Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Did you guys know that Ishtar took 12 years to watch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

OldTennisCourt posted:

Kimble Justice did his Streets of Rage retrospective a little while back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLPfL4jsZvg

Streets of Rage might be my favorite Genesis game series, I played 2 constantly and 3 a lot too. I was never a fan of 1, I guess the lack of enemy health bars kind of bugged me.

I've never watched them before, but I think I'll give it a go for Streets of Rage. Though I only ever had the first one. I spent a lot of time playing that and Golden Axe.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
They apparently released some sort of recent Golden Axe. I saw the box in stores but didn't go near it because I was afraid. So it's possible...

OldTennisCourt posted:

You're in luck! Kimble's done a Golden Axe retrospective too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2XMXpqZnOQ

I've played GA3 on that Genesis compilation they released a few years back and it's...not terrible. The graphics are middle of the road Genesis and it's nothing spectacular, but it's okay.

I've only played Genesis GA1, and I'll admit that no matter how many times I've played it I never beat it. The last boss is some real bullshit.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 24, 2015

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I've long accepted that most people disagree with me, but using "Let it Go" as an empowerment anthem struck me the wrong way because that's not how I interpreted the song in context at all. As a standalone song? Sure. In the context of the film, though, Elsa is the most alone and uncomfortable with herself she's ever been. It's abundantly clear that she's not really free, she panicked and unleashed her powers and ran away from her problems and the person who already cared about her. At the point Let it Go happens, she's basically having an unhealthy rebel streak, she's doing the equivalent of the kid with a very religious upbringing descending into drugs, booze, and partying once they hit college. Or even "yeah, well... I didn't like you anyway!"

It's perfectly understandable because her parents done hosed up, but she's still being incredibly immature and passing it off as freedom. She's not comfortable with herself, and she does care what other people think, hence hiding and refusing to talk to visitors when they come. Not out of malice, or because she's above them, it's very obvious (and understandable) that the reason she won't talk is because she's still embarrassed and afraid. The song is an attempt to convince herself she's confident when she's not. The castle, the dress, the song, it's all her desperately trying to find something to cling to so she can be "free" and show that she "doesn't care" when really, all of it is just so she doesn't have to face Anna and the kingdom, or take responsibility for the accident. It's not until much later when she faces responsibility and reconciles with Anna that she really becomes comfortable with herself and her powers/identity.

Not to mention the whole "Elsa's powers cause real harm" thing makes the whole gay or identity metaphor a bit rocky. I mean, certainly closeted people can be irritable due to stress, and lash out at those they care about due to that. They may even need to reconcile and apologize for harsh words they've said later. It's not like this has never happened, but painting the whole thing as a gay allegory is kind of awkward because of the very real, measurable fallout Elsa causes and needs to deal with. The entire movie's plot is predicated on the fact that Elsa's powers cause harm to a large number of people and she can't/won't fix it unless she can be at ease with herself, which really undermines most identity metaphors unless you want to postulate very unfortunate things.

Tracula posted:

I really want Spoony to review Big Trouble in Little China. He's said a ton of times it's his favorite movie ever and I pretty well love most of Carpenter's work and I'd adore if he devoted a month to the guy, going over his best and worst films.

I honestly know nothing about that film, but it does have good ratings. Just from reading descriptions I can't tell what it is; or rather, I see that it's an action film, but I can't tell whether or not it's serious. I'm guessing it has to be pretty schlocky though, because Spoony makes fun of himself for liking it. I know in his Scott Pilgrim vlog thing he drew attention to the fact that Brad's favorite movie is Caligula while his is Big Trouble in Little China as a joke.

Is it worth watching?

E: New Ross' Game Dungeon soon!

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Feb 26, 2015

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Hbomberguy posted:

imho that's why lets plays are prevalent in a lot of ways. The real fun of gaming is the participation between the players, it's just taking it in a new direction. Mario Party is garbage and always has been but playing Mario Party with my pals was the coolest thing.

Mario Party is a metaphor for the universe; callous, arbitrary, and a catalyst for hatred.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Sometimes I just want to get all the "certified weird" personalities to work on a project together. Just get Hideo Kojima, Alan Moore, Frank Miller, etc etc to work on some giant mixed media franchise and watch the fireworks.

