Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I love RLM, but I'm not looking forward to this at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'll still say the first half of TFA review was absolutely necessary to counter all the CD-esque prequel apologist revisionism that creeped in.

"Nobody hated the Phantom Menace until Red Letter Media..."

But yeah... I'm not looking forward to the Ghostbusters review at all because RLM has a huge blind spot with social issues, which at this point, is intentional. It falls short of malice, but there's a ambivalence towards "the conversation" that's off-putting. Like they'll want to weigh in on a movie that was huge "geek culture war flashpoint" but in a way that they'll still be above it.

If he brings up the whole backlash against the movie at all, it can be bearable if he repeatedly and decisively tells the pepes to shut up and go away before talking about the film's actual problems; but it's not going to happen.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The Ghostbusters review was not a trainwreck!

I could have done without the first 20 minutes or so with all the ranting about reboots and bashing Freaks & Geeks and Zach Woods. Like the review is decent once he acknowledges that the cast could have been great if they were given more to work with.

I have not seen the movie.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
My time in a New Jersey public middle and high school spanned from 1998-2005. I'm counting summer reading in this list.

Middle School Books: Hatchet, Number the Stars, Bridge to Terabithia, Tom Sawyer, My Brother Sam Is Dad, The Bloody Country, Night, A Day No Pigs Would Die, Anne Frank, Siddhartha, Locked in Time

High School Books: Scarlet Letter, Speak, Catcher in the Rye, The Hobbit, 1984, Animal Farm, Things Fall Apart, Anthem, Gulliver's Travels, Beowulf, Julius Caesar, Romeo & Juliet, Macbeth, Lord of the Flies, The Crucible, Frankenstein, The Odyssey, Canterbury Tales

I missed out on Gatsby and Brave New World. I wasn't really good at "reading" what I was assigned. The only book out of those that I aggressively hated was Anthem. I remembered the teacher I had for Frankenstein was very open that he hated the book and was only teaching it because he had to.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
In my high school class, Anthem was just assigned. Even if I didn't have 1984 to compare it with, it was quite obvious it was insufferably preachy and poorly written. And I wasn't a seasoned reader who read a lot of well written novels.

I'm not against Rand's books being taught, considering how influential they are. But I don't think high school English teachers are all ready to tell kids that the books they read might suck, and that it's good if you understand why they suck but struck a nerve.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
So.... the Honest Trailers guy is a creep.

Most accurate thread title ever.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I sometimes appreciate MovieBob as a critic, and separate that from his cryptically troubling politics. I dislike him less than most people here.

That "Part 1" of the BVSDOJ review is mostly a disclaimer for what the review is and isn't trying to accomplish, for better or for worse. Plenty of time is spent preemptively addressing defenses of the movie and possible counterpoints.

If you can't tolerate "criticism mostly trying to justify criticism", then don't bother. I personally find it interesting because he's the type of guy who's sometimes aware of how awful fanboy culture is, and wants to be self-aware, and often fails to be self-aware. I sometimes understand his more fanboyish impulses, with performative moments where he tries to "rise" above it and police other idiot neckbeards, even if it can be grating as hell.

I haven't seen Dawn of Justice myself, and I trust it's as bad as people say, but I've gotten plenty of entertainment seeing people trying to defend it and get shot down.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm a bit late, but I watched Lindsey's Twilight video.

I don't disagree with her main point. But I do think there's plenty of vitriol towards the Fast & Furious movies from wannabe intellectuals. Not Twilight-levels, but it's always been there; even after the franchise's turnaround starting with the 5th movie.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm starting Lindsey's Bright video. I haven't seen the movie, but I kind of wish she took the "Max Landis is a sexual predator" angle rather than "weird how this movie has no screenwriter" approach.

Edit: Margaret Cho was in this? :(
Edit 2: And Kenneth Choi? :sigh:

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 2, 2018

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Before the rape stuff, my exposure to Max Landis was limited to his skirmishes with Red Letter Media, his whole "Rey is Mary Sue" thing, and his condescending criticisms of the whitewashing criticisms of Ghost in the Shell. He just seemed like an rear end in a top hat Hollywood bro who benefited from having a famous Daddy who killed people. So I was surprised how many people admitted to liking him after the rape stuff came out.

I never made any "video essay" for youtube, but I thought about making a making a video revisiting the whitewashing in the movie "21" for its 10th anniversary. And I would so be like "I knew Kevin Spacey was an rear end in a top hat!". I don't mean this as a criticism of Lindsey.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I never said it wasn't fine.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Peter Coffin has a video on cultivated identity. It's not much new from his previous rants, but all of his ideas on fandom and capitalism are in one thing that's easier to share.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I still think Seth MacFarlane got a pass for doing the same thing: pandering to nihilistic white men. But whenever I point that out, people are all like "But Cosmos! Orville!" Like, I find MacFarlane's desire to nonetheless become an elder statesman of the entertainment industry to be quite off-putting, especially because of how he doesn't seem to be particularly remorseful for his critics that he kept punching down on.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I liked the South Park movie too. I occasionally like some of the stuff Trey Parker and Matt Stone make. Like, I enjoy the Book of Mormon, and I think it's a better handling of religion than anything a smug atheist would make. And because of South Park's nihilistic orientation, they're very willing to call out the hypocrisy of limousine liberal types; when mainstream comedy has largely not provided a genuine outlet for left-wing critique of liberalism. Too bad about the rest of its politics.

