Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Eh, I'd still say 2013 was worse overall. 2014 might have had lower lows, but there were a lot of songs this year that I really, really liked, whereas 2013 had pretty much none.

Although I don't think 2014 was as good as 2012. Yeah, I know it actually came out in 2011, but it didn't chart in the US until the next year, and everyone knows that's what really counts. :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

ZakAce posted:

Can't wait until Part 2. :allears:

It's going up later tonight, according to Twitter.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

If that part about him just up and going to New Orleans and shooting Katrina victims who were looting stores is true, then HOLY gently caress :stare:.

Good news: it almost certainly didn't happen. He also had a tall tale about shooting two guys at a gas station, but that the police report was swept under the rug by the Pentagon.

Honestly, I'm not entirely sure what to feel about the guy. Dude kept running around saying some pretty horrible poo poo, but he was also clearly suffering from some pretty severe PTSD and who the hell knows how that could have affected his judgement.

OldTennisCourt posted:

it kinda seems like a bunch of people who haven't seen it making assumptions based on trailers and idiots who see any movie with soldiers in modern war going "HELL YEAH, I NEVER KNEW HOW EVIL THOSE PEOPLE WE'RE FIGHTING ARE".

I'm almost certain a pretty obvious anti-war movie was made a while back that had people unironically making those same kinds of tweets.

I haven't seen American Sniper, but this seems pretty spot-on. For the second point, you might be thinking of The Hurt Locker?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Metal Loaf posted:

Serious question: can anyone explain to me what the appeal of PewDiePie is?

PewDiePie is comedic savant and MLG superstar compared to DarkSydePhil.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Honestly, I'm sort of surprised he hasn't done Ice Ice Baby yet.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

WickedHate posted:

It was weird how Todd's section on it in the Worst of 2014 video was mostly about the actor in the music video.

That's Adam Levine, Mr. Maroon 5 himself. Honestly, I'm a little sick of people describing things they vaguely disagree with but lazily want to sound worse than they really are without any clarification "gross," but...... Jesus Christ, that song was really loving gross.

On the other hand, Sugar is probably their best song in a decade. Not that that's a particularly high bar to clear, mind you.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 3, 2015

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

I feel as though I might like Maroon 5 songs if they had a different singer. "This Love" wasn't a bad song, nor was "She Will Be Loved" (though it was boring) nor "Misery".

But since "Moves Like Jagger" and (especially) "Payphone" I've found Adam Levine's voice on record to be genuinely unpleasant to listen to.

Harder to Breathe and Makes Me Wonder are both pretty good tunes, and would be even better without Human Recorder Adam Levine.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Hey sweet, no more hbomberguy and Jay O slapfights means this thread might actually become readable again.

Wait, people are arguing about religion in the Internet Critic thread. Never mind.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

lornekates posted:

The videos are a narration of the 5 part article "Opinion Why Feminist Frequency almost made me quit writing about video games". The articles (essays, really), are insightful and well written. They're a bit long (hence the readings), and get very in-depth-- but then again, if the stated goal is to have a well reasoned, thoughtful and researched discussion about a topic rather than just screaming Twitter-length talking points louder than your opponent, well-- you get essays.

Part 1:
http://metaleater.com/video-games/feature/why-feminist-frequency-almost-made-me-quit-writing-about-video-games-part-1

Part 2:
http://metaleater.com/video-games/feature/why-feminist-frequency-almost-made-me-quit-writing-about-video-games-part-2

Part 3:
http://metaleater.com/video-games/feature/why-feminist-frequency-almost-made-me-quit-writing-about-video-games-part-3

Part 4:
http://metaleater.com/video-games/feature/why-feminist-frequency-almost-made-me-quit-writing-about-video-games-part-4

Part 5:
http://metaleater.com/video-games/feature/why-feminist-frequency-almost-made-me-quit-writing-about-video-games-part-5

These are a pro-click, if you've got the time. The title is a bit hyperbolic, but in the Age of Upworthy it only ranks about a 4.0 on my highly-tuned Clickbait-O-Meter.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I don't think I saw it here, but Linkara posted a new History of Power Rangers set of videos. I think it's interesting to see where that show went after I stopped watching it as a kid, and in particular the season Linkara talks about this time seems pretty different and neat.

Here's the link. For the record, I haven't watched them yet.

