Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

nine-gear crow posted:

Heh. It's funny that you'd expect a film as notorious as Ishtar to be a career destroyer, but Dustin Hoffman, Warren Beatty, Isabelle Adjani, and Elaine May all walked away from it with their careers intact. It's mindboggling. :confused:
Elaine May only worked very sporadically after "Ishtar". She's never directed again, and the only two screenplays of hers that got made were in 1996 and 1998 respectively ("The Birdcage" and "Primary Colors"), and she hasn't done much work since, or at least work that's made it to the big screen. Hoffman's career was saved by "Rain Man", which came out the next year. Beatty came back with "Dick Tracy" and "Bugsy" which were both critical and commercial hits, plus he had plenty of reputation and gently caress you money to do whatever he wanted. "Ishtar" is bad but its mostly the boring kind of bad, outside of a few scenes with Charles Grodin that are mildly amusing. Something like "Howard the Duck", which came out around the same time is more fun from a trainwreck perspective because its just so mind-bogglingly awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Metal Loaf posted:

I've heard he's finally resolved the legal issues that were keeping him from making a Dick Tracy sequel the past 25 years or so, though.
He did this by filming a TV special that only aired once on Turner Classic Movies that has him briefly play the Dick Tracy character. He really, really wants to keep the film rights to the character for some reason.
There's a great book called "Fiasco", which you can get on Amazon that goes into detail on that production and how it just kept going for three years with sporadic reshoots, and that the final cost may have actually been close to or even over $100 million. The book also covers "Last Action Hero" and "Paint Your Wagon", among other more well-known flops like "Battlefield Earth". Good read.

Rebochan posted:

Finally caught up to Red Letter Media's "gently caress You, It's January." I could not be that brutally cynical even if I dedicated the rest of my life to it... but goddamn it's kind of hilarious watching them do it.
I will say that I find their cynicism to be tiring at points, and some of Mike's humor in particular sometimes comes off as just uncomfortably bitter and mean-spirited.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Ema Nymton posted:

CA is different because the weird poo poo that happens there would probably not happen in a real professional TV environment.
Nah, the TV and film industry is absolutely brimming with people in positions of power who make it their goal in life to victimize and humiliate people below their paygrade. There's so much petty scare tactics, threats, verbal abuse, and ridicule going on because they know underlings would like to keep their jobs, and its in their best interest to continue taking poo poo instead of reporting it to higher-ups who are likely to laugh it off and/or fire them. Multiply this by about a thousand if you're a person of color and the person you're answering to is white, or if your boss is a man and you're a woman.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
AHHHH! It's different now! I can't handle it! :supaburn:

In all seriousness, looking forward to new material in a new format.

Cyron posted:

Does matrix even have a rabid fanbase now? i'am sure there are fan of the series and it was hugely popaler back in the day but i don't think it hold on to people's minds as other big name sci-fi, but is doug thinking making fun of it is going to be pages of backlashes. i feel having a charater making fun of a fan base is unnecessary.
Most people remember the first "Matrix" as a good movie. It definitely had its moment in the sun in terms of being both a huge financial success (it basically made the DVD format viable) and a big cult hit. The sequels really soured its legacy but its still popular enough to be a big deal on basic cable (AMC apparently paid a lot of money to show the full trilogy a few years back) and Warner makes a big deal whenever it gets re-released on Blu-Ray. Supposedly Warner is trying to get a reboot of it off the ground, or some kind of new trilogy.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Benne posted:

Does Clint even direct his own movies anymore? I get the feeling he just sends his second unit off to go do the "one take and we're done" thing, taps his piano a few times to "record" a soundtrack, and calls it a day.
He almost certainly had nothing to do with crafting, choreographing, or even making the action sequences in "American Sniper" and left all of it up to second unit. In private, most people I've talked to who've worked with him in the last few years weren't at all happy with his choice of rushing through shooting.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Cyron posted:

