Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Better get out your wallet, DStecks.

I'm not 100% sure that the 5SOS song has the worst line ever. Pointing out the brand of your girlfriend's undies is pretty bad, but it's not outright offensive like at least one line in, say, that Chris Brown song 'Deuces'. (Speaking of, I wonder if 'Loyal' will show up anywhere? Personally, I hate that song because there is a well-loved Dave Dobbyn song by the same name. I don't even like the DD song all that much, yet it deserves better than having the same name as a Chris Brown song).

Can't wait until Part 2. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Re: Todd's list. You know how I said before that I didn't like 'Birthday'? Yeah, well, I've kind of warmed up to it a little. It's not going to be one of my fave KP songs or anything, but it's mostly OK. (Apart from that bridge. Yeesh). It might have done better commercially if they hadn't flubbed the video so badly. It's not all bad - the parts with KP hanging around with kids are cute - but the Jewface stuff is bewildering.
Also re: KP: What about 'Walking On Air'? I like that song an awful lot, and I think it could have made for a decent single. (Certainly better than 'This Is How We Do', video aside).

'Rather Be' is nice enough (it's certainly one of the better songs I've heard on aeroplanes), but it kind of feels a tad corporate, if you know what I mean? It's the sort of thing I can imagine an ad agency creating. That said, I like it well enough.

I'm a little bit annoyed that 'Pompeii' and 'Team' didn't get mentioned anywhere. I thought he liked the first song, and I *really* like 'Team'.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Jay O, you should go see ...Princess Kaguya right now. I saw it last year and it is *ridiculously* good. If any movie wins the Best Animated Movie Oscar, I hope it's that one.

I haven't seen The Wind Rises, but I have seen all the other recent Studio Ghibli films, all of which I liked.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Seeing as noone's posted this:

New Cinemadonna! A League of Their Own: http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/cinemadonna-a-league-of-their-own-7176582

Next up: Body of Evidence. YESSSS :getin:

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
I kinda wish he'd done 1990, because then he could have talked about Jive Bunny. Yes, Jive Bunny made the top 100 in 1990.

I already knew about that Timmy T song, but mainly because it was on Bennett The Sage's worst number ones list a couple of years ago.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
17 February 1989 = "Straight Up" by Paula Abdul (USA) and "Something's Gotten Hold Of My Heart" by Marc Almond & Gene Pitney (UK).

Could have been worse. At least it wasn't Milli Vanilli.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

Infamous Sphere posted:

That's ok! Mind you, while Australians still defend vegemite, we still secretly enjoy non-commonwealth reactions to it. (Well, non-British/NZ - they have marmite, so they just see vegemite as a not as good version of marmite. It was invented as a substitute for marmite, so they're technically right.)

That's not always true. I'm from NZ and I prefer Vegemite to Marmite. They do taste subtly different, which is because Marmite has sugar in it while Vegemite doesn't, from what I remember.

That said, I remember when there was a Marmite shortage a couple of years ago, and the whining was insufferable.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

Jsor posted:

It wasn't really that interesting of an episode, honestly. Not bad, just kinda there. The band flamed out so quickly after their hit there wasn't really much to talk about.

The best part about the video was Todd talking about The Jam. Go listen to The Jam. They're great.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

KKall posted:

So far I've been focusing on new episodes. Haven't had the time to put up all of my backlog, but so far I've been doing it reverse-chronologically. Everything I've done so far in 2015 is on my channel, and last month I dumped everything from 2014 on there as well. Before September ends I should have everything from 2013 uploaded. Honestly, there are a few eps that I wouldn't mind forgetting forever, but the fan favorites (The Man Who Fell to Earth, Trash Humpers, Melancholia, etc.) should definitely go online once I make the necessary Content-ID dodging cuts to them. Naked Lunch should be among them :)

If you don't mind me asking, which episodes don't you like?

Also, you did a review of a Guy Maddin film a while ago. Are you interested in reviewing any more of his movies? Because I saw his latest one, and it was *weird*.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Re: Toddchat.