You know, I appreciate the effort he puts into these, but good God they are way, way longer than they need to be. This most recent set clocks in at a full two hours, and if past episodes are anything to go by, it's pretty much just 100% straight plot summary. Every now and then there's an interesting anecdote or two behind-the-scenes, and with a title like "History of Power Rangers" I was really hoping he would go more into the production side of things. How were they made? How did the cast them? How did the writers deal the fact that they had no control over almost half the footage? There are probably a lot of good stories there, and I don't really give a poo poo which plastic weapon the Red Ranger killed Rubber Monster #2976 with, which is honestly all this series is.

It doesn't help that Linkara's voice can get really grating after a while.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 25, 2015

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

To this day I'm grateful that the prequels exist if only because we got Racer, Starfighter, and Republic Commando.

What happened to Star Wars games, anyway? After the Force Unleashed came out, they just sort of..... dried up. You used to be able to count on at least two or three every year, but the only ones I can think of that have come out since 2008 are TFU2 and The Old Republic.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

Well, there's a new Battlefront coming.

And that's the first AAA title since TOR, right? I get that after Lucasarts shut down there would be a lull, but for the last four or five years of its existence it was mostly cranking out low-effort crap like Star Wars Angry Birds and Kinect and some Clone Wars-related shovelware. Were people just not interested in Star Wars games after 2008?

EDIT: Oh, I can't believe I forgot about Lego Star Wars. Never played them, so I can't vouch for their quality, but was that where all their money was going?

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 5, 2015

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Gianthogweed posted:

Fedora with a suit looks good if you are currently in the 1960s

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Asuron posted:

t was always pretty dark, but at the end it was just flatout depressing. The death of all the auxiliary Animorphs, Jakes depression, the group blowing up a Yeerk pool with thousands of people in it.The only bright spot at the end was the book where Marco, Tobias and Ax go on a group mission and roll a tank over Chapmans house.

There was also a weird one where half of it was Jake and the Animorphs teaming up with a group of campers to defend the Free Hork-Bajir valley, and the other half was his great-great-grandfather doing basically the same thing but as a infantry lieutenant in the Civil War. The Hork-Bajir were freed slaves, the campers were some townsfolk in Tennessee, and the Yeerks were the Confederacy.

The quality of the books varied a hell of a lot, but I applaud the series for never being afraid to try really weird poo poo, like, all the time.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 2, 2015

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Gertrude Perkins posted:

So, this may be a reach, but I'm watching this semi-obscure 80s exploitation film Ms. 45, and there's a scene where a homeless man finds a severed hand in a rubbish bin.

The resemblence is uncanny...

Is it possible that Doug didn't just put together a "generic homeless" costume, and was in fact inspired by a cult rape-revenge flick?

It's amazing to me that in the entire process of

1) watching a "cult rape-revenge flick"
2) making the mental connection between it and an internet movie reviewer's skit character
3) that you talk about with people you've never met online
4) hunting down the exact video of this this character appears in
5) screencapping the movie
6) screencapping the video review
7) copy-pasting the images to this post
8) writing this post

your only thought was "Yeah, HE'S the weird one"

I completely acknowledge that there's a certain sense of irony to me making THIS post, but eh

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Moartoast posted:

Noah Caldwell-Gervais words

Yeah I don't always agree with his arguments, but his videos are consistently well-researched and well-stated (if not necessarily flawless from a productions standpoint, although they have gotten much better), and overall he's just a really cool dude. He has a couple of car maintenance and travel vlogs that are pretty good watching too.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

BigRed0427 posted:

Speaking of Noah Caldwell-Gervais, I also sat through his video about the CoD Series' single player campaigns. From his video, i kind of wanna play Advance Warfare now.

Yeah, between that video and some of Lazyfire's LPs I kinda want to try some of the later CoD after MW3, which was so disappointing it sort of turned me off of the franchise altogether. But Black Ops 2, which came out in 2012, is still $59.99 on Steam for some reason :psyduck:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

DStecks posted:

It's that time of year again, folks: time for Todd year-end list predictions.

Take Me To Church will very probably get the #1 spot on the worst list, but I don't know if I'd toxx for that. I'm expecting Megan Trainor to make at least two appearances on the worst list, Dear Future Husband and Marvin Gaye were both rancid. As for best list, this was a weak year, maybe even more so than 2014. What Do You Mean will probably squeak out a spot on the best list for lack of competition. If Todd is feeling like a goofus, he might put Uptown Funk on the list again because it charted so late into the year.