It's probably just be terrible, or even "good but inoffensive" because none of them would be able to have complete control which would severely reign in their individual quirks, but still.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I want to see an in-depth thing on Ghost Hound. I'm not sure I can say that I really liked the show, but if you read academic works on Japanese New Religions it's kind of amazing. I don't know if the creators researched it, or the traits that define them are just ingrained in the Japanese cultural consciousness (or a bit of both), but the entire thing is absolutely fascinating from the perspective of how new religious movements are viewed in Japan, or at least viewed by the writers and watchers of weird slightly philosophical and pretentious anime. It even captures that sense of reflexive distrust people have of these movements after the terrorism by Aum. I can't say enough about how it's just a perfect distilled microcosm on every trait mentioned in every book and paper I read about shinshūkyō.

(Disclaimer: I'm biased to this idea because I wrote an essay on this once. I still think it really deserves far more attention and from someone with a broader academic background and reading on Japanese New Religious Movements than I have.)

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Old Man Murray?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
The only thing I know about Demo Reel is the first 5 minutes of the first episode, and Brad's parody of it. The parody was pretty great, whatever they gently caress they were doing with Batman, not so much.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Yeah, I also updated Lupa's with Movie Nights. I didn't have Lindsay on there because when we made the thread she was in that weird between period from leaving as the Chick and having not unveiled a new show yet.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I lost my poo poo when he mentioned the Godfather in the video someone linked earlier too. It was just too much and I'm glad you used it in the video.

Rebochan posted:

The Banjo-Kazooie soundtrack is the icing on the cake...

Except now I might mentally associate Click Clock Woods with racism and sexism. toy skulls.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

KayTee posted:

Alright, I give up - can someone please explain this joke to me.

Red Letter Media likes using the terrible trailer to the terrible movie Ishtar. They used it a lot in their Best of the Worst on the Star Wars Holiday Special instead of actually talking about the special, and in their livestream they had this surreal set of like half an hour where it was just the Ishtar trailer on loop. Then backwards. Then played at like 1/128 speed. And so on. It's a meme now.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

KayTee posted:

My friend made me watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzY7Ywv_JiI

It sold me on the card game - it's on the way, but goddam Will is loving annoying in this. (e: On second thought: everyone is loving annoying in this) Is he like this in all his videos? I remember when he wrote columns in Dragon magazine, and he was pretty cool and chill and whatever in that - really helped me in my games. God only knows when the creature in this video emerged. Any thoughts?

Well, he's definitely pretty obnoxious in the first few minutes in that one. I don't find him annoying on Tabletop generally, maybe a bit over the top, but not to that degree. I wonder if it was just the game or something. I'd recommend their Fiasco videos, but that's also much different from their usual fare given the nature of Fiasco.

The one I tend to find annoying on Tabletop is Felicia Day. She's not annoying in all of her appearances by any means (she was fine in Fortune and Glory), but on one or two of them (Last Night on Earth and Munchkin I think) she got absurdly obnoxious in an attention-whory kind of way.

E: Oh hey, coincidentally someone just posted that Diabetus is doing a D&D 4E LP, for whoever wanted to see how a tabletop LP might work:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3561713
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3467826

Looks like the first few are audio-only, though.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 20, 2015

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Oh hey, I haven't checked in a while, what's going on with Spoon...

oh, another month of wrestling.

E: Gonna be honest, I have no idea, his wrestling videos could be the most tightly edited, polished, funny, insightful reviews known to man. But I have negative interest in wrestling so I ain't watchin em.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
New Matthewmatosis on Super Mario 3D World

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Ross' Game Dungeon has a new episode. Ross has thought way too much exactly the right amount about how cults work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnkqdMS1LkE

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

achillesforever6 posted:

http://channelawesome.com/pop-quiz-hotshot-pilot-episode/
Good lord how can they be this incompetent; this is the "improved" show too. :stare:

Even the audio is atrocious, Brad has to be french kissing that mic or you cannot hear anything.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 31, 2015

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
This is like one of those local cable shows that serial killers run to get new victims.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
These microphones are the worst.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
That wasn't even fun bad. That was just embarrassing.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Mr. Fowl posted:

All that these "contestants" have to do is realize that there are gameshow laws, get a lawyer, and Michaud & Co. are hosed.

I mean, yeah, if you want a bunch of terrible Channel Awesome uberfans to dox you and send you death threats that's a great idea.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Jay O posted:

Yup, I was going to say that Fullmetal Alchemist was the populist fun gateway title at the time that Elfen Lied was the "IT'S FOR ADULTS" title. Now it's Attack on Titan and Madoka Magica. At least across that sampling, it's three good shows out of four?

