Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oh, hey, looks like Jay Bauman is, out of nowhere, branching out into doing vlogs now!

He brings up some interesting points, but I'm not entirely sure I'm with him. Maybe in the followups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

New Half in the Bag - Inherent Vice and Oscar Buzz

Part two is on loving point. I'm not even gonna spoil it. Just watch it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Slate Action posted:

'Oh man, I wonder what Jay and Mike will have to say about the Oscar Nomi--' BOYHOOD? BOYHOOD! BOYHOOD BOYHOOD BOYHOOD

e: I've realized that while I find Jay and Mike really funny, unless they're talking about something like Jack & Jill I actually kind of despise them as film critics.

I couldn't disagree with you any more, and honestly Boyhood deserves every ounce of hazing it gets. There are tons of better films out there with good acting, gripping stories, and actual character and style to them that could be getting attention, but instead people are focused on fellatating Boyhood instead.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Jack Gladney posted:

Everyone involved in casting Star Trek is racist because they use their lack of race hatred to justify perpetuating a racist system as "just the way things are." That is racism and they are responsible for it.

They're racist because they don't hate another race? You're gonna have to explain that one because that doesn't make a lick of sense.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Cyron posted:

so how about them internet critics. What are the rascals at red letter media up to lately?

Releasing a new Best of the Worst, that's what they're up to.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

It's funny how so many people who consume RLM media don't 'get' RLM media. Plinkett is kind of the perfect combination of the cynical sides of both Mike and Jay, the things they find awful and disgusting. Watching the stuff Jay has made on his own really shows how much of the Plinkett character comes from him, the things he's afraid of and finds disgusting. All of it they kind of pile onto him to make as revolting a character as possible, which is entirely the point.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

the trouble with plinkett is the same trouble as all satire:

you have to be exceptionally good at parody, tone, acting, and raw writing talent to make that kind of parody "work" for everyone. Stephen Colbert is that good; the RLM guys are not.

Yup. You've got it totally right. Look at these hack frauds, editing, acting, building sets, doing effects, and producing content on a shoestring budget. How dare they hope to attain the comedy heights of an international star with all of a channel's weight thrown behind him.

They just don't have the talent, they should give up.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

PresidentBeard posted:

ACES Sephiroth expressed the exact same point as you without coming off as a hyperbolic whiny baby.

I responded in the exact manner that post deserved, respond in kind so to speak. RLM, as a group, has far more talent than Colbert has as an individual, I don't even see how this is an argument that can be had. Their level of dedication to their films, side projects, and art is what more people getting into filmmaking should try to emulate. Each person has their own style, and it shows through, even when working collectively individual facets of each person stand out.

Comparing them to a huge, polished television show and calling them worse than the face of it is a huge insult.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Tracula posted:

Since I live in Milwaukee, Wisconsin I just like to imagine that Plinkett is literally my neighbor and that I have a psychopath who tortures women and reviews the Star Wars prequels just a stones throw away :v:

I'm pretty sure you can hit two with one stone in this city without trying too hard.

And honestly, as much as I deeply respect Mike and Jay, and the rest of the RLM crew for their attitudes towards filmmaking and dedication to doing things themselves and not falling into the some of the other pitfalls other small time guys who got relatively big did, there are aspects of them that do piss me off. Mike being a curmudgeonly workaholic in particular kinda blows from what I've seen on the PR streams.

Edit: In other news more directly related to the topic, I recently discovered Regular Car Reviews, and even though I know nothing about cars at all, they're really informative and entertaining. Does anyone else watch them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE1jZ6dRJWU

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 20, 2015

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

e X posted:

Why do you care, this has literally no effect on you.

Why does anyone care about anything regarding internet critics? Why bother having a thread to talk about them? Who cares what guys have to say about films or on social media and stuff.

Seriously though, what's the matter with caring? JB50 put it best though:

JB50 posted:

Am I not supposed to? Is this GBS now?

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 20, 2015

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

How is it weird? He's kind of an rear end in a top hat when he isn't working on a project, and he gets pretty pissy about stuff very easily when he's not actively working on something like a shoot or whatnot. It doesn't make his work any worse, but it's kind of a personal blemish that comes through to watching his other stuff.

