Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Everyone shut the gently caress up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuN6GfUix7c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I think we just need a more steady stream of content really, and people just posting poo poo that they've enjoyed watching and stuff. Like, doesn't even necessarily have to be this great must watch thing...that might get the thread away from the usual few creators like Hbomb, Contra, Lindsay etc. - I mean, they're all fine but they are all kinda the same field and all that. Broaden the horizons a little...I mean, maybe it's time to include the likes of food folk, or vloggers, or techies or other such commentators because as far as I can tell, there's not much of a place for discussion of that sort of thing? And "Internet critic" is kinda outdated nowadays. We're so narrow here that there's only so much we can do before the topic of Spoony (or god help us, some political poo poo) comes up again. In short, this thread isn't right if we're not covering people like Reviewbrah who can make talking about loving bottled water for 10 minutes interesting and funny.

Maybe also the cutting back of shitposters who are only interested in fighting or policing who people like ("shame this guy said this on the Internet 10 years ago!" seriously gently caress off pal), but that might be asking too much.

I watch this guy, The Food Ranger, all the freaking time these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw_tJOwZmac

He kinda always has the same "Mmmmmmm!!!!" reaction to everything he eats which is kinda ripe for piss-taking, but he's enthusiastic, speaks drat near fluent Mandarin as far as I can tell, and all his videos look great (this one's an especially gorgeous example, 'cause China's just that sort of country). I watch them and think that I took the wrong path, 'cause I wanna roll around China and Southeast Asia making a living from eating all this good poo poo too.

On a similar note, Mikey Chen (who's got a whole ton of popular channels for vlogging, science and stuff) has his own food channel called Strictly Dumpling - he's not as adventurous as someone like The Food Ranger who will happily sit down in front of a plate of bull testicles (and say "Mmmmmmm!!!"), but he certainly has a lot of character, which helps a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xicfMsSMkBE

May as well complete the trifecta of food travel vloggers with Mark Wiens, who is kind of in the middle between Food Ranger and Strictly Dumpling. He also has the same reaction to most everything he eats, which is to close his eyes, cock his head to the right and pull a really big smile. It's cute. He tends to do a bit more of the high-class stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2mY-DrGGWE

Anyway, enjoy. If you know of other channels like these, please post them as I want more.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Here's a great vid I watched today that isn't the new Pretty Good (although that is...y'know). I love it when folks who seem like everyday vloggers get on some serious Chef's Table type poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkeRhKnROds

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

A new Pretty Good yesterday, a new Dan Bell DEAD MALL SERIES today. We are blessed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGXzE-V61qw

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

BRB, gonna watch all the pretty goods now that I've seen this one.

Can someone explain why the play was so special though? I get that it was vindictive but I'm not a football watcher.

So at that stage of the game, the Eagles had basically won the match - they were up with a minute left to go and on offense, meaning that the Cowboys had zero chance of scoring. Indeed, there'd be more chance of the Cowboys actually scoring if there actually were proper plays , seeing as they could then intercept the ball and turn the game over. In a situation like this, it is common for teams to "Take a knee" as it were, purposefully killing the plays and running the clock down to zero -- it's not just a moral thing to do, it's the strategically correct thing to do. Also -- and this is one of the things about US sport I don't really get -- it's seen as bad sportsmanship, when you've clearly won a game, to "run up" the score and deliver unholy clobberings. And so, the Eagles doing that play was something that had never been done before.

Of course, if you want to see the ultimate Jon Bois video when it comes to running up the score, you need to watch "222-0".

E f b squad represent. Anyway, watch 222-0.

Actually, I'll expand more. I don't get the "running up the score" thing as it's a concept that doesn't really exist in sports that are popular here. If a team's 5-0 up in football, then 9 times out of 10 they'll be going for six and no-one will say that it's a bad show. Same with Rugby and other sports...the only sport I can really think of where "running up the score" would potentially be a bad thing is Cricket, and even then that's a strategic thing -- while you could theoretically score 800 runs in an inning, you've still actually got to leave enough game time to put the other team in bat and bowl them out, otherwise the game will be a draw. So the batting team would usually declare long before they reached such a point.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 29, 2017

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Policing creators who don't have the same opinions on issues you do is one of the reasons why this thread goes to utter poo poo on a regular basis. I don't want to bang on this drum too much but I've seen folks here group people like Armored Skeptic and The Golden One together before - one being a left-leaning skeptic and the other a committed White Nationalist...I dunno, that seems to sum up the knowledge people actually have about the other side here. The anti-SJW's, if you will.