When it comes to MacFarlane's career, it's more the path of least resistance. This includes being lazy. Punch down on everyone. But don't indict white, male liberalism.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

achillesforever6 posted:

I think with Family Guy its pretty clear that Seth doesn't give a poo poo and if it can't be canceled, he can use the money and clout to do stuff like Cosmos or Orville, American Dad is still good at least.
I've seen this said a lot, but it always comes down to people "wanting" to like Seth MacFarlane, and excusing his bad work without addressing the actual badness of his work, and why it shouldn't matter.

Family Guy was racist and sexist, under the guise of "equal opportunity defender". Seth MacFarlane knew what kind of teenagers he was reaching when he created and ran the show, before it ever became a machine running on autopilot. And it's likely Family Guy's reach was farther than South Park's. We're now living in a world where pejorative lazy terms like "snowflake" and "SJW" are now mainstream rhetoric with young, reactionary men. And Family Guy was perhaps more insidious than South Park precisely because it kept projecting a common sense "republicans are stupid!" liberal atmosphere where the PC Police was still an ideological opponent.

I really don't care about Orville, but people keep bringing it up when people talk about how much they hate Family Guy the cartoon, or Seth MacFarlane the person. Like, perhaps I'd be more willing to give MacFarlane the benefit of the doubt if he expressed some remorse over specific group of folks he punched down on. But he hasn't. He's just pretending it didn't happen while collecting his paycheck still.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Yardbomb posted:

Yeeep, he can make whatever supposedly great poo poo he wants, I'm not watching it after a punchline was "Character vomits for like a minute straight because EUGH TRANNIES" until they make amends for being a huge turd, which'll likely be never so welp.
Really dumb anecdote: I had a Facebook friend who was friends with some of my friends in college who randomly linked to this clip on his timeline with a desciption like "lol" or something. I'm an asian guy who believes most people who casually reference the racist "Asians can't drive" meme don't intimately understand or care why it's more racist than at first glance. (You're not so much saying "Asians suck at driving", which is statistically untrue, but you're really saying "Asians ought to not drive.")

Anyway, I tried lightly challenging him on why he thought the clip was so funny. He replied by talking about how Family Guy is great and then some tangent on how The Simpsons hasn't been good since blah blah blah. I replied maybe The Simpsons could have been funnier if they did some ching chong jokes. He then angrily unfriended me, literally typing out "DEFRIENDED" for everyone to see. Still, no big loss. I might have been asking for it. But the story stuck with me for one reason.

He's a teacher.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

sexpig by night posted:

My favorite thing about about Seth is that every single project he does involves a prolonged joke about Asians and we just kinda never acknowledge that poo poo like Ted even has a random Micky Rooney level "AH CHING CHONG CHINAMAN" joke that seems extremely forced in for nothing.
I almost forgot this was a thing. Edit: I know I stretched this MacFarlane tangent for a while. I'll try to hold back.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

stillvisions posted:

We already have "The Academy Award Nominated Boss Baby" as a crux of shame for the Academy. I think that's more than enough.
I'm still glad that it pulled ahead of Ghost in the Shell in the opening weekend box office.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I always understood the prequel reviews as a way to "move on" from Star Wars. Like it was supposed to be the last, long conversation people were supposed to ever have about Star Wars. The most comprehensive analysis of the technical failures of those films.

But then Disney happened and we're now getting one every year just to torment Mike.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I haven't watched Lindsey's video yet, but the Hobbit movies just fill the "good enough" category for me. While I'd recommend anyone to watch TLOTR, The Hobbit I can only recommend to someone if they like TLOTR and its setting.

Like, I doubt anyone would argue they're better than TLOTR. But they aren't the Star Wars prequels our Matrix sequels. Those movies a labyrinth of weird decisions. The Hobbit's problems just don't feel... interesting? It's pretty standard "geek film gripe" stuff. Though, I'll watch Lindsey's video in a bit to see if she has some unique observations.

Ultimately I thought the CGI and action in the EE of the third movie was actually fun. Like, it triples down on Jackson's less popular impulses, escalated the battle to the point of absurdity, where I felt some of the passion going in to them again.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 29, 2018

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I still have a lot of bad memories of CD going through great gymnastics to justify ScarJo in GITS as not whitewashing despite reports of how they tried digitally using yellowface and that ScarJo's character ended up being an asian lady's mind in a white robot's body.

CD sucks.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 6, 2018

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I barely heard of Altered Carbon.

But Ghost in the Shell was whitewashed as hell. It's one of those "what more loving proof do you want?" examples of whitewashing, but CD kept on rationalizing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Roth posted:

I am excited to watch a white nerd defend whitewashing.
It typically begins with white nerds pretending that the allegations of whitewashing are being made by whiter nerds. And then they invoke their knowledge of Japanese culture and society and how because Japanese people in Japan don't have a problem with it, it can't be a problem.

• Locked thread