Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Called it, Wiggle is #1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

Trying to figure out why one of those background guys in that Chris Brown video has a weird cartoon CGI head over his real head.

Maybe he's actually a furry and-:suicide:

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Or the director watched the Shia LaBouf videoclip and went "Oh, I want that."

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
actual woman-beater Chris Brown

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Still surprised there was anyone who didn't peg Wiggle as #1 as soon as they heard it.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Senerio posted:

Still surprised there was anyone who didn't peg Wiggle as #1 as soon as they heard it.

My entire logic was based on Todd usually picking something powerfully mediocre as #1, this year he just did the obvious thing. I mean, you could argue it falls in line with the trend of singling out an artist he hated this year, but I certainly couldn't point to any song on the list that I think is anywhere near as bad as Wiggle.

ALSO, since my toxx appears to not have taken effect yet, can I get a REDEMPTION TOXX that Uptown Funk will be #1 best? :toxx:

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

DStecks posted:

My entire logic was based on Todd usually picking something powerfully mediocre as #1, this year he just did the obvious thing. I mean, you could argue it falls in line with the trend of singling out an artist he hated this year, but I certainly couldn't point to any song on the list that I think is anywhere near as bad as Wiggle.

ALSO, since my toxx appears to not have taken effect yet, can I get a REDEMPTION TOXX that Uptown Funk will be #1 best? :toxx:
Dude, quit while you're ahead. I say that as a regular :toxx:-er on the Thunderdome, it never ends well.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

DStecks posted:

I somehow missed this since my involuntary radio exposure as of late has been limited to 'golden hits' kind of crap. Man, Bruno Mars is at his most tolerable when he's shamelessly ripping off the past.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Mraagvpeine posted:

Called it, Wiggle is #1.
I was really sad when I learned that Michael Keaton's son helped write that song

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

In terms of disappointment, AngryJoe's Most Dissin' games of '14 is up. haven't watched yet, so no spoilo here.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DStecks posted:

It's tough to say. I'm not sure if Todd is sticking to the Year-End list or not; if he is, "Uptown Funk" will have missed the cut-off for it. If I recall correctly, the chart year ends about a month before the year's actually out. However, if he's taking a more expansive approach and picking songs that were released in 2014 then it might be in with a chance; I think he might have mentioned adopting this methodology either last year or the year before, after he put "gently caress You" as the number-one song of 2011 despite it being released in 2010 but I can't remember for certain.

Also, the a cappella bit in the middle eight (such as it is) of "Upton Funk" is lifted almost wholesale from "Oops Upside Your Head" by the Gap Band. Still, it's a fun song. Good guitar part from Ronson; nice horn section as well. It's definitely got a sort of Minneapolis flavour, I think.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Confession: It's me. I'm the horrible person who actually likes Iggy Azalea songs. I know they're not actually good in an academic sense but my ears, they betray me.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Gyges posted:

Confession: It's me. I'm the horrible person who actually likes Iggy Azalea songs. I know they're not actually good in an academic sense but my ears, they betray me.
Another one of those here, that said Todd explained how I look at her as a person pretty well: A very, pretty, young girl. And not some sexy fox.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Joe's list was not surprising. Destiny on the top was expected but very deserving. Personally I'd rather play Warframe than Destiny simply for the fact that the devs admitted their rng was broken and they worked hard to fix it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

StealthArcher posted:

In terms of disappointment, AngryJoe's Most Dissin' games of '14 is up. haven't watched yet, so no spoilo here.

Spoiler: I was wrong about Ground Zeroes being on the list. Rewatching his original review of it, he was really really pissed at how short that game was.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I was just coming here to complain about Joe using other peoples clips and hardly doing any reviews this year, but then I read the comments to the video and people were talking about some run in he had with Youtube over doing game reviews. Can anyone here elaborate on this, as I couldn't find anything about it (or has he just got lazy with Twitch streams).

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Testekill posted:

Part two of Todds top ten is up

ahaha, Trumpets is so loving poo poo sounding. Well...actually, I thought it was poo poo the minute the first part of it played, and then it got to the lines about the arse/eyes/bra. Wow. Just wow.

DJ Mustard's beats seem not only identical, but as low-effort as possible. I feel like I could make a better beat than that and I've only got the barest knowledge of an out of date version of FL Studio.

Just an ugly collection of songs all-round.