I mean, I don't know this fella at all and "videos about old Internet Critic drama" interest me about as much as Kinder Surprise Egg videos do, but all I'm getting here is "guy responds to bad article written by person who doesn't want August 2014 to end, says that he supported GG, is therefore bad and shouldn't be watched again" and "guy didn't hear of the term "Alt-Right" before Trump campaign happened" (which is probably the case for a lot of people regardless of where their politics lie). How much is that really saying about what's in the video though? And I know that you clarified that this shouldn't say anything bad about MarzGurl, but even the thought of that is kind of irritating in many ways.

It's more understandable if we're talking about a guy who, I dunno, has videos where he'd like to talk to you about the Jewish Question or whatever...but not really video games? Seems extreme.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Annointed posted:

Armoured Skeptic? Left leaning? Bitch he's a sexist piece of poo poo who defends Trump while thinking that feminism is a cult that's "as bad as radical islam aka the most dangerous brown people religion ever." Oh and speaking of GamerGate he also believes that Anita Sarkeesian is a mouthpiece for "extreme leftist views." Oh and the Gender Pay Gap is a myth according to him.

Well, the Trump video was certainly misguided - that's a clear one. Doesn't help that general Politics chat is clearly his weakest ground, especially US Politics...not necessarily for any stance, he just seems misinformed there. And disconnected a fair bit, being Canadian and all. I think you're slightly overegging your representation of his stance on feminism - I've never heard that sort of dialogue from one of his videos, and he tends to be more balanced on several major feminist issues - at least in the videos I've seen of his. I mean, there's quite a few prominent anti-SJW's out there who flat out don't like Skeptic for being a "feminist cucktard" and all that sort of poo poo (Bearing for one, I think Teal Deer as well?). He certainly has disagreements with more extreme elements of 3rd wave feminism, that's true. And Islam (he is a skeptic after all, that might be expected in many ways). I dunno what the "aka the most dangerous brown people religion ever" is about - is that a quote or just something added in? Anita Sarkeesian being a mouthpiece for extreme leftist views...well, she did have Jonathan McIntosh tweeting from the FemFreq account for a while there, didn't she? I don't know enough about the Wage Gap to comment other than there appears to be a lot of levels to it.

EDIT: In the end, my main point was it's a bit silly to pair him up with somebody like The Golden One. That's all, really. For disclosure, I do watch his videos on occasion, along with a few others in said sphere, and as with most things I agree with some things and disagree with others.

Trouble with YT is that honestly, a lot of stuff can be classed as "ideological point scoring" in the end, whether it's Skeptic or Hbomb or whoever. In the case of someone like Hbomb (who I love to death), I mainly enjoy watching for dunking on people like Rocking MrE and Davis Aurini. And there's a similar enjoyment when it comes to someone dunking on, I dunno, the latest Buzzfeed abomination or Riley Dennis or whoever.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 1, 2017

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I really don't know much about Warhammer at all but this guy, 40K Theories, is a pretty good dude who y'all might like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXyW4Y1Ohvw

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The videos of a nerd speculating about potential future plot developments in a miniature sci-fi fantasy wargame and its merchandise is really the peak of internet critics.

"Given this seemingly growing enmity between Chapter Master and Primarch, could Calgar either attempt to secede from the Ultramarines and the Imperiun, or, potentially, even fall to Chaotic corruption? There are several events that take place during the events of the novel Dark Imperium that seem to be hinting towards such an eventual outcome."

Nerdy people talking about nerdy things, on the Internet. OF ALL PLACES.

Can you at least clean up after you get done wanking in the thread this time?

