Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
^---Holy poo poo we get it, the thread's moved past this.

DStecks posted:

Which he qualified with "Everybody tells me it's great, and I should really play it before passing judgement, but I just cannot get past the art style".

It's sort of strange since the art style that he seems to hate only really become apparent in CG cut scenes and there weren't a huge amount as I recall. I guess the portraits as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
His Ultima series is actually really informative, fun and good. Like the episode sup to Ultima 8 are him chatting about the series and it's really interesting and charming. Yeah ther are some bad jokes, but it's clear he loves the series and it shows.

Ultima 8 was still really good and he clearly went into the issues that game had. 9 is when it went into stupid loving BETRAYAL memes and wasting loads and loads of time.

I've said it before, but the dude just burned himself out on being "I'M SO ANGRY ABOUT MOVIES AND GAMES" and miserable all the time.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Jsor posted:

I think I might be done with History of Power Rangers. Linkara got really, really ranty and it was not fun ranty. It felt like the equivalent of listening to someone read their EXTREMELY ANGRY ALLCAPS FORUM POST.

Can you give a run down? Those things are like 2 hours long and I'd rather not slog through it.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
One of Linkara's biggest issues is that he's really not funny enough to pull off an angry rant and not seem incredibly grating and annoying. When he pieces together and clearly states the issues in the work he's excellent and interesting, but holy poo poo is it annoying when he slips into those rants, especially with his weird anti-cursing thing where he says poo poo like "WHAT THE FUNK AND WAGNAL" which is just cringey.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

PiedPiper posted:

Whoops, someone out there holds an opinion I disagree with. How super disappointing.

That tends to be disappointing when it comes to gamergate.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Dec 28, 2015

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Asuron posted:

Your posting hasn't improved, as proven on this very page. You've only changed what side your on, which doesn't mean what you're saying is any less stupid. I mean for christs sake you're actually sincerely advocating for people to be dragged out of their homes and get lynched, what makes you think that's acceptable in any way?

I think he might be using what scientists call hyperbole.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Mr. Enter is really really strange. I'm 90% certain that he literally doesn't understand the concept of sarcasm since he acts baffled and really angry at super obvious jokes in kid's cartoons. Like he'll get super angry and yell about people acting out of character or being strange/mean when it's incredibly obvious it's just a joke.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Wait, how on earth is The Incredibles mean spirited? The only thing I can think of is that whole Objectivist message that some people say it preaches.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
It's more of a general comment, but I feel like this whole nerd thing about "plot holes" and poo poo you'll see with Confused Matthew and Cinema Sins is people not understanding human reactions to things. Someone in another thread made the point that it's like they're watching movies like robots looking for the most perfect and streamlined way any character could do any action and anything that isn't perfectly logical is a ~PLOT HOLE~.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Which Bubblegum Crisis had that episode where a guy finds out his wife was cheating on him, dies and has his mind transferred to a killer robot or something? I remember it because when Comcast first introduced On Demand when I was a kid that was the first anime I watched on it.

My absolute favorite "plot hole" complaint was a nerd being legitimately baffled and annoyed that the dude would go out of his way to save a girl who as I recall broke up with him in Cloverfield. "BEEP BOOP This does not compute. The hu-man male is risking his life for the hu-man female even though the romantic relationship has ended. This is most illogical"

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 31, 2015

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Spoony's going to just ride the Patreon money until it runs out, I don't understand how people don't get this by now.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

achillesforever6 posted:

That and how he would not watch Mad Max Fury Road for reasons

He might actually enjoy something and god forbid that happen.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I really hope Linkara makes 2016 the year of terrible event comics and does a bunch in the style of his Identity Crisis/Countdown/Ultimatum reviews. There are so many he can do but I personally wanna see him look at the incomprehensible Final Crisis, Civil War (it'd be topical too!), and the extremely unpleasant and awful Blackest Night.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Kimble Justice does a review of the Street Fighter movie that isn't just in the Nostalgia Critic style: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ufTcDqAihY

I really appreciate how eclectic Kimble is with the what is reviewed. It's always interesting to see what pops up next.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Tracula posted:

Frank Miller and Michael Bay are also easy targets and low hanging fruit. Doesn't mean they aren't worth picking.