Fairly certain he said 'Hotline Bling' wasn't going on the Worst Of list at all. 'Dear Future Husband' might be on that list though, maybe 'Marvin Gaye' if it gets onto the Billboard Year-End chart. (Fun fact: 'Marvin Gaye' got to #1 in the UK this year. What the gently caress).

I'm also certain that 'Style' and 'FourFiveSeconds' will be on the Best Of list.

Todd also tweeted recently that he thought this year was definitely better than 2014. IMO, last year was crap but at least it didn't have any Soulja Boy rip-offs. (Silento, iMemphis, DLow, and that's off the top of my head). That said, 'Style' is an excellent song, quite possibly Taylor Swift's 'Edge of Glory' (in that it's her best song).

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

Cubey posted:

Spoony's FF8 review will always be dear to me because he more perfectly articulates everything wrong with that loathsome game than I'd ever be able to, though I disagree with his assessment that FFX is worse...

I know that Final Fantasy X has problems, but I can't bring myself to hate on that game, if only because it was the first Final Fantasy game I played. Nostalgia, yo.

FF VIII also has problems, but at least it's memorably bad and goes out of its way to be innovative. It might not have succeeded, but I'll take innovation over cynical corporate box-ticking in the vein of Final Fantasy XIII. (See also FF XII, although that game's better than VIII).

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Yeah, I've already seen Todd's list. The songs I most agree with are 'Only', 'Dear Future Husband' and 'Marvin Gaye'.

If you guys want to listen to a Nicki Minaj song featuring Drake and Li'l Wayne that isn't complete garbage, 'Truffle Butter' says hi.

I honestly think 'Marvin Gaye' might be worse than 'Afternoon Delight'. At least Bill Danoff and company didn't besmirch the names of any deceased soul legends!
Also, it got to #1 in the UK. I can't remember if I've mentioned that here, but I may as well remind people of that fact, because WTF, Britain. 'Common People' didn't get to #1 but this garbage did? Eurgh.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

Jay O posted:

Yeah, this is the most I've ever agreed with Todd's worst list and then disagreed with his best list ("Shut Up and Dance" sounds like pure faux-indie rock commercial plastic to me, and "Cool for the Summer" approaches lesbian curiosity with horribly unsexy phony lameness on top of bland production), but that's really good because it's indicative of a strong year for pop music. When all our favorites are basically the same, it's a pretty good indicator that everything else that year was lame-to-forgettable-to-obnoxious, so that's no good. (Last year was a prime example.) When we disagree strongly on the best of the year stuff, it means there was a lot of quality product for different tastes to go around. Conversely, when all our least favorites are basically the same, it means the really awful stuff was so noticeable because the year was otherwise pretty nice. (This year!) When our least favorites are different, it means HOLY poo poo THERE WAS A LOT OF GARBAGE THIS YEAR.

Also, he mentions that "Run Away With Me" is a fantastic song despite not making the Year End Hot 100, and I strongly encourage anyone who loves intensely '80s-infused dance pop and ballads to check out its host album Emotion, because it is prime catnip on that level. Loved it.

I'll give you the lyrics in 'Cool For The Summer' as they are a bit on-the-nose, but bland production? With that raging inferno of a guitar line? Come on.

I loved pretty much all of the best-of list - when it comes out on Youtube I'll go into detail about why I liked the songs - but #1 especially, holy poo poo.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

Jay O posted:

It'd work if Demi wasn't howling over it, but when I think of production, I can't help but take into account the tenor of the singer against the backing track, not just the track all by itself. Demi's full-throated approach turns that chorus into white noise. Best part of the song, which I do genuinely like, is the bridge, where she's not blowing out any aural or emotional variance the track could have had. (This is also the reason Wrecking Ball comes so close and yet so far. If it was sung by someone else, it could be a really compelling pop song! But not Miley...)

Different strokes different folks though, I totally get it. :)

Oh, that makes sense. Great.