Personal attacks, bullshit, giant mental breakdown for all to see
Good lord. If only every other thread on this entire forum were as good as rooting out the creeps as this one consistently is. It's just amazing to see the sort of people who come out of the woodwork to degrade women who they perceive as a threat to their manbaby hobbies.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Gonna add WEE into my podcast rotation, although it does make for something of a sad listen. I knew "The Simpsons" got pretty stagnant but I was blissfully unaware of some of the lows. Well, except Marge on the cover of Playboy, which was just :what:

Tracula posted:

:ohdear: talking about crackeddotcom is a trigger for most goons.
Is there a particular reason for this? I'm honestly curious. I thought Cracked was just sort of the same wheelhouse as Buzzfeed; overwritten clickbait schlock. Did they steal SA material or something?

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
"Masters of Doom" is a very fun read. Its funny how much its subject matter could be applied to the creative process behind music, movies, TV, etc. People from humble beginnings with all-too-human flaws rapidly gain massive fame and success, get giant egos, and strain everyone around them to the breaking point.

Also I am kind of curious about "Jupiter Ascending". Not curious enough to seek it out in the theaters, but it sounds crazy and weird enough (a lot of people are describing it as 'a light novel anime got a $200 million budget') to be worth a rental. The Wachowskis are nuts, and I think "The Matrix" sequels were godawful, but there's something I kind of like about their projects even if I don't quite buy into their ideas of freedom and expression. They very much reconstitute any adaptations they do to fit their ideals, especially "V for Vendetta" and to lesser but still noticeable extent "Cloud Atlas". At the very least, they're always interesting to talk about.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Idran posted:

I've honestly never heard that criticism for V for Vendetta; the main criticism I've always heard is that the original comic painted V with a more questionably-moral brush, while he's more blatantly positioned as the protagonist in the movie.
Exactly. The Wachowskis turn him into a vehicle for their ideals about expression and freedom and it feels a little weird given how outright brutal he is in the comics.

Alacron posted:

People really wanted an "edgy" Speed Racer?

Just... :wtc:
Ah yes, because something as batshit and laughable as this needs to be dark and edgy.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Also I never paid much attention to Star Citizen but goons often refer to that as a scam.
What about the goon who was going to restore the 16mm workprint of "Manos"? That dude dropped off the face of the earth.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Todd briefly covered the follow-up single, "Candy", which has a fantastic music video. Fun facts about this video; it was shot with early high-definition video cameras, all the way back in 1986! It's also directed by Zbigniew Rybczyński, who won an Oscar for a short film called :nws:Tango:nws: which you can definitely see the influence of on the Cameo video.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
I know 70-year-olds who have more patience with technology and computer expertise than Doug Walker. Jesus.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Hang on guys I need to post a deluge of paragraphs where I explain why “Battleship” is an objectively more accurate depiction of the psychological effects of warfare than “Come and See”, proven beyond all doubt by this 4,821-row flowchart that tracks all of the dialogue in the “Lord of the Rings” movies and is indisputable proof that every movie takes place in one shared universe.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Speaking of, RLM have done a new commentary track, this one for "Alien". I'm about an hour into it and its pretty good. Its nice to hear someone else championing the longer cut of "Alien 3".

EDIT: Oh wow, SFDebris is doing "Forbidden Planet" at the end of the month, which is kind of a perfect film for him. For those of you who haven't seen it, its basically a dry run for "Star Trek", and coupled with "The Day the Earth Stood Still", one of the first 'serious' speculative science fiction films made in Hollywood.

Robert Denby fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 15, 2015

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
My first episode of MST3K was "Invasion of the Neptune Men", which I just stumbled across one day as a kid. I got to see some of the final season as it aired, then watched the reruns for years and years before watching them online and on DVD became viable.

Miss Wallace posted:

The best episode will always be Space Mutiny.
Its definitely the best episode for introducing someone to the series.

