Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Wheat Loaf posted:

It is interesting to read this, because on another site I sometimes visit, one poster raised a similar criticism (from a feminist perspective, from what I understood) of Anita's videos; she said that while she agrees with the basic thrust of them, and while she wants to support what Anita does, she doesn't feel comfortable watching her videos because she thinks they come across as sex-negative. I haven't watched any of Anita's videos myself, so I don't know if that's a fair or accurate comment, but this part of your post (your post in general, really) reminded me of that.

Remember when ringtone music was a thing? I don't just mean Crazy Frog, Sweetie the Chick and Nessie the Dragon, but when ringtones were advertised on Channel 4. You could text a number and get a really bad MIDI version of "Mr Lonely" sent straight to your Nokia 3310!

Kim Justice did a whole video on the Crazy Frog. That thing even got a couple of kart games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Mind if I post someone's Pateron? Carolyn Pitt https://www.patreon.com/carolynpetit

For those who don't know she is a former editor of Gamespot.com, who was let go during a massive restructuring. (I think all but two editors there are english now, all the other americans with the company are now with Giant Bomb.) She's "best" known for her review of GTA 5 where she gave the game 9/10 but criticized it for it's sexist humor, pissing off A LOT of people. I think this is when I realized "Wow, gamers are lovely, lovely people.

Since then she has been doing freelance gaming writing. I've seen her stuff on Vice.com but I think shes writing in other places too. She is the kind of voice we need more of in gaming and I hope you kick a couple bucks her way.

Edit: Is ten bucks to much for a pateron? Also, I just realized something, does Pateton get a cut of what creators bring in?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 9, 2015

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Jsor posted:

Man, that sucks, I hope Brad gets better, and I'm glad he had the courage to cut them off.

Thaaat said, even though Brad gave out the info himself, let's leave that post as it stands and avoid creepy internet detective work or Brad Twitterwatch on this situation.

Yeah, read the post if you want and lets just move on.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Benne posted:

I started watching SAO with my girlfriend a couple weeks ago, and once they got to the cousin romance subplot I had Elfen Lied flashbacks.

Way to derail a show I was otherwise enjoying up to that point.

Ah, so thats why that show is hated. Cause on first glance it sounded right up my alley. I loved .hack back in the day and this has a similar premise.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I thought about buying an anime figurine once until I saw the price. :stare:

At least the bluray price seems OK for a complete 30 episode series. Nadia. Secret of the Blue Water.

What drives me nuts though is that a lot of these companies are just now releasing whole shows or seasons in one set. Otherwise they are still selling them four episodes at a time on DVD.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Say Jay O, to what extent to Anime producers think about the audience outside of Japan in terms of business decisions?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 20, 2015

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I read that the creator of serial experiments lain intended for the show to be interpreted completely different by American audiences.

he was disappointed when they came to the same conclusions.

Thats one of those shows I've been meaning to watch. drat you Post Office Job :argh:

Edit: And New Japan, And Orphan Black, And stack of Wrestling DVDs I buy but never watch, and season 4 of Bob's Burgers.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 20, 2015

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Well, tbf people didn't know about aatrek.

That dude who hosed a dog stuck around for a while though.

Wait, what?

Also sorry to Smark-out but when Jay O posted the name Nakamura I immediately thought of this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1Jh4B7aXu4

Edit: HOLY CRAP, I didn't realize that I just found the English commentary for this match. :neckbeard:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

I think it's also a lot of reviewers, especially in the early days of all this, wanted to be MST3K. Linkara especially.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Jay O posted:

It's beautiful.

That reminds me, did you ever post your review of Watamote?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Seems like a reasonable analysis. It's unfortunate that they didn't do likewise with mp3 downloading as well. If they'd tried to monetise the model rather than crush it and cling to the existing system, perhaps the music industry would be in a stronger position today; by the time the iTunes store emerged to offer a viable legal alternative, the pirates had a good five-plus year head start on them and they've struggled to make up the difference.

DIdnt the music industry also push back on Apple as well when they were pitching the first iPods and the iTunes Store?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Miss Wallace posted:

It's so much better than filming the CA movies. There's a lot more care and respect from the people in charge, plus there's someone around to kind of keep everyone on their toes and keep things on schedule. Filming is wrapping up tomorrow and there's been no breakdown moments. Overall it's been a blast.

