Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I actually liked that change. It was the complete removal of the conspiracy of the church and moving the reveal of the titans in the wall to to after the credits roll that pissed me off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

FrankenVonVogler posted:

I'd defend the One Piece anime up until they get to Enies Lobby. There were always really obvious budget problems (it is produced by Toei after all) but they were still pretty creative with how they used what limited resources they had. The Zoro vs Mr. 1 fight in Alabasta is a particularly good example where despite how choppy and poor the animation is, the shot composition and the use of music still makes it visually compelling.

Well, that was when they put in effort. Early One Piece anime is pretty great, hell there are some scenes that I think are honestly way better than what we got in the manga, like when Chopper first uses monster point or when Sanji and Zoro team up to take down the fish giant or that scene you posted... But nowadays they don't do that anymore. Wish I could find it right now but I remember a clip from a recent episode that was four solid minutes of silence with everybody standing around looking shocked at something and nothing happens for four minutes. It's really bad now.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Bruce Hornsby & the Range - The Way It Is was number 1 on the Canadian charts when I was born.

Never heard of the band or this song, I wonder if it's any- :catstare:

I never knew Tu-pac covered a song for his biggest hit I just assumed he wrote it himself

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
"What should we have as our banner for our table?"

"Banner?"

"Yeah, so people know who we are"

"Just print Channel Awesome on some 10x16 and safety pin it up somewhere"

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Jsor posted:

Is Avengers 2 watchable for someone who hasn't seen a Marvel Movie after Iron Man 3?

Avengers 2 is the point where that finally becomes a problem.

Like, you can see literally any other Marvel movie as your first Marvel movie and still get a complete story. They're not all equally good, and there are running threads throughout the movies that you wouldn't pick up on if any given movie is your first, but otherwise the movies have all done a rather stellar job of being good movies both on their own and contributing to the larger movieverse.

Avengers 2 ditches that and depends entirely on the audience having watched, at the very least, Avengers 1 so you'd know what Loki's staff is, Captain America 2 so you'd know about Shield being destroyed while Hydra is still on the loose, and Guardians of the Galaxy so you'd know the finer details of the Infinity Stones. If you haven't watched those films, you're hosed, as they don't spend any time explaining anything that was explained in those movies, which is a problem because they all have things to contribute to this movie that you wouldn't know about if you'd just watched this movie.

So, yeah, ship has finally sailed, if you're not onboard with the Marvel movies then it's gonna be time consuming to catch up. Take up at least three whole movie nights.

Jay O posted:

Yeah, the movie was originally a 2.5 hour cut with a lot more character DO-RA-MA in it, and they made Whedon cut that stuff down to the bare minimum with greater focus on the action and plot.

And thank god they did. Benny's right, there's way too much tell and not nearly enough show to make for a interesting movie. It's written like a comic book. It's staged like a comic book. The only time the movie is visually interesting is when it's a just-barely-moving two page comic book spread, otherwise it's talking heads that should have word balloons beside them stuffed with way, way too much dialouge. It's still not tipping over into outright "bad" movie making but it's too mechanical and shallow for me to call it "good" either.

It's still entertaining, though, and it didn't drive me nearly as crazy as the first one did. Maybe I just care less? :shrug:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Jsor posted:

The issue with his works -- which you'll see if you watch more than one in any capacity, is his character voice.

Honestly I get far more annoyed by his blocking and camera work than his writing. He's a very flat film maker, he films a lot of very basic "talking head" scenes where character's spacial relation to each other doesn't matter, what they're doing doesn't matter, the blocking is extremely basic "go here, then there, sit down, stand up", it's not motivated by action, there are almost no interesting camera angles, no playing around with the language of film to tell the story, it's all dialogue.