Rachel Platten's Fight Song is my dark horse pick for #1 worst. He could probably copy-paste his review for Katy Perry's Roar with the names changed and it would work pretty well. Other picks: Thinking Out Loud, Watch Me Nae Nae, Renegades, Good For You

Shut Up and Dance is probably going on the best list. He put Cobra Starship on a best-of list a few years ago and they've got the same nerds-making-dance-songs-for-nerds vibe that he's mentioned he likes. And Adele is sure as poo poo going to be on it too.

EDIT: As for my personal best, yowza, you weren't kidding that this year is pretty weak. Every time I see a song on the Year-End chart that I like it's from last year. Cool for the Summer, maybe?

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 15, 2015

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Boy, you guys sure are laying some sick burns on those strawmen

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Part 2 was blocked by WMG before I could watch it. :(

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Mad Lupine posted:

It's on his vimeo channel. Check his twitter.

:respek:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

admataY posted:

:siren: Breaking worst-movie-evar news: :siren:

As of today, worst movie ever is officially The Master of Disguise . Nothing I ever saw hurt me like this. nothing.
I feel betrayed by my friend who insist on puting it on his TV .
I feel betrayed by Brent Spiner . Not cool man, not cool .
This is an actual production with an actually budget made by actual once employed in Hollywood people. Someone had to know they were making art crime . Someone had to stop it .

Also, gently caress rollergator even rifftrax couldn't salvage it.

My favorite Master of Disguise fact:

IMDB posted:

The scene at the Turtle Club happened to be filming on September 11, 2001. When word of the terrorist attacks reached the set, the cast and crew observed a moment of silence.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Mraagvpeine posted:

By that logic, Star Trek Beyond is going to be a good movie.

It's being directed by the guy who turned the Fast and Furious series from a punchline to some of the best action movies around, so I'm hopeful.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

We've had our Wrath of Khan remake, now they're moving on to Search for Spock. Right down to destroying the Enterprise :nallears:.

I unironically can't loving wait for The Voyage Home remake.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Puppy Time posted:

Her motivation has pretty much been to help people and generally do good guy things;

I don't know if this was your intention, but you're sort of proving his point. "helping people and generally doing good guy things" is the blandest motivation you could possibly have. Compare Luke in the OT: his motivation when we meet him was "get the gently caress out of Space Alabama" but changed to "get revenge on the Empire for killing his aunt and uncle" and "become a Jedi." None of which are particularly unique or world-shattering, but at least they're specific and actionable.

Hopefully Rey gets more of a character in the sequels, though. At this point she basically has the same goals as Luke did, it just took her a whole movie to get there.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Tracula posted:

To get in my own two cents one thing I always hated about the prequels that nobody ever addresses was the fact they give Yoda and Palpatine lightsabers. I just never thought of either of them as needing one since their power with the Force was great enough otherwise. Yoda tells Luke that size matters not and all that while in RotJ Palpatine is even dismissive of it as some "Jedi weapon."

I don't Yoda having one. It's a Jedi weapon and he IS a Jedi, after all, and him finally lighting it up is a pretty good indicator that the galaxy has gone down the shitter so much that even "luminous beings" like him are forced to fight like the rest of us. I also like the symbolism of him losing it during his duel with Palpatine and never making another one when he went into exile.

Agreed on Palpatine, though. I always thought that the only reason that Vader and Dooku used them was because they were former Jedi, so people born and raised Sith like Palpatine and Maul wouldn't use them.

I REALLY like Grievous keeping and using the lightsabers of fallen Jedi as his trophies, though. He was a loving badass in the 2003 cartoon series.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Tracula posted:

Exactly. Hell, he uses it against Doku in Ep. 2 as well so it wasn't just that one time even.

That's the time I was referring to, actually. The Jedi are about to march to full-scale war for the first time in... well, EVER, and even people who are supposed to be above that, like Yoda, are being swept up in it. If he had busted it out just to kick someone's rear end with and then have everything return to the status quo, I'd agree with you, but the whole last act of that movie is basically the beginning of the end of the Jedi and the Republic.

