Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Cubey posted:

I was cautiously optimistic before the second Abrams Star Trek movie. Into Darkness was so lovely, however, that it really dulled any optimism I had.

It can't possibly be anywhere near as bad as the prequels, but I dunno. Maybe I've just outgrown Star Wars or some poo poo, but I cannot even force myself to look forward to it.

Wasn't it more on the writers making JJTrek 2 awful than Abrams himself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Benny the Snake posted:

What got me about Into Darkness was the overall sense of hubris. It was like watching an artist painting the Mona Lisa right next to the original and declaring his version to be equal.

That's what bothered me in a way too. Can we just do something loving new and not rehash old ideas or pseudo-remake classics? Part of me feels that when/if there's a third JJtrek film they're gonna somehow cram the Borg into it because of brand recognition.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
TB admitted that post he made years ago here was loving stupid and that he regrets the whole "Get cancer and die" thing. gently caress, compared to what you'll read people say here I'd say it's positively nice all things considered. Honestly I'm not a huge fan of TB but I really think people throw around a lot of hyperbole about him rather unfairly.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I have a soft spot for DouchebagChocolat when it comes to anime 'reviews' and I have no idea why. He's terrible but I think he knows he's terrible at least.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Hbomberguy posted:

Part of the joke of STID is that the institution has always been super racist - Khan is a genetically-manipulated superhuman from the Federation's dark past, and the punchline is he's the whitest guy ever. It's riffing on how despite the unity of humanity and the federation is a happy smiley postracial wonderland we promise, it still has higher ups mostly consisting of old white dudes and is mostly preoccupied with how it's going to start a war with The Space Foreigners.

In several of the best shots in the movie, Kirk and Khan/the Enterprise and the Vengeance are shot as if they were looking in a mirror at each other (and in several cases Kirk is literally looking through a reflective surface at him). The film is saying 'from a slightly different perspective, Kirk is already this crazy dude and his "science ship" is already capable of killing thousands.'

I know this might come off as overly hostile but what is it like to have to look at every single thing and find a grand metaphor for something larger? Sometimes a pipe is just a pipe and sometimes a poo poo movie is just a poo poo movie not a grand deconstruction of our societal feelings about race and the place of minorities in it and etc.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Yeah, those are fair points and I was being a bit too harsh :v: It just does get tiresome at points to see SuperMechaGodzilla-ish posts about films sometimes.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Since I live in Milwaukee, Wisconsin I just like to imagine that Plinkett is literally my neighbor and that I have a psychopath who tortures women and reviews the Star Wars prequels just a stones throw away :v:

Hbomberguy posted:

My favourite NC thing was when he complained that too much of Waterworld involved doing stuff, and things happening to things. Waterworld has problems (I know, what a surprise!) but its popcultural status as the worst thing ever seems to have tricked people into claiming creative and thematically-relevant set and prop design is bad.

It would be like complaining Heaven's Gate is bad because it's got too many beautifully-shot period-appropriate sets. Or Fargo is bad because so much of it takes place in the snow holy poo poo I hope they fired someone.

I dunno if it's cliche to say but Doug seems to simply not -get- things a lot of times. I know the Nostalgia Critic is played up for laughs but he does put a lot of himself into it. I don't know how he doesn't understand the main character being a pig in Porco Rosso or people wanting the dog to live in ID4. I'm sure those are the most obvious examples but there just seems to be a disconnect between Doug and what a lot of things everyone else understands or can just give a pass.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

OldTennisCourt posted:

With an extra disucssion of the best and worst of entrance themes. Bray Wyatt still has the best :colbert:

Anyone I know that's into wrassling absolutely loves Wyatt's entrance with the arena going dark and all his little "fireflies" lighting up as he walks to the ring.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I do find it a bit funny that Rich Evans dropped the word tranny during the latest Best of the Worst and nobody called it out here when people still get on Doug's case for it.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Kunster posted:

The reason why I didn't go "It's hosed up that Rich used that term" is because given just how much he shat his pants over being uncomfy with some hosed up stuff, he probably resaw the footage and went "Welp that's messed up". Also because if the reaction to "Their criticism of scifi movies is not exactly perfect" was well, that, then God forbid what would happen if the thread would react to "That's a rather unforutnate word choice from the most media darling of all the RLM crew".

That's sorta how I felt too. I'm sure that was just a bad slip of the tongue rather than something scripted and planned. Sorry if I made a big deal out of it, I just sorta felt like there was a mild double-standard from some people bashing Doug but letting all the off-color jokes in the latest BotW go.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Jack Gladney posted:

Video games can't be art because

lol

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Since Gone Home and Dear Esther aren't games can they be considered art then?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Mr.Radar posted:

As far as his TV reviews go just pick episodes that you recognize and stood out to you when you originally watched them, both good and bad. Unlike a lot of Internet Critics he does equally well at explaining why good media works as he does at tearing down bad media so don't be afraid to watch his reviews of good episodes/movies/etc. For Star Trek specifically he also has a few playlists centered around plotlines, alien races, or specific characters you can give a shot.