The specific scene I'm thinking of is when Tony and Fury are talking in the barn. Tony kinda wanders around the tractor, hovers around it, picks up a wrench at one point, there are a couple of points where he gets mad at Fury but he doesn't move very far away from that tractor, and Fury comes out of the shadows and stands by, then sits, then stands again when saying something dramatic. The blocking is completely unmotivated, and the cameras are just kinda lazily hovering around, lots of medium shot reverse shot using lots of different angles from different cameras to create variety. It's sterile and boring, and Whedon does it all the time.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Jack Gladney posted:

Whedon is a tv director who describes television as radio with pictures. A weird choice for someone to make your action movie, now that I think about it.

I honestly think Michael Bay is a better movie director than Joss Whedon. Here's my thesis video (not actually mine but it says what I want to say)

Arcsquad12 posted:

Now you're just making me sad that Edgar Wright left Ant Man. That dude is a genius with his camera work.

I think Ant Man's gonna be alright

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Violet_Sky posted:

So Jim Sterling reviews a homophobic Steam Greenlight game.

It's less about the game and more about the piss poor content management Steam Greenlight has. He also doesn't have much to say on that, either, because... seriously look at the poo poo they're letting get released.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Tracula posted:

All I can really say is that's a pretty goddamn impressive set he has.

No kidding. There's a ton of detail and it looks really well done even though it still looks like it's on a budget.

That said, the writing and jokes are kinda weak, like, even moreso than usual. Though that one commercial kinda completely makes up for it. :allears:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Jay O posted:

This actually posted a few days ago, but I did a countdown of the Top Ten Legend of Zelda Songs, which was a mighty challenge, let me tell you. Viewer poll is also open on that so you can vote for your favorites! :)

you loving cheater, that's two songs for OoT, and number 1 is the poor man's Deku Palace :colbert:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I don't think anyone on this thread really takes MRA opinions on films seriously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m_X0TdbdmQ

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Man, I remember when Spoony made jokes and actually enjoyed lovely movies. Now he's just bitter and angry. :(

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

OldTennisCourt posted:

Fraser's biggest issue is that it seems like he's way more intent on trying to be a WACKY CHARACTER instead of just playing the game so he loses focus. This is pretty evident whenever they play RPGs and he just skips a ton of dialogue and then acts confused when he doesn't understand what the hell is going on or why things or happening.

I don't think he's playing a character. I genuinely think that's how he would actually play games.

Course I'm only speaking from experiences a couple years old, when I stopped watching because he was insufferably douchey to everyone around him.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

dijon du jour posted:

One time he uploaded a video that still contained multiple takes of the same line. Dude's just kind of a sloppy editor. I wonder if it's a problem with his editing software.

If he's using AVIsynth then yeah, I can see that happening. Otherwise, no, I think he is just a sloppy editor. He strikes me as the kind of dude that hates repeating himself, and also hates watching himself repeatedly, so he'll stitch together his best takes with the appropriate music inserted where needed but only scrub the video to make sure the stitches work, rather than watch the whole video because he's already said and seen himself say everything in it a dozen times. I also think he assumes audio ducking is enough and doesn't manually check his audio layers.

Course this is all just assumptions based on the quality of his videos. Considering it's his job rather than his hobby now I would've expected him to really put the work in to fixing his most common mistakes, but I suppose he considers pre-production research and preparation more important than post-production editing. I'm not even sure if he knows how to green-screen yet, which is common practice among his peers.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Mraagvpeine posted:

Why would he need to know how to green-screen?

I wasn't saying he needed to so much as wondering if he was knowledgeable enough in editing to figure out how. It's not a necessary skill, just an example.

Personally, I do appreciate it when people put in the work to make their videos look more professional than the average schmuck on youtube. That's why I used to love Paw's stuff, he had a really good eye for creating a visually interesting video when it's just him in front of a camera, it was a step up from pretty much everyone short of Red Letter Media and their full on studio.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Lindsay's talking about Mad Max. Just like everybody else. Thankfully the movie is great fun to talk about!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK0s4PZtdSA

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The only things I remember about Animorths was that I read them a lot when I was a kid, they were surprisingly violent at times, I really enjoyed stories where that god guy shows up and fucks with the group, and I never finished the series as my local library didn't have anything past I think book 30? A number of books higher than twenty at least, cause I read at least twenty of them.

