Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

business hammocks posted:

I would really enjoy a full deep dive into de Coteau and his bizarre oeuvre some day. It feels like A Talking Cat got most of the attention for being so outwardly bizarre, but it’s really just the tip of the iceberg. The guy became a millionaire making dozens of Cinemax-in-the-90s-style softcore gay horror/sci-fi “erotica,” but in the age of streaming internet video. And there’s always a mid-30s sexy lady on the cover. There has to be a story there.

I went to a film conference once in grad school, and one of the presenters in our panel did a talk literally entitled "Gay Poe Films." It was the greatest presentation on film ever seen, I was so happy the entire time.

"Here is De Couteau's The Raven. As you can see it has many gay men, a clear difference from the source material"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

I went to a film conference once in grad school, and one of the presenters in our panel did a talk literally entitled "Gay Poe Films." It was the greatest presentation on film ever seen, I was so happy the entire time.

"Here is De Couteau's The Raven. As you can see it has many gay men, a clear difference from the source material"

That’s wonderful. It’s actually kind of fitting that he would do Poe adaptations, as I think he got his start working with Corman, who probably taught him the “film in your own house to cut costs” trick.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He did A Talking Cat? Now that I think about it that film does look pretty similar to bigfoot versus db cooper

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

That’s wonderful. It’s actually kind of fitting that he would do Poe adaptations, as I think he got his start working with Corman, who probably taught him the “film in your own house to cut costs” trick.

He did quite a few of them. For example,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDbKtfT03RU

quote:

Seven students answer an advertisement to participate in an experiment to explore how the sensation of pain can be eliminated. Arriving at a secluded institute, they are welcomed by mysterious scientist JB Divay. Initially, JB's fascination with hypnosis, clocks and cactus plants are dismissed by the group as mere eccentricities. But as the students begin to disappear one by one, they begin to question JB's true intentions. In a final showdown, plucky Jason confronts JB over her deranged practices only to discover boyfriend Kyle strapped to a table beneath JB's final experiment, inches away from the razor's edge...

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

lornekates posted:

Suggestion for a re-cut, all of which include editing out Doug:

1) Just a 15 minute loop of you slamming down the VCR and jamming the A Talking Cat dvd in.
2) The review, but have Phelan overlay OldMan on top of Doug, and replace all of Doug's dialog with "EEEeeeEEeeEeeeEEeeeeEEeeeEEeeeeeeeEEEeeE"
3) The review, with the audio muted. All dialog is replaced with random public-domain sound clips from early 1900s Scandinavian radio dramas. Then send it to Brad to subtitle it.
4) The review, except instead of a scripted review it's a Movie Nights episode, and instead of the original dialog it's your own dialog, and instead of A Talking Cat it's literally any other movie you want to do. Also, change the title of the episode.

Replace Doug with Christopher Plummer.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i can't believe jim sterling's entire career as a video game pundit was just a scheme to get involved in wrestling

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Lornekates, Jackula is one of those types who says they're not with gatorade due to the harassment angle but does believe what they believe.

At least going by the streams I saw from him.

And yeah his videos are real quality which is a shame.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Mokinokaro posted:

Lornekates, Jackula is one of those types who says they're not with gatorade due to the harassment angle but does believe what they believe.

I'll keep that in mind and reserve final judgement. As I said, I haven't watched any of his streams since he stopped doing scripted reviews so :shrug guy emoji:

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I feel duped and betrayed over how these people are not actually friends.
I'm more confused that anyone is so invested in this thing that they've been talking about it for about 30 odd pages now.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Gorn Myson posted:

I'm more confused that anyone is so invested in this thing that they've been talking about it for about 30 odd pages now.

Some of the people in this thread are (or were) members of the site so it's not surprising people would care

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Gorn Myson posted:

Parasocial relationships, my man!

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

Some of the people in this thread are (or were) members of the site so it's not surprising people would care
They should set up a WhatsApp group instead, much easier

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
There's something about Internet personality drama that really interests me to a perverse extent. Dunno why but I'm basically that Michael Jackson gif. with the popcorn.