Oh, and to stop this post from being nothing but LOL'ing at BotL, I released a new vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKjfs9hT3f4

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Making "theories" about future plot developments in works of fiction is stupid, doubly so when it relates to miniature sci-fi wargames.

:crossarms: Why are you imagining something like that

...Um, because reasons I guess? People speculate on the future of things they enjoy. It's kinda natural. I mean, I'm sure you would too (that is, if you enjoy anything except going on here and trying to present yourself as cool). Also, my god you're dense

Thread favourite, Mr. Black Magic himself, Hunter S. Clarkson, Good ol' Mr. RegularCarReviews has reviewed a Fire Engine today, whch is certainly an interesting proposition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX4V8xWJyPw

(i propose that every flippant reply to BotL should also include content. Same could also apply to Vosgian Beast)

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Idubbbz releases a new Content Cop and gets the #1 trending video worldwide. Jesus christ, dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bukzXzsG77o

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Just for the sake of accuracy - Tana Mongeau tweeted out unprovoked at IDubz telling him to kill himself over using the N-word. Videos surface of her saying it herself from a couple of years back, IDubz pays to go to a Tana Mongeau meet n greet or whatever, gets a video with her where he says "Say N-word!" and gets kicked out, Tana makes one of her storytime vids exaggerating a whole bunch of things about the event (getting chased around, being gripped onto and stuff like that), Content Cop is released.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

No that is fair to put out the actual timeline and all, good to know the chain of events that happened.

Feels like the thing still boils down to 'this could have not happened if you didn't go follow someone younger than you to say friend of the family at her' but I didn't know her kill yourself tweet came first.

Gotta get that p

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Jesus christ...I mean, I get wanting to downplay certain words that might be a little overused and stale and result in fairly empty words like "the gameplay in this game is really good", but banned outright? That just seems silly.

RPS has ok stuff sometimes, but I'm really not a fan of John Walker and the way he goes about things. Stuff like his infamous Peter Molyneux interview make him look like he thinks he's Gaming Journalism's version of Jeremy Paxman or something who's there to ask people the tough questions and all that poo poo, but he usually ends up coming off as bad as the subject matter most of the time - kinda just a flat-track bully who isn't as smart as he thinks he is. When you literally start an interview of by asking someone if they think they're a pathological liar or not, it doesn't seem like you're interested in having a constructive conversation...

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

The conspiratorial part of my brain makes me wonder if that interview was made up, since I think Molyneux would have just hung up after hearing that.

That would be funny if true...but nah, Molyneux isn't ever one to shut up easily, even in the face of criticism. I got what Walker was trying to do there and that in many ways the interview was a double-barrelled shot after years of the classic Molly overpromises, the Molyneux Cycle, and the fairly easy interviews...that and, of course, he'd just royally screwed the pooch to perhaps a greater degree than he'd ever done before. If he'd still been with EA or Microsoft, Walker would have never had the chance to ask that question...but god, it was a bad read.

My favourite writing on RPS was always Cara Ellison's. Seeing as how I don't think she writes much about games anymore, I don't have much reason to go there...does Rab Florence still write board game stuff for them?

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

Rab left a while back. I think Cara's on her way out too.

Not surprising I guess. I hadn't heard much about Cara since she took a break a couple of years back and Rab's been doing Consolevania again (which I still need to catch up with, ffs).

As for some more of that spicy content featuring old titans of UK Games Journalism (although it's not exactly about video games) - Paul "Mr. Biffo" Rose of Digitiser fame has been doing a fair amount of bits with his "Found Footage" series, which is good if you like weirdness and want to know more about a great man named Goujon John.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woOkBo_26lA

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Conal Cochran posted:

Learning that youtubers I've never even heard of make around $60,000 a month made me really re-assess my view of internet celebrities. I thought that was what Pewdiepie money would have been. So I checked to see how much Pewdiepie made and it's $7.4 million a year or around $600,000 a month. And the weirdest part of all is that I found this out from a Forbes article titled "PewDiePie Doesn't Make Anywhere Close To What He Should Be Making"

I'm not saying all youtubers are lazy assholes who need to go out and get a "real job" and I know that this big money thing is still a very small minority of them, but still it's a little strange.