I'd never heard of "Take me to church", and so I looked it up. It's certainly a bit of a dirge, and I'm sure I'd get sick of it if I had to listen to it frequently, but I'm very confused that it even managed to be an honourable mention on the list, when the list was made up of things that were a thousand times more musically horrible, with far uglier and less-considered messages. Also, a lot of the worst songs were really :effort:, whereas the Hozier one seemed like it had some actual work put into it.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

DeadBonesBrook posted:

I was just coming here to complain about Joe using other peoples clips and hardly doing any reviews this year, but then I read the comments to the video and people were talking about some run in he had with Youtube over doing game reviews. Can anyone here elaborate on this, as I couldn't find anything about it (or has he just got lazy with Twitch streams).

He's had a few rants about it. Most recently Nintendo claiming some footage he did and in the past I want to say Square Enix had him by the balls pretty bad as well. I can dig them up later but :effort:

Edit: Although he's done less reviews I'd say he's still been working though. I believe he streams games fairly often and since the popularity on doing that still hasn't peaked I don't blame him for maybe monetizing that over putting a ton of work into editing a review just to have it flagged for copyright.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 19, 2015

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

The funniest part was that YouTube as far as I know still doesn't get the concept of Double Jeopardy and standing.

Like if a content creator disputed a claim the holder can still repeatedly rail against the video over a dispute that's already been resolved. And it doesn't seem to give more leeway based on how often the user disputed a claim. Even though many content creators deal with this on a regular basis and win every time, they still are treated no better than a movie uploader.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Annointed posted:

The funniest part was that YouTube as far as I know still doesn't get the concept of Double Jeopardy and standing.

Like if a content creator disputed a claim the holder can still repeatedly rail against the video over a dispute that's already been resolved. And it doesn't seem to give more leeway based on how often the user disputed a claim. Even though many content creators deal with this on a regular basis and win every time, they still are treated no better than a movie uploader.

That poo poo's for fair trial. YouTube's policy is for making nice with the people that give them money.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Puppy Time posted:

That poo poo's for fair trial. YouTube's policy is for making nice with the people that give them money.

Isn't that the truth. YouTube's policy also includes ignoring everyone's complaints for well, everything they've done so far.

And the irony is that every article on YouTube's copyright I can find on Google News keeps saying legal, like saying it somehow excuses the loopholes they abuse like a tired horse.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
(i hosed up badly)

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice
There is a new Tasteful, Understated Nerdrage out; this time on the exploration of unconformable subjects in video games, mostly regarding characters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg_Lp5bO1U8

EDIT: VVV Thanks for pointing it out, fixed the link.

Utritum fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jan 20, 2015

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!

Utritum posted:

There is a new Tasteful, Understated Nerdrage out; this time on the exploration of unconformable subjects in video games, mostly regarding characters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MlatxLP-xs

This video was released in 2012. Did you mean to link to another video?

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Jack Gladney posted:

That NC Matrix review is pretty lame overall and really reaches for things to complain about, but the gag of him saying that nothing's changed since 1999 while dozens of white cops beat Laurence Fishburn is pretty funny. Even though he probably should have noticed that race has thematic significance for the movie.

I made the mistake of watching that video. Nickpicks the poo poo out of the movie, and the skits are horrible. Also, the agent who represents the fanbase is called agetn Schmuck. :rolleyes:

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I guess he missed Douchey NitPick.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
My show's getting a major retool, here's the update on it.
http://phelous.com/2015/01/20/obscurus-lupa/extras-obscurus-lupa/goodbye-obscurus-lupa-presents-hello-movie-nights/

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

PassTheRemote posted:

I made the mistake of watching that video. Nickpicks the poo poo out of the movie, and the skits are horrible. Also, the agent who represents the fanbase is called agetn Schmuck. :rolleyes:

I'm hoping the episodes go back to utilizing Tamara and Malcom a bit more. This one, and the past few, have kinda relegated them to cutaway jokes. Which is a pity, because both are excellent comedic actors.

But the skits they're in are completely ancillary to the "plot". If you took their characters out, nothing would really change about the review. Compare it to, say, the Wicker Man review. The episode wouldn't work without Tamara's character (which was also my favorite of the one's she's done so far). Ditto for, say, The Devil & Evilina in The Cat In The Hat. They were central to the premise of the episode, and the interaction with them was key to making the review's point.

The characters lately though-- if you cut out the scenes with their Matrix characters, nothing is loss and the review stands (except for a joke about leather outfits? Ehhh?).

