Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Jay Bauman has gone full David Lynch with these vlogs he's started doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSh0z3h7R5E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLexMcEzkto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.
Please do not post opinions in the internet critic thread

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

KayTee posted:

Aaaaaaaawwwww crap.

now there's like 15 more films on my 'poo poo I want to see' list.

(I went to the cinema like, 5 times last year. And two of those was Guardians of the Galaxy)

Yeah, the only thing I saw this year that didn't get a WIDE release was Nightcrawler. I gotta make more of an effort to get to the Bow-Tie theatre more often.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
Relevant CA convos concerning my departure:
http://imgur.com/a/K8Xe4

If that isn't alright I'm happy to edit the post and apologize.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Eh, I mostly wanted to keep CA drama off the first page or so. Talking about CA stuff should be okay now that we're settled in, as long as we only talk about people who volunteer info like you and don't do creepy internet detective work.

E: Lupa, the midroll discussion had me wondering. Is it hard to know exactly where Blip will insert midrolls? I remember that, at least on some of your videos, the ads had a weird habit of interrupting you mid-sentence sometimes. That was really the only complaint I had about your midrolls (though I didn't email Channel Awesome about it or anything dumb like that).

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 17, 2015

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Apparently Channel Awesome is looking to start a Patreon :lol:

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

Apparently Channel Awesome is looking to start a Patreon :lol:

They made an executive decision. I see nothing wrong with that.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I'm really gonna have to say [citation needed] on the whole complaints about midroll ads, that sounds like absolute bullshit from them.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Jsor posted:

Eh, I mostly wanted to keep CA drama off the first page or so. Talking about CA stuff should be okay now that we're settled in, as long as we only talk about people who volunteer info like you and don't do creepy internet detective work.

E: Lupa, the midroll discussion had me wondering. Is it hard to know exactly where Blip will insert midrolls? I remember that, at least on some of your videos, the ads had a weird habit of interrupting you mid-sentence sometimes. That was really the only complaint I had about your midrolls (though I didn't email Channel Awesome about it or anything dumb like that).

Blip gives you a general area to put midrolls on, but no matter where you pause it, it'll round it to the nearest second. So, that's why sentences get cut off sometimes. Although, if you skip to the ads and watch them, you can go back to the beginning and watch the rest of the video without the ad interrupting again.

EDIT: And yes, I have been told CA was planning on starting a Patreon. I'm sure they'll make bank and become even lazier.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Does anyone else have a hard time watching videos on phelous.com on mobile devices? When I try to watch videos on my iPad the sidebar covers up part of the right part of the video player and makes it so I can't fullscreen the video. :(

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

I'll pass it on and see if the issue can be fixed. :)

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Miss Wallace posted:

Jesus Christ... "We have a policy on producers e-begging". Classy as ever.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Well, I think that comes from one producer actually asking for people to basically pay his rent for him, which did rub a lot of people wrong.

Problem is of course, Patreon is nothing like that. It is basically like any other free web service that has paid premium membership that gives you some bonus (you know, like the tgwtg membership). It also isn't emotionally manipulative. So really, it doesn't really compare at all.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

dijon du jour posted:

Does anyone else have a hard time watching videos on phelous.com on mobile devices? When I try to watch videos on my iPad the sidebar covers up part of the right part of the video player and makes it so I can't fullscreen the video. :(

I've gotten another report about that. The sidebar *should* hide with iPad's screen resolution. I think it's the double-pixel-density thing on the newer displays throwing that off. I'll adjust the layout this weekend to compensate.

Thanks for the bug report.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Tracula posted:

They remind me of the kind of movies Oancitizen would review.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
One of my favourite bits about the vlog is how all the sidebar suggestions are for beauty tutorials, haul videos and Mums vlogging about their kids.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Tracula posted:

Talking of David Lynch, as Infamous Sphere has discovered, there is now a David Lynch thread on the CineD board. You can find it here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3695062

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Obscurus Lupa returns to Cheapskate Live! This time we’re watching the pilot to the action series that’s inspired by, and sillier than, Baywatch. It’s Acapulco H.E.A.T.!

Ronk a Donk
Feb 13, 2012
Lupa released a new Baywatching -- "Nightmare Bay"! New season! New characters! Also old characters! Also old actors playing new characters! Also, sea monsters might be killing people? The resolution to this mystery is clawful.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Baywatch is a wonderful gift.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
'Think of me next time you rub Hobie's back'

:stare:

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Tracula posted:

I love their contempt for the direction that YouTubers/internet personalities are moving towards.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

bbf2 posted:

I love their contempt for the direction that YouTubers/internet personalities are moving towards.

