Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

He's one of those reviewers that tries too hard to be funny, but otherwise can be alright when not stuck to that. I can't watch more than 2 videos in a row with him without going "Oh, too edgy for me" or changing to that picture of that Sonic the Hedgehog robot with the "No Fun Allowed" sign.

If we are adding folk like KimbleJustice, let's add Doctor Sparkle (Chrotendo) and Greg Sewart (Generation-16) to the roll as folk doing console specific anthology series that take ages to make a single episode, shall we?

Kunster fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Or the director watched the Shia LaBouf videoclip and went "Oh, I want that."

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I guess he missed Douchey NitPick.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Brad Jones took on American Sniper. Given that he doesn't know much about the subject of the movie, he's doing that "This is not political at all so I'll just see this as a movie" view.

It's not really a "gently caress this guy for doing this" but more of a "I've been kinda expecting this for this sort of group, but if you wanna a view of the movie that isn't gonna talk about whatever can be experienced without knowing anything at all other than the movie itself there ya go" sorta thing.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 21, 2015

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

The subject matter is a horrible, horrible person, and the movie was based on a shoddy biography.

Brad has a point on the sense that the movie is alright if you go with it not aware of poo poo at all (or just don't care about it) about the subject matter itself tho. (Which makes me want to give him a slap over the head over him freaking about the Interview getting a temporary halt on the release which made every imbecile on the US see this as North Korea stopping the movie from getting released.)

Kunster fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 21, 2015

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

ZDT showed torture as unpleasant but useful and arguably vital to taking down Osama. Given the evil, incompetent fucks that the real Maya, Alfreda Bikowsky, and her team were revealed to be (and the not-insignificant amount of evidence that ZDT was their attempt to put a positive spin on their actions before poo poo hit the fan), it's legit to criticise the movie for how it handled it.

It doesn't help that it glossed over the other intelligence operations that didn't involve torture that were the actual leads to OBL's location (There's corpses and blood on there, so watch out). That and the marketing doing this.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I really enjoyed the latest Prev_Recorded stream with Rich Evans's fiancee. It sorta shifted the dynamic a bit from "uninterested/contemptuous" to "Hey let's bounce words with someone who both seems to have fun with games and knows quite a fair bunch about this other stuff".

And from watching the previous ones, I'm kinda crossing my fingers that they don't go again to "This game is too slow or too simple, therefore the gaming industry is dead and you are all fanboys."

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

PewDiePie is a highly energetic, super fan communicative and prolific commentator which is perfect for what is basically a small highly energetic podcast with a game behind it (Like a morning radio show of some sort). Argumentum Ad Temperantiam The Show's argument would mean that a longplay of Wonderful 101 or Metal Gear Rising would be more far more views than Chip and Ironicus's lp of such.

I don't like PDP, but I can see that folk use criticism of such to excuse others' horrible streams or lps.

Slate Action posted:

'Oh man, I wonder what Jay and Mike will have to say about the Oscar Nomi--' BOYHOOD? BOYHOOD! BOYHOOD BOYHOOD BOYHOOD

e: I've realized that while I find Jay and Mike really funny, unless they're talking about something like Jack & Jill I actually kind of despise them as film critics.

Mostly because they sort of learned from the same whatever as Brad Jones did which was to milk a joke as much as possible and that only sort of applied to Mr. Plinkett reviews.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

There was an interesting breakdown about it on a recent Animation Dissection episode on how that was one way to get movies to at least sort of push boundaries and how for animation, it's sort of a big deal since it can lead to studios getting more funds/publicity. You aren't going to see let's say The Rabbi's Cat on the Oscars since the Academy doesn't quite recognize cartoons as not just as a thing for kids, but there's steps here and there.

On the other hand, it gets hosed up when both are stated, at the same time. "This is a circlejerk until stuff I don't like wins and stuff I like doesn't win."

Kunster fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 24, 2015

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Mike has written quite a bunch of stuff on how MRA / PUA poo poo helped him become a better person and if you swing the words "Free Speech" in front of his eyes he says stupid poo poo like "Target not having GTA 5 is akin to book burning". Also he isn't "anti-bullying" as much as he has a dork persecution complex.