Big Youtube money is a very small minority, although it might be more people than you think - especially if people are supplementing their ad revenue with sponsorship deals, paid work and what have you...there's also Patreon to add to the mix more and more. Sometimes sponsorships can mean crazy money...a few years back, coin trading was a big thing in FIFA - it wasn't necessarily approved by EA and there was a small risk involved of getting your account banned (inconsequential really), but YouTubers being sponsored by FIFA coin sites made everyone involved an absolute SHITTON of money - we're talking about some folks who were just out of school or maybe still in becoming millionaires through coin sponsorship. FIFA stopped coin trading in the end but still, shows how big sponsors can be.

It's also very important to note that YouTube ad revenue is seasonal like traditional ad rev, and there are certain times when the money's going to be better than others. It's pretty good now as we're heading towards the end of the year, and December is the best month of them all of course -- the rates for ads are big then...generally October, November and December are all going to be pretty good. And naturally January and February straight after are going to be pretty crap as the ad rates sink to their lowest. This works for certain types of sponsorship just mentioned too...and this'll still likely be the case despite all the recent Google/YouTube ad stuff too. Indeed, one of the effects of recent controversial changes such as "limited or no monetisation" has been that, for accounts that aren't as affected by such things, ad revenue is generally up now. Certainly far better than the miserable rates of a couple of months back when no-one was advertising on YT.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I think people here could generally go for Papa Franku at least. Most of the videos he does (at least what I've seen) are just flat out funny and weird (and sometimes disgusting...hair cake...) in the main and don't have much of a political slant. Although there is a chance with watching him that you'll collapse into the Omniverse and start wearing a pink bodysuit, I guess.

I have a few misgivings about posting this article but it does cover a couple of people who tend to get (mostly negative) time in the thread - it's noted skeptic Richard Carrier's account of MythCon IV, the event that just happened which featured a talk from Armoured Skeptic and Shoe0nhead, as well as a debate between far left skeptic Thomas Smith and Sargon of Akkad (you may recall that folks like Kristi Winters and Steve Shives tried to get both of these things shut down). It breaks down the contrasts between the talk and the debate and detailing the different approaches in play and what can be done, and I personally found it to be quite an interesting read although I'm sure people will have strong opinions on it either way. Just try not to take anyone's heads off or stuff like that.

https://www.richardcarrier.info/archives/13327

ED: Cheers Keith sorted mate I want death me

ED 2: People have tags that they go by on the Internet :O

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 6, 2017

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

JordanKai posted:

It's not hypocritical to stand firmly against something you indulged in in the past. People make mistakes and then realize the error of their ways all the time.

Also, creeping on someone and grabbing onto them without their consent isn't "loving with" them. It's borderline criminal behaviour.

idubz is a gross weirdo.

Idubz didn't creep on Tana or grab onto her without her consent - seeing as it was a meet and greet, then presumably all the actual fans who were there to take pictures with her were grabbing onto her without consent too. Where do you folks get this crap from? I mean, the video of the incident is literally all over the place.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

JordanKai posted:

I saw the video itself. I think it's super weird and creepy to drive across the country just to try and make someone you don't like super uncomfortable.

Like seriously, don't do that.

I didn't realise that the US consisted of California and literally nothing else

Seriously, what you think about Dubz isn't of consequence but it's not cool to paint him like he was about to start groping her or some poo poo either. The whole thing started with her trying to start some of that spicy low-rent Internet drama with him to boot.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

cat doter posted:

the particulars of the incident aren't really all that important, the response itself is just weird and slightly creepy like loving seriously do people not get that

No because there was literally nothing creepy or sexual about any single part of the whole thing seeing as it was demonstrating a person's total hypocrisy? He went there, it happened, he was asked to leave and he left without any further incident. I mean, if someone else who had a following who I'd not interacted with in the slightest told me out of the blue to kill myself I'd be pretty pissed off too as I'm sure any of you would be.