I'd be surprised if that played a role in things at all; they seem to ignore everything about that kind of stuff by choice, I'd be shocked if they cared about Youtubers even enough to mock them, or even were aware enough about them to do so. I think this is just supposed to be entertainingly weird/surreal.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Ronk a Donk posted:

Lupa released a new Baywatching -- "Nightmare Bay"!

Boom Mike is my new favorite character.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

HopperUK posted:

'Think of me next time you rub Hobie's back'

:stare:

Yeah, it was just as creepy in the episode. I cut out most of the scene that made the back rubbing comment make sense, because it is also creepy.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
With the drama at CA, I'm a little paranoid at what might have really gone down at Mythbusters. Probably nothing as dramatic, but you never know.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Mraagvpeine posted:

With the drama at CA, I'm a little paranoid at what might have really gone down at Mythbusters. Probably nothing as dramatic, but you never know.

Well Mythbusters isn't a start-up manned by controlling manchildren, so it has that.

At least as far as I know.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Ronk a Donk posted:

Lupa released a new Baywatching -- "Nightmare Bay"! New season! New characters! Also old characters! Also old actors playing new characters! Also, sea monsters might be killing people? The resolution to this mystery is clawful.

Best show not on TV. Jaws quote as well, I love it. Lupa it maybe too far in the future but do you think you'll be giving Baywatch Nights the same treatment?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
She's said she will be covering Nights in some fashion eventually.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Mokinokaro posted:

She's said she will be covering Nights in some fashion eventually.

Cool, cheers.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

So... two things...

1. So if Craig and Gina aren't on the show anymore, where does Eddie live now?

Miss Wallace posted:

I cut out most of the scene that made the back rubbing comment make sense, because it is also creepy.

....what in god's name could the context be?!

Lupa, you are braver than I for sitting through this madness. I am perpetually amused that so little happens on the show that you can actually easily condense it to roughly 6-7 minutes of commentary.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Ultragonk posted:

Best show not on TV. Jaws quote as well, I love it. Lupa it maybe too far in the future but do you think you'll be giving Baywatch Nights the same treatment?

What Mokinokaro said, but also I did a Manic Episodes a loooong time ago on a Baywatch Nights ep if you'd care to see it:

http://blip.tv/OLPresents/me-baywatch-nights-the-eighth-seal-4990024

It's the ep where Mitch is possessed by a demon! Keep in mind I hadn't even seen Baywatch proper at that point, and the technical quality isn't the best. I'll go over the ep again in Baywatching when it comes to it, but that'll be a long time coming.

Rebochan posted:

So... two things...

1. So if Craig and Gina aren't on the show anymore, where does Eddie live now?

....what in god's name could the context be?!

1. I honestly don't remember where Eddie's living; he might've moved in with Shauni. It'd make sense since they're engaged now, but I suppose I'll remember whenever it comes to it.

2. So the whole thing with the "sea monster" victim staying at Mitch's house was all some convoluted thing where he asked her to stay to keep her from talking to that nosy reporter. Mitch wakes up in the middle of the night to her crying, and tries to comfort her next to the fireplace. He mentions when Hobie has trouble sleeping he rubs his back (???) and she asks him to rub her back. He does, and things turn sexy. Then he breaks it off and says it's gotta end there. 'Cause he's a nice guy. A nice, creepy guy.

I had to cut out a lot since Nightmare Bay was a two-parter and it would've gone on forever.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Man I need to remember where I left on watching the Baywatching episode, because I need to jump back on this cheesy train.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Miss Wallace posted:

He mentions when Hobie has trouble sleeping he rubs his back (???) and she asks him to rub her back.

He does, and things turn sexy.

:stonk:

Ronk a Donk
Feb 13, 2012

Miss Wallace posted:

I'll go over the ep again in Baywatching when it comes to it, but that'll be a long time coming.

I am super bummed out we will have to wait another five seasons before we get to "Baywatch Nights." I loved "Baywatch" when I was a kid (I was a really dumb kid), and even I thought "Baywatch Nights" was the stupidest thing on television.

quote:

I had to cut out a lot since Nightmare Bay was a two-parter and it would've gone on forever.