Yeah, doesn't shock me Linkara is WAY more organized than CA Management.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

SatansBestBuddy posted:

It's less about the game and more about the piss poor content management Steam Greenlight has. He also doesn't have much to say on that, either, because... seriously look at the poo poo they're letting get released.

Edit: Just watched the trailer he posted. Nevermind, gently caress Steam Greenlight

Edit: This one gave me chills, becuase I think it was made mainly to be jacked off too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcSmDVlJDXQ

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 5, 2015

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

SF Debries begins a look at The Twilight Zone: Where Is Everybody

And put away your Twitter account for about a month, we got a new Feminist Frequency: Jade from Beyond Good and Evil

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Seen all the new Baywatching. Really awesome Lupa, but I still think you're crazy for agreeing to do every single episode. :v:

Anyway, New Half in the bad Mad Max: Fury Road First off, just saw this today. GO SEE THIS loving MOVIE! Amazing. simply amazing. Second off, I think i like the Best of the Worsts better than Half in The Bag now.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I've only seen the first Mad Max movie. Should I watch the other two before the new one?

I never saw any of the Mad Max movies. There were small short parts here and there of Max having flashbacks about a child but that's it. Otherwise I don't think so.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 17, 2015

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

PassTheRemote posted:

I have never heard anyone not liking Fury Road. Brad and co. loved it I'm going to see it tomorrow, and I am very excited.

As much as I loved this, it was more of a whim I wen't and saw it. i can't get excited for movies anymore I think. Still havent seen Avengers and Fast and the Furious.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Oh god! Thank you so much for this!

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Jay O posted:

Woof, not in my experiences with the Geek Squad it ain't. :smith:

Just google it, that's how I lasted long enough at that job.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Leal posted:

Can't we just get beyond thunderdome

No. Get out.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

I was just wondering, what sites do you guys go to for game reviews? I figured this would be a good place to ask.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

VolticSurge posted:

Any other Linkara reviews you'd recommend? I know there's got to be a few good/decent ones that don't have any stupid storyline crap.

Holy Terror and One more day are the ones that come to mind.

Just check out his worst comics of all time video, that should be a good starting place.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

ROH is getting a national TV deal, TNA is getting kicked off tv again and now a new Wheel of the Worst.

Today was a good day.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

Mike loses more and more of his humanity every time they do a wheel of the worst. He's barely there any more, just drunkenly mocking Leonard Nimoy's death from off camera.

Thats a moment I wish they cheated again, just so they can watch the Y2K video.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's a new Errant Signal looking at Only If. Trying to post a link but for some reason my laptop wont let me copy and past the address. :mad:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Jim Sterling Posted his review of Hatred. He also did a LP of it here.

Jim Sterling posted:

A grim part of me actually looked forward to this. Good or bad, I thought we’d get something provocative or remarkable in some way, shape, or form. Instead, we got a prosaic and outmoded little pile of cynicism. Perhaps worse than that – we got a drat boring game.

I kind of have this idea for a somewhat parody of it, where instead of killing people you have to perform random acts of kindness. I've been writing a bunch of comic scripts and wanna try making this. :shobon:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Rodyle posted:

The best way to not advocate it would be to not discuss it,and instead talk about Good Polish Game Made With Intelligence and Care The Witcher 3.

I think my desktop just shat the bed. :( (it will suddenly shutdown then start back up. Last night it did it again but now won't boot.) it's gonna be awhile before I can take a shot at it.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

I always also thought "Truth is in the Middle" to also mean that anyone who picks a side on an issue is an idiot. "You actually care about something? Loser :smug:"

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Best Final Fantasy game is V. Come join the Fiesta.

(Actually, has any internet reviewer talked about/played the FFV Fiesta? Seems like an interesting subject)

I always thought 6 was the best Final Fantasy. But no one talks about it. It's either all 7 or how crazy the later games are.