Like, when people bitch here about the sort of dickheads who make bags of money doing Youtube, Tana Mongeau is literally the exact person you're talking about. She's an arsehole with a record of treating people, staff and so on like total poo poo - she's really quite awful, and really not worth favouring here...like, at all.

JordanKai posted:

EDIT: Dude, the trip wasn't cross-country, it was LA to San Francisco. Why are you repeating that

EDIT 2: And man, it was at a loving meet and greet. People PUT ARMS around each other for photos, especially at meet and greets. Like, that'd be 9 photos out of 10. Seriously come on now.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Oct 6, 2017

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Bad Wolf posted:

As long as you're here, Kim, any plans for a documentary on Team 17 ? I mean, their bullshit lawsuit would be material enough for a video, but I'd love to see a complete history on them.

Almost definitely,. yes. Prob before the year is out.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Kunster posted:

That piece humanizes both armored and shoe, but in a "Oh God, everyone around them is either vile or stupid". Including on how guilable the writer is ("Asra Nomani is on the pro side! Never mind the super dishonest Muslim Trump voting poo poo! Waaa, how was Laci Green vilified in the first place with ties to Chris Gun and how she straight up embraced people who drew her rape art bc thry didn't tell her to gently caress off with the two gender s-*Bucket falls on head* Who turned out the lights"). Good God I feel so bad for them now.

Well, at least the next time """a skeptic""" shows up online that wasn't boasted thru some dark money mercer poo poo, i can at least go "ok was the editor of their pieces not also a garbage human". Christ Almighty.

I took the time to read and attempted to be as charitable as i could, but my only syhmpathies are with those two.

I hardly think the author gave Asra Nomani a pass on that seeing as he basically said that her support for Trump was bizarre, that she was crediting him for things he had basically nothing to do with and didn't give her much credit for anything really beyond being civil in her debate in comparison to Sargon. And he wasn't wrong when it comes to how people took Laci's "red pilling" or whatever you want to call it - it didn't go down well at all, and that's before you get to her meeting folks like Sargon at Vidcon (I dunno, what was she supposed to do? Spit in his face? Do something utterly against the direction that she'd decided to take? I mean, if you say "I want to converse with people on the other side" and then personally ignore one of the biggest voices - like it or not - on that side then that's a pretty bad look) or anyone even knowing she was in a relationship with Chris Ray Gun tbh. As soon as Laci said she was going to start debating anti-fem/MRA/MGTOW people and all that with the aim to meet on some middle ground, the SJ community at large turned against her. I threw my own coins in then too. Things like two genders and all that...jeez yeah, that's just a subject for another time right there.

I don't see how the article paints the author as a "garbage human" at all, but I guess that's the way the conversation works these days.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Sarcopenia posted:

Terf??? Can you please elaborate?
I have to admit that at first I was horrified that Laci "switched sides". Then I got really embarrassed that I had the thought "Oh this is her boyfriends doing!". She's her own person (and a hella smart one) and it seems like these feelings were brewing even before she even met him. She was kind of hostile to the left at first but with the backlash she got I think that it's very understandable. When I look at her twitter now I just see, albeit with some eye roll worthy centrism thrown in there, a lot of the good work she's always been doing. I think that it's demeaning and misogynist to see RG as the person who "turned her". Being in what was basically cult probably made her worried about the echo chamber she had wandered into. That's what I think she distanced herself from. I don't see her as someone who switched sides. If she has the patience and energy for exploring the arguments from both sides more power to her. As a queer, biracial and not mentally healthy person I can't.

Yeah she's not actually a TERF at all, don't worry about it. The crux of that whole thing seemed to come when she lambasted the belief that not wanting to have sex with a trans person is transphobic and misrepresented a joke Zinnia Jones tweet to do it...which is a shame, but hey it's not like you could just pull up a Riley Dennis video or something where she says the same thing (people naturally have preferences that can't just be changed). Also talking about biology with the whole two genders thing, which is fair enough because biology, chromosomes etc. are just one aspect of what makes someone who they are. As a trans woman some Youtube comment type trying to test me by saying I'm biologically male isn't exactly something that ruins my day 'cause it's like well...yeah - what's your point? Don't mean much in the other areas like psychology and brain make-up and poo poo - my sex/physical characteristics are male, this does not match up with my mental characteristics/the gender I feel, ergo I experience dysphoria and therefore decided to start transitioning.