I mean at least he doesn't go on huge twitter rants when he's frustrated at least. He just gets kinda rude and snippy. I don't think finding out that a guy you respect a lot is kind of an rear end in a top hat in real life and being troubled by it is a weird thing though but whatever.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Feb 20, 2015

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Jack Gladney posted:

I think she's pretty funny. I like those two Canadian guys too. They should get that beard guy's spot if they ever move closer to the studio.

No way man, bump Len K up, he's the best :swoon:

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Feb 20, 2015

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Hbomb, what you're going on seems to be more of a Tolkien 'applicability versus allegory' thing, is that what you're going for? Obviously it's not a 1-to-1 perfect match but it seems to fit better than auteur theory in this case.

That said, I think both sides have merit but that's not really relevant to the conversation, just an opinion.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

I think you're going to have to further define what you mean by a 'classic review'.

Obviously he's thinking of something like this

DStecks posted:

Has Jay ever done that with his hair before? Because... nice. :kimchi:

Between that and the beard finally filling in, he doesn't look like a disheveled hobo living out of a garbage bin anymore. I find this almost disappointing.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

DoombatINC posted:

Internet Critic Discussion Thread 3.2.3.4.4.2.3: And

For the love of God, this needs to be the new thread title. :allears:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Rich Evans' prank calls - the gift that just keeps on giving:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZNNk14MpEI

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Goddamn I wish someone would just drop a moratorium on gamergate talk already. It's the worst thing.

Here, have a new Regular Car Review. It's a '95 Roadmaster Sedan. It has wank jokes. It's something, anything, other than gamergate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooFWD5w6pXA

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oh thank Christ, a new Best of the Worst, save us from this, Rich Evans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NTaoheLMvM

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

RahXephon is more Raideen than Eva anyways, just with a heaping helping of classical music inspiration. Mind you, enough music focus that music is to it as religion is to eva, but still. Though how the ending came out of nowhere confuses me, given the main character's name and what it drew inspiration from.

This anime talk has gone on forever though, so have some canadians talking about Space Cop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0hLvkA5eVE

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Cyron posted:

Wiiu is the best console atm and it sucks nintendo is shity on youtube.

On Youtube? More like lovely everywhere. Aside from what's already been said, they've been going against speedrunners using glitches, TAS runners, basically anyone playing their games in a manner they don't approve of. They've been taking down videos on Nico like crazy, and been trying to leverage more power to take stuff down.

They're a pretty lovely company all round.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35T9I7lSD_g

Aww, it was staged. That's a bit boring. But the audio track :stare:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

To break up the anime chat, new Half in the Bag - Furious 7 and It Follows

How I didn't see this when they uploaded it, I have no idea.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'm totally okay with riding the superhero film train over and over again, because they're actually fun to watch. I'd rather watch a million fun movies about dudes in brightly colored costumes beating up hammy supervillains than the glut of dreary cynical bullshit that just seemed so everpresent for a while.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The Vosgian Beast posted:

One person's fun is another person's tv troper elbowing you violently in the ribs and telling you how much fun we're having.

Sounds more like you're just insufferable and mardy. It takes a real git to get angry at folks enjoying something and shouting loudly into space about how they should hate it and how worthless it is.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

It is really, really, deeply okay that you are enjoying movies I don't enjoy. I don't like them. Neither of us are assholes for this fact.

I don't know about cinema, I just really hope they start failing because most of them bore me to tears and I keep getting dragged to them.

I dunno, wanting things to fail just because your friends like you enough to have you around and engage in things they like kinda makes you an rear end in a top hat.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

DStecks posted:

You didn't say you don't like them. You said you want them to fail. I viciously dislike Nicholas Sparks movies, but I don't give a flying gently caress about if other people go see them, or how much money they make.

Basically this. You say you don't want to be a party pooper but you also say you want a bunch of people to lose money and jobs, and for your friends to be disappointed because you don't like something. Because if they start failing, that's basically what's gonna happen.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Careful, Warren J. Marvel-Disney will hear you and shut down all of them forever and fire everyone who makes them.