Honestly if someone wants to go after reality TV they should compare Kitchen Nightmares US vs UK. The US version really is dogshit and it clearly plays up the drama with crap like messing with the color situation and orchestral stings, not to mention how staged it is compared to the UK show being much more genuine in every single way.

Kitchen Nightmares US actually rules really hard and if it's staged do you honestly think the show wouldn't be sued into oblivion? You really think a dude is gonna be cool with somebody faking how awful his place is and planting dead rats and poo poo?

The show was sued once as I recall and they lost.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Both Kitchen Nightmares shows are awesome in their own ways. UK is a very interesting in depth look at restaurant management and the foibles that people with little knowledge get into. It's much more calm and the mistakes and usually more understandable issues with running the place.

US is bonkers and deals with literally insane people who have no clue what running a restaurant entails at all. Yes there is more family drama and dumb gimmicks but the sheer insanity of places like Amy's Baking Company or the horrendous Mexican restaurant with buckets of ancient refried beans is worth any of the bad stuff.

Gordon Ramsay is a hero.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
My mom adores the show Hoarders and I can barely watch it, the show is so deeply depressing and infuriating. Like people will literally argue over keeping a jar of mayo that's like 6 years old.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Mr. Fowl posted:

I'm convinced that all Extreme Couponers eventually transition to Hoarders: Buried Alive.

There was actually an episode that was clearly that. A woman would buy all this food and stockpile it due to getting good deals and it would end up rotting and filling her home.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Most of his films are not twist films at this point. He made, like, two or three and people have been making that joke ever since.

If anything he's more of a horror guy/terrible action adventure movie with child stars guy.

Nah, 5 of his movies, 6 if you include Devil, have twist endings. Spoilers I guess if saying a movie has a twist counts? Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, Signs, The Village, The Visit and Devil.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

e X posted:

Not every reveal is a twist.

I'll concede Signs, I guess the whole ending sequence is more of a reveal than a twist.

He isn't ALL twist endings, but he's rightfully known mostly for them because his biggest movies are all twist based

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Doug's just really dumb when it comes to analyzing the deeper meanings of films most times (in a weird twist his Eyes Wide Shut video is...actually not half bad though). He's best when dealing with patently absurd garbage but when he moves into things that require more knowledge of film and a deeper look into it's flaws he kind of falls totally apart.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Wow that Christian Nostalgia Critic guy is....actually not terrible. That's legitimately shocking, he's actually pretty level headed in the video, I was expecting him to be mega conservative.

Jay O posted:

As God intended. I heard like two lines of that song and thought "worst of the year and probably several years to come."

It's such a....weird song. Like aside from the awful lyrics, the cadence and beat are so out of sync with what the song is meant to be.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 13, 2016

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Kim Justice has been doing a review a day for all of this month and all of them are pretty great (aside from the one gimmick one he does in some kind of character for the Destruction Derby episode which I sorta found annoying). I really hope Kim keeps getting subscribers and views, maybe we see a FF 8 retrospective in the future!

Newest video is on World of Illusion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igVbdf2Yo4I

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I was a Sega kid too which is why Kim's stuff really speaks to me, especially that Streets of Rage retrospective. It's honestly refreshing to see someone doing a really interesting in depth style look at differing topics in gaming rather than doing pissed off reviews or Let's Plays. The Rise of Robots video is loving awesome and I wish more internet critics followed in that style of video.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Kim Justice presents a ludicrously detailed and well researched 47 MINUTE documentary style look at Ocean Software: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0TE927j4cs

Oh and expect one review of that level of detail every week this month from looking at the schedule she posted in an earlier video. The sheer amount of effort Kim puts into these videos is absurd and every single one of them is amazingly watchable and interesting.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Kim Justice posted:

Thank you all for the kind comments. Things have suddenly gone quite crazy with the release of this video too, as in "I'm probably gonna get over 500 new subs today" crazy...

This gif and your videos regarding wrestling games had me thinking: I know you're branched out into game films a bit, have you thought of branching out more and doing a look at something non gaming related to do with Wrestling? Maybe a look at a certain era, a certain PPV (Maybe Summerslam 92?) or just a retrospective of your memories of it as a whole from when you watched.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Hbomberguy posted:

Incidentally, Robocop is one of the greatest satires of fascism ever made. It's about a robot programmed for justice and his attempts to truly help the world, even going as far as to inhumanly, unforgivingly target the corruption of his own department. It's a movie that says, if cops really were a force for justice, they would be shooting the rich, whose arms would get super-long for no reason as they fall to their deaths. It's a beautiful message that stands the test of time.