Jack Gladney posted:

Joel left because of some undisclosed disagreement with Jim Mallon, who is the only MST3K guy to not end up doing Cinematic Titanic or Rifftrax--and the one guy none of the Best Brain alumni will discuss. Take that how you will.
Apparently the last straw was Mallon's desire to make an MST3K feature film and going around Joel to get what he wanted. Joel wanted nothing to do with it, but Mallon met with movie studios and pitched the MST3K movie anyway. Mallon also threw a shitfit when Rhino Home Video hired Michael J. Nelson, Kevin Murphy, and Bill Corbett on for a direct-to-DVD series called 'The Film Crew', which riffed of public domain or cheap-to-license titles. A few episodes of the show were finished and ready to go, when Mallon threatened to both sue Rhino and relinquish the MST3K license from them if they didn't drop the project because he deemed it to similar to MST3K. As a result, it was shelved for years but eventually released right around when Rifftrax started.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
"Codename Diamond Head" is pretty dull, and "Last of the Wild Horses" is completely unmemorable except for the "Mirror Mirror" parody that plays out over the host segments.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Jay O posted:

All I'ma say about Evangelion is that it officially joined the ranks of speculative future sci fi that now takes place in the past this year. THIRD IMPACT IS COMING, Y'ALL. :stonk:
I sent that exact screen cap to a bunch of friends on New Years Day. :allears:

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
SFDebris did his "Forbidden Planet" review a couple of days ago and as expected its pretty drat solid. He's exceptional at really giving context to the time period in which these films were made, and some of the political attitudes you see in them. I'd love to see him do something like "Silent Running" or "Colossus: The Forbin Project" as those are very underseen and have a lot of social commentary going on in them.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Thanks to whoever recommended Welcome to the Basement. I've been going through their backlog recently and its a lot of fun. Glad to see someone else was exposed to the craziness of "The Ninth Configuration".

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Jay O posted:

Escaflowne was a very special show for its time. Coincidentally, I just did a big podcast about it for ANN, as part of our "one ANNCast a month discussing a show in-depth" thing we're doin now, so if you want to learn more bits and bobs about Escaflowne or hear it discussed in detail, there you go!

Past in-depth on individual anime ANNCasts were Steins;Gate, Haibane Renmei, Earth Maiden Arjuna, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, CLANNAD, and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, if you want to check out any of those. It's always me, Zac Bertschy, and one special guest, different each time.
I've really been enjoying these so far, and I'm kind of tempted to track down "Arjuna" for as batshit as it sounds. Also you made me very happy for never getting more than an episode and a half into "Steins Gate" before giving up on it.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

I'd love for a show to not even go into specifics in a film, like do a retrospective on found footage, explore how the Blair Witch used it's marketing campaign to a genius extent and made it work, look at how films like Unfriended are pushing that idea even further, explore the V/H/S series.
That in particular is covered pretty well in a series of articles The Dissolve did.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Yeah I really didn't notice anything either. :shrug:
Same. I even had that quote in mind as I was rewatching it last year and was kind of mystified as to how it relates to "Lain" at all.

Also, I just watched SFDebris review for "Repo: The Genetic Opera", which might be the most angry I've ever seen the guy, and from what he shows of the film, he has every reason to be. Also I'm now very, very glad I haven't seen that movie. It looks like the worst attempt ever at making an instant cult hit.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
"The Way You Make Me Feel" by Michael Jackson. I can't believe I got a decent song.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Well Watamote was good. I guess the manga is still in the works?
Yup. Its even been licensed, and the seventh volume comes out next month in English.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
What if Zach Snyder's "Man of Steel" Was in Color? has gotten a lot of attention in the last few days. Its by a group called VideoLab, which given that this is their only video on YouTube, seems to be a new outfit.
It was number 1 in Australia for my birthday.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
SFDebris reviewed "Summer Wars", as usual having some interesting things to say about it, and apparently in May he's doing the third "Madoka" movie, which I'm very interested in hearing his thoughts on because holy poo poo is it a doozy.

Miss Wallace posted:

Movie Nights: The Infiltrator! Scott Bakula is accidentally fused with a space probe and turns into a ridiculous robot.

http://phelous.com/2015/04/28/obscurus-lupa/movienights/movie-nights-the-infiltrator/
I love the intro for Movie Nights. It really is like an 80s show intro, complete with going on just a few beats too long.