It was two episodes long? Whaaaaa?

EDIT

Also!

New Nostalgia Chic--- uh... Loose Canon, with Lindsay Ellis! http://chezapocalypse.com/episodes/loose-canon-hades-lord-of-the-underworld/

And Todd's got his "Top Ten Worst Hit Songs of 2014" out! It's a two-parter. Part 1: http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/the-top-ten-worst-hit-songs-of-2014-part-1-7142479

Ronk a Donk fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 18, 2015

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Miss Wallace posted:

2. So the whole thing with the "sea monster" victim staying at Mitch's house was all some convoluted thing where he asked her to stay to keep her from talking to that nosy reporter. Mitch wakes up in the middle of the night to her crying, and tries to comfort her next to the fireplace. He mentions when Hobie has trouble sleeping he rubs his back (???) and she asks him to rub her back. He does, and things turn sexy. Then he breaks it off and says it's gotta end there. 'Cause he's a nice guy. A nice, creepy guy.

I don't wanna be "That Guy" And tell you how to do your job, but this should have been in there.

Edit: It's amazing how thin the line between romantic and creepy is though.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 18, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's strange looking at Baywatch from the perspective of someone in 2015. It seems like it was such a big deal in its day, but now it's a relic of the 1990s. There's some series that, their quality or lack thereof notwithstanding, achieve a certain degree of timelessness even when they're products of their time (sticking to the 1990s, I'd put forward The X-Files, Seinfeld, possibly Friends, and even camp-fests like Xena: Warrior Princess), and then there's stuff that made an impact in its day and was a big deal at the time but doesn't seem to retain the same recognition or influence.

Sticking to the 1990s, you look at the series that were consistently nominated for all the big television awards, or had a fairly long run on the small screen. LA Law (which, if Wikipedia is any indication, seemed to dominate the Best Drama Series categories after Hill Street Blues wrapped up), thirtysomething, Picket Fences, NYPD Blue (12 seasons, and I'm pretty sure Dennis Franz must have at least as many awards for playing Sipowicz as James Gandolfini and Bryan Cranston won for The Sopranos and Breaking Bad), possibly Homicide: Life On the Street, Chicago Hope, even ER (15 seasons).

Perhaps my reference pool is too small, but they just don't seem to have the same profile to me despite the impact they made.

It's like dropping a stone into a paddling pool; it might make a splash, but if it doesn't spill over the sides and get everywhere, people are less likely to remember it.

:spergin::hf::spergin::hf::spergin::hf::spergin::hf::spergin::hf::spergin:

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Miss Wallace posted:

If that isn't alright I'm happy to edit the post and apologize.

Saved all of them. Thanks a lot for posting these! I do enjoy this stuff, really :allears:

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Well Mythbusters isn't a start-up manned by controlling manchildren, so it has that.

At least as far as I know.
IIRC, Mythbusters is made by an Austrian production company and Discovery. Any drama that happens there is just typical of the TV entertainment biz.

CA is different because the weird poo poo that happens there would probably not happen in a real professional TV environment. At least the latter has entertainment industry lawyers prepared specifically to handle such litigation, and it happens all the time. CA know that no one's ever going to have the money to sue, or lawyers and judges who even understand this online stuff.

dijon du jour posted:

Blip has an app. Videos load quickly on it. I use it because my crummy tablet is too weak to play videos and run a browser at the same time :(

Ema Nymton fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 18, 2015

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

I don't wanna be "That Guy" And tell you how to do your job, but this should have been in there.

Edit: It's amazing how thin the line between romantic and creepy is though.

Ha ha, it probably should have been. I also cut out most of Shauni's subplot where she goes to a bad inner city neighborhood to get the kids she rescued into the swim program. In that case though it was mostly because it was boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Ema Nymton posted:

CA is different because the weird poo poo that happens there would probably not happen in a real professional TV environment.
Nah, the TV and film industry is absolutely brimming with people in positions of power who make it their goal in life to victimize and humiliate people below their paygrade. There's so much petty scare tactics, threats, verbal abuse, and ridicule going on because they know underlings would like to keep their jobs, and its in their best interest to continue taking poo poo instead of reporting it to higher-ups who are likely to laugh it off and/or fire them. Multiply this by about a thousand if you're a person of color and the person you're answering to is white, or if your boss is a man and you're a woman.

• Locked thread