Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Marathoning all the Boogyman videos is not a bad idea and neither is doing it with the Pulse ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

If you can stomach some of the images, I rather enjoyed his Human Centipede 2 review.

His review of the first one is decent too without being as gross.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Infamous Sphere posted:

I've been mentioned already in the thread but I may as well introduce myself to any newcomers. Hi, I'm Infamous Sphere, and I have a show where I review queer movies (and queer TV and one comic and one book) and period dramas. That's everything from famous big-name "everyone's heard of this" stuff, weird arthouse stuff, hideously bad stuff and really old stuff - although I've covered a lot more LGBT media than I have period pieces. There's also a lot of LGBT period pieces, because...well...of course.

If you haven't gone to Chez Apocalypse, I'd recommend both Sursum Ursa (who talks about many different topics and tends to be quite positive, although there's often a focus on "female-centered' entertainment) and Rantasmo, who is another queer-media-focussed critic, although his videos have a very different style to mine. Also if you like exploitation films, the Cine-Masochist is very enthusiastic and well-informed about his choice of review material.

I Just got around to watch your videos, and I've kind of been binge watching them today. My roommate and I have a very young gay friend who's had trouble knowing where to begin with looking into queer culture and theory, (most of his friends are 17-18 year old hipsters who see his sexuality more as a niche) so we plan to have a once a month queer cinema day at our apartment. I've had problems finding stuff that wasn't just utterly depressing or exploitative so it's nice to have someone weed it out a bit. I already added a lot of the stuff you covered to the list of movies we'll watch. So thanks!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Some of my favorite Phelous videos are the Pulse ones, especially where he rages over the Internet Ghosts and the in-canon(?) reason why he wears red.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Mischalaniouse posted:

I'm a big fan of all of his low-budget cartoon reviews, like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde http://blip.tv/phelous/dr-jekyll-and-mr-hyde-6611996 Aladdin and the Adventure of All Time http://blip.tv/phelous/aladdin-and-the-adventure-of-all-time-6646347 the other Aladdin animated movie http://blip.tv/phelous/aladdin-6223537 He-Man and She-Ra Christmas Special http://blip.tv/phelous/he-man-and-she-ra-christmas-special-6713584

Aw, you left off the Beauty and the Beast review. And the other Beauty and the Beast review.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Phelous is a funny guy, but he kind of has a face for radio and a voice for The Great Train Robbery. Is there any stuff where he's just the writer?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I think he wrote Halloweenie's stuff. :v:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oh, hey, looks like Jay Bauman is, out of nowhere, branching out into doing vlogs now!

He brings up some interesting points, but I'm not entirely sure I'm with him. Maybe in the followups.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

...that's a link to the trailer for Ishtar...

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

NOw I kind of want to watch Ishtar.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
All things considered that feels like the appropriate way for Jay to announce a vlog.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

BigRed0427 posted:

NOw I kind of want to watch Ishtar.

Comedy Central used to show Ishtar a decent amount when I was a kid. It's bad. (But not, like, that bad.)

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

OrangeKing posted:

Comedy Central used to show Ishtar a decent amount when I was a kid. It's bad. (But not, like, that bad.)

It's one of those things that was much worse at the time due to the all the drama behind the scenes, the events of the time, hubris etc. All of that stuff aside, it's just a pretty unremarkable movie.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Tyger runs a show called MUD2MMO where he talks about aspects of video games, gamers, the culture, the industry and, on rare occasions, nostalgic music. I watched his videos before he was on Channel Awesome (and the old stuff can be found here) and his newest one is about nostalgia. He also has a Patreon.

I learned about him from ChaosD1 and his MMO Grinder show, which I'll put up later.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Phelous is a funny guy, but he kind of has a face for radio and a voice for The Great Train Robbery. Is there any stuff where he's just the writer?

I think he looks fine. A goofy mug is great for comedy :)

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

i am tim! posted:

All things considered that feels like the appropriate way for Jay to announce a vlog.

I don't know which reaction was more :allears: to Rich and Jack during last night's stream: Jay's vlog announcement or the developer of Necrodancer popping into the chat to discuss the game with everyone because of the PreRec review.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Ghostpilot posted:

It's one of those things that was much worse at the time due to the all the drama behind the scenes, the events of the time, hubris etc. All of that stuff aside, it's just a pretty unremarkable movie.