Anyways, Lindsay has a new Loose Cannon, this time on Death. Naturally, in covering such a broad topic, she will leave out your particular favourite variation. Like she only mentions one anime, and I honestly never knew Black Butler had anything to do with grim reaping so it's a hellva weird choice when Death Note is, like, right there. So really it's less "Death" and more "incarnations of Death that are directly inspired by or hold to the same general ideal as 1957's The Seventh Seal"

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, she could have made the topic into an 8 part mini-series with hour long episodes and still have to make cuts and be picky about what she does and doesn't cover. Hell, she mentioned Thanatos but not Anubis or Hel, which is a pretty big indicator of how much she had to cut.

Death as a character is already a drat big topic to tackle, but that just raises the question of why the hell Black Butler is mentioned at all since that's more along the lines of death as a concept, since from what I gleamed from the video, there isn't one character called Death so much as an organization responsible for managing death, which for a series that supposed to be focusing on just one character is kinda stepping outside of the topic at hand, unless she had a specific character to talk about, which she kinda did with Black Butler but not really. Same with Dead Like Me, more of a mention without actually touching on, like, anything about the representative character of Death in the series.

But yeah, holy poo poo the amount of research behind this video is a number of manhours I do not envy. This is a seriously massive topic even just touching on characters explicitly named Death, which is I assume why she didn't mention A Christmas Carol's ghost of Christmas yet to come and others of it's ilk.

I could start a YouTube channel on this idea and never run out of things to talk about but I won't because I'm hella lazy.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

DoctorWhat posted:

PAGING SATANS BEST BUDDY

jesus dude, chill

:v:

Still thinking about that YouTube channel. Maybe just a webcam, no script, and a decent drink, I could ramble on about characters and poo poo vaguely related to death for about an hour, could be great fun.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Jurassic Park 2 is great and Jurassic Park 3 is terrible and I don't think I can understand the mindset that could result in people liking 3 over 2 beyond "really hates Jeff Goldblum" which, okay fair point, but there's just so much more effort that went into the second movie than the third that just makes it really confusing to me when people say that the third movie is better, it's, like, have you watched it recently?

Like I plan to, when I do a marathon of all three movies before going to see the fourth. Because I hate myself and my money and my free time. :shepspends:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

quakster posted:

Sounds more like a miniseries than a movie, that way.

Oh what could have been...

No wait I think TV sucked at the time, never mind, would be a cool idea today though.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

IronicDongz posted:

Trigun is terrible. So much screen time is spent with the main character trying to make you laugh but it's not funny at all.

People telling me that it is good is one of the main reasons I'm leery about anime recommendations now

I can't stand Trigun, mostly because Vash is so dedicated to his philosophy that it actively runs counter to his agency. I distinctly remember several incidents where dozens of people die because of his inability to act, and it really pissed me off at the time, not because I wanted him to go in guns blazing to take down the bad guy, cause that's not who he is and that's not what the show's about, but he also didn't do any damage control at all, or preventive actions, or try to think of creative ways to either save people or stop more destruction from happening.

I really liked the style, music, and tone of the series when it started and found Vash to be a really enjoyable protagonist, but by the end I hated him and his hypocritical beliefs.

achillesforever6 posted:

One of the most rewarding aspects of watching DBZA is watching the show evolve from monkey cheese :lol: meme humor to something that is consistently funny/edited. I'm glad that their patreon is doing really well

Pretty sure that's cause they got rid of the Naruto Abridged guy, who sucked as a voice actor and wrote poo poo jokes. Once he was gone the show got much, much better very quickly. Though that meant they should've technically been called Team ThreeStar, and now you know why that's a joke :v:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

OldTennisCourt posted:

Aren't all the things being killed in Doom literal demons and monsters? How is this some horrifying indictment on modern gaming? Doom's been doing this poo poo since the 90's.