If you wanted to really stretch the bull you could say "Well she had a conversation with noted TERF Meghan Murphy" but said convo also included ContraPoints and was part of a look at both sides of said debate. People saying that Chris Ray Gun turned her is...yeah, just embarrassing, lol. Especially if it's said by anyone who identifies as feminist - that's top banter right there if you're purposefully removing a woman's agency.

quote:

lol what is the hypothetical middle ground with the anti-fem/MRA/MGTOW people

Engagement and debate, whether it ends up reaching some hypothetical middle ground or not, is important because they have a lot of followers that could potentially be reached? In YouTube terms (for the sake of nothing else 'cause that's my homecourt), we're talking about accounts with six-figure subs. Some are closing in on a million...to think that all of these people who follow said accounts are a hivemind who think the same and are perfectly in line with the belief system of, let's say a Sargon or a Stefan Molyneux or someone on the extremes like that is fallacious. There are many different reasons why someone subscribes to these folk...by engaging them, there's a possibility you can change some minds. To take the Steve Shives approach and say that doing so is just a waste of time...personally, I don't see how that does anything but doom the Left, my poor Left to irrelevancy (which is kind of where I come from in this whole thing, really. I'm frustrated with what we're doing because we seem to be barely doing anything but losing).

Not that a debate between Steve Shives and Sargon, for example, would be anything but a complete shitshow with slanging matches on both sides, absolutely no achievement, and both sides just claiming total victory in the end. So best to look for those where ground can potentially be gained.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 6, 2017

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

^^the core TERF outlook is 'trans women are just men trying to rape people' and that's steeped in lots of 'so self defense against them is ok' and 'trans panic' stuff. Shockingly, the bigots eager to make the other seem less than human tend use language and rhetoric that makes it seem ok to kill them.

Laci's been tweeting tons of TERFy poo poo, she's absolutely a TERF. Her whole thing for the past grip has been "MAYBE THOSE ICKY TRANS PEOPLE SHOULDN'T BE LITERALLY RAPING PEOPLE???"

So I just looked over the last 3 months of her Twitter and didn't see anything of the sort in threads where she talked about trans people. When I found a thread she created where she was talking about trans people, it was going in against the Trump Military ban and retweeting Laverne Cox, which doesn't seem to jive with saying that all trans folk are rapists or whatever she's apparently been saying according to you (examples would be nice ta).

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

So she misread a tweet by Zinnia "I like to post photos on my public Twitter of me shoving dildos up my arse" Jones. Ok then. She did not say that this was something all trans people wished to do, although she did argue against people saying that hey, you can just change your preferences and therefore not be transphobic because you don't want to date trans people! (and quite right too).

This is the video in question. In which, at the end, she says that she is against transphobia, speaks out against TERFs and what they do and says, outright, that trans women are women (and by extension, trans men are men) because biology and what's between your legs is not the be-all and end-all of woman/manhood. Yep, sounds real TERFy to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPdVDjQ9BE8

There are many TERFs out there who represent a great threat to trans people and actively try to doxx them, force them out of work and disrupt trans-related public events. They are dangerous, and they are the scum of the earth. Laci Green is quite clearly not one of them.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 6, 2017

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Ah ok this isn't a belief that's been pushed by certain branches of the trans community, my bad! I guess that Riley Dennis video where she says that you're a bigot if you don't want to date trans people and that you can "unlearn" your preferences was just faked because the anti-SJW folk were running out of material to riff on.

Joke Zinnia Jones tweet or not, the point remains.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Guys, we all have our preferences and they're pretty much hardcoded in. And saying that it's the same as not wanting to date a black person is spurious as hell...like, there's so many factors you've not considered. What about starting a family, say? Maybe someone wants a kid, they'd like to be a biological father or something along those lines...we trans women can't provide that because we don't have uteruses. You don't get that in other cases...

