Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Libertarians are garbage people who fail the lowest-bar test for humanity, basically. There is sociological data to back this up as well, that self-identified libertarians say they care less about others and really do once in experimental circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mraagvpeine posted:

Are there any video games with moral choice systems where the "good" side isn't the right side?

America's Army 1-3

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That x-files game is great though, if for no other reason than the character you play uses an Apple Newton to organize his notes.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That beats the DC Giant White Hand

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I'm afraid to ask, but what was the thing with Mara Wilson? I know she did some videos with Lindsay Ellis that seemed to go pretty well, and it seem like maybe Wilson was trying to make herself into a youtube video person.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Testekill posted:

The Critic made some jokes about hating Mara Wilson in some of his videos and his fans went overboard and made her life poo poo. His way of apologising is letting her get one up on him in one of his reviews but he never actually came out and said to his fans "holy poo poo guys, I have no problem with Mara Wilson as a person so could you leave her alone?"

That seems to be a common reoccurring situation, Doug doesn't call his fans out on their poo poo. Mara Wilson isn't even trying to be a youtube person, she works for Publicolor and is a writer on the side.

That is appalling. Mara Wilson hasn't even been in a movie since 1995. Why would these horrible loving nerds go harass a private citizen for being a bad kid actor? And she was great in that video with Lindsay Ellis' gang where they ate dunkaroos, by which I mean she was a normal person with funny things to say about Fruit by the Foot.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mraagvpeine posted:

Are there any "classics" in internet reviewing?

The oldest stuff is text, from a time before streaming video. Here are the first internet reviews I can remember finding, back in the last century.

http://www.badmovies.org/
http://www.syndicateconsortium.com/sites/autumntysko/

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Speaking of AICN, there's Vern, a reviewer who's been doing it like 20 years:

http://www.outlawvern.com/

And then there's the guy he stole his gimmick from: Joe Bob Briggs aka John Bloom, who I've been reading since he had an e-mail list for his reviews, who doesn't really count because he has pre-internet books and newspaper columns:

http://www.joebobbriggs.com/

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There's also Neill Cumpston, who I think was really Patton Oswalt:

https://urchin.earth.li/~twic/Neill_Cumpston.html

His Matrix review was titled "YOU WILL poo poo"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The thing to remember about Harry Knowles is that he began writing about movies because his back was crushed by a cart full of comic book memorabilia that ran him over as he was leaving a comic book convention. He was bedridden for a year and had only his laptop and its DSL connection for human contact or entertainment. That is also how he became morbidly obese and began wearing hawaiian shirts.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He can't walk because 500 pounds of Moon Knight comics and Spock Space Helmets powdered several of his vertebrae. It is legitimately an origin story.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Miss Wallace posted:

Matt's an awesome guy as well, so throw my recommendation there too. In a similar vein, I've always enjoyed I-Mockery's movie reviews.

Matt is a real sweetheart and his writing really resurrects the feeling of what it is to be a kid watching a CBS special presentation with that old spinning logo, or what it feels like to get a new weird toy. It's the only time I've ever really been seduced by nostalgia and not cynical or dismissive of it. I've been reading him since 2000, and it's been fun to see him grow up before my eyes and sharpen his voice by writing silly things each week.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

poparena posted:

My newest requested review is up on "Who is Bugs Potter?" by Gordon Korman, a book whose main protagonist is completely blind to everyone's feelings and get's everything he wants without consequence. I hate you, Bugs Potter.

Written by a literal 14-year-old, I'm pretty sure. Korman got his start as a middle-school kid in the 70s after winning some kind of fiction contest, I believe for that book.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

stillvisions posted:

It was "This can't be happening at MacDonald Hall" that he started out by writing in middle school.

In grade school those books were pretty much required reading since Korman went to the local high school so the teachers were all over us reading books about students being assholes, oddly enough. Not that Ferris Bueller characters weren't a thing, but he really had his finger on the pulse of the early grade school wish fulfillment of being a pretty selfish and horrible person yet it turning out awesome and everyone loving him in the end, or at least his books of that era did; I grew out of his books at some point while reading one and realizing I felt pity/secondhand embarrassment for the secondary character who acts as narrator, because they were always being left cleaning up the mess of the "hero" character. Hell, even Ferris Bueller had a brief moment of regret.

He actually gave a talk at my elementary school. I remember it being the first time an adult ever addressed me without filtering or controlling everything he said. He was just having fun talking about being a kid and growing up being kind of a jackoff with no idea where he was going or what he wanted to be. The only specific part I really remember was somebody asked why there were always two girls in the cover art for every one of his books, even when there were more or fewer or no female characters and he said flat-out that the publisher requested it because they thought they could trick girls into buying the books that way.