I joke but Robocop 1 and 2 are incredibly smart films. There's a continuous theme of robots reprogramming themselves that make some cool points about how ideology functions.

Robocop 3 is really bad but it kinda almost reverses in on itself and becomes an unintentional satire of 80's to early 90's action films taken to an absurd level. It's just so loving stupid and hits so many of the worst kinds of tropes of those sorts of movies I almost feel like it's intentional on some level.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Baka-nin posted:

The problem with R3 is that it's one of those films that look like they were made by people who didn't see the first two, nor read the scripts or spoke with the previous team for any serious length of time, but did get some excerpts, production stills and highlight reels.

The first two have a private police force with some Fascistic imagery, so in R3 you have literal storm troopers purging the ghetto's. Robocop battles outlandish thugs, so here we have a gang staffed entirely by goons like those cackling rapists from the first one. The media distorts reality and puts a gloss on terrible events, here they're actively broadcasting propaganda. It's peppered with parody adverts, fleshing out the world and ribibng on consumerism, Oh poo poo we forgot about them, lets shove one in at the end just before the big showdown. Robocop fights another robot/cyborg.... well we can't afford that so lets have him fight a Japanese guy with a sword and only slap on some metallic make up at the end. The other problem is that in addition to not really being thought out none of these elements really seem to gel, they all just seem like loose threads barely touching. Oh and chasing after a family audience with a rating tone down and some awful child character filled to the gills with `attitude`tm.

Not getting Peter Weller to return was also a major loss, though we did get Naked Lunch because of it,so it wasn't all bad.

That's where I'm coming from where it hits this almost absurd parody of that style of film. It's taking a hyper violent and dark film and sucking out everything that made it popular, changing it in ways that totally clash with it's basic concepts, the lead character isn't played by the same actor, it's toned down because there was a very popular cartoon/it had a huge toy market etc. It just hits all those tropes and it a perfect distillation of that type of film.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Oh hey Kim Justice just released another 35 loving minute documentary this time on the rise and fall of Mirrorsoft: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHfjANn5J04

Oh and expect ANOTHER one next week.

It's pretty loving hilarious to compare the insane output Kim puts out (all videos of amazing quality as well) with other video makers.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

hopeandjoy posted:

My Suicide Squad opinion: it seems that from the trailers it's trying too hard to be edgy.

But it's not like trailers necessarily represent the finished movie so :shrug:

I keep hearing people say this edgy thing and I honestly can't understand it. It looks like a fun dark superhero movie. I legitmately don't understand this "Trying too hard to be 2 EDGY FOR YOU!" thing that keeps getting thrown around. It seems way more comedic than edgy.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Fans posted:

Every one of Harley Quinn's lines in the trailer were cringingly awful. Maybe the movie will not be awful, but I'm not holding my breath.

I thought they were fine. She looks like she'll steal the movie. Let's not act like Harley's every had amazing lines in any interpretation she's ever had.

Also Moviebob seems to be in the minority as a few other internet critics, including Chris Stuckmann (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoDGX0b5lzo) say it's a loving mess of a movie.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

e X posted:

Okay, I have serious trouble processing that sentence. You are saying that most other critics liked it, right?

I misread his quote and thought Moviebob liked the movie, therefore he would be in the minority of people who liked the movie, rather than the majority who didn't like it.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I guess personally I don't understand the whole idea of wanting the MCU or DCU to fail. I can understand not watching them, but actively hoping interest wanes and they fail and superhero movies disappear just seems so loving weird. How does them being popular affect anything? Plenty of other poo poo gets made you can watch and enjoy.

It's just such a weird concept to me.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I used to like h3h3 but he's kinda shown his rear end as a massive idiot about the whole Pewdiepie think so that sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Kim Justice just put out an HOUR AND A HALF documentary on Heroes of Wrestling, perhaps the worst Pro Wrestling PPV of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yBOisPxoBk

Even if you don't give a poo poo about wrestling you need to watch it purely due to the sheer amount of effort Kim puts into it. It still blows me away the insane amount of research and work Kim puts into her videos, it's madness.

• Locked thread