Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

OldTennisCourt posted:

You realize it's a really garbage time for movies right now right? Like, what else is there to see?

There's a huge difference between "technically" #1 like Nightcrawler was with 10 million dollars, and American Sniper which is making close to 100 in its opening day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

senae posted:

most triple a games are mostly derivative trash and most indie titles are simple/small enough to ignore the derivative portions, and tend to have some piece of innovation or good design that overshadows the rest. hth.

Most indie games are trash, hope this helps you hipster.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Cubey posted:

I'm not sure many people have particularly high hopes for a new Star Wars tbh

A lot, you're confusing the internet cynics with actual people.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Did he also apologize for saying that white privilege doesn't exist.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Totalbiscuit and white privilege, or how it doesn't exist in his white, male mind

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The best thing about waterworld is that apparently it was popular enough for it to have its own theme park section a la Shamu event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCbw9abOFwI&t=1137s

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The last time I went to the escapists, their forum front page thread was a poll on rape being good in games and basically the thread consensus was "yes" with arguments about murder and stealing in games anyway. Because yeah.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I can name at least 3 super heroes in comics that were born off rape, let's talk about that

here's one, Raven

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

To be fair, it's probably been retconned because DC reboots their universe like every 5 months

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I actually do want to listen to a podcast about the latest royal rumble, because the whole situation seems fascinating on what happened, but I'm too afraid to get into a huge jargon meta cast.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Once a kickstarter gets their money, they are in no responsibility to actually produce on the whatever you put money for.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Jack Gladney posted:

That seems like something that will eventually destroy kickstarter. I'm shocked there haven't been more high-profile frauds. I actually can't think of a single one.

That's because the super high price kickstarters that get their money are either from companies/people with previous recognized work (Obsidian, Double Fine) or have playable demos and detailed explanations on where the money goes. But mostly people that have done previous work known to be reliable.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

From a mechanical standpoint, saving the girls is superior in every way. You straight up get less useful stuff by going the evil route.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

Are there any video games with moral choice systems where the "good" side isn't the right side?

These are mostly games that tie more into the definition of chaos vs. Order. Tactics Ogre on PSP has you make a major choice in the beginning: 1) Help massacre your own village to start fake patriotism or 2) Don't help and defy. Number 1 is the Order path, while Number 2 is the Chaos path.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

South Park Stick of Truth was so bug-free that people forgot that was Obsidian.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Marvel has actual deities that warp reality, so it's true the norse figures aren't really Gods.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Marshal Radisic posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't The Order in development since 2010? And wasn't it even supposed to be released last year, only to be held back? I'm honestly wondering if something went wrong in development (bad team, unreasonable publisher, who knows?) that no one's talking about.

No, it's just a game developed by a team that primarily did PSP ports and one Wii HD re-release. And if development started in 2010, than a lot of that work was basically scrapped because the idea of current consoles didn't even exist then.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

God is considered and referenced as a singular being as well in the midwest. Specifically a he, with a son with many chapters directly talking to each other as if he was a singular being.

Singular.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

OldTennisCourt posted:

Also the other big problem for Wrestlemania is the rest of the card is pretty poo poo in general.It might not be the worst Wrestlemania, but it might be the most boring/forgettable aside from the crowd reaction to the end.

You have to actively try and make it worse than I think WM 20 when Brock Lesnar and Stone Cold Steve Austin literally just stared at each other and did basically nothing for the entire match.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'm told the WWE Network has a bunch of ESPN style documentaries that are good intros to wrestling.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

That's just a fan theory that became popular because people love talking about depression when they don't have it. EoE has been in development long before the funding was cut from the show because of a combination of corporate pull-out and possible embezzlement from the company president.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've never watched NGE because the hype around it sort of puts me off. I liked Martian Successor Nadesico, which was popular at the same time but approached the same genre from completely the opposite direction.

You mean the show that arguably ended more grim than Evangelion?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Isn't sankaku that pedophile site

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

RahXephon was just a gritty reboot of Raideen with some obvious do-not-steal characters. As for Fafner, Secret Organization vs. aliens is not an Eva thing. It's just generic.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

There is a whole white list program thingie that basically involves a poo poo ton of paperwork when the end result is Nintendo getting some percentage of revenue regardless. That's why most sites stopped doing it on youtube and link to their twitch stream for the VODs at this point.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

A large part of Gundam's popularity are the games and more importantly, plastic ware or Gunpla specifically. Two things that are not available in the US for the most part. It's just a cultural difference, like how PS4/Xbones are incredibly huge and profitable in the states but absolute garbage fire in Japan because it's mobile or bust.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Jay O posted:

That's absolutely true, but at the same time, Gunpla's definitely available here too! You can even buy Gundam kits and models at Barnes and Noble! (Not the crazy amount of selection they have in Japan, but all the major stuff that gets released at least.) It's just like Gundam movies and TV where a small but passionate contingent of people buy them. It's a niche within a niche.

What state do you live in, because I have not seen any toys in Barnes and Bobles, let alone Gundam.

