacob Chapman).

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Feb 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Reserved in case we need it. (Doubt it)

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
looking at the patrons i find it shocking brad makes more then linkara, but no clue if people droped off of linkara due to drama durring the day but still brad deseaves it.

red letter is just gods in this department, enough to buy a lifetime of pizza rolls.

EDIT: ok even though i am not a fan, love the FF description. good job on the OP.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 14, 2015

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Cyron posted:

looking at the patrons i find it shocking brad makes more then linkara, but no clue if people droped off of linkara due to drama durring the day but still brad deseaves it.

red letter is just gods in this department, enough to buy a lifetime of pizza rolls.

EDIT: ok even though i am not a fan, love the FF description. good job on the OP.

Linkara's Patreon has been hovering around its currently level for quite a while, I don't think the recent drama has affected it at all. I think the difference is down to Brad's main show (The Cinema Snob) having a wider appeal (movies are much more accessible than comic books) and Brad having a higher overall output.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 14, 2015

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Because it got buried in the drama, here's my latest video, a book review of Vertical Run, which is both weird in a fun way and weird in an awful trigger warning way.

And since this is the first page of a new thread, quick introduction (you don't have to put me on the master list or nothing), I make videos for a channel called Pop Arena, which doesn't really have a unified theme, but I guess I review more books than most. My bread and butter is a very slow book-by-book review of 1990s YA surprisedark warhorror series Animorphs, though I do plenty of misc stuff on the side. Some notable examples included a look at Neil Gaiman's Sandman though the eyes of history, a riffing on a trilogy of goofy children's werewolf books and I'm part way through an episode-by-episode guide to The Secret World of Alex Mack. I don't really stick to any one idea.

Some other channels I'd recommend:

-Super Bunnyhop: Video game reviews and editorials.
-Errant Signal: Video game editorials that pissed so many people off he had to move comments to Reddit.
-GoingRampant An up-and-comer I think, she reviews media from a feminist perspective with a fine amount of detail. Basically, if you still feel FeministFrequency is too broad in her approach, I'd check GoingRampant out.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
Crosspost from old thread: Don't forget about RSS feeds (even though the rest of the world has). By using My Yahoo! or another feed reader, you can see the updates from all your favorite shows. Unless they're on YouTube, which stopped doing RSS.

http://chezapocalypse.com/feed/
http://atopthefourthwall.com/feed/
http://blip.tv/needsmoregay/rss
http://phelous.com/feed/
http://blip.tv/brows-held-high/rss
http://feeds.feedburner.com/SpoonyExperiment
http://blip.tv/mikejtv/rss
http://www.ashens.com/rss

Doing this eliminates the need for a portal hub site or search site to act as a collection of links. Which is why RSS is bad for business and Google is trying to make it disappear.

Mr.Radar posted:

Linkara's Patreon has been hovering around its currently level for quite a while, I don't think the recent drama has affected it at all. I think the difference is down to Brad's show having a wider appeal (movies are much more accessible than comic books) and Brad having a higher overall output.

Brad's site isn't just him; he has a whole crew of friends helping him. Linkara's just one guy. So it makes sense that more people can generate more interest.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Jsor posted:

E: As long as this doesn't get too massive, feel free to suggest more reviewers. Please write a short blurb explaining what they do because I don't always know and it's not always self-evident from their youtube/blip page.

I'd like to suggest Folding Ideas. He's not a very frequent producer, averages about one episode every two months, but he's one of the very, very few that can write a review that can make you think about a movie in new ways, or able to watch it again with a more critical eye and see film in a new light. His episode on End of Evangelion is my personal favourite, the way he deconstructs the movie is like watching open heart surgery, cutting right through the surface of the movie down to the heart of what it's trying to say.

And in that same line of thought, there's Every Frame a Painting, which isn't a review show so much as a series of lessons on how to not suck at making movies, done by a professional editor. It's fascinating to watch him rundown how masters of the craft do their magic. Best part is that he keeps his videos short, which is always a plus for me. Here's his video on Michael Bay, which I think is a pretty good way to get how he approaches his subjects.