To an 11-year-old he was a cool dude. He was probably in his late 20s then, younger than I am now. It's weird to think about.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hey news flash bad people are still protected by US law and don't deserve to have their rights violated.

They were just a couple of songwriters, who came to Ishtar to break into show business.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Miss Wallace posted:

There was one instance in the Signs review that really bugged me. Okay, that's a lie, there was probably more than one instance, but this one in particular annoyed me. There's a scene where Mel Gibson is talking to the cop lady and he's distraught about something, and Doug was confused that she knew he was distraught without asking him if he's distraught. Something like that. You know, because reading someone's emotional state is impossible apparently.

I don't know a nice way to ask this, but how does Doug feel about trains?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hbomberguy posted:

You know what? You're right. I'm being a petty rear end in a top hat and wasting people's time. I really am sorry. I'll do better in future.

By way of an apology, if any of you have anything in particular you want to see in the next Sarkeesian Effect video, let me know.

Track his pocket square evolution to see if it correlates with the state of his facial hair.

He looks a lot closer to a regular out-and-proud dude without the beard. Let's hope he learns to accept himself for who he is soon.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

KKall posted:

THESE MEN ARE PAWNS

I can't believe these two men may control the fate of the middle east.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cubey posted:

I can't believe this cat may control the fate of the middle east

Your cat? How did she get to be your cat?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Asuron posted:

It's actually a subtle representation of the bourgeois keeping the proletariat's down and that by breaking free of the colour blue, which is just putting the lower class into a state of tranquility where they don't rebel against the system, we will have a truly classless society.

I'm not surprised you didn't get that though, it's a pretty challenging avatar to fully understand.

Google the name "Derek Jarman" before being an rear end about it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

My life for you. MY LIFE FOR YOU.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Keromaru5 posted:

The other day I read Patton Oswalt's interview in Salon (yes, they made up), and he basically said this is the correct response.

You're telling me that you would pass up the opportunity to antagonize that little poo poo? You wouldn't flick him in the balls at the supermarket or dump a cherry icee onto his head if you saw him walking on the lower level of a shopping mall? I'd Billy Zabka that closet-case all day long like it was 1986 and I was the rich kid in a salmon polo shirt.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

DStecks posted:

That would only make him feel completely justified, you realize. When you really break it down, MRAs are men who believe they're hard done by, who think the world is controlled by women who hate them. I get that you're having a funny here, but HBomberguy's video is the best response to guys like this: just point and laugh.

Yeah, but they're just such perfect failures of toxic masculinity that it seems appropriate to bully them for falling so far short of who they're trying to be. Like, calling someone gay shouldn't be an insult because there's nothing wrong with being gay, but calling this guy gay is appealing because he wants so badly to live in a world where that is an insult and where he gets to be the jock throwing it around with impunity.

I dunno maybe that's a really sick impulse underneath everything.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

littleorv posted:

Honestly I think Hbomb is just trolling this thread for kicks. I've watched how stuff plays out in here and it looks very easy to do and you get some great responses from people who take poo poo too seriously.

Keep on keeping on Hbomb you are hilarious.

These men are pawns!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Gyges posted:

The vast majority of religious beliefs are based on the existence of a literal being or collection of beings of divine nature. Even among the more shamanistic faiths there are generally actual spirits of whatever that are real. It really only among "spiritual" groups, select Buddhist sects, even more select Hindu sects, and the various philosophy "religions" that you're going to get general agreement that the divine is a concept and not a being.

Granted the divine is rarely a literal being of organic material, though it can manifest itself thusly, but rather a non corporeal being. Christianity even goes out of it's way to have a spirit, an avatar, and a being beyond puny human comprehension in order to cover all the bases!

I think you'll find that most mainline American Protestants don't really give a poo poo and are fine with the Bible being stories that use metaphor and God being a feeling or whatever.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Ishtar trailer is awful. It oversells the story to a ridiculous degree like it's too complex to get without Charles Grodin spelling everything out for you. Compare it to the trailer for Spies Like Us, which has kind of a similar premise but isn't garbage.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Infamous Sphere posted:

Also, RE the Puss 'N Boots review - a Christmas Puppy *isn't* by David DeCoteau?

I think you meant to ask, "a Christmas Puppy *isn't* by David DeCoteau!?!"

He is however, hard at work on 1313: Lonely Mrs. Claus' Christmas Puppies

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That movie where he gets carsick and kicks a missile headed for FDR and Ronnie Cox is the 1990s president deserves like a 90-minute RLM-level dissection.