Not to say that I find sexual assault an "entertaining" subject. Not at all. But I do enjoy seeing asshats crumble slowly by their own hands.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Elisa and Yomarz have both left CA. There are now 11 shows left on the "Shows" dropdown, not including "Archived Shows".

If you really want a crushing look at how much things have changed, Larry posted this. This is the website from about 3 1/2 years ago, just before the first exodus really took hold.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m holding out for Guru Larry to be the last listed contributor, simply because he either forgot he was an affiliate or lost the email address he was given as a contact.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

It's almost like a Battle Royal, and the plucky Yomarz and Elisa have just been thrown over the top rope. Whoever's the last left on the menu will win a gigantic trophy, which Mike Michaud will promptly smash over their heads with the help of Doug and Rob, his goons. Cue "No Chance In Hell"

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Kim Justice posted:

Elisa and Yomarz have both left CA. There are now 11 shows left on the "Shows" dropdown, not including "Archived Shows".

If you really want a crushing look at how much things have changed, Larry posted this. This is the website from about 3 1/2 years ago, just before the first exodus really took hold.

And FYI:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Come on Bennett, if you can lose 190 pounds you can lose channel awful

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I thought he left already. But yes, ditching Doug is a great way to loose 200 pounds of dead weight.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

I thought he left already. But yes, ditching Doug is a great way to loose 200 pounds of dead weight.

He hasn't commented on things at all. His twitter's full of wrestling stuff as usual.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Hmmm.... well, we know that Blockbuster, Brad, Angry Joe, Guru Larry post regularly. I wonder about the others?

Toons These Days: Posted something in March, but there was a gap from November to March of nothing. They somehow didn't get "We're please to announce"-ed off the site for missing the 2-per-month.

Bargain Boy: (aka That One Guy, since that's what the page says)? Seems to be in the middle of a Hellblade LP, so that's an easy 2 a month.

Battle Geek Plus: pumping out a video a week and-- wow, a crossover with Doug about the CD-i Link game, something no one has ever done before! Really scraping the bottom for crossovers.

Gaming Wildlife: I'll say again, gently caress these gatorades. I don't care about them. They've also missed posting anything in Feb or March, so how are they still on the site? Oh, and I'm sure their last video is a wonderful piece of respectful comedy. "Leaked Audio: Disney and Rian Johnson’s phone call about The Last Jedi". From a group of Hungry Hungry Gators. Yup.

Masoko X: Puts out a video every day or so. Someone mentioned he's active on a different aggregate site?

Sage: hitting 2 a month with his reviews

Screen Crashers: Nothing in January or February, so way past the 2-a-month. Their last one was a The Last Jedi vlog. And before that a video with the word "parody" in it, so I'm instantly turned off. Maybe it isn't so bad? OH it's a parody of a trailer, back to being turned off. But maybe one more chance? Oh the description is one of those "OMG NETFLIX RUINED EVERYHING" things about anime. I'm out.

And that's everyone who is left. In theory, if the rules were as important as CA says they are (unspoken: when enforced upon female creators), then 3 of those creators should already be gone.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I'm still kind of amazed that anyone still gives a drat about Angry Joe. He's one of the most obnoxious speakers I've ever heard on youtube.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
An obnoxious YouTuber being popular? That's absolutely unprecedented.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

BigglesSWE posted:

I'm still kind of amazed that anyone still gives a drat about Angry Joe. He's one of the most obnoxious speakers I've ever heard on youtube.

Gonna play devil's advocate, I don't watch the vast majority of his videos but my god has he grown. I don't think the guy broke 100k views back in the day, and now he is getting at least 2 mil per angry review. I wouldn't think Joe would have gotten to be as big as he is now compared to anyone else on the website.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
So since the CApocalypse (not to be confused with Chez Apocalypse) is in a pretty stable state, any chance of getting the 4.0 thread on page 1000? Unless we're waiting indefinitely for CA to die or something.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Erod might actually be the one person who legitimately has no idea what's going on.

