Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

The last thing I remember Matrix-related was when they shut down that MMO. It's a pretty dead franchise, surprisingly, considering how huge it was at the time.

Which kinda sucks. I'd love an all-out new-gen remake of Path of Neo or The Matrix Online (which I never got to play).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

OldMemes posted:

I saw American Sniper today - I don't think it's massively pro-war.

The impression I got of the complaints wasn't so much about it being pro-war (although that was part of it), it was about the fact that the movie takes a real-life kill-happy racist shitheel and portrays him as this conflicted, sympathetic soul, when in fact he wasn't conflicted at all. This was what I was reading before:

https://storify.com/RaniaKhalek/american-sniper-chris-kyle-in-his-own-words

and it has a bunch of excerpts from his book, with stuff like him saying "I loved what I did", "It was fun", and "The bullet went through two of them - the taxpayer got good bang for his buck".

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Gyges posted:

I don't think they really hate it. It seems more that they think it's getting undo praise beyond the usual bounds of I hate it, you love it lets grab a beer and talk about something else. Also, a lot of the praise, at least what I've heard, seems to be about things like the revolutionary method of filming over 12 years than anything actually in the movie. By which I mean I rarely hear anything about the things that could have been done by making the movie last year and just having it be about the last 12 years. Which is why their joke is pretty much 12 YEARS TO FILM!!!

Really? Pretty much every review I saw was more like "The 12 year filming schedule is an amazing accomplishment, but putting all that aside, it's a powerful, entertaining, affecting movie all in its own right".

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/top-ten-best-hit-songs-of-2014-pt-1-7149346

Todd's Best 2014 Songs Part 1 is up.

DStecks posted:

TODD: Katy Perry hasn't ever sung a song about her boobs

KATY PERRY, IN HER LATEST RADIO HIT: Let me get you in your birthday suit / It's time to get out the big balloons

Also he jokes about exactly this. Could be a coincidence, but... I wonder. :tinfoil:

BreakAtmo fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jan 31, 2015

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/top-ten-best-hit-songs-of-2014-pt-2-7149695

Todd's Best, Part Deux.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Oh my god, what the gently caress. This is the last thing I expected to hear. Absolutely horrible. :(

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Though he's not an internet critic, Miracle of Sound is also no longer part of Escapist.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Fans posted:

In Bioshock on the other hand you're never challenged or punished for being an objectivisit, hoarding murder hobo. The game world shows the pitfalls of Objectivism but the gameplay doesn't. You're rewarded as much for helping people as you are for loving them over for your own personal gain. Harvesting the girls for Adam should give you power, but be the making of your own downfall later on, but it ain't really. Other than what ending you get game doesn't give much of a poo poo and even the "Bad" ending you get for doing it isn't really bad as it makes you out to be some kind of world conquering badass.

I may be wrong on this, but I seem to remember that choosing to save the girls gets you better/more stuff in the long run, so that could be a small example of the gameplay saying that while looking out purely for yourself can seem immediately useful, it can gently caress you over in the long run.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Fans posted:

It's a toss up in my eyes, you get a lot more Adam for harvesting them to buy different powers, but you get given some free powers if you don't. None of the free powers are amazingly game breaking, so it doesn't seem to be the 'best' way to play.

Even if it did give you vastly better stuff for not harvesting them, the only way to know this is to play the game through again so it's not very effective at communicating this.

The packages you get also have ADAM, not just extra powers. I think it's something like:

Save a Little Sister - Get 80 ADAM.
Harvest a Little Sister - get 160 ADAM.
After saving 3 Little Sisters - get a package with 200 ADAM and special plasmids/tonics.

So it doesn't entirely equal out, but yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

I hadn't heard that before...I was under the impression that the fans hated Demo Reel and the lack of new NC episodes was hurting the site's ad hits, so that led to him going back to it. I'm glad at least he wanted to do it?

He did a whole video essentially explaining in narrative form exactly what Jay 0 said - that he realised he simply hit burnout with the NC and after a few months of not doing it started coming up with all these new ideas for it. As far as I know the idea that he was forced back into it for hits came entirely from people cynically assuming it.

• Locked thread