Think it's because the visuals in Doom from 1995 are considerably more cartoonish and pixelated, which makes gore a lot more palatable.

Now that it's 1080p60fps with hyper realistic visuals, that makes the gore a lot more real looking, which makes it a lot harder to stomach for people who are squeamish.

I'm in agreement on that point, blood, guts and gore is more fun when it's unrealistic and cartoony, but when you can make out individual bones and organs then it starts being less fun and more... sadistic? Psychopathic? It stops being fun and starts being disgusting. I felt that was a problem with the last generation of games and helped contribute to isolating people who self-identified as "gamers" but I'm far too high on pain meds to properly articulate that line of reasoning right now.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Mraagvpeine posted:

I was looking around when I saw this, and I'm somewhat worried some idiot/bastard is going to follow those steps and manipulate people.

My brain melted a little when he said "Behavior is reinforced by rewarding good behavior and punishing bad behavior! THAT is a Direct Quote!"

From what? :psyduck:

yes I'm aware what it's from now, google told me

Tracula posted:

Game Theory is utter trash but the film theory stuff isn't that bad honestly. It's not good but it's not offensively awful either.

No, it's still awful. Just godawful.

He could have a decent show, there was a span of about a minute there where he was just playing a clip from the movie and talking about it and that one minute almost convinced me that he actually wanted to make a point, but then he said Buttplug! again and I realized that he doesn't give a rats rear end about the media he talks about or the ideas he's trying to speak on, he wants to Become YouTube Famous and will make as many dumb jokes, "hilarious" cheap photoshop animations, and stupidly over-reaching exaggerations as needed to keep himself YouTube Famous. The actual critical thinking stuff is secondary to trying to entertain thirteen year olds.

At least with film he's got a much larger pool of resources to draw from when making his "analysis" so he won't sound like as much of a dumbass for a while, compared to games where it seemed like the better part of his "analysis" was written by drudging up the darkest pits of GameFAQs.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Yahtzee makes his points, gives some info about the game and manages to get in and out in under 7 min. Not only that, he does it every week regular as clockwork. He manages to get a few laughs from me every video. You may not agree with all his opinions but he is a consummate pro and he puts many other critics to shame in terms of consistency and professionalism. There are other critics whom I have more time for who could learn a lot from him.

Agreed. He's also a drat good writer, and has an excellent sense for what would make a funny visual so the dozens of flashcards he makes each episode are always tied into what he's talking about at that second, which just makes his writing funnier when you can see the metaphor. He is often childish, low effort, pandering, and crude, but he's also legitimately funny and makes short videos, so he's still worth watching every week until he stops being funny, which will vary person by person and typically be the point where he calls out that one game you love for being poo poo. Yahtzee is a good critic, even though his opinions are secondary reasons to watch his videos.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Let's talk about Jurassic Park 3 some more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhncbBoopCQ

I love how indepth Cecil goes into how these movies get made, but still wish he'd go into how well the movie turned out just a little more. The lack of his own opinion makes the show into more of a fact-sheet than a review, and well he does say he likes it at the end, he doesn't really say why so much as he points out what other people complain about and contextualizes those moments, which is both shallow and beside the point.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Best part of the review was the Longbox of the Damned: Midsummer Nightmare advert at the end. :allears:

That's been pretty much all I've watched of Linkara for a while now, since he typically goes on way too long for his reviews when he doesn't have much to say about most terrible comics, though I noticed that this episode clocked in at under 20 minutes so I may start checking back again. I do wish he'd tone back the loud voice, though, you're not in an auditorium dude, your mic is like, right there! Use your indoor voice more! You can, in fact, speak clearly while also not speaking loudly.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

The original X-COM game looked good, but Spoony is nothing if not terrified of change.