As much as I'm sure things would be great if everyone had a degree of attraction to everyone else, that's just not the way things work. Some people are attracted to us (You know what type of porn is just about as popular as straight porn?), some people are not. Physical attraction...it's not that deep. And to say that not being attracted to a certain someone makes you a transphobe, or a homophobe, or a racist...sorry, that's just completely ridiculous.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Junpei Hyde posted:

I'm afraid I don't really agree with your point. I feel that if your reason for not dating someone is "they're in X group" then you prooooob have some biases against that group

If this extended to not wanting to be friends with said someone or not wanting to interact with them in any way, I'd be in agreement with you about those biases. But physical attraction is not something that can just be controlled like that because so much of it is subconscious and hardwired. Like, there might be certain little things that will change here and there but in so many cases, you're either into something or you're not into something.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Genocyber posted:

The attraction thing is irrelevant because no one is saying anyone should be forced to date a trans person. Just that, if someone is turned off purely because the prospective partner is trans, it might be because of deeply held transphobic views, and that the person in question should probably do some soul searching.

Nah mate, no one's forcing you to date a trans person! Just that you're probably a transphobe if you don't want to!

You and Junpei would make for great conversion therapists.

I'm done.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

hbomberguy posted:

Did she say that though?

I don't wanna gently caress this thread up any further than I have done so my DMs are open in various places.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I don't necessarily expect folks to watch a 2 hour podcast that's mainly about footie, but The True Geordie got to do a podcast with Alan Shearer and it was really good. Great to see him finally do an interview with his childhood idol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpE_vEzZYD0

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Anthony Fantano did a response to the Fader article that tried to tie him to the alt-right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UZqIIy7pAk

The greatest YouTube reviewer in the world makes his return and goes to Morocco in search of chips, wings, a strip burger and a cheeky Mirinda:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwANDfkOskg

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Well having watched the video that sure didn't seem to be what it was like at all and satire is a thing that's existed for quite some time but hey ho, this bald guy who reviews records every day is obviously a Nazi

EDIT: I mean, the other biggest source of hip-hop reviews on the YT, Dead End Hip Hop made a video on the whole poo poo where half of them were utterly loving fuming at the thought of having to discuss this poo poo-piece and even entertain the idea of the guy being some alt-right mole but hey-ho, obviously the Fader is dead spot-on on everything and Fantano's next video might as well be reviewing 'Tomorrow Belongs to Me'

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 11, 2017

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Yardbomb posted:

Except for some mysterious reason this keeps on being the cover for the most lovely bigots we've got lately. :thunk:

The way it's laid out in the video it's pretty clearly satire. Like, so clearly. You couldn't mistake what he was doing for anything else but a satire that comes from a liberal point of view.

I mean I'm sure y'all actually just want him to be some loving Nazi (whatever that means in 2017) for whatever reason but he's not. He's quite obviously pretty drat left.

EDIT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPXHRX8Q2hs

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Yardbomb posted:

The exact same thing it's ever meant, "skeptics" like Mouthy Buddha are literally making videos about THE JEWISH QUESTION or for a real treat "Was Hitler a BAD Person?" to applause from their viewerbase for gently caress's sake. There is an out and out nazi problem in 2017, so people are kind of getting less charitable to "It's satiiiiiiiiire" when that's the same excuse actual textbook nazis are using to skirt by and push/normalize their dogshit views.

...Who is this person? I've never even heard of a Mouthy Buddha. It seems to be a fringe channel of some sort which spouts bullshit national type views, I certainly won't dispute that.

I mean, obviously people like this loving guy exist, I ain't denying that at all. They've always existed...I mean, there are probably other arseholes with 30K-odd subscriber counts who've been doing this poo poo for years, hence sites like the Stormer and the like. You can find folks like The Golden One who have an even bigger viewership. But in any case, I really don't think you're being at all fair to what Fantano was doing on his channel at all. One look at his social media or his own personal views in just about any capacity would clearly be enough to see that he is not some dog whistler for the alt-right - if anything, he's a left-wing guy who didn't much like Hillary (and to be fair that kinda makes sense...). The Fader piece was...well, not good. It was barely researched at all, came off like nothing but a targeted slam and honestly it's a shame that people take something like that at face value.