The trailer makes it look like it's loving unbearable

EDIT: and I've seen the trailer a million times so I should know

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Heh. It's funny that you'd expect a film as notorious as Ishtar to be a career destroyer, but Dustin Hoffman, Warren Beatty, Isabelle Adjani, and Elaine May all walked away from it with their careers intact. It's mindboggling. :confused:

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Eh... not so much Elaine May. Ishtar killed her directorial career.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

nine-gear crow posted:

Heh. It's funny that you'd expect a film as notorious as Ishtar to be a career destroyer, but Dustin Hoffman, Warren Beatty, Isabelle Adjani, and Elaine May all walked away from it with their careers intact. It's mindboggling. :confused:
Elaine May only worked very sporadically after "Ishtar". She's never directed again, and the only two screenplays of hers that got made were in 1996 and 1998 respectively ("The Birdcage" and "Primary Colors"), and she hasn't done much work since, or at least work that's made it to the big screen. Hoffman's career was saved by "Rain Man", which came out the next year. Beatty came back with "Dick Tracy" and "Bugsy" which were both critical and commercial hits, plus he had plenty of reputation and gently caress you money to do whatever he wanted. "Ishtar" is bad but its mostly the boring kind of bad, outside of a few scenes with Charles Grodin that are mildly amusing. Something like "Howard the Duck", which came out around the same time is more fun from a trainwreck perspective because its just so mind-bogglingly awful.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Beatty killed his career at the end of the 1990s when he made that romantic comedy that ended up costing $80 million.

I've heard he's finally resolved the legal issues that were keeping him from making a Dick Tracy sequel the past 25 years or so, though.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Metal Loaf posted:

Beatty killed his career at the end of the 1990s when he made that romantic comedy that ended up costing $80 million.

Ahem, 90 million.

quote:

I've heard he's finally resolved the legal issues that were keeping him from making a Dick Tracy sequel the past 25 years or so, though.

And at the spry young age of 77, he should be a shoo in for it.

Finally caught up to Red Letter Media's "gently caress You, It's January." I could not be that brutally cynical even if I dedicated the rest of my life to it... but goddamn it's kind of hilarious watching them do it.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Metal Loaf posted:

He did this by filming a TV special that only aired once on Turner Classic Movies that has him briefly play the Dick Tracy character. He really, really wants to keep the film rights to the character for some reason.
There's a great book called "Fiasco", which you can get on Amazon that goes into detail on that production and how it just kept going for three years with sporadic reshoots, and that the final cost may have actually been close to or even over $100 million. The book also covers "Last Action Hero" and "Paint Your Wagon", among other more well-known flops like "Battlefield Earth". Good read.

Rebochan posted:

Finally caught up to Red Letter Media's "gently caress You, It's January." I could not be that brutally cynical even if I dedicated the rest of my life to it... but goddamn it's kind of hilarious watching them do it.
I will say that I find their cynicism to be tiring at points, and some of Mike's humor in particular sometimes comes off as just uncomfortably bitter and mean-spirited.

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Rap Critic's Top Nine Rap Songs is up.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

johnfw50 posted:

I mostly just listen to the hit parade, so I feel like I only catch the worst of the "drank, clubs, n' hoes" rap singles that circulate, but I do like Kendrick Lamar a lot, so Rap Critic's #1 pick, (one of only two songs in the list I had heard before,) made me happy. That song and last year's "Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe" were sooooo loving good and weren't on the charts anywhere near long enough. I even went out of my way to hear him perform it live on SNL, despite their horrible acoustics and the idea of having to voluntarily watch SNL.

Anyway, great list, some stuff for me to check out as the charts settle into ennui yet again...

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

johnfw50 posted:

He's doing a gofund me for a trip to Italy for a Summer Program called Opera in Oberlin
http://www.gofundme.com/k9fcb4

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Sarcopenia posted:

I Just got around to watch your videos, and I've kind of been binge watching them today. My roommate and I have a very young gay friend who's had trouble knowing where to begin with looking into queer culture and theory, (most of his friends are 17-18 year old hipsters who see his sexuality more as a niche) so we plan to have a once a month queer cinema day at our apartment. I've had problems finding stuff that wasn't just utterly depressing or exploitative so it's nice to have someone weed it out a bit. I already added a lot of the stuff you covered to the list of movies we'll watch. So thanks!

thanks! I'm glad you like my reviews. If you'd like recommendations for queer movies that are nice and positive and fun etc, I can give you some. Some ones that I haven't reviewed but I think are more positive in tone are Beautiful Thing, loving Amal/Show Me Love, The Sum Of Us (although it might be upsetting if he doesn't have a good relationship with his parents), My Beautiful Laundrette, Cloudburst, But I'm A Cheerleader, The Incredibly True Adventure of Two Girls In Love (which is VERY 90s, so just be prepared for that) and Pride. (The above films are a mix of lesbian and gay male and a couple of trans themes.) Lots of people like Weekend, because of how aggressively "normal" but at the same time explicitly queer it is, but I personally found it a bit dull.
I'm not as up on my LGBT tv, or my LGBT comic books, so you might have to get some other recommendations on that if he's interested in that kind of thing. But I definitely recommend having queer movie nights.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Angry Joe has another run in with Copyright. This time it's Nintendo. Funny since I thought that after the incident and the stupid discussions (shout matches), they were okay with Let's Plays and reviews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koX-Ny6zHdM&