Errant Signal is, again, a deeper look at media, this time video games, that talks about not just whether or not a game works, but what any given game is trying to say through the context of interactive stories, even when a game completely lacks a story. His video on Bioshock Infinite is basically exactly the same as a video I would make about Bioshock, if I made videos about video games.

I could probably think of more, but these are the three that pop into my head that you don't already have in the OP.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 14, 2015

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Lindsey Ellis isn't in the OP even though we have her site right at the top? Seems kinda weird. Her outputs pretty slow these days, but I thought we liked her.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Rebochan posted:

Lindsey Ellis isn't in the OP even though we have her site right at the top? Seems kinda weird. Her outputs pretty slow these days, but I thought we liked her.

Honestly, since she's not the Nostalgia Chick anymore I wasn't sure what to put for her blurb until she started her new show. She ain't a persona non grata or anything, I'm just not that familiar with her. I don't have a blurb directly for Phelous for similar reasons, I only watch Lupa.

poparena posted:

-GoingRampant An up-and-comer I think, she reviews media from a feminist perspective with a fine amount of detail. Basically, if you still feel FeministFrequency is too broad in her approach, I'd check GoingRampant out.

Whelp, I just watched her Buffy S1E7 review and she has a new fan. Exactly what I wanted out of feminist critique videos, thanks.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 14, 2015

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

is a small town
Buglord
Sweet, apparently all CA producers have individual RSS feeds, so you can enjoy their content without having to go there to check! Just click on his or her name, go to that producer's user page, and add "/feed" to the end of the URL.

code:
http://channelawesome.com/category/videos/producers/some-jerk-with-a-camera/feed/
Some Jerk with a Camera

SciFi Debris

Angry Joe

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Great OP man, looking forward to chatting with our local SA critics and discussing their reviews hopefully with slightly less drama, I can dream.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
How do you guys feel about ChaosD1 with his show MMO Grinder and Tyger with his show MUD2MMO? Just tossing out a couple of names.

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 14, 2015

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

poparena posted:

Tee hee

Would it be good to identify critics who are goons in the OP? I know it took me a little bit to realize that one of the thread posters was actually Lupa, f'rex.

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

Happy Viking's Frothy Pint of Metal is about an ancient Canadian viking who reviews lesser known heavy metal bands. He is extremely passionate about the bands he covers, and goes into the history and culture of the band, their style of music, and is in general very informative as well as funny. His relentless positivity is also really welcome since I feel a lot of critics lean more towards the negative side of criticism. His entuseasim for the bands he reviews has led me to buying the albums for a lot of bands he reviews.

I'd say the best video to start with him would be his Tengger Cavalry review , which I feel shows both what he loves to talk about (folk metal) while also going over a lot interesting stuff about the bands history and musical influences.

Also as luck would have it, he just recently released a new video about Indian band Skyharbor . So I'd say check out both videos, they are both really good.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

is a small town
Buglord
I've really been enjoying Some Jerk with a Camera (Tony Goldmark). He puts a great amount of effort into his videos and he covers a subject hardly anyone else does.

http://blip.tv/some-jerk-with-a-camera

EDIT:

↓ ↓ ↓ Thanks!

Ema Nymton fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 14, 2015

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Ema Nymton posted:

Crosspost from old thread: Don't forget about RSS feeds (even though the rest of the world has). By using My Yahoo! or another feed reader, you can see the updates from all your favorite shows. Unless they're on YouTube, which stopped doing RSS.

They only stopped doing RSS for your own subscription page, and stopped publicizing how to access individual account RSS. But the RSS feed link is still there: if you want someone's videos in an RSS feed, it's at http://gdata.youtube.com/feeds/base/users/[username]/uploads

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I might have to organize the Misc part into sections focusing on various genres, it's going to be a bit discordant otherwise.

Puppy Time posted:

Would it be good to identify critics who are goons in the OP? I know it took me a little bit to realize that one of the thread posters was actually Lupa, f'rex.