Mad Lupine posted:

I want to say that SEED and SEED Destiny killed any chance of Gundam being popular in the West. It was that bad, IMO. drat it had some nice plastic model toys though.

It had nothing to do with the show quality, it was because Toonami kept moving SEED in time slots without telling anyone. It was prime time, then late night, then super late night, then at one point was airing at 5 in the morning. It's how FOX killed their shows unofficially by moving them to Friday nights.

It's really laughable that you think quality in any medium, whether anime or not, ultimately determines popularity compared to how much marketing power it gets.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Genetic Toaster posted:

I'd post the videos of Joe being really loving awkward when he's interviewing people (I think Keighley and Felicia Day are two of them?) but I don't want to search for them because they're so cringe.

That was also like 5 years ago.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

surf rock posted:

Oh poo poo, I need to look into this podcast. I was a kid and super into wrestling at that time. I still fondly remember characters like the Undertaker, Kane, the Rock, Triple H,

Funny thing, most of them still wrestle as recently as a few months ago. Triple HHH is basically the new head of the company. I think Mick Foley wrestled in a different company as far as 2011.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Bad Wolf posted:

VHS used to be insane back in the day. You could order the opening mini-series of the Transformers or GIJoe cartoons (5 22 minute episodes) for the low, low price of $40. It gets better when you adjust that number for inflation, then it comes to 87 dollars in today's money.

I was the worst kid because I wanted to follow DBZ but my mom wouldn't get cable, so she instead bought the VHS tapes. They were like 3 episodes at most for 30 bucks.

I don't even want to imagine the cost after it was all said and done.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The problem with Neo-Sabin is that, until the latest show, they are lazily copying and pasting the sentai seasons except worse because of how the seasons work with Nickelodeon.

And that apparently stunted their actual writing efforts because there's a severe noticeable difference in Acting Direction when they switched to a mostly original show in Dino Charge.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

e X posted:

You know, I sometimes thing that Linkara is hurting HOPR by absolutely refusing to stalk about the Super Sentai. It's fine if you don't care about it like he often says and I don't think it needs to to be as detailed as his Power Rangers analyses, but if you start with the thesis that a lot of the problems of Samurai were the result of a direct translation of the Japanese plot, it might be pretty useful to actually talk about the Japanese plot.

Wat Rebochan just posted was pretty interesting and actually explained a lot of things with the series, how and why they were done in the Japanese original and why they might not work when adapting them.

That's a dangerous path to fall into, because half the problem of watching Shinkenger is that it's another 40+ episodes to watch (except he has to pay attention even closer because it's not in english) and the other half is that the whole series is badly translated by the most popular source. There's another group that is subbing it, but they haven't done all the episodes.

Otherwise for the most part, not talking about the Sentai isn't a big deal because if the writing is so fundamentally clear that it just copy+pasted, he can be unbiased say that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

He made like a 20 minute video on unopening a video game box, and it was still unopened when the video ended

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

LPing hasn't faded, but mainly because it exists partly now as an archive for twitch streams. It is also one of the more popular and direct impressions of a new game that's released, because they're not restricted by embargo or absurd contract obligations some companies put on game sites.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Paladin posted:

Just out of curiousity, everything I read about the Old Days of Animation (the 90s) and a few vaguely remembered books said that voice actors had always had incredibly weak bargaining positions, didn't do well with royalties, etc. I heard that one of the reasons so many 80s and 90s cartoons had extraneous songs was that, due to music royalty practices, it was one of the only ways voice actors could get consistent royalties from shows. Any truth to that? How has it changed in the past fifteen-ish years?

Basically union jobs are very good for VA's. Non-union jobs like most non-triple A games and anime are poo poo pay with horrible work conditions, and if they want an old VA back, they basically have to agree to them not being listed or under a fake name.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Generally a lot of countries, not just Japan, have a slightly bigger profile for VA's because of dubbing major films. USA does not have to nor do they frequently dub over the latest bollywood or major french film as a major box office draw on a constant basis, but China will need all hands on deck to voice the latest Transformers, Terminator, Marvel movie, etc.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I wonder if the money-to-backlog ratio is worth all the random anime. It's been a while, but I think he got paid a huge amount to review that lesbian robot anime?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Which one can't fathom playing games because he's such a workoholic?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

Code Geass wasn't bad or anything, but would it have gotten as much attention as it did without all the CLAMP designs?

I did as much as Clamp did. The character designer is the same as the crew that did Gun X Sword, the previous series done by the same team. Clamp was a marketing gimmick, they barely did anything.

Takahiro Kimura also did the designs for Gaigaogar and Godanner as well. He does the super-lanky skinny thing as his style.

Code Geass was cool because it had a protagonist that, even rare today, just murdered and manipulated everyone with such charisma and theatrics.

Eureka Seven is worse by virtue of its sequel existing and making GBS threads on it. I can't watch that show without knowing the whole premise is sabotaged and racial difference wins the day.

Tae fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 11, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Every part about the website is horrible except for 1-2 threads a sub-forum, apparently this is news?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Them playing games is a patron tier thing, right?

• Locked thread