Also the 60s cartoon. And I think he was in a movie serial when he was brand new during World War II. There's probably some really interesting stuff in there about changing American attitudes toward secret military experimentation on human subjects in the different versions of his origin between the 40s and now. The comics recently (circa 2000s) connected him to the Tuskegee experiments, for example.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He had a cat as his animal companion. That plus Blast Hardcheese using his motorcycle's windshield is worth a mention.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cyron posted:

I am watching this when i get home. thunder in paradise is the real life Knight Boat and i am happy that i saw this cheesy show growing up.

Good news for Hulkamaniacs in the English-speaking world:

It's 5 episodes, pilot included.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It's filed under art-house cinema:

http://www.amazon.com/Thunder-Paradise-Drinks-German-Release/dp/B000EMGGV6

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mraagvpeine posted:

The bully in Amazing Spider-Man was done well. I think; it's been a while since I saw it.

I can't get over the idea of some kid having the nickname "Flash" in the 21st century unless he's a sex offender. Ideas about what makes someone popular or an outcast have really changed since the 60s.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Joel left because of some undisclosed disagreement with Jim Mallon, who is the only MST3K guy to not end up doing Cinematic Titanic or Rifftrax--and the one guy none of the Best Brain alumni will discuss. Take that how you will.

Mallon retain the copyrights to all MST3K stuff and tried to do his own web series with a flash-animated Crow and Tom. It was garbage.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why are so many of the best ones 80s sci-fi? I vote for Time Chasers (almost got a job at Castleton once) and Overdrawn at the Memory Bank.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I like Joel because he reminds me of Lorenzo Music's calm, comforting voice.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Beast of Yucca Flats had that helpful narrator.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How old is that kid, 15? It kind of sounds like he's doing it under duress, like his mom yelled at him and told him to tell his internet friends that he doesn't use bad words in his e-mails. Is he representative of the people driving harassment of Anita Sarkeesian, because if they're all high-school kids with no idea how life works then suddenly their reliance on weird conspiracy theories makes a lot more sense.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

admataY posted:

Moderation in itself isn't a great achievement . " Healing the rift" between awful people and those they harass is not a worthy goal .

Also why should actual adults pursuing real careers feel compelled to achieve rapprochement with misfit children incapable of the intellectual sophistication to know that they make dumb arguments?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This seems like an odd thing to get upset about :

quote:

For a long time I was afraid to publicly say what I really believed. Then Anita Sarkeesian encouraged the audience in an XOXO talk to "Listen and believe women" who claim harassment and abuse. Only women. That hit a nerve. I know three different men who have been falsely accused of abuse, and they had their lives dragged through the mud because too many people just took the woman's word regarding what happened.

To be clear, it's not my belief that they didn't do the things they're accused of. I know they didn't do it because I was a witness to some of the events that the accusers twisted. These men suffered social recriminations and in some cases, lost work. They became victims of female abuse, specifically a phenomenon known as relational aggression. This has made me concerned that we're not, collectively, keeping a close enough eye on the phenomenon of male victims of abuse because we limit our understanding of abuse to something that men do to women. Men do get abused, by women as well as other men. They aren't given nearly enough support by the system because men are expected to be able to take care of themselves due to extremely gendered assumptions about male power. This is is the stuff we're talking about when you hear feminists say that patriarchy hurts men too.

There's nothing in what she links or quotes that suggests the sentiment is exclusive of men. It's just describing something that happened to a woman, and her account of the thing that happened to men that she knows sounds like some kind of false accusation and not the kind of thing mentioned in the clip.

"Relational aggression" typically describes malicious gossip or rumor-mongering--not exactly bomb threats or having dozens of pizzas delivered to your house or having teenagers make harassing phone calls to your elderly parents.

It's also gross that she calls anyone who disagrees with her a "proxy" for Anita Sarkeesian, when I think they're just people acting of their own volition rather than as a part of some organized action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

PresidentBeard posted:

First off I know that she's wrong, and tilting at windmills. The whole "false accusations are the real evil" is the most stereotypical conservative strawman there is. However patriarchal society does make it very difficult for male victims of many kinds of abuse to be taken seriously.

It's just weird to bring that argument into the discussion in the first place. It's not like anyone minimized the suffering of men under patriarchy in the first place, so I don't see how mentioning it constitutes a critique at all. Nobody who's read literally any introductory book about feminism would disagree that men suffer under patriarchy, and failed aspirational masculinity describes at least half of the gamergators, if not 90% or more. Ditto for women turning to "relational aggression" because they've been taught to avoid confrontation as a means of conflict resolution. Literally feminism 101.

• Locked thread