I enjoyed his analysis of The Hogfather film as well since he's a big Terry Pratchett fan and really knew what he was talking about.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

I don't know if this is horrible or brilliant.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Cyron posted:

please i am sorry. I am begging you . I am mentally ill. I was not right when i attacked you. I was wrong and deserve that probation. just stop dog pileing on me.

Are you secretly the 2012 era meltdown Spoony?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Gyges posted:

So am I the only person here watching internet critics out of pure boredom rather than self medication?

I usually just use them as background noise for when I'm playing games without any sort of real narrative like Monster Hunter or some multiplayer stuff.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Leal posted:

Brad should make it a patreon goal to review this thread, I'd throw some extra cash for it.

If this happens can Josh Hadley read one of my comments again? :allears:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I really want Spoony to review Big Trouble in Little China. He's said a ton of times it's his favorite movie ever and I pretty well love most of Carpenter's work and I'd adore if he devoted a month to the guy, going over his best and worst films.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Jsor posted:

Is it worth watching?

yes

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

DeusExMachinima posted:

Any thoughts on Razorfist in this thread? He's a decently witty/smug/funny metalhead crossed with the early eras of Zero Punctuation and Nostalgia Critic imho.

Shadow of Mordor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QP_sHJ5UHU
Street Fighter 2 movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Idrksk_55o

He ripped on the Amazing Atheist recently so I automatically was interested in him. #drama :sissies:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I1X-UH3GOQ

This guy is such a perfect douchebag that I would almost think he's a parody of the whole edgelord angry jackass reviewer. Seems he's genuine though.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

PiedPiper posted:

When Alan Moore said in one of his interviews that the fans of comic book movies tend to act like stubborn children, Razorfist made a video equivalent of "NO U", where he said that Moore's contributions to comic book medium are basically nil, he's a mediore hack and everything he ever did is garbage.

So edgy!

Said video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Arb_oPvXdM

My favorite little thing is that he makes fun of how Moore dresses. I'd take an awesome looking crazy hobo over some moron wearing aviators indoors any day.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

echopapa posted:

I liked the script and the editing of this show, but your friend should work on her voiceovers, which are too fast and mumbly.

I was gonna say the sorta same thing. Show seems neat but she needs to speak up and maybe invest in a better microphone.

Gianthogweed posted:

Speaking of Metalhead reviewers, There's also AlphaOmegaSin http://youtu.be/qqrLPp6n81Y Although he talks more about the gaming industry than reviews games.

His stuff is usually okay but he's the sort who's gone on long rants about Anita so your mileage may vary in terms of enjoying him.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Frank Miller is insanely loving racist these days too. Go watching Linkara's Holy Terror review for evidence. To be fair he always had some fascist leanings too as evidenced in the genuinely good Dark Knight Returns.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Double post but this deserves it's own: A Nod to Leonard Nimoy

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
The only thing I have ever kickstarted and ever will kickstart is Barkley 2.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I generally like Campster/Errant Signal but I feel sometimes he could use an editor or someone to run his opinions by first. Maybe he does have one and I do appreciate his insight but I always get the vibe that he's not really mulled things over sometimes or scrutinized his own thoughts. It's hard to explain.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Tae posted:

From a mechanical standpoint, saving the girls is superior in every way. You straight up get less useful stuff by going the evil route.

My problem with Bioshock is that I felt that playing evil was playing it wrong. Honestly a lot of games seem like that to me if you go dark side/evil/etc you should have been nicer or doesn't gel with the narrative properly. Amusingly Overlord kind of subverted that by letting you either be evil or REALLY evil.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

BigRed0427 posted:

Maybe more in the sense that the people who claim to be the good guys don't necessarily know what they are doing.

KOTOR 2 really nails it here I think. At one point you help somebody out and Kreia (the old grumpy grey Jedi in your party) asks why you did that. Normally as the light-side thing you say I wanted to be nice and save all the puppies and kittens in the universe and be done but her retort is that in doing so you removed his struggles and the person actually bettering himself since you just gave it all to him.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

WickedHate posted:

Then the guy gets mugged and killed for the credits you have him.

Senerio posted:

Meanwhile if you don't give it to him, he mugs some random other guy and Kreia yells at you anyway.

Exactly. It's not perfect but KOTOR2 actually empasizes that the universe is grey. Kreia doesn't want you to be good or evil. Interestingly if anything she's a genuine mother figure to the Exile and her whole point is that she wants you to think for yourself rather than follow any sort of rigid light/dark bullshit.

