Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Hey so I watched the Foodfight review Phelous, Lupa, and Brad did, and have decided Phelous's sense of humor is something I want more of in my life. What are some good reviews to check out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Mraagvpeine posted:

With the drama at CA, I'm a little paranoid at what might have really gone down at Mythbusters. Probably nothing as dramatic, but you never know.

Well Mythbusters isn't a start-up manned by controlling manchildren, so it has that.

At least as far as I know.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Man I need to remember where I left on watching the Baywatching episode, because I need to jump back on this cheesy train.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The problem with American Sniper is that it's IRL Stolz Der Nation

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
War on Terror is the new Holocaust as far as movies go.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Clint should make another movie starring himself and an Orangutan.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The Boyhood thing is fine as long as they don't pull a Brad Jones/Tree of Life and keep talking about it for five years.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

MonsieurChoc posted:

In Brad's defense, Tree of Life is a loving terrible movie.

Not in his defense, it's been years and everyone has moved on including the cinema snobs he's parodying.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
It's the even-nerdier Myers Briggs test!

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

BreakAtmo posted:

http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/top-ten-best-hit-songs-of-2014-pt-1-7149346

Todd's Best 2014 Songs Part 1 is up.

Also he jokes about exactly this. Could be a coincidence, but... I wonder. :tinfoil:

Todd did say he read the old thread and was thinking about registering before it got gassed or locked, I forgot which.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

It's kind of impressive that Bruno Mars had both a "Lazy Song" and "Uptown Funk" in him. He is large, and contains multitudes.

Of songs.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Just gonna leave this here.

https://twitter.com/Vice_Is_Hip

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

TheMaestroso posted:

Listening to the first episode of WEE, and both hosts have declared that they enjoy Ke$ha... :negative:

This is because Ke$ha is amazing.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Metal Loaf posted:

On that note, I think Alice Cooper has the right idea when he says Lady Gaga an Ke$ha and Katy Perry are all better rock stars than most contemporary rock artists.

Haha, he said that? I knew there was a reason I liked that guy.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Shark Tale is better once you realize it's that scene in Eastern Promises where a gay mobster has to have sex with a woman to prove he can take over the family, but with sharks.

Also horrifying CGI.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Kunster posted:

I do because AS pulls poo poo like defending mental institutions that put shock collars on kids because they shake their hands and taze a kid over and over again for not making his bed. And F-Plus painted the objection as "Man, internet weirdos am I right", prefacing it as a good organization that helps people.

I know folk find me odd for being peeved about it, but it's more of an ingrained problem with this sort of stuff than exclusively F+.

Nah man, I totally get where you're coming from. F+ seems like good guys who wouldn't intentionally support a lovely organization though.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The idea of Todd being perplexed by JJBA is immensely funny to me.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

ninjahedgehog posted:

Honestly, I'm sort of surprised he hasn't done Ice Ice Baby yet.

Vanilla Ice is not a one-hit wonder. He got famous enough to be in a Ninja Turtles movie and have a movie of his own.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Tracula posted:

Holy poo poo. Just when I think MovieBob is the worst thing ever he somehow gets even shittier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhYMAEBOR_4

The first six minutes of a twelve minute video are all dedicated to his awful skits and then he goes about making his point in the dumbest way possible. I like how he makes anyone who disagrees with his point the biggest dumbass strawman dudebro in every single video. I almost want to read his Super Mario Bro's 3 book just to see how much of a trainwreck it is.

Jesus Christ.

Most of what I know about Moviebob is that he makes boring but mostly okay-seeming movie reviews and seems like a sane person from what I see get retweeted on my twitter feed. But this is... somehow worse than the Irate Gamer.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Geez, I hope I never start an internet review show where I ramble about how videogames will never again reach the heights of the first three Crash Bandicoot and Spyro games.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

DStecks posted:

Other M was Yoshio Sakamato throwing up its hands and saying "we really don't get why you people like Metroid, at all."