I considered it, but while their identity isn't exactly a secret, I don't want to go screaming "Hey guys this person is a Goon go stalk their post history!" either. I mean, if Lupa, JO, or Kyle really want people to know they post here and under what names I can put it in there. But barring an explicit request from them I'll just leave it as is and let people discover it themselves.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jan 14, 2015

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Puppy Time posted:

Nah. There's not really much point since they're either gonna talk about their own stuff or remark on tangents that can relate to their work. No reason to try to separate them from the conversation with the asterisk "THIS IS AN INTERNET REVIEWER" since for the most part they make their presence known by talking like professionals. (HA!)

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jan 14, 2015

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
EDIT: Okay, nevermind then. Instead, I'll just second Poparena's self-recommendation. Everything he puts out is super well-researched and very funny. He goes one step beyond most other critics and actually tries to get the creators of the various works he spotlights in whatever way he can for added clarity or context if he can get them.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jan 14, 2015

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Goon critics for the OP include my show, Cheapskate Reviews, which covers freely-available film;

http://thezerolevel.com/series/cheapskate/

and Infamous Sphere, who talks about queer film and period dramas.

http://blip.tv/infamoussphere

Stink Fuck Rob
Nov 22, 2006
I HAVEN'T BATHED SINCE DECEMBER 4, 2009. ARE U READY FOR A STINK FUCK????
Some other suggestions for the OP:

Double Toasted - Korey and Martin started out doing movie reviews nearly 20 years ago on public access television. After years of podcasting with spill.com, they've come full circle back to video content. These guys put out a _ton_ of content from movie reviews to radio call-in shows, so try to find one or two shows you like and stick to those.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DoubleToastedDOTcom/videos (Edited reviews and clips from their live shows)
https://soundcloud.com/kcoolman (All show audio is posted here for free, full 2 hour+ video streams are subscription only)

Welcome to the Basement - A sort-of mix between MST3K-style commentary and serious film critique from a couple of delightful theater nerds from Wisconsin.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Stink gently caress Rob posted:

Some other suggestions for the OP:

Double Toasted - Korey and Martin started out doing movie reviews nearly 20 years ago on public access television. After years of podcasting with spill.com, they've come full circle back to video content. These guys put out a _ton_ of content from movie reviews to radio call-in shows, so try to find one or two shows you like and stick to those.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DoubleToastedDOTcom/videos (Edited reviews and clips from their live shows)
https://soundcloud.com/kcoolman (All show audio is posted here for free, full 2 hour+ video streams are subscription only)
Thread here, courtesy of yours truly

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well that all escalated quickly. :stare: There have been times over the last, oh, five years or so where I've imagined alternate realities where I tried to get into the whole Internet Critic thing and after reading all this I feel like I dodged a bullet. :v:

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

'Sup new thread?

Please could we add Yahtzee's Zero Punctuation to the OP? http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation

Also here is an excellent weekly podcast about games, called Crate & Crowbar, which is 5 British games journalists (trigger warning) and developers talking about games, cons, news events and so on. There is a good forum on the site also. I thought about starting a separate thread but decided maybe I should just occasionally mention it itt when it seems relevant to discussions here. They are funny and articulate and I recommend giving them a listen.
http://crateandcrowbar.com/

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
I've been mentioned already in the thread but I may as well introduce myself to any newcomers. Hi, I'm Infamous Sphere, and I have a show where I review queer movies (and queer TV and one comic and one book) and period dramas. That's everything from famous big-name "everyone's heard of this" stuff, weird arthouse stuff, hideously bad stuff and really old stuff - although I've covered a lot more LGBT media than I have period pieces. There's also a lot of LGBT period pieces, because...well...of course.

If you haven't gone to Chez Apocalypse, I'd recommend both Sursum Ursa (who talks about many different topics and tends to be quite positive, although there's often a focus on "female-centered' entertainment) and Rantasmo, who is another queer-media-focussed critic, although his videos have a very different style to mine. Also if you like exploitation films, the Cine-Masochist is very enthusiastic and well-informed about his choice of review material.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Kimble Justice reviews mostly retro titles but with a focus mainly on Genesis games but has also done retrospectives on licensed games from A to Z including some top 10 lists based on WWE games as well as Star Wars games: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9ZWVL1Elyt2cdiQYjxS_1w.