Of course, the one character you couldn't cut out was the fan-voice Agent. And guess who got to play that character? :|

(And of course of course the only plot-important character lately has been Hyper Fan Girl. And I'll just leave my opinions about that one alone)

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
Does matrix even have a rabid fanbase now? i'am sure there are fan of the series and it was hugely popaler back in the day but i don't think it hold on to people's minds as other big name sci-fi, but is doug thinking making fun of it is going to be pages of backlashes. i feel having a charater making fun of a fan base is unnecessary.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Cool, I like the sound of a more casual, off-the-cuff style comedy review show. Maybe you could even occasionally bring in a guest or two. Kind of like what RLM does with Best of the Worst but focused on a single movie. Good luck with the new(ish) show!

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

That sounds like you are moving away from the ""Summarization of movie, intercut with snarky comment" style.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
AHHHH! It's different now! I can't handle it! :supaburn:

In all seriousness, looking forward to new material in a new format.

Cyron posted:

Does matrix even have a rabid fanbase now? i'am sure there are fan of the series and it was hugely popaler back in the day but i don't think it hold on to people's minds as other big name sci-fi, but is doug thinking making fun of it is going to be pages of backlashes. i feel having a charater making fun of a fan base is unnecessary.
Most people remember the first "Matrix" as a good movie. It definitely had its moment in the sun in terms of being both a huge financial success (it basically made the DVD format viable) and a big cult hit. The sequels really soured its legacy but its still popular enough to be a big deal on basic cable (AMC apparently paid a lot of money to show the full trilogy a few years back) and Warner makes a big deal whenever it gets re-released on Blu-Ray. Supposedly Warner is trying to get a reboot of it off the ground, or some kind of new trilogy.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
You know, which how much of an integral part the Internet and information technology has become, that might not be the worst idea ever.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Robert Denby posted:

AHHHH! It's different now! I can't handle it! :supaburn:

In all seriousness, looking forward to new material in a new format.

Most people remember the first "Matrix" as a good movie. It definitely had its moment in the sun in terms of being both a huge financial success (it basically made the DVD format viable) and a big cult hit. The sequels really soured its legacy but its still popular enough to be a big deal on basic cable (AMC apparently paid a lot of money to show the full trilogy a few years back) and Warner makes a big deal whenever it gets re-released on Blu-Ray. Supposedly Warner is trying to get a reboot of it off the ground, or some kind of new trilogy.

There used to be super-fans who dressed up and stuff. I knew a guy in college who dressed up as Neo for Halloween and spent months anticipating the new movies, so much so that he put together another costume as one of those white dreadlock guys from the second movie before it even came out. After he saw the sequel he said it wasn't very good and that was the last time I ever heard him mention the Matrix. I think the sequels downgraded it from a sci-fi event franchise to a decent movie, although the years of bullet time saturation for the next five years really didn't help.

Remember, back when it came out people were comparing it to Star Wars and explaining how the franchise that follows would be amazing. The franchise died the summer of 2002 or whenever the first sequel and those middling computer games hit.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I remember playing one of the games on the Gamecube. It certainly wasn't the worst licensed game I've played by any stretch, but it was kind of :effort:.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Has it ever been a popular theory that the Machines are actually the good guys during the movies? Because I maintain that what they did was fundamentally a kindness,albeit a very costly one, at least from their perspective.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I know that's a relatively popular theory. Or at least it has been since Animatrix became a thing.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

lornekates posted:

(And of course of course the only plot-important character lately has been Hyper Fan Girl. And I'll just leave my opinions about that one alone)

I actually wanna hear what you and/or other people think. I think you can do stuff like Douchey McNitpick or Hyper Fan Girl as one-off characters to sort of jab at the obsessive parts of the fanbase but when you make it a recurring character it just feels rather mean spirited to me.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I didn't really have a problem with Hyper Fan Girl until that awkward part in the Princess Diaries where it turned out she was just pretending to like "boy stuff".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I respect the Tasteful Understated Nerdrage dude more now for explicitly saying GamerGate is stupid. It may be belated, but it did come at the risk of him alienating all the dudebros who flocked to his Mass Effect ending critique during the ME3 backlash. He could have just totally ignored it and not run the risk of facing the Reddit tantrum, so good for him for clarifying his "position" when he didn't have to.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 21, 2015

• Locked thread