Man, I can't really argue with FMA being a populist fun title, but if you're presenting it in that light you're gonna run into some rough spots once you hit Night of the Chimera's Cry and the tail end of the series.

Also, I'm glad that me giving up on Elfen Lied in disgust isn't just because I'm incapable of appreciating art.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 2, 2015

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I couldn't watch Attack on Titan for the lamest, shallowest reason. The first episode's animation just felt weird to me. It was really off-putting. The show was just so still, like I was watching a slideshow that sometimes decided to move. It's not like no other cartoons or anime have that problem, but it really jumped out at me in Attack on Titan. (This is during the talky bits, the action scenes were animated just fine, almost making me wonder if it was a budget issue or something).

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Look at the initials and then watch the Ishtar trailer instead of talking about what else they stand for.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
ANOTHER new Game Dungeon. Wolfenstein. He does a drat good job, it's hard to review soulless, mediocre things.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Despite being around since Doug started bothering James, the only anniversary I've seen is the first one. That was enough for me. I don't think I ever even watched the first episode of any of them. The crossover content they generated was pretty neat, though.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I didn't actually know Gundam wasn't popular in the US. I never really watched it but it struck me as something almost everybody vaguely aware of anime knows exists. I guess that doesn't directly translate to popularity.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Mr. Fowl posted:

You have become the one who critiques the critics from within the Internet Critic thread. The most meta of all critics. And thus, the ourobouros is complete; the great serpent, ever-devouring itself that is this thread--glory to my master, oh mighty internet ourobouros!

Man, you guys need to hold off on this poo poo. I haven't gotten the mandatory thread issue cult robes back from the tailor yet.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Annointed posted:

Speaking of Angry Joe, here's his review of Pillars of Eternity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob91E5DXIdY

I admit CRPG's aren't my thing but this game seems to be quite an immersive ball of joy. And apparently the next review is going to be his 100th. Congratulations Joe.

If you're not interested in CRPGs, don't get Pillars. It is super super CRPG-y, by design. I love the game, but it is an archetypal CRPG.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Man, that sucks, I hope Brad gets better, and I'm glad he had the courage to cut them off.

Thaaat said, even though Brad gave out the info himself, let's leave that post as it stands and avoid creepy internet detective work or Brad Twitterwatch on this situation.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I know this could change in an instant, but is Blip making GBS threads the bed for anyone else? I've had loading issues with both Rap Critic and Todd. If I have adblock disabled, the ads never load. If it's on, the little spinning loading circle gets stuck and I can't hit HD or use volume controls or full screen (but the video still plays).

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

achillesforever6 posted:

Also its been really hard to watch DBZ Kai on Toonami because I'm so used to DBZA voice actors and feel like in many cases (Frieza) are much better than the original dub.

Sometimes I legitimately think DBZA is straight up a better show than DBZ. I'm not sure I'd go that far because some of the jokes need familiarity with the source material, and Battle of the Gods reminded how great straight Toriyama goofiness can be, but it's pretty great.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I can't believe these men may control the fate of the Middle East

... wait, that's actually on-topic for this derail

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Cubey posted:

Todd's new video is up, and as I suspected it is a top 10 worst list. 1991, hoo boy.

Wait, on Patreon or for everyone? Because I can't find it.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
It's fine, it just reminded me to go and give Todd $2 a month. :D

E: Yes, I know Todd's is per video

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 23, 2015

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Celery Face posted:

The lyrics got me too. They sound like they were written by a little kid.

I can't really hate the song because it's just so pathetic.

quote:

It's been a long time since you left me
I didn't mean to make you cry
I didn't mean to disappoint you
I didn't mean to tell you lies

You know, out of context, those lyrics sound like a breakup song written as a sequel to Never Gonna Give You Up.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Hmm, I wonder mine i... Milli loving Vanilli? Really?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Thunderfinger posted:

I had Paula Abdul. I'm not sure I know how I feel about this.

You don't have to feel anything if you're a coooold heaaaarted snaaaaake

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

I'll see that and raise you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4PnboqFwiI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

KKall posted:

But yeah, I'll get to him eventually. Eeeeeeeventually.

Brows Held High on The Amanda Show: confirmed.

• Locked thread