I also have to say that, the way the climate is now, poo poo is getting so muddied that the definition of Nazi is becoming less and less clearer...it's like the word is losing its power. It's tying itself in with the alt-right, whatever that may be...the poo poo started by Richard Spencer and company, for sure and rightly, but then others add a whole bunch of other things to the mix. It kind of says something when some of the biggest attempts made to define and then dissect the alt-right for what they are have been made by channels that are frequently considered "alt-right".

EDIT: Uuuggh, I swear...what is it with film people goddamn

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 11, 2017

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I like how Kim Justice just regurgitates every Nazi talking point to muddle poo poo up.

Is he.........also satire? :ohdear:

Are you loving kidding me?

Like, you literally proved my point. Apparently what I'm saying are freaking Nazi talking points. That being what, it might be a good idea to look at videos instead of relying on 2nd hand accounts of them to see what people are ACTUALLY saying? That obvious hitpieces should be recognised for what they are? And apparently this is muddling poo poo up...lol, what do you mean by that?

And hey, thanks for the misgender too. Great social justiceing there bruh.

This poo poo is crazy. I can't even loving disagree about anything, it seems. It's not a disagreement, it's just flat out wrong.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Oct 11, 2017

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

There was a lot more here but this is kinda becoming upsetting so prob just going to leave

Hbomb posted:

Incidentally this is an amazing thing to read, in a response to a post linking you videos about the jewish question, one of which is literally entitled 'was Hitler a bad person?' But that's beside the point, let's talk about Fantano.

I don't think I said that the Youtuber who was brought up there wasn't a Nazi or an alt-righter or anything like that, 'cause it certainly seemed that way and I'm sorry if that didn't come across. When I said that I was referring to other people and the way the term gets thrown around generally and used against people who really don't belong there.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Oct 11, 2017

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Hbomberguy posted:

Anthony Fantano is the next Mel Brooks what are you talking about

Yeahhhh this is what stops me from wanting to actually talk to you. When disagreement happens you can't stop yourself from just flat out acting like a snarky oval office. I'd like to think that you aren't a snarky oval office and you potentially being a snarky oval office won't stop me from loving what you do (indeed, being an entertaining snarky oval office is partly how you make your bones), but here it's kind of a shame.

Like, even in that long post you made to me you seem to think that I'm talking about that "Is Hitler bad" dude when I'm talking about people who are analysing and dissecting the alt-right and providing definitions of what they are - folks like Dr. Carrier whose article about MythCon I posted a few pages back for example, where even with him people here seemed to just play the man instead of the ball. Thinking about it I don't really know how that could be thought when said guy (Mouthy Boobjob or whatever his name was) clearly wasn't doing anything of the sort and was indeed, being a Nazi fucker as is the case with anyone who brings up things like the Jewish Question. Kinda strange.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Oct 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Ash Crimson posted:

You seem more angry about Hbomber's tone and others pointing out Fantano's faults then you do about Fantano actually being a massive dickhead. At what point do you stop giving him the (very generous) benefit of the doubt and just admit that he hosed up and what he did was stupid?

Gee I dunno, something about a fellow peer misrepresenting my points and making out as though I'm defending some actual Nazi who was brought up in the thread seems to get my back up a little bit. Can't think why that would be. And to be precise, it's that second part that got my back up as opposed to the first.

As far as Fantano goes...look, I watched his response video and felt that he refuted the points made in the article well - he explained the context and how the piece really didn't get it right, explained stuff like the godawful Sam Hyde thing and showed how he wasn't just laughing along and other poo poo. That and DEHH's take on it were enough to make me think that this was being blown out of proportion. It would have been ok to have a decent discussion about it, but it just always ends up in slanging matches and we all bring out the worst in each other.

• Locked thread