Nah, it actually did look bad. Still not an excuse to be a complete manchild and shout about it just outside their booth.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

I swear, every time I see your avatar, it looks more purple than blue.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Fowl posted:

SFDebris does Iron Giant in his latest critique and puts the Superman bit as the closer :cry:

I was kinda surprised he wasn't into it, you'd think it'd be right up his alley, what with the whole being a fifties sci-fi period piece with considerably more competence than is usually expected of from the genre and a genuine love for that style. But then again, I haven't seen the movie in ages, so maybe it doesn't hold up as well as I remember.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Arcsquad12 posted:

Sage has a new Anime Abandon out and.... hoo boy, is the poo poo he's reviewing bad. Jungle loving De Ikou.

I'm always impressed at how Bennett manages to find crap titles that are so bad he barely needs to do any work. He just needs to throw a random fifteen second clip of the anime in question up, and it speaks for itself.

... well that was loving embarrassing.

Miss Wallace posted:

Hahaha, okay, here is the actual script excerpt, I screen capped it because it needs to be seen to be believed:

... not quite as embarrassing but still pretty drat embarrassing.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

achillesforever6 posted:

That's kind of how these things work where a bunch of people see the Angry Video Game Nerd and Nostalgia Critic getting a lot of views/making money and decide "Hey if I just copy this with a little spin I'll make a ton of money and become famous". And it works for a little bit until audiences get bored of the saturation of the same stuff so in order to survive, some change the format to be something new. At least that's my take.

That's a cynical way of looking at it. At the very least, assume that people who want to make reviews have passion about the things they want to review, but they just don't know how to format it as a review, so they find the most popular review shows and take that format.

Leastways that's how it worked way back when there was no money involved even for the big names like AVGN or Nostalgia Critic. I guess there are people who start review shows now who are thinking money first, but I can't imagine they survive long.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The random Gurren Lagann recommendation is probably what got all the upvotes.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Arcsquad12 posted:

I missed the loving conversation dipshit. How is asking what the hell is going on victim blaming?

Please read the thread. It was already explained.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

OldTennisCourt posted:

Okay am I the only one who is honestly getting tired of this joke?

Probably.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

BottledBodhisvata posted:

They aren't contributing to sentiments, they are generally reacting to them.

They're also reinforcing those sentiments by making light of and joking about them. Do I think George Carlin convinced someone to commit rape because he made a stupid joke? No. But I do think that his joking about rape contributed to making it harder for the criminal to really see how terrible his actions were, and harder for the victim to be taken seriously, because those views are already in place in culture, and instead of trying to dismiss those views people joke about them, which undercuts how serious the crime is.

Thank god I have no idea who Achmed the Dead Terrorist is.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Jay O posted:

Well, Summer anime season just started, so here's my traditional anime recommendation DUMP POST for the new season, should it interest anyone looking for steaming hot new streaming anime! But first, a Spring season recommendations post-partum: what held up from the season so blah that I couldn't even make a top five out of it? Not fuckin' much!

Quick question, why didn't you include Food Wars/Shougeki no Soma? I thought that was the highlight of an otherwise pretty drat barren spring season, so I'm kinda surprised you didn't mention it.

Also the fact that there's a new season of Dragonball, which, you know, is kind of a big deal.

Anyway, since nothing in summer has even released enough episodes for a three episode test, I'm mostly just waiting a bit longer so I can actually gauge some quality beyond a first episode preview of each series. I was peer pressured into watching Gangsta, though, and it's pretty decent so far, but right now I'm waiting and seeing before calling everything poo poo.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo, Kyle, change your shirt! And maybe get a fan in your room or something.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Wish I could remember the name of this one British PSA I saw during class that was basically an hour long movie about the dangers of living on a farm, it had a story and everything, revolving around this kid and his group of friends and they all die while playing hide and seek around farm equipment so by the end he was attending the funerals of like seven of his friends at once. Cause other than that all I've got are the Canadian PSA's and they were already posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

He quit because they threw their lot in behind the ethics in games journalism crowd.

Jim quit, moviebob was fired.

We know he was fired because he was tweeting about it the day it happened.

• Locked thread