If he's not GG, he's got quite an explanation to do.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Vicas posted:

Cheese is great as a motivational speaker for awkward teen dudes who have no idea what to do in life but drat if every single article isn't the exact same thing (aka Cracked dot com)

Their writing is kind of weird on the sense that it both expects you to have some sort of background (So that the title guy and such can work thru something that can *blow your mind*), but not too much so that a lot of their stuff doesn't get too hard to write. That being said, I get the feeling they've been slowly learning from past mistakes and they've been trying to put less articles per day and have been less about thumping their chest as an unified editorial voice. So you don't get poo poo like one article horrified, just HORRIFIED that a reporter might have had talked with a Taliban enforcer and then another article where a reporter talks about being with them, and both written as "WE CRACKED BELIEVE IN THE FREEDOMS".

They're still a bit afraid to switch into something like a Sans-VDARE-affliated-founder Vice, so they get very wordy "listicles" that could have worked better as a straight article and a "title guy".

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

(Post shows now!)

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Benny the Snake posted:

I read Vice :shrug: Is the gooncensus not good about it?

Gavin McInnes, the founder, writes for VDARE and is somewhat horrifying with transfolk.

Otherwise, they're more ambitious and they do send a lot of people on location, which may be a good thing or not depending on your stance on giving the MTV treatment on areas of conflict.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Did F-Plus stop doing poo poo like supporting Autism Speaks?

Arcsquad12 posted:

The thing about Sage's review of Fireflies is how he mainly reads things from a westerner's interpretation of anime. He doesn't so much go into the detail of what was going on in Japan at the time (though he does bring it up, mind you) as he criticizes the film for shortcomings involving character development and changes done in the adaptation. I don't have a problem with a film that wants to educate people, but I agree that it shouldn't have been done based on someone's personal memoirs. But again this is being taken from an outsider's perspective, where the rest of the world sees an anti war film that Takahata has vehemently denied allegations of.

You know it would have sort of helped if he had brought up the whole "Homeless were being murdered by youngsters out of ennui" rather than "They were questioning Japanese Authority and old timers". (Which, given how he looked at Jin-Roh, sort of should have told me.)

It's not just Sage, but a lot of pro-military complex types also go for the half-told ordeal to push it as a "This is actually a Don't Question the Military Because You Don't Know poo poo" movie.

BigRed0427 posted:

Part of me kind of wants to see this because I have the first one (It was a gift). If you love baffling bad movies then you need to see Planes. Even though it's a racing movie it has this weird fixation on the military including A Vietnam flashback played completely straight I think it's a great example of the worst that can happen when a movie is seen as a product just to move toys and poo poo and no one thinks about what is actually IN the movie.

Given that the whole movie is about the Plane wanting to become a military plane on the first part, yeah it sort of makes sense.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Feb 3, 2015

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Well they do read gross poo poo, but they included autistic people's criticism on Autism Speaks as "gross poo poo".

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I dunno, he seemed really sympathetic at the stormtroopers on the movie.

Equeen posted:

Wait, are you talking about the episode where they read stuff from mother.com? I'm pretty the "critics" that F-Plus mocked are also the same group of people who think vaccines can cause autism.

Nah, it was one from a while before where one talks on how abusive the measures endorsed by Autism Speaks were (altho one compared it to those Homosexuality Repair therapy things, which yeah I could see why they picked that quote).

Kunster fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 3, 2015

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I do because AS pulls poo poo like defending mental institutions that put shock collars on kids because they shake their hands and taze a kid over and over again for not making his bed. And F-Plus painted the objection as "Man, internet weirdos am I right", prefacing it as a good organization that helps people.

I know folk find me odd for being peeved about it, but it's more of an ingrained problem with this sort of stuff than exclusively F+.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 3, 2015

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Hence why I asked. There could have been a mailbag or a comment thread response where they go "Yeah we looked better into why folk objected to that org and we can see why. We apologize if we came across as being supportive of such" or whatever that I missed.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

The man's feed reads like Richard Dawkins's output to some level, so in a way his rant is a bit akin to how folk quote either the honey airport tweet, or the "I'll never be owned" tweet, or the dogs engaging in full 69 tweet as less as a "He's terrible because this" but more as a cutesy cherry on top.