Still don't have any idea how people are quick to defend corporations when often the corporations in question often don't seem to care about the customers.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm sure Joe should of known that Nintendo has long ago announced that they were going to claim all ad revenue for any videos with their content.

Though I do agree its kinda silly that they can get ALL the revenue.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Leal posted:

I'm sure Joe should of known that Nintendo has long ago announced that they were going to claim all ad revenue for any videos with their content.

Though I do agree its kinda silly that they can get ALL the revenue.

Yeah that makes no sense. If Joe does make a video with Nintendo and Bioware content, what happens? Does Nintendo bully Bioware out or do they have some sort of agreement? If a share why not give Joe a cut? It's not exactly clear on YouTube's policy. Then again YouTube doesn't like being told that their policies have unclear/unfair guidelines.

Speaking which I've now realized that it's been two years since YouTube pretty much gave corporations the "gently caress you" button, and despite numerous complaints from well, everyone, they still kept it and now it's kind of a begrudging acceptance.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Thats what I was wondering too, recently Microsoft released some terms for LPs and something like all LPs of Microsoft games were semi canon (so if Microsoft does something suggested in an LP it saves them from "I thought of it first" lawsuits or something like that). So with that in mind, what if I did a Halo LP, so its semi in canon fro the Halo lore, and for a single frame there is just a picture of Mario. Does that mean Nintendo gets all profits from my 30 minute video cause for 1/60th of a second I had a picture of Mario up there? Does that mean Nintendo will profit off a Microsoft game lets play? Does this mean that Mario is now semi canon in the Halo universe?

Surely just taking a cut rather then the whole hog will work better for Nintendo? I'd rather earn a percentage of 100 people's earnings rather then 100% of 10 people's earning.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I know this happened to Total Biscuit one time during his podcast. I think it was about 2 1/2 or 3 hours long and because he used a minute long trailer for Pokemon X/Y Nintendo managed to claim the entire video and only they made money off of it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Annointed posted:

Angry Joe has another run in with Copyright. This time it's Nintendo. Funny since I thought that after the incident and the stupid discussions (shout matches), they were okay with Let's Plays and reviews.

Still don't have any idea how people are quick to defend corporations when often the corporations in question often don't seem to care about the customers.

He is such a giant baby :laffo:

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Annointed posted:

A fair number of Nintendo-heavy content creators who didn't wanna give up have been able find ways around it, either through editing or simply by just becoming a managed partner with their network. Seriously seeing how many of them were able to get managed status in the past year it doesn't seem as exclusive and rare as people originally said it was.

I don't know why he's not managed even though he's a part of a network, he's got a brand and he's made an issue every time this has happened to him before-

quote:

Im still Affiliated because I want to know when smaller channels are getting hosed and stand up for them. IS this how Nintendo acts on YT?

Oh, well that sounds....uh....

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Genocyber posted:

He is such a giant baby :laffo:

Thank you for the opinion Genocyber. I know you need to browse other threads between telling everyone to git gud at Dark Souls.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
http://www.lazygamereviews.com
This guy is amazing for reviewing oddware, dos games and the like.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That NC Matrix review is pretty lame overall and really reaches for things to complain about, but the gag of him saying that nothing's changed since 1999 while dozens of white cops beat Laurence Fishburn is pretty funny. Even though he probably should have noticed that race has thematic significance for the movie.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Cinea Snob does his 20 best movies of 2014. I really need to get around to watching A Walk Among the Tombstones. I missed it in theatres, but it's probably out on dvd/blu-ray by now.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

MonsieurChoc posted:

Cinea Snob does his 20 best movies of 2014. I really need to get around to watching A Walk Among the Tombstones. I missed it in theatres, but it's probably out on dvd/blu-ray by now.

Aaaaaaaawwwww crap.

now there's like 15 more films on my 'poo poo I want to see' list.

(I went to the cinema like, 5 times last year. And two of those was Guardians of the Galaxy)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tracula posted:

Thank you for the opinion Genocyber. I know you need to browse other threads between telling everyone to git gud at Dark Souls.

I don't see how that has anything to do with anything.

• Locked thread