Also, if anyone dislikes Uptown Funk! or Shut Up and Dance because of overplay, I don't blame them. I'm lucky that I can control how much I listen to songs so that they don't get ruined for me, but I can understand how that happens.

More songchat once the videos are on Youtube.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
List time! I already dissected the list on my blog, so it's potted summary time.

10) gently caress Macklemore? More like gently caress YES Macklemore. Haters all the way to the left, please. Not saying people can't criticise the guy (for one, he's a major dork), but I think he gets way too much hate. The only nitpick I have here is that I wish Todd had mentioned the hip-hop legends on the track: Kool Moe Dee, Grandmaster Caz and Melle Mel.

9) I have 1989 on my iTunes, so I've listened to this song a lot. I like it, it's pretty.

8) Yes, Elle King is related to Rob Schneider, but she was brought up by her mum, so don't let him get in the way. Besides, this song is fun.

7) Ah, Big Sean. This song is too stupid to hate.

6) Yay, The Weeknd. (Although I like 'The Hills' a lot more than Todd does).

5) Some people think this song is boring: not me.

4) Diplo may be an obnoxious dickhead, but he knows how to craft a good beat.

3) I don't care if this song is too 'commercial' or w/e, I'm too busy bopping.

2) Remember when Demi Lovato was boring? I'm sure even people who don't like this song can agree that it's better than 'I Kissed A Girl'?

Hon mentions:
I've listened to 'Hello' properly now, and this song gives me the shivers. No wonder Adele can't properly replicate the singing on this song when she does it live.
Carly Rae Jepsen's management are incompetent, end of.
Still love Uptown Funk!

1) Oh holy poo poo YES. I love this song so much.

Man, I like pretty much all of the songs here. That's never happened before.

(Link to the post on my blog if anyone's interested: https://zakace.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/todd-in-the-shadows-best-songs-of-2015-list-commentary/)

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

radlum posted:

Agree with pretty much everything here, except for the number 1, mostly because this was the first time I heard the song and I knew all the other songs on the list, including the Honorable Mentions. Still, pretty good list; the last couple of years I've liked Todd's list more.

Yeah, the first time I listened to that song, I felt a bit underwhelmed. I read stuff on the Popjustice forums, so they'd been slobbering over that song for a while; by the time I got around to listening to it, it didn't initially live up to the hype. After a couple of listens, it started growing on me and now I think it's awesome. I do wish that the song had got a better video - the music and the image don't fit well together. Compare that to the video for Lady Gaga's 'The Edge of Glory': that video isn't great, but it fits the song and it has Clarence Clemons.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
So JesuOtaku's now a dude? OK, cool.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Wow, that Machine Gun Kelly song posted before was kinda mean. What happened between that and Bad Things?

Some quick comments:

You mean that Lost Boy song gets a free pass while 'Million Reasons' has to claw and scrape its way onto the airwaves because radio stations think Lady Gaga is "radio poison"? Bull and poo poo. 'Million Reasons' may not be Lady Gaga's most interesting song, but it's much better than Ruth B's pile of soggy rubbish. (I assume the 'B' stands for 'boring'). JOANNE is such an underrated album.

I'm not annoyed at 'Juju On Dat Beat' like I was with 'Watch Me' and 'Hit the Quan'. It comes across like a couple of dopey kids loving around trolling people.

The Chainsmokers suck and are not fit to criticise Lady Gaga. Anyone who puts out garbage like 'Selfie' shouldn't be allowed to criticise anyone.

God, that Gnash song is boring. A combination of Ruth B's white (OK, black) girl at piano boringness and a mediocre white rapper. Give me Macklemore any day of the week.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

I Before E posted:

I discovered Spectrum Pulse through YouTube recommendations a week or two ago, and his best of lists for this year have turned me on to some pretty good stuff. I'm not as into his more regular stuff where he goes over the hot 100 week by week, because those are more jokey and that's not his strength, but he's pretty alright.