And you say you're not an rear end in a top hat. :allears:

As for internet critics, there's a new Previously Recorded out, this time on Bloodborne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTf-_FnGz68

Even though I don't usually agree with Jack on gaming fronts, I have to say, I do agree with him a lot on his feelings of discovering poo poo for yourself in games, that's the most fun you can have right there. And after their talk about it, I now really feel that he and Rich would absolutely adore La Mulana. Or hate it. I'm not sure.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Man, I wish they didn't post that so late tonight, but I guess I get to see what they thought of Paul Blart Mall Blart 2 when I get to work.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oh god, here we go, Half in the Bag covers Age of Ultron

Rich, what the hell are you doing with your face, stop that.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRbTMYflcyY

yesssssssssssss :allears:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oh man, Mike is on point lately with some of these quips. :allears:

Edit: Oh thank God, Rich shaved. Hallelujah.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 27, 2015

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

I love how they're all perplexed and horrified by Mike's sudden burst of altruism at the end.

"Why is that weird?"

"Because you're a monster!"

Jack. :allears:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yahtzee is one of those weird ones where, even though I don't like his opinions most of the time, I'll still give him a watch just because he's entertaining. And that's a good enough reason to burn a few minutes a week on.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oh poo poo, Jack and Rich are back to doing the E3 thing again, special appearance by the weird larval merkin on Rich's face:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMqJWo1XMAs

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Wrageowrapper posted:

It started on their Star Wars Christmas special (the first part), no one wanted to talk about the film so they just kept replaying the Ishtar trailer and it sort of grew from there.

Edit. Why do I know this?

It hit its peak during the last RLM stream-a-thon where they replayed different versions of it during breaks, notably the super slow version Beefstew posted.

Hopefully it hits BotW soon. :swoon:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

This discussion is boring and stupid.

You know what isn't boring and stupid? Ishtar Space Cop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28OEdVi-FPo

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

It's like people don't realize RLM were amateur filmmakers first, hack internet reviewers second.

Not like anything can beat Jay's masterpiece of Pork Pork in Space but still.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

You may not care, but it's where their passions lie. Their on-the-side internet review stuff blew up, but they're still primarily amateur filmmakers.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Matthewmatosis on youtube is honestly among the best game reviewers out there right now, and it's great because he doesn't do stupid skits, doesn't go on camera, and talks both broadly and in detail about the games themselves, their gameplay, aesthetics, etc.

His reviews on Metal Gear Solid and the Mario series are particularly excellent. He's one of the few people who seems to "get" Kojima and actually analyzes the stories in a great way.

I've been watching his MGS series stuff, and I'm currently up to MGS3, but I think it's being really generous to say that he "gets" Kojima, or a lot of MGS stuff. Going on a long, whinging tirade about the hover troops or saying that the Pain/Fear bossfights are "stand in one place and shoot with a gun" kind of show him not getting a lot of stuff.

He's still leagues better than most, mind you, so I can't really say too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

BottledBodhisvata posted:

He's pretty spot on about the Pain fight. It's a stupid location for him to ambush you. In any other room in the game, the Pain would be a much, much harder fight. If you fought him in the Fear's location, for instance? He'd be able to move around and you'd get chased by bees and not be able to dive underwater to escape them.

It would've been harder, but there's still more to it than just standing around, shooting guns, and waiting for him to be vulnerable. Cooking off grenades to blast his bees off before they can carry them away is just one example of using tricks to speed up bosses that the game has. Same with the Fear and tricking him into eating poisoned stuff, or cutting Fury's suit. It's just being disingenuous.

And the complaints about technology really stick out to me, because, you know, this is a series where in the newest installment we have all sorts of advanced tech way beyond anything there is now, but way back in the 80's. Getting bent out of shape on anachronisms is like the weirdest thing to do in a Metal Gear game. And suggesting having to do a little minigame in the cure screen stands out as particularly terrible. And I think that getting Kojima kind of requires getting past the whole gameplay to story ratio he keeps harping on.

• Locked thread