In terms of gaming moments you will never top this http://youtu.be/hPcNi7oYm6M

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

I would recommend watching Team Fourstars Hellsing Ultimate Abridged which is basically Hellsing Ultimate only slightly more goofy

The show has some edgy moments like that and Nazi vampires eating babies, but the characters are so fun and the music is great and I love that most of the characters have satisfying endings/deaths. Personal favorite would have to be Alexander Anderson who is a giant health regenerating Scottish warrior priest with infinite holy bayonets who also cares about the children in his orphanage. That and the Major just because he's a just a :smug: prick

I finished going through all of Dragonball Z Abridged and holy poo poo, why did I put that off for so long? Their versions of Krillin and Vegeta are just so much fun.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

A shame AOT couldn't have become a thing

One of the most rewarding aspects of watching DBZA is watching the show evolve from monkey cheese :lol: meme humor to something that is consistently funny/edited. I'm glad that their patreon is doing really well

What makes it work so well is that even though it's mainly a comedic version of BDZ, they know how to treat certain scenes with respect and heft. (The Death of Gohan, Goku arriving on Namek, The reveal of Cell)

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Miss Wallace posted:

Another Baywatching: Someone attempts to set Eddie on fire and Mitch rides a sweet WAVERUNNER TM.
http://phelous.com/2015/06/14/obscurus-lupa/baywatching/baywatching-sea-of-flames/

Wait, it's a Gilligan's Island CROSSOVER!? I thought it was just Mitch and Eddie dressing up as The Skipper and Giligan. I don't know wether to feel terrified or cheated.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

What in god's name just happened? Why was this allowed to exists? Is there no god? Am I real?

Lupa, honest question. Does Baywatch top this episode?

Edit: As for Doom 4, I get it. In all media in general i'm just over how blood and guts are thrown in for the sake of looking cool. Maybe I am getting old. :smith:

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 16, 2015

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Miss Wallace posted:

The ep's so amazing. It's in season 6 I think though. Cyron's correct, it was a cross-promotion with a PPV. There was an audience and the Baywatch people were awkwardly cut in cheering as if they were there, ha ha.

There also is an ep where Giant Gonzales plays a mistreated circus performer who just wants to carve pelican statues!

I actualy went and watched it when you said it existed the first time. Not to steal your Thunder in Paradise Lupa but the B-Plot to that whole episode is another character getting skin cancer.

Also Hogan and Vader's match are cut in with PPV footage with footage clearly shot later. Like, the ring looks smaller and the canvas doesn't look tied down right.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Miss Wallace posted:

I'm jealous I didn't think of "steal your Thunder in Paradise" first! And, yes, it featured one of their Emmy Cancer plots, it gels about as well as you can expect.

1: You can use it for 10 cents a video.

2: Wait, "One of their Emmy Cancer plots?" They do that more than once? Is Baywatch working on the same set as Gengius Khan?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

This is why I kind of gave up on Superhero comics (at least ones from DC and Marvel) An editor or another writer from another book make some decision and a bunch of books only tangibly related to it have to do complete and obvious re-writes.

That and big event cross overs. I wanna read about Wonder Woman dammit, I don't need any of the Green Lanterns sticking their rear end into it.

Plus I will admit to being more of a DC guy (In that I like a lot more DC characters than Marvel Characters) And it seems like DC is trying SO GODDAMN HARD to recreate the 90s. Are their any Harley Quinn comics worth reading that aren't embarrassing? Or Wonder Woman After Gail Simone's run?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 17, 2015

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

I'm 5:35 seconds into the uncensored version. Gad dammit DStecks! :suicide:

Edit: This isn't sex, it's insurance fraud :lol: Ok, you deserve my respect for that line alone.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 21, 2015

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

DStecks posted:

LMFAO

"People who aren't totally up to date on LGBT lingo are scumlords"- repeatedly misgenders someone

To be fair, how many people know chris-chan is trans. Hell, I forgot till you just posted that.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

So does anyone else follow Jim Sterling? I love his squinty play videos, looking at the worst of steam green light and early access. I did disagree with him that it's Steam's job to weed out the utter garbage stuff from it, but now I'm starting to come around when he started talking about asset flipping and people outright selling games they didn't make.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Impermanent posted:

Who are the good game reviewer types similar to Jimquisition? About the only vidja gamez people I follow are him and Bunnyhop guy, who is great for different reasons.

They don't do reviews but I like Extra Credits. They more talk about game design theories and how certain aspects of the industry work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

JB50 posted:

What was it? Did they beg for money or something?

Yeah, their original artist needed surgery on her hand so they held a fund raiser. Which was an issue all in of it self. They were on the Escapist at the time and they felt they deserved a cut of what they raised. This led to them leaving the site,

The fundraiser was successful but had a lot of money left over. So they decide they are going to use the money to fund some Indy project. I don't think anything came of it.

• Locked thread