KKall posted:

But honestly, if I ever ended Brows Held High entirely, The Holy Mountain might be the last video I would ever do. Yes, the movie has a lot of mockable weirdness, but I think there's enough going on in it to warrant a serious take. But as another poster said, it's impossible to talk about positively without sounding like a pretentious hippie spaceman. So... sounding like Jodorowsky, I guess. I can't think of any other living filmmaker who's so disturbingly good at being himself, for all that means.

But yeah, I'll get to him eventually. Eeeeeeeventually.
"The Holy Mountain" is also amazing in that it was made for just $750,000 and has such an epic scale to it.

By the way, I know you weren't a fan of "The Devils", but have you considered doing any more Ken Russell? That guy is a goldmine of weird whether you love him or hate him, and its now actually possible to see most of his filmography without paying $60 for a used laserdisc or getting extremely lucky and catching repertory screenings.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Infamous Sphere posted:

He could do Women in Love and talk about the naked Oliver Reed wrestling scene. (What was it with Russell and Oliver Reed?) Which is the only thing I really know about that movie. I should probably actually sit down and watch some Ken Russell, although from what I've heard so far, this clip from The Goodies is pretty accurate.
How have I never seen that clip before?! :allears: One of the film's they're parodying with that clip, "The Music Lovers", is probably worth watching since it covers a lot of ground that would suit your show. Its a biopic on Tchaikovsky that goes into some detail on his on-again-off-again gay relationship, and has a dazzlingly insane performance by Glenda Jackson as Tchaikovsky's wife. The film very consciously switches between scenes of beauty and grandeur to some remarkably disturbing territory towards the end. "Women in Love" is quite good too, and worth watching just for the performances by Reed and Jackson.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
The first "Mortal Kombat" stood out because of gore and nothing else. The controversy surrounding the gore and outraged parents made kids want to play it in a "gently caress you dad!" kind of way. It's really not considered a very good game either. It just had this gimmick that made it stand out from "Street Fighter II" which was the only other successful arcade fighting game of the time.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Infamous Sphere posted:

DRUZE STRUZON.
Really that's just something I can't get over. These guys are so loving lazy they put this out without doing the slightest bit of proofreading to make sure that the name Drew isn't spelled with a 'Z'? I guess we can't all be smart internet guys like Dawp Walmukor, his brother Rawlf, or site mastermind Mirc Murrrchuros.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
They all stand pretty well on their own so no. I do highly recommend the first two though. "Mad Max" is a good, albiet disturbing thriller with the occasional car chase. "The Road Warrior" (aka "Mad Max 2") is a fun smash-em-up action extravaganza with some of the best stunts in movie history. "Beyond Thunderdome" I haven't seen since the early 2000s, when TNT played it seemingly every weekend.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

That and out of the 15 minutes of dino scenes, only 4 minutes are in CGI
Six minutes actually, although in some of those shots they're sort of invisibly going from animatronics to CGI (for instance this shot there's actually a cut: the first part of the shot is the animatronic T-Rex; as soon as the camera zooms in and you see the full body walking towards the vehicle, its become a CGI T-Rex). I think a big benefit of how good the CG is integrated is the amount of careful planning that was done. "Jurassic Park" and "Terminator 2" had to begin their CG work a good year before the release date; "T2" even had nearly all of the visual effects plates shot before production even began!

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

OldMemes posted:

The LP of The Bureau that a Goon did has a developer doing co-commentary, and he's pretty frank about production issues. He doesn't mention Spoony at all. It's a good LP if you're interested in game design - I watched it even though I'd finished the game myself.
You have a link to that? I've always wanted more about the actual production of non-indie games since the industry seems so closed off to anything except super-polished behind the scenes stuff that basically tells you nothing.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

OldMemes posted:

Waterworld is a pretty bad rip-off of Mad Max. It's only notable because of how expensive a rip-off of Mad Max it was.
What's ironic is that when "Waterworld" was being pitched in the early 80s (right around when "Road Warrior" came out) it was planned to be a relatively low-to-mid-budget movie. Then the script kept changing hands over the course of a decade til Kevin Costner got it, then it became the $170 million+ behometh everyone knows it as.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Infamous Sphere posted:

I nominate one of the first Dean Stockwell movies ever. THE BOY WITH GREEN HAIR. At first you think it's just a lame 50s kids movie, but then it turns out it's secretly communist. No joke - the director got blacklisted in the red scare.
Its actually a pretty interesting movie. A boy whose parents died in World War II has his hair turn green, at first thinking its some kind of stigma (both for having no parents and for having a deformity), then gradually realizes how it defines who he is as an individual, eventually learning that its a part of who he is and not something to be ashamed of. Heavy stuff for something aimed at kids.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
I was somehow under the impression that "Pixels" was directed by PES, who did Fresh Guacamole among other things, but saw that it was done by none other than Chris Columbus, who made the first "Harry Potter" movie, one of the most visually uninteresting fantasy films ever made. So visually he's the perfect guy to helm an effects-driven Adam Sandler movie, since he'll shoot even things that sound exciting on paper in the most lifeless way possible.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Movie Nights: The Adventures of Pluto Nash is out. Seeing how listless it is, I can see why it only made $7.1 million worldwide on a $100 million+ budget. I'm kind of surprised you didn''t mention that the movie was made by Ron Underwood, who also did "Tremors", and some educational films Rifftrax has taken on.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Miss Wallace posted:

I'm sure he just didn't have much to work with given the script, but who knows how much of it was rewritten as they went along.
I'm going to guess that when they hired Ron Underwood, Eddie Murphy was in place, they had a window of time they could shoot to fit Murphy's schedule, had sets and everything ready to be built, but when their top 10 choices for directors were all busy, they went with number 11 (kind of like what happened with "Jonah Hex"), and gave absolutely no fucks about turning in a decent script; just getting something, ANYTHING on the screen.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Although SVU sounds like it might give it a run for its money, I'll always have a soft spot for this clip from NCIS:
https://youtu.be/u8qgehH3kEQ

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Has RLM addressed why there's been so few Best of the Worst videos lately? Looking at their website there's only been four this year.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
I was just surprised by the drop-off in Red Letter Media stuff since they've got infrastructure and a rotating crew of people working for them; guess they're serious about finishing "Space Cop".

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

[...]Alison's home-brew guide[...]
I wouldn't be too surprised if an internet critic started a limited beer brand, what with the huge overlap between nerds and beer snobs.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Let's talk about how bullshit it is that the black and white version of the film isn't being put on the Blu-Ray disc, most likely so the distribution company can do some double dipping with a super deluxe edition.
Given that Warner did the same thing with the music-less version of "Gravity" that's probably right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

KKall posted:

I hate to self-promote on this forum, but I just want to say that I'm very very proud of this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH-E3LsLnaw
I love the enormous amount of research that goes into these. I'd always heard the Klingon's love of Shakespeare came more from the Nazis, and that it was originally Nazi propaganda that claimed Shakespeare was a German author who was forced to take on an English name and had his work stolen from him and translated into English against his will. Then again, the Klingons have always been kind of a catch-all metaphorical villain.

Speaking of, there's a movie y'all should check out called "Goodbye Lenin" that has some nods to the Soviets and their ilk reappropriating things for the purpose of propaganda. The concept of the film is a woman heavily devoted to the communist cause falls into a coma in East Germany right before the fall of the Berlin wall, and wakes up out of it a few months after East and West Germany are reunited. Her children decide to keep up a ruse that East Germany still exists, since their doctor tells them that a shock to the mother's system may trigger a heart attack. They go so far as to hire friends to create fake news casts they play back on a hidden VCR. There's a scene where the mother spots a Coca Cola blimp flying outside and is of course completely baffled. Later, she sees a fake newscast that states Coca Cola is now available in East Germany and that the formula for it was created in East Germany, then stolen by those pesky capitalist Americans.

• Locked thread