TheMaestroso posted:

It's interesting how much more memorable the second game was for me considering all of the development problems and that it was dumped off on Obsidian instead of continued by Bioware. Replaying KOTOR I keep thinking about stuff from the sequel, and I have to try a lot harder to remember things that happened in the first game.

Obsidian.txt. Their games are jank as gently caress but somehow they tell some of the most interesting characters ever.

Edit: Not saying KOTOR 1 was bad, SFdebris has an amazing playthrough of it showing how it's a really good homage to the original series but still.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 4, 2015

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

achillesforever6 posted:

A lot of quests in Fallout New Vegas end up like this

To add to this. New Vegas has really amazing gay and lesbian party members. It's never forced on you but just kinda comes up as who they are. It doesn't ever feel token which is what matters to me.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Going true 'grey' was still more light side than dark in KOTOR 2 if I recall correctly. I suppose I get sitting on the fence like Jolee is a bit more 'good' than being totally self absorbed though.

Edit: To be fair the end of KOTOR 2 was so insanely rushed it wasn't even an ending, light or dark.

Edit x2: I thought the original Infamous did a really good job making 'bad' not exactly feel like the wrong choice. It has been a lot of years since I played but I kinda got the feeling that pursuing power was a legit outcome compared to being the usual paragon bullshit.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 4, 2015

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Bethesda has a QA department?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

WickedHate posted:

Spoony never seemed like a truly bad guy to me, just someone who has a lot to deal with and doesn't always deal with it in the best ways.

I always kind got that Spoony wasn't much of a character since he never had a dedicated costume, odd as that sounds. I always figured that Doug was a lot like James Rolfe where it's literally all an act but with all that's come to light I'm not surprised he's genuinely basically a RL Daffy Duck.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 8, 2015

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Arcsquad12 posted:

Now admittedly i stopped watching Thomas after that movie came out, but the three first seasons hold a special place in my heart. I've got all of them with both the Ringo Starr and George Carlin narrations, and, as weird as it sounds, they are some of the best examples of world building I've seen in a children's television series.

It blew my goddamn mind years ago when I learned about this.

Edit: For all the poo poo I can say about Doug I really think his Shut up and Talk with Noah is important for everybody to watch since it does an amazing job of explaining how depression and the like goes for people.

Actual edit: And I know he's not associated with TGWTG but I think a lot of people get the whole "just a character" from James Rolfe where the AVGN is literally that. I've always heard James is a really timid and humble person IRL and nothing like what he puts on for his skits.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Mar 8, 2015

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

PassTheRemote posted:

Did Doug literally not understand...

This is literally DougWalker.txt in every regard. He does not understand anything every other person does.

Somehow I was wandering my thoughts and I recall him not -getting- Last Action Hero. I can get not liking it but holy gently caress. It's so blatant in what it is. It's like if you don't understand a pig flying as :thejoke:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

echopapa posted:

You ever see a small kid with a toy and they take it up to their mom and say, "Look, mommy! Look at the toy!" and then they just sit there waiting for their mom to confirm that it's OK for them to like that toy?

Sometimes I think TGWTG fans are like that. Just sitting there with their opinions, waiting for someone with a camera to be parental substitutes and tell them their opinions are OK. And occasionally trying to impress their video parents by doing things they think will impress them.

So harassment campaigns are just a hosed-up version of a toddler setting the house on fire while trying to make eggs for Mommy's birthday.

Expand this to 100 lines and ten paragraphs and you can be the next Hbomberguy.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Wheat Loaf posted:

I didn't dislike MoS, but I think I would have liked it better if it had been a bit less dour-looking.

I just hate that DC makes everything so grim dark. Not that the Marvel films are perfect or anything but at least kids can watch them and have those heros still. Kids don't really have a Batman or Superman these days unless they go back to the animated series for them.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

PresidentBeard posted:

Anita is probably the best person for it right now. People's anger at her for explaining really basic elements of gender studies classes is hilarious.

The most fascinating thing to me is any time she says anything or does any video the usual suspects (MundaneMatt, Sargon of Akkad, etc) feel this absolute need to answer and dismantle every single one. I just don't understand it. There's lots of people I disagree with and I usually shrug and move on or make a snarky post somewhere about it but I don't know why people have this need to destroy feminism any time it crops up.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Leal posted:

He also didn't seem to get that Last Action Hero was supposed to be a parody of action movies.

I was gonna post this earlier as an example of "Doug Doesn't Understand Things Everyone Else Does." I can understand not liking something or whatever but so many time's he misses the loving point and I do not get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Fans posted:

I think it's more just that it's hard to be funny if there isn't a problem. He's there to pick holes in the movie and over react to the absurdity of them. Hard to do if the absurdity of the movie is kind of the point.

Oh no, he genuienly doesn't get it a lot of times. I remember when Doug interviewed Noah for Shut Up and Talk they discussed Last Action Hero as a shoot without any character and Doug still failed to underatand it.

• Locked thread