I mean for crissakes, he managed to weird out The Extra Credits folk, which I thought it was impossible.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Nah, it's a subreddit. The "Moderate Wing of GG".

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

The problem with dissing Kotaku is that usually the response tends to be poo poo from people that barely read the news, so you get stupid poo poo like people saying that only Gaming Journalism is the sole one where corporations can skew the "truth" and then tries to tie themselves with the loving American Enterprise Institute. It's like getting angry at Justin Bieber and then solely attempt to push Anal oval office as a standard for music.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

OH I won't, I just am warning for folk going for place devoted entirely to pooping on those sorts.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

How are you guys hearing that for the first time lol.

Stuff reminds me of this poo poo.

(Edit: Removed the whole thing about Khan, realized what Hbomb was getting at)

Kunster fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 17, 2015

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Tatum Girlparts posted:

This train of thought is dumb as poo poo but man poo poo like that comic bug me too because it's just one big lazy 'nope not gonna put any thought at all into things I consume FART'. Also using Poe for that is pretty loving great, there's a reason most lazy assholes stick to generic 'the drapes are blue' jokes instead of accidentally using a dude who used tons of metaphors and poo poo.

Yeah my point is that anyone with a bare knowledge of what Poe was going thru at the time could figure "Hey, maybe the raven poo poo does mean something Other than liking birds" and that somehow this guy got a degree on History of loving Art without one of his lecturers punching him in the mouth for this.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

And then there's the problem where folk try to blame their lack of knowledge on taxes on school trying to "teach them useless things" like a second language, basic biology, a bit more profound history or math that isn't automatically done within one operation on a regular calculator.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Feb 19, 2015

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I still giggle at when Ryan North shat on the Plinkett reviews a while back and folk on a previous IC thread tried to pin the criticism as a "nobody on tumblr".

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

"RLM gets a lotta dosh from their fans" is a bit of a poo poo point when I can just go "Felix Arvid Ulf Kjellberg makes around 2-3 million a year from doing stuff on youtube" and "Guy Fieri Anything".

Please note that I'm not saying that RLM is terrible at what they do.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 19, 2015

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I am flipping a coin between the Lorax rant to the strawman executives about sticking to artistic expression or the segment on Airborne where he looks at the main character surfing and berates him for surfing and missing surfing days after he moves to an inland snowy town.

I mean the latter's fun, but the earlier one just gets more and more hosed up if you look at what he did months before that.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Tracula posted:

I dunno if it's cliche to say but Doug seems to simply not -get- things a lot of times. I know the Nostalgia Critic is played up for laughs but he does put a lot of himself into it. I don't know how he doesn't understand the main character being a pig in Porco Rosso or people wanting the dog to live in ID4. I'm sure those are the most obvious examples but there just seems to be a disconnect between Doug and what a lot of things everyone else understands or can just give a pass.

The dog part got more baffling with some internet critics quoting that part as a good example of his analysis skilz. I remember at least Rap Critic citing that as something that got him to watch Doug.

Him attempting to understand trauma is quite a hoot. "I don't understand why someone whose kid was sniped in front of him would be rambling nearly an hour before! What's this pretentious diatribe about children???" "Why did a girl retract to herself after witnessing in rapid succession her family dog attempt to kill her and her brother killing the dog in front of her in defense? Why did she freak out at big rear end corn field circles appearing out of nowhere???!"

It also told me a lot about him the way he introduced people skating or surfing as being just exercises to boost one's confidence and then trying to pin a segment where the kid tries to surf as a "fetish" thing.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

Ugggh, I've been rewatching some of Nostalgia Critic's crossover videos, and dammit they are annoying whenever the guest star knows a hell of a lot more than Doug does. Any time someone might have something insightful to say, the script has NC shutting them up because they're "boring". See all of his Star Trek reviews, especially his one with Linkara, or the Digimon Movie with JO where she tried to go into detail about the animation and got shut up. Maybe I want to hear something interesting rather than needless nitpicking once in a while.