FTFY

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

BigRed0427 posted:

Despite everyone saying Jupiter Ascending sucked, I still want to see it. The Wachowskis are almost the only people making big sci-fi, space operas these days (Besides Guardians of the Galaxy)

It's probably brilliant and people just aren't getting it.

Or it sucks. But I'm gonna lean on the former til I see it myself.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
A Basement Rapist Reviews was always a horrible idea, and it speaks well of Red Letter Media that they've abandoned it.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Dear person who's about to post about how a fictional character commiting violence towards women is different from a fictional character being a rapist: I don't care

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

JB50 posted:

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace Review (Part 1 of 7)
RedLetterMedia

Views:

Looks like the schtick worked to me.

JB50 posted:

Sounds like we got some jealous critics in this thread. Youre just mad you dont 10,000 dollars a month on Patreon.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Yup. You've got it totally right. Look at these hack frauds, editing, acting, building sets, doing effects, and producing content on a shoestring budget. How dare they hope to attain the comedy heights of an international star with all of a channel's weight thrown behind him.

They just don't have the talent, they should give up.

You care.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Kunster posted:

That poo poo lead to Josh Hadley having a swearing fit at Diamanda Hagan, thinking she was making GBS threads on Heavy Metal when she just had her hands tied next to Doug and not be able to elaborate on well, anything. She guested on another episode and Josh started by apologizing to her.

Can we stop talking about Josh Hadley? He's a horrible uninteresting person who doesn't even have a show with Brad anymore.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Mraagvpeine posted:

Political correctness is a very ugly game where plenty of people cannot keep up with the ever changing rules.

Why the gently caress can't I call people **********

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Good people at the Escapist, please leave now.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
NAViGaTR is amazing. This weird awkward old man engaging with videogames on a bizarre level is endlessly funny.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

a starwar betamax posted:

I'm disgusted and repulsed by men who chop their dick and gum drops off and have a surgical wound stretched open into a "vagina" so I would probably call them a tranny but I don't want to hurt their feelings.... poor guy had his tally whacker chopped off after all

Thanks to JB50 for running and crying to GBS so we could get quality posts like this. This was a worthy trade to get back at those mean people who criticized your fave internet show.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Haha, even the dude who runs a hateblog that drove a trans game designer off the internet is upset.

EDIT: Someone is gonna ask for context, so here it is http://ettinjiggywithit.tumblr.com/post/106855388993/that-time-zak-smith-ran-a-harassment-blog

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Gianthogweed posted:

I always thought GBS was a SJW safe space, hence all the probations and bannings for racism, sexism and libertarianism. But I guess that's changed.

Hahaha. Haha. Ha.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I think people are disappointed because while random people might not be up on trans rights, people like Doug and the RLM crew are on the internet where there's been more of a push for trans rights and they're expected to know better. I don't think anyone is accusing them of being awful irredeemable people for this, it's just a criticism.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cyron posted:

No gbs is better then this tumblr reject Thread. Hell this is the only thread that still give a poo poo about gg on the forum.

You are adorable.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

TheMaestroso posted:

You may have missed the WickedHate storm about eight pages ago.

I looked back at it. Correction: there is one person calling Doug a horrible person for saying a slur followed by a bunch of people dogpiling on that person for unrelated dumb stuff they've said in the past.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Hbomberguy is easily the best poster in this thread.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Foma posted:

Not sure if this fits with the theme of the thread, but this essay struck me as correct and changed the lens I see the world through a little bit. http://slatestarcodex.com/2014/09/30/i-can-tolerate-anything-except-the-outgroup/

No this wretched bit of Golden Mean Fallacy is not internet criticism.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Foma posted:

I am not sure at all how you got the Golden Mean Fallacy from that article. I can understand that it might not be considered internet criticism.

Because that is literally all SSC guy writes. That and how the dysgenic effect of poor people having more children might be reversing, at least among whites.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Wheat Loaf posted:

Jeremy Irons has since turned out to be kind of an rear end, I suppose.

True, but that doesn't mean he's less amazing as an actor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
So as an avid anime-watcher and critic, what shows would you recommend to follow along with these reviews?

• Locked thread