Kim really deserves more views if someone like Animated Atrocities is getting view-counts in the thousands.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
I'd like to recommend MechaGamezilla. He reviews video games and is an absolute treasure.

EDIT: Added link

Mad Lupine fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 15, 2015

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Thank you OldTennisCourt :)

To be more specific about the things I mostly do now ('cause to be honest I haven't really done Mega Drive games in a long time) I mostly review games and other assorted trash from the late 90's/early 00's, with a fair bit of the social stuff around it thrown in, and maybe even the odd bit of queer/trans-related stuff too. I also kind of like to do very left-field stuff now and again (like, say, the Video Game scene in Africa) and I generally do stuff that I either like or find quite interesting as opposed to things that I just flat-out don't like. I guess that my videos are cool if you like lengthy vids presented by someone with a mysterious voice and gender.

(Also if I do so happen to be added to the OP, please add me under "Kim Justice" as that's what I go by now. Thanks! And yeah, this is me: https://www.youtube.com/user/elmyrdehory)

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Here's MikeJ's Informericalism along with his Patreon.

And here's another that's not already on the list, Cecil Trachenburg with Good Bad Flicks with accompanying Patreon.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
At this point, I'm calling a moratorium on new critics to add to the OP, at least until I add all this and see just how massive it becomes.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Ghostpilot posted:

Here's MikeJ's Informericalism along with his Patreon.

And here's another that's not already on the list, Cecil Trachenburg with Good Bad Flicks with accompanying Patreon.

I really love Mike J. That loving torture mask he reviewed one time is straight out of my nightmares.

Ghilz
Jun 15, 2007
In confusion there is opportunity

Tracula posted:

I really love Mike J. That loving torture mask he reviewed one time is straight out of my nightmares.

That and the insane diets he subjected himself to for our entertainment.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I don't think we should add too many people to the OP since it will because too big and unapproachable then.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

watho posted:

I don't think we should add too many people to the OP since it will because too big and unapproachable then.

Well if that becomes a problem, clearly some of those already there should be taken out then so the new ones can go in and get some exposure. :colbert:

Really though that position just seems poised to start an argument.

RustyTrombone
Oct 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Here's Doug Walker with The Matrix: http://channelawesome.com/nostalgia-critic-the-matrix/ Lots of Lols to be had!

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
Even if we aren't going to expand the list in the OP, there's one producer/goon we shouldn't leave out: Cecil Trachenburg of Good Bad Flicks, who has posted in this thread (well, previous threads) before. He does good stuff, both in his general reviews and other videos like his deconstruction series (I know his "WTF happened to PG-13?" video was popular).

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Check five post up. :cheeky:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What's everyone's opinion on Bennett the Sage? He reviews schlock anime from the 90s and early 2000s, and occasionally dips into some weird sketch comedy. He can strike a good balance between letting terrible OVAs speak for themselves and actually having some quite insightful moments. Unfortunately, this can also be frustrating, when he's discussing a show you might want a more in depth look at, and instead he goes for the poop joke instead.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Arcsquad12 posted:

He can strike a good balance between letting terrible OVAs speak for themselves and actually having some quite insightful moments. Unfortunately, this can also be frustrating, when he's discussing a show you might want a more in depth look at, and instead he goes for the poop joke instead.

That sums up my option of him pretty well. he really seems to know his stuff and it is really interesting when he goes into detail with it, but sadly his show is often too routed into the Nostalgia Critic formula. I mean, occasionally his jokes are legitimately funny, but overall, I have the feeling there is a lot squandered potential in his reviews

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

e X posted:

That sums up my option of him pretty well. he really seems to know his stuff and it is really interesting when he goes into detail with it, but sadly his show is often too routed into the Nostalgia Critic formula. I mean, occasionally his jokes are legitimately funny, but overall, I have the feeling there is a lot squandered potential in his reviews

He tends to be more in depth on shows he actually likes or vehemently hates. His recent review of Tokyo Godfathers was excellent, whereas his Night of the Cockroaches review was a godawful parody of The Critic.

Also, the angry commenter video after his Critic crossover was legitimately funny.

• Locked thread