That poo poo lead to Josh Hadley having a swearing fit at Diamanda Hagan, thinking she was making GBS threads on Heavy Metal when she just had her hands tied next to Doug and not be able to elaborate on well, anything. She guested on another episode and Josh started by apologizing to her.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 20, 2015

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Didn't Doug want to stop doing NC after To Boldly Flee, but the stuff he really wanted to do like Demo Reel didn't get much in the way of hits?

Now you get why I'm so partial to the Lorax review. Keep that in mind, keep in mind the actors involved, and watch the final rant about creativity again.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

The reason why I didn't go "It's hosed up that Rich used that term" is because given just how much he shat his pants over being uncomfy with some hosed up stuff, he probably resaw the footage and went "Welp that's messed up". Also because if the reaction to "Their criticism of scifi movies is not exactly perfect" was well, that, then God forbid what would happen if the thread would react to "That's a rather unforutnate word choice from the most media darling of all the RLM crew".

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Has anyone been watching Gamegrump's playthrough of Legend of Zelda 2? It's actually been pretty amazing. Dan is killing it at that game, and he reminded me of why I liked it when I was a kid.

Dan seems to be that right combination for that stuff to work. I'm also glad they have a place to store stuff that isn't necessarily fully related to their videos, so you get stuff like this.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I do go for the way one deals with nonsense. If someone shits on transfolk or black folk or muslims to some point, gets on where they're being lovely and makes an honest attempt to fix their wrongs, I won't be so harsh than someone who let's say, start embracing endorsements from V-Dare or starts looking at matters that resulted in big piles of skulls and going "pfffft, tumblr poo poo."

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Speaking of game design talk, Jack and Rich posted a thing about it!

To be frank about the title they chose, they managed to pick one of the least serious CODs that sort of gets more and more goofy about itself. (Plus it's less attractive to "Howcum??? They hate our freedoms?? Go help Noriega with North looking at you from the future" so hoooraaaay)

IronicDongz posted:

I really wish those guys would talk more seriously about game design more often, because they often seem to have viewpoints that are somewhat in opposition but not so much that they can't find common ground. Not like Arin/Jon where they would just talk in circles about "game feel" with Arin completely not understanding the concept of immersion and Jon handwaving aside gameplay complaints.

Or "Tetris is not a videogame" being a thing that isn't grounds for getting laughed at on that circle.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 22, 2015

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

JonTron has stated on the middle of a GameGrumps episode that Tetris was too simple and too quick to pick up to be considered "a real videogame". (Refered to it as an "not a real game, an iphone game") sorta thing.

I did hear some videogame streamers try to pin Tetris as "not a game but rather a concept" as well.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Puppy Time posted:

On that note, I have been enjoying Kinamania's Dendy Chronicles, though his posture makes him look like some kind of horrible circus freak. Not helped by him being skinny as hell anyway. Dude's really good at showing off the complete batshit that is the Dendy Mario library without resorting to screaming at video games and/or boring skits. I'm hoping I don't run out of subbed episodes soon!

He was posted a good while back and somehow the entire presentation adds to the whole experience. It also helps that Kina actually bothers to go around stuff (Him dumping a broken as gently caress Mario rom and using a rom editor to skip odd parts comes to mind) and explain what's going on rather than squint and refer to developers as a bizarre blur really helps with this.

Dude also goes some hosed up wording about asian folk, but I'll just say "Ya I cringe sometimes at the stuff he says but it's more of a thing to consider rather than 100% damnation" here.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 24, 2015

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

That's the attitude I take. Like I said, he's European.

Hey now, we have standards. Standards that are mostly "scruff a good part of the awful poo poo we do to MENA folk under the rug and point on how nice we were to Eusébio", but still, standards. Sort of.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I do recall some video about that particular phenomenon, connecting it some radio folk and a newscaster if I remember well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

An early sub on a video or two had "loving yellow chinks" and "faggots" and stuff like that, but I think Kina fixed that at some point.

PBG gets a lot of crap from being "too gimmicky", but otherwise he's harmless. Some of the criticism is understandable, but nothing too big. The whole "Oh My God he gets a lot of views and has an high energy approach to stuff how dare he" ordeal that I've heard a bunch about him leads to folk doing their LP/streams in a way to contradict which tends to lead to some real tests of endurance.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 25, 2015

• Locked thread