Was the ensuing duel kinda stupid-looking? Well, yeah. Yoda vs. Palpatine was a way better example of two incredibly powerful Force-users at the top of their game trying to kill each other by any means necessary.

EDIT: That said I am willing to acknowledge that it might have been all an accident and I'm reading too much into this, though. I don't want this thread to turn into the awful, awful CD Star Wars thread.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 28, 2016

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Todd's best-of is up for everyone now.

Demi Lovato has ALWAYS been the best of the Disney expats, IMO. Ariana oversings to the point where she's indecipherable, Miley is trying way, waaaaaay too hard to be cool and edgy, and Selena is boring as poo poo and has some of the laziest lyrics I've ever heard.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

I was watching his Kingdom of Heaven review and man he should have watched the Director's Cut it is like 10000000000x better than the theatrical cut

Yeah, the KIngdom of Heaven DC is absolutely my favorite Ridley Scott joint and probably in my top 10 favorite movies ever. At almost four hours it's a hell of a commitment though. The Blu-ray also adds a pre-movie overture, intermission, and entr'acte, which is kinda fun.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 20, 2016

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

a loud, attention consuming and inescapable cacophony within its own echo chamber (ie: when one focuses tightly on its little self-re-enforcing world), but the further you pull away from it, the more you realize that it has near zero impact on the "real world"

But enough about Something Awful! :rimshot:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

As long as we're talking about Joe, did he ever make a Controversies 2015 video?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Terrible Star Wars argument inbound. Deploying countermeasures:

https://twitter.com/ShadowTodd/status/707798278943932417

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

DStecks posted:

And frankly, if she doesn't agree with his thoughts on violence re: feminism, she would probably not let him use her twitter account to say things that get her harassed.

This is why I don't bother differentiating who says what on the FF twitter feed. By letting Jonathan use the account to post opinions without posting a contrasting opinion or clarifying who's actually saying them, Anita's endorsing them.

It's like if Barack Obama's Facebook page said "I'm voting for Donald Trump and you should too." It doesn't matter if an intern actually wrote it, they're still using his voice to say it and by letting the statement stand, Barack Obama just endorsed Donald Trump.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

God's not Dead isn't just insulting to me as an Atheist, but insulting to Christians by comparing them to the characters in the movie.

Also, how hard is it to look up great theologians like Saint Augustine or whoever for your arguments about God? They've been debating the existence of God and Evil for literally two thousand years and they've come up with a lot of better arguments than the ones presented by douche in the movie!

SAINT!? What are you, some kind of Cath-o-lic?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Moartoast posted:

This is brought up nearly every time a Noah Caldwell-Gervais video is posted here, and IMO he should start looking for someone else entirely to edit his videos, if he hasn't already. From what I gather from the little he talks about himself, he's an overworked lower-middle-class person in what sounds like a colossally lovely neighbourhood. He probably dedicates most of what little free time he has to the actual playing and writing of what he's critiquing (as well as the other fairly ambitious travel side-projects he does), while editing corresponding video cuts and the best takes for videos that last an hour or longer is a hell of a task that's not really necessary to delivering the overall point of his writing, so he just throws in the most adequate bare-minimum for that.

I thought he posted a video a few months back about how his Patreon actually made him enough money to stop working at the pizza place, but he wound up taking some part-time pizza slinging work because he was bored or something? Either way, his content is good enough that I can overlook his editing/sound mixing issues, but I think a little extra effort could go a hell of a long way.

I also kinda want a video where he shoots the poo poo with Super Bunnyhop.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Jack Gladney posted:

As an adult who doesn't play with children's toys,

Good thing you added this preface or else I wouldn't know how cool you are.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Cinema Sins is bad, but what makes it literally unwatchable for me is the the loving dinging noise. I might be the only one, but it's like nails on a chalkboard for me.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm still bummed we lost Breaking Madden (the videos anyway)

Aw man, really? those articles were some of the funniest things I've ever read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Jsor posted:

Extra Credits' Dan did a really good look at that dumb as hell "Tracer's butt" blowup that happened. Though sometimes I think dignifying all the whiners with a response is just encouraging them, I learned a lot about animation and character design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmLkVtqjf1A

This is neat. Is this a one-off, or are there other videos in this series? All I'm getting is Extra Credits videos, whose topics can be interesting but the pitch-shifted voice drives me up the loving wall.

• Locked thread