Mark's all right, but I kinda went off him a bit when he reviewed Lady Gaga's latest album and dumped on it due to some garbled nonsense about how if a pop star makes country it has to have a point or something like that. Plus, he completely missed the point of A-YO (on Billboard Breakdown): the song's about haters, not hate-sex, it was inspired by Mark Ronson's DJing days. I think he was upset because Kesha has made some countryish pop songs and she's being restricted by Dr. Luke being an abusive dick, so he kinda took out that annoyance on Lady Gaga a bit.

Either way, I don't hate the guy. He got me into CHVRCHES, I keep up with Billboard Breakdown and at the very least he hasn't created any memes making GBS threads on Lady Gaga for being a 'flop' (looking at you, Marc Mues), so he's got that going for him.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

MiddleOne posted:

Rap Critic is basically always cool in my book for stoking my interest in To Pimp A Butterfly and Because the Internet. I didn't even know Donglover was doing music until he covered Sweatpants and 3005.

EDIT: Also, Big K.R.I.T.

I mainly watch Rap Critic for his Worst Lyrics lists. He put out his Worst Lyrics of 2016 list recently, which is worth a watch, especially for his takedown of B.O.B.'s song 'Flatline', a.k.a. the song that got attention due to B.O.B. going on about flat earth stuff on Twitter around the time it was released. There isn't any flat earth stuff in the song, but there sure is conspiracy theory stuff, including lizard people and Illuminati, as well as anti-Semitism. (Well, implied anti-Semitism, but it's there).

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

Mraagvpeine posted:

I was looking around and saw that Rap Critic and Mues do a podcast called Goin' Off. Anyone here listen to that?

Nope! I'm not listening to anyone who makes misogynist memes about Lady Gaga being a 'flop'. I know Perfect Illusion underperformed compared to Born This Way spending six weeks at #1, but I'm fairly sure LG gets more hate thrown her way because she tried to be more intellectually ambitious in explaining her work back at her peak popularity and she's much more uncool compared to her peers, so let's all laugh at Lady Gaga for being a flop ha ha ARTFLOP Perfect Floplusion Flopfect flopflopflop get out of my face with that poo poo. It's even worse when other reviewers deem it A-OK to contribute to that meme themselves. Looking at you, TheDoubleAgent. I yelled at him on YouTube about this last month, I was so angry about it.

Sorry. I care an awful lot about feminism and Lady Gaga.

(I also have a personal reason to dislike Mues. A few years ago, I tried to be nice to him about him not using misogynist words, and he thought I was being rude and responded accordingly. Then some of his meathead fans decided to join the dogpile as well. I've blocked most of it out).

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Honestly, I interpreted the first part of the first verse as Macklemore talking about how he got confused due to masculine stereotypes. Besides, I don't think he meant to come across as saying "no homo", but IDK how he could have clarified his sexual orientation without giving that impression.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
So we're talking about Todd's best of 2016 list? Hot drat.

First of all, some nitpicks: 'Starboy' is about The Weeknd's recent fame, not cocaine, and 'Dangerous Woman' isn't about how Ariana Grande *is* dangerous, it's about how she *feels like a* dangerous woman. Big difference.

Excellent / Great: Beyoncé, Ariana Grande, Mike Posner, Bruno Mars (although I can understand how people might not be able to tolerate the obnoxiousness, because Bruno is pushing it at points).

Good / OK: Adele, The Weeknd, Drake, Coldplay, DNCE (although someone should get the bass player a beer or something because that bassline is doing some heroic elevation of the song).

Hated: The Chainsmokers. I can accept why Todd likes 'Closer', but I really hate these guys, to the point where putting this song as the #1 best song of 2016 is getting dangerously close to 'making me accept piss as iced tea' territory. Whatever, it's his choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

MiddleOne posted:

Hey now, don't tempt fate lest Grenade Bruno Mars rear his head back in again.

Todd even said that he hoped Bruno Mars wouldn't start mining his own original material for inspiration. That said, I bet any attempt to mine New Jack Swing for inspiration would go over well in South Korea, those guys love them some of that stuff.

• Locked thread