He doesn't have Twitter, his personal website is on Angelfire (yes, seriously), no one's asking about it in his video comments or on his Patreon community, hasn't posted to his Facebook since December, and I don't think I ever saw him talk in either of the Skype chats. He might just be off in his own world and won't even know something's been up until it's over.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

-You hear that CA is imploding?
-CA still exist?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

FoldableHuman posted:

Erod might actually be the one person who legitimately has no idea what's going on.

He doesn't have Twitter, his personal website is on Angelfire (yes, seriously), no one's asking about it in his video comments or on his Patreon community, hasn't posted to his Facebook since December, and I don't think I ever saw him talk in either of the Skype chats. He might just be off in his own world and won't even know something's been up until it's over.

Enviable.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm sure at least one of Erod's fans has emailed him about this.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Mraagvpeine posted:

I'm sure at least one of Erod's fans has emailed him about this.

Maybe they wrote him on AIM.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Linear Zoetrope posted:

So since the CApocalypse (not to be confused with Chez Apocalypse) is in a pretty stable state, any chance of getting the 4.0 thread on page 1000? Unless we're waiting indefinitely for CA to die or something.

At the very least, this thread must hit 1000.

As long as #ChangeTheChannel is going on, the next thread won't be free of the discussion of it. So, y'know, whatever everyone's most comfortable with.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Brad's been really defensive of the Walkers in the comments of his new review. I'm guessing that's because he did a con with them this weekend, and probably had a good time together.

In non Channel Awesome imploosion news, for some reason some episodes of AVGN are on Amazon Prime Video? I dodn't know why, since they're on youtube, but I guess its nice of James is getting paid Amazon money. They've also got the movie to stream, and I haven't seen it yet, so it'll be nice to finally watch. I'm going to assume that James remembered to give his cast and crew a craft table and water in the desert though.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

OldMemes posted:

Brad's been really defensive of the Walkers in the comments of his new review. I'm guessing that's because he did a con with them this weekend, and probably had a good time together.

Well, he has already said his stance on Twitter.

And the refrain put out by #ChangeTheChannel is don't loving harass anyone who has decided to stay or leave.

His best bet, really, is to just reply to any comment with a link to that tweet, and be done with it.

Or say "this comment section is a garbage fire and you know it" and turn off comments. Because some days it just isn't worth it.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

OldMemes posted:

In non Channel Awesome imploosion news, for some reason some episodes of AVGN are on Amazon Prime Video? I dodn't know why, since they're on youtube, but I guess its nice of James is getting paid Amazon money. They've also got the movie to stream, and I haven't seen it yet, so it'll be nice to finally watch. I'm going to assume that James remembered to give his cast and crew a craft table and water in the desert though.

I mean, almost certainly considering James literally works in the field AVGN aside and knows how it runs. Local TV commercials IIRC, but still. Also, he paid SFX people instead of running a contest.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Gorn Myson posted:

Not doing much more than retweeting you here but I genuinely have never heard of Channel Awesome or any of the names involved, so all of this is like dropping midseason into a TVIV thread--kinda fascinating

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

BigglesSWE posted:

I put it down to him being a good deal more likable in his 'out-of-character' type stuff, at least for me those have been his enjoyable videos.

DoctorGonzo1969
Apr 8, 2018

Last I'd checked, MasakoX hadn't posted his videos on the site in a few days for some reason. He pumps out a video a day on YouTube but he hasn't uploaded to the site since April 3rd. I'm assuming he's soon to drop from CA as well.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Yardbomb posted:

I put it down to him being a good deal more likable in his 'out-of-character' type stuff, at least for me those have been his enjoyable videos.

Yeah when he's not putting on the persona Joe's kind of a lovable doofus and I haven't heard anything bad about him.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
We are one post away from 1000